Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Experience should be the key in that game, Sligo are a big threat up front and we need to really tighten up at the back, but you have to say Mayo "should" be winning this.
    As for the Rossies, I had a look over on their thread, Fr T U, you've upset Megadodge no end, the man is gone into meltdown there! No sign of Syferus either, think Saturday hurt them really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

Antrim v Fermanagh
    Offaly v Dublin/Kildare
    Clare v Longford
    Cavan v Roscommon
    Still no sign of where the Connaught final will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Connacht final should be in Castlebar. The Connacht Council will throw Sligo an extra few quid to sweeten the deal and we will all be happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I can't see Sligo wanting to travel to Salthill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Can't see anyone wanting to travel to Salthill!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Can't see anyone wanting to travel to Salthill!

Ill travel there, getting out will be the chaos! :D
    If they do it then I can see a major down in the attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Only 3 venues in Connacht able to hold a Connacht final (until 2012) was MacHale Park, Pearse Stadium and Hyde Park. Hyde park was deemed unfit to hold finals due to health & safety in the "Slattery Report". Only 2 venues now available is MacHale and Pearse stadium.

Mayo, Galway and Roscommon have "Home" and "Away" aggrements for Connacht finals involving them. Sligo and Leitrim, not having venues of capacity to hold Connacht finals have an aggrement of the choice of a neutral venue should they get to a Connacht final.

Therefore, the only venue for Mayo v Sligo Connacht final is Pearse Stadium. Unless of course Sligo concede home advantage to Mayo. Or unless they are offered an incentive to hold the Connacht final in the largest venue available in Connacht?

Venue Capacities

MacHale Park: 28,187

Pearse Stadium: 25,341

Dr Hyde Park: 18,750

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Unfortunately I can see Sligo County Board taking a stand on this one, plumping for Galway as the venue that will give the boys the best chance...fans probably don't mind the extra distance, might even fancy a day out in the big smoke...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

When will the call be made on This?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

yop wrote: »
    Ill travel there, getting out will be the chaos! :D
    If they do it then I can see a major down in the attendance.

Good God the traffic was absolutely brutal after the Galway game.It took an hour and 15 minutes to get from the top end of Salthill out to the Headford road roundabout!Total joke.Castlebar is much better able to cope with games of these scale of attendances,far superior traffic flow.I can understand Sligo concerns about conceding home advantage but are they really going to make their supporters travel all the extra distance up to Salthill??!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

seligehgit wrote: »
    Good God the traffic was absolutely brutal after the Galway game.It took an hour and 15 minutes to get from the top end of Salthill out to the Headford road roundabout!Total joke.Castlebar is much better able to cope with games of these scale of attendances,far superior traffic flow.I can understand Sligo concerns about conceding home advantage but are they really going to make their supporters travel all the extra distance up to Salthill??!!

It's the same after every game, my brother left Salthill after the Galway match heading into town, took him two hours get to Jurys and when he got there there was no traffic, all clear, no holdup. He knew someone else left it until 7-8 o'clock before they left and they had the same 2 hour torture and no traffic when they got into town. Salthill doesn't suit anyone, there are serious bottlenecks every direction. It's a terrible venue

When will the call be made on This?

The çccccçccccccccccc are meeting this afternoon so should no by the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I watched the Sligo match and rewatched it. Cant see how they can match Mayo physically. Too big a gap. When they do the short passing or go into contact they will get turned over.

I hear AOS was immense yesterday, seems to be in good form and no sign of that injury.
    Any word on Andy or Alan D since the game?

the hammered Ballyhaunis yesterday
    Breaffy 5-12 v 0-11 Ballyhaunis
    keith higgns didnt no where to put him self there was so many holes in the defence

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

naughto wrote: »
    The çccccçccccccccccc are meeting this afternoon so should no by the evening

Its the Connacht Council who decide the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Its the Connacht Council who decide the venue.

Sepp Blatter would look like a choirboy at one of their meeting!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Soyokakano

Mayo can breathe a sigh of relief that Sligo did their job for them in putting out a dangerous Roscommon side that threatened their drive for 5. Sligo is a much more favourable opposition and Mayo should secure a 5th Nestor cup in 5 years

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Roscommon are overrated and they haven't beaten Mayo in the Championship for about 15 years, they would have been an outside bet as well had they got through the final.

