Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

In some ways it is lucky we have had a big break as most of our tall and physically strong attacking players have had niggly injuries. I think one advantage we could have looking towards the other teams is the amount of height we can tog out. You can't manufacture height in the gym as they say.
    - AOS/Freeman/Kirby/Cillian/Conor Loftus
    - SOS/Tom Parsons/Barry Moran
    That's eight attacking players comfortably six foot or more. A long time since I'v seen a Mayo panel with that being available. Donegal create a lot of problems for other teams by creating these mismatches. Bar the two McHughs they are all tall in the front eight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Rawhead wrote: »
    Came on and scored 2 points before the black card. Conor Loftus continues his upward trajectory. Galway the dark horses and the Rossies for Connacht, Mayo a busted flush.
    Rubbish. Mayo are still comfortably the best team in the province and while ourselves and Roscommon are looking like being on an upward curve, Mayo have 4 good years of conditioning behind them. Obviously the fact that we're at home against ye gives some hope but the games against NY and Leitrim were absolute Mickey Mouse contests. Yeer still heavy favourites in most people's eyes I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Rubbish. Mayo are still comfortably the best team in the province and while ourselves and Roscommon are looking like being on an upward curve, Mayo have 4 good years of conditioning behind them. Obviously the fact that we're at home against ye gives some hope but the games against NY and Leitrim were absolute Mickey Mouse contests. Yeer still heavy favourites in most people's eyes I'd say.

Ha, you have to smile at the Galway contingent talking us up at every turn. Their players were at it, now the fans are at it too. It isn't a surprise if you see it coming a mile away lads. How is that blanket defence coming along by the way? We fully expect to have a lot of frees in our own half in this game too. Ye aren't fooling us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Ha, you have to smile at the Galway contingent talking us up at every turn. Their players were at it, now the fans are at it too. It isn't a surprise if you see it coming a mile away lads. How is that blanket defence coming along by the way? We fully expect to have a lot of frees in our own half in this game too. Ye aren't fooling us.
    Even if we know something is coming we still have to deal with it. Its tough to keep winning these type of games. They might get enough things right on the day and we may have an off day.

Galway still gets the blood up though so I hope for a good competitive game with Mayo emerging as winners:)

I never claimed we wouldn't have to deal with it. My point was we aren't buying this 'talk mayo up' spiel.

• Advertisement

I never claimed we wouldn't have to deal with it. My point was we aren't buying this 'talk mayo up' spiel.
    Fair enough.

Another nonsense post. We finished mid table in Division 2. If ye had scored 1 more point against Donegal ye were in the Division 1 semifinals. Yeer basically still the 4th best team in the country while we're probably somewhere between 10th and 13th best. Obviously I'd be hopeful of pulling off a shock at home but ye've coasted the last 4 Connacht's and still have a far better squad than anything else in Connacht. I fully expect our half back line to be totally found out.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Another nonsense post :
    We finished mid table in Division 2. If ye had scored 1 more point against Donegal ye were in the Division 1 semifinals. Yeer basically still the 4th best team in the country while we're probably somewhere between 10th and 13th best. Obviously I'd be hopeful of pulling off a shock at home but ye've coasted the last 4 Connacht's and still have a far better squad than anything else in Connacht. I fully expect our half back line to be totally found out.

Fixed that for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Fixed that for you...

What exactly did you fix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

padd b1975 wrote: »
    What exactly did you fix?

He adjusted the punctuation to imply that the entire post was nonsense.

• Advertisement

Sad when it comes to that 2 and a half weeks out from the match. Guess I'll wait for a match thread.

This thread is crying out for Mayo to have a match.

The GAA need to get their act together. Its ridiculous that some teams have to wait so long to get going !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

blinding wrote: »
    This thread is crying out for Mayo to have a match.

The GAA need to get their act together. Its ridiculous that some teams have to wait so long to get going !

Just the way it is. You get into the league after a few games and then it just stops.

You get excited with the Championship and after a couple of months ( hopefully ) it stops for for about six months.

Give us 40 games a year dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Just the way it is. You get into the league after a few games and then it just stops.

You get excited with the Championship and after a couple of months ( hopefully ) it stops for for about six months.

Definitely need to have many more games,nothing sets the pulses racing as much.Having said that I am not sure the heart could deal with 40 games a year as a fully paid up Mayo supporter given the range of emotions we tend to experience!:)

Here's hoping it ends on a high note on September 20th!:D Eternal Optimists club membership renewed.

It is just too stop start but how can we get a more constant flow with some break of two/three months just to whet our appetite for when it starts again:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

blinding wrote: »
    It is just too stop start but how can we get a more constant flow with some break of two/three months just to whet our appetite for when it starts again:)

It is definitely too 'stop start'.

It has been said before but combining the League and Championship would be a good idea and let it run for six months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

It is definitely too 'stop start'.

It has been said before but combining the League and Championship would be a good idea and let it run for six months.

Absolutely, and with a fixed calendar so many of the fixture headaches dogging clubs would be eliminated. It makes no sense to train so intensely for a summer competition that could be over in a couple of games, meanwhile the years best ties have been played off in wintry conditions in front of small crowds.

Really, if they go down this road then I think it will be the making of the GAA as a serious sports organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I know he has his critics but when I read this, it made me admire him more and what he gave us over the last four years:

If James Horan returns to inter-county management in the future, it won’t be with anyone other than Mayo.

The new Newstalk pundit was strongly linked to the Donegal post after stepping down as Mayo manager last autumn, but he insisted yesterday that he has no ambitions to manage outside his native county.

"I probably see myself (getting back into management) at some stage. I had four great years with Mayo, very enjoyable years but sometimes you just need to recharge and go and do a few different things, learn and get new experiences," he told the Irish Independent.

"And then depending on how things go you never know what's in the future.

"I couldn't see (myself managing someone else) at the moment. I'm happy painting the house and that. I just couldn't see it, no.

"It's not something I've considered or would consider."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I know he has his critics but when I read this, it made me admire him more and what he gave us over the last four years:

If James Horan returns to inter-county management in the future, it won’t be with anyone other than Mayo.

The new Newstalk pundit was strongly linked to the Donegal post after stepping down as Mayo manager last autumn, but he insisted yesterday that he has no ambitions to manage outside his native county.

"I probably see myself (getting back into management) at some stage. I had four great years with Mayo, very enjoyable years but sometimes you just need to recharge and go and do a few different things, learn and get new experiences," he told the Irish Independent.

"And then depending on how things go you never know what's in the future.

"I couldn't see (myself managing someone else) at the moment. I'm happy painting the house and that. I just couldn't see it, no.

"It's not something I've considered or would consider."

Well he certainly brought Mayo forward in huge way.
    And he is still young
    He was dead right to go when he did and he word be a very good man to have back in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Well he certainly brought Mayo forward in huge way.
    And he is still young
    He was dead right to go when he did and he word be a very good man to have back in the future.

Ya agree 100%, I would welcome him back no problem and I love this attitude that there is only one love for him and that is the Green & Red. You just can't beat that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I honestly can't see us playing September football until he does come back...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Shane Walsh out for galway after breaking hand in that tragic car accident outside tuam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Terrible news. Puts it all in perspective. Condolences to the deceased's family and all the best to Shane Walsh who must have suffered some shock

I did'nt hear anything about the accident,just had a look on MWR news.:( RIP that poor man.Without doubt the last thing on Shane Walsh's mind is an inconsequential championship match when looks at the wider scheme of things.

Hopefully he'll see some championship action later in the year after his hand makes a normal recovery.Condolences again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Condolences to the family of the man that passed away. RIP. Hope everyone else recovers ok.

Condolences to the bereaved family and I hope everyone recovers well.

Sport takes a back seat when this kind of thing happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Outrage on the comments under the Irish Independent's article about the accident as it focuses on Shane Walsh's injuries and doesn't mention the deceased as much. In the Independent's defence, he is a sports star in the country and its news that people would be interested in, of course its going to focus on Shane Walsh when he is well known, that's the nature of the world and I dont believe they should be criticised for it.

Speaking of which there was mention in the Mayo Advertiser of a challenge game against Cork last weekend,anybody got the low-down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

All the bookies have also shortened Mayo's odds from 4/7 to either 1/2 or 4/9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Outrage on the comments under the Irish Independent's article about the accident as it focuses on Shane Walsh's injuries and doesn't mention the deceased as much. In the Independent's defence, he is a sports star in the country and its news that people would be interested in, of course its going to focus on Shane Walsh when he is well known, that's the nature of the world and I dont believe they should be criticised for it.

people like to act high and mighty on those comments sections !
    very sad loss of life in real terms
    in Mayo football terms a big boost
    just seen the odds you posted above !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement