Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

looks like no pre-booked stand seat tickets for the galway match for season ticket holders :mad:

noticed stand tickets were on general online sale a few weeks back.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Oldtree wrote: »
    looks like no pre-booked stand seat tickets for the galway match for season ticket holders :mad:

noticed stand tickets were on general online sale a few weeks back.

So we will have to get a seat where ever there is one available? Thats horseSh8te in fairness. They had allocated seating the last time we were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭boosabum

Simple solution, get there as early is possible. The seating allocation last time wasn't great with the Chairde Mayo tickets, general sale tickets were much closer to the half way line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

With the hurling on before hand as well u would want to be there early

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭boosabum

is the hurling a definite ?
    have to do like the germans and leave a towel on the seat when walking the prom :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

any stand tickets in supervalu/centra?

any good parking spots around pearse stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Very excited for Sunday, the closer it gets to the game, the more confident i'm getting

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Very excited for Sunday, the closer it gets to the game, the more confident i'm getting

as a shrule man listening to the Mayo news podcast I'm very excited ! great stories

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

km79 wrote: »
    as a shrule man listening to the Mayo news podcast I'm very excited ! great stories

Any link for same km79?:-)

• Advertisement

km79 wrote:

Your username now makes me wonder

Your username now makes me wonder

I think we have had this conversation before :D I am not

Does Sligo have any hope of beating Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Ah.. the drive for five begins in earnest on Sunday...as a Mayoman living in Galway...I can fecken wait.
    Team will be named tomorrow night will it ??
    Lets start listing our ideas for the starting 15...just in case PH/NC are looking in this thread it might help them out :D:D:D

Hennelly
    Cunniffe
    Keane
    Higgins
    Leeroy
    Vaughan
    Boyler
    SOS
    Big Barry
    Mcloughlin
    AOS
    Doherty
    COC
    Freezer
    DOC

God I hope Freeman starts

2 years ago I felt the exact same as I do now. Not really sure how good we are, have a tricky looking trip to Salthill which looks like its going to make or break us. Galway quiet and ready to pounce, a lot of people doubting Mayo after another tough defeat in the previous season (Donegal in 2012, Kerry last year)... of course we all know what happened then.

It won't be like that this time though, I'm genuinely fearful that Galway could pip us on Sunday. But the fear is not fear of Galway, its almost fear of ourselves. Are the lads ready to go for a 5th big challenge for Connacht and All-Ireland? For a few it'll be the 6th and 7th years and in the likes of Moran and Dillon, its over 10 years. I guess its the same question we've been asking every year during the Horan years.. and the lads have answered it magnificently, putting up 4 serious All-Ireland challenges and winning 4 provincial titles on the trot. We haven't really added sufficient new quality players either to freshen things up, Diarmuid O' Connor has yet to really stand out and make a name for himself and although Mark Ronaldson has generally had a good league, he is not proven at this level yet despite being around for a few years and clearly having bundles of talent, the question is there: why did Horan not want him? Time to prove him wrong I hope.

I'm not particularly impressed by Galway this year to be honest but it is Galway v Mayo, they do have home advantage and it is the championship, teams can hit their best form on any given day.

Im praying for a Mayo win, but the nagging thought that runs of wins in Connacht can't last forever is not leaving me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

This PH/NC thing doesn't really roll of the tongue. We need a brangelina type effort.

Combes?
    Homily?

Anyway. I think Ger Cafferkey will be needed in this game. He is the man to stifle Comer. Not starting him here would be a mistake I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

2 years ago I felt the exact same as I do now. Not really sure how good we are, have a tricky looking trip to Salthill which looks like its going to make or break us. Galway quiet and ready to pounce, a lot of people doubting Mayo after another tough defeat in the previous season (Donegal in 2012, Kerry last year)... of course we all know what happened then.

It won't be like that this time though, I'm genuinely fearful that Galway could pip us on Sunday. But the fear is not fear of Galway, its almost fear of ourselves. Are the lads ready to go for a 5th big challenge for Connacht and All-Ireland? For a few it'll be the 6th and 7th years and in the likes of Moran and Dillon, its over 10 years. I guess its the same question we've been asking every year during the Horan years.. and the lads have answered it magnificently, putting up 4 serious All-Ireland challenges and winning 4 provincial titles on the trot. We haven't really added sufficient new quality players either to freshen things up, Diarmuid O' Connor has yet to really stand out and make a name for himself and although Mark Ronaldson has generally had a good league, he is not proven at this level yet despite being around for a few years and clearly having bundles of talent, the question is there: why did Horan not want him? Time to prove him wrong I hope.

I'm not particularly impressed by Galway this year to be honest but it is Galway v Mayo, they do have home advantage and it is the championship, teams can hit their best form on any given day.

Im praying for a Mayo win, but the nagging thought that runs of wins in Connacht can't last forever is not leaving me.

I'd agree with all of that.
    My concern is that these guys have been on the road a good few years now, and that may be taking it's toll.
    I can't see them having the vigor that they had in 2013.
    And as you said they have not really freshened things up, the exception possibly being Kean at FB.
    Regans injuries have been unfortunate in that regard also, as new firepower would have been handy

I alway look back at the 9pt SF loss to Kerry and the humour I was in leaving Croke Park , based on their performance, their age and their attitude I was really looking forward to a few good years of this team, and that's exactly what they gave us.
    But now that optimism has wained and the likes of Higgins, Andy Moran and Dillion are looking like they will go down in the same history books as Willie Joe, McHale, Ciaran McD etc.

Still though for Sunday I am optimistic they can get over this banana skin, just as they did the Roscommon one last year.
    They will be more physical than Galway and will have more over the 70 in my opinion

The loss of Walsh to Galway is big, and while I am here, as a fan you always get a boost when you hear an opponents start is missing for the game, but based on the circumstances of Walsh's absence, there was no boost, just sorrow for the man who lost his life and his family.

If they can get over Galway the next stop is the AL SF, lively v Dublin.
    They should have enough for Roscommon or Sligo in Castlebar, and even though the B side qualifier may be tough in the QF they have plenty of experience to get over that.

So in a pesemestic year I am still look at a SF !

Excellent post..sums by thoughts totally. Galway have absolutely nothing to loose and will be ready to throw the kitchen sink at us. Sometimes when a team has no aspirations bar the game in front of them that is when they can be at the most dangerous. A good year for Galway (particulary with walsh out) would be beating Mayo in salthill, ending the drive for five and giving the Rossies a good run in the final. Mayo on the other hand will have much greater expectations for 2015

• Advertisement

Important message from Galway GAA...see below

Pearse Stadium Committee, CLG na Gaillimhe
    Pearse Stadium Salthill Galway Phone: 091-862500 Date: 9th June 2015

Re: Pearse Stadium, Sunday 14th June 2015
    13.45: Roscommon V Mayo (Hurling) Christy Ring Cup Promotion/Relegation Play-Off
    16.00: Galway V Mayo in the Connacht Senior Football Championship Semi-Final

A Chara, Galway GAA and the Pearse Stadium Committee welcome all Galway, Roscommon and Mayo Supporters and Patrons to Galway and Salthill on Sunday next, 14th June 2015 for the Connacht Senior Football Championship Semi-Final between Galway and Mayo and the Christy Ring Cup Promotion/Relegation Play-Off between Roscommon and Mayo
    The two games on Sunday will result in increased traffic in the Galway, Salthill and Pearse Stadium areas and we urge all Supporters and Patrons to arrive early, in order to avoid traffic congestion and to enjoy the day.
    An Garda Síochána will operate a Traffic Management Plan and on arrival in Galway all Supporters are encouraged to obey directions and signage and to park legally and responsibly.
    In addition a very convenient and cost effective Park & Ride service will be available for supporters in order to minimise traffic. See attached for more information on Park and Ride.
    The weather forecast is very good and the business community in Salthill has organised a number of events in Salthill including live music and many of the Hotels and Restaurants in Salthill will be offering special value meals for patrons attending the games.
    Finally, we request all Supporters attending the games in Pearse Stadium to be conscious, mindful and respectful to the needs of local residents. In this regard please distribute and communicate this notice to all Clubs, Members, Supporters and Local Media.
    In Summary:
    1. Please travel with care and arrive early!
    2. Please use official Car Parks and park legally and responsibly.
    3. Please be respectful and mindful of the needs of Local Residents
    4. Enjoy the game and safe journey home.
    Thank You for your cooperation.
    John Hynes
    Pearse Stadium Committee.

as is evident here and on the Mayo blog expectations are lower this year .......this will help players........I'm looking at it this way ........win Sunday and then its just 4 wins to reach the promised land MAYO FOR SAM 15
    there I said it :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

For the 1st time ever my level of interest is gone through the floor, so I 1/2 wonder if the players are the same. Maybe they and up to a point us supporters need a year out! Maybe not this year though! :D

yop wrote: »
    For the 1st time ever my level of interest is gone through the floor, so I 1/2 wonder if the players are the same. Maybe they and up to a point us supporters need a year out! Maybe not this year though! :D

A win or two will soon reignite your interest

I see us winning on Sunday and winning well they are not a devision 3 or is it 2 team for nothing and the quaility of teams that they played in the league is a step down from where we are at, even thought we had a poor enough league as in getting eat a live by the dubs.
    They are still the same team that have won 4 Connaught titles.
    It's the rossiez and and there number one mayo supporter shyruss that I fear

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

yop wrote: »

I have thought over the winter that a year out may be something that could help but it's hard to know how it would happen.

With new management and guys who have put 4 huge efforts in this last 4 years a break may help them, allow some new talent to mature and allow some old, and not so old but overworked, bodies recover.

But how does 'taking a year off' manifest itself in the real world , do you just put out a team unprepared and see how they get on, do you experiment during the championship ?

I think once Sunday comes all these guys will just have one thing on the mind and that is winning and All Ireland.

If you ever partake in a sport that involves a handicap, it's impossile to deliberately 'take it easy' to help your handicap, once in the game\race competitive instinct takes over

I have thought over the winter that a year out may be something that could help but it's hard to know how it would happen.

With new management and guys who have put 4 huge efforts in