Soyokakano wrote: »
    Mayo can breathe a sigh of relief that Sligo did their job for them in putting out a dangerous Roscommon side that threatened their drive for 5. Sligo is a much more favourable opposition and Mayo should secure a 5th Nestor cup in 5 years

They weren't very dangerous if they couldn't beat Sligo? I think I even saw you tipping Roscommon to win against Sligo and beat Mayo in the final!! Which was nice :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I take it that post is done firmly tongue in cheek. I do think the Connacht final would have been a great spectacle had Roscommon actually won as they would have travelled in huge numbers to McHale.
    However it looks like they had their mind elsewhere on Saturday as was made evident yesterday when it was revealed John Evans was making enquiries with sources in Mayo as to the fitness of the O'Connor brothers less than 3 hours before the ball was thrown in.
    Sligo have deservedly earned their place in the final and you can be rest assured that Mayo will be looking no further than July 19th, however, Mayo are 1/12 to retain the Nestor for a 5th time and deservedly so.

Rawhead wrote: »
    I take it that post is done firmly tongue in cheek. I do think the Connacht final would have been a great spectacle had Roscommon actually won as they would have travelled in huge numbers to McHale.
    However it looks like they had their mind elsewhere on Saturday as was made evident yesterday when it was revealed John Evans was making enquiries with sources in Mayo as to the fitness of the O'Connor brothers less than 3 hours before the ball was thrown in.
    Sligo have deservedly earned their place in the final and you can be rest assured that Mayo will be looking no further than July 19th, however, Mayo are 1/12 to retain the Nestor for a 5th time and deservedly so.

Surely that can't be right :pac:

On the mayo banter page there saying the the Sligo cc met last night and that they would play in Castlebar if they got a bigger size of the gate than normal.
    Don't no how accurate that page is for info mind

naughto wrote: »
    On the mayo banter page there saying the the Sligo cc met last night and that they would play in Castlebar if they got a bigger size of the gate than normal.
    Don't no how accurate that page is for info mind

This is what will more than likely happen.

Sligo will hold out for as much as they can get. From their perspective they're more than likely going to lose, why not get paid more and make it easier on their fans by not forcing them to Salthill.

As far as I'm aware, the way the GAA works finances wise is that you only split the money in league games, championship gate receipts go to Connacht council (or Munster etc) and you are given expenses to cover your team. That's why the holy grail for any county is a div 1 final against the Dubs in Croker.
    I would guess however that Mr Prenty will find a way to increase Sligos funding in some way, as you could have a crowd 10,000 bigger in McHale so everyone's a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

How have they threatened them exactly??

They weren't even good enough to get to play them.

As is the case year in year out with Roscommon folk, they whip themselves up into a frenzy off the back of a few glorified challenge matches.

Big hats, no cattle...as they say in Texas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mrfg

Dont know what you mean by a dangerous Roscommon team, what have they won, Div 2 and 2 Connacht U.21 titles in a row, they have created a hype for themselves which they could'nt back up, they are medicre team at best

padd b1975 wrote: »
    How have they threatened them exactly??

They weren't even good enough to get to play them.

As is the case year in year out with Roscommon folk, they whip themselves up into a frenzy off the back of a few glorified challenge matches.

Big hats, no cattle...as they say in Texas.

I had never heard such hype over an FBD game, than the Rossie's storming victory over Mayo in Castlebar earlier this year!

I see Kerry have installed Jack O'Connor as U21 manager. It seems they are making this grade a priority as they swiftly dispensed with Daragh O'Shea when he failed to produce results this year. When you put this alongside their construction of the centre of excellence it seems they firmly intend to sure up the production line and ensure the Dubs don't have it all to themselves.
    This should be of far bigger concern to us than our noisy neighbours and the appointment of our next U21 manager will give us a good indication as to whether the CB feels the same.

Not sure about the rest of you, but only winning 2 U21 games in the last 7 years is a major concern of mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Jack O'Connor was the minor manager last year (which they won of course), its good to have some consistencies as players move up the ranks, its not uncommon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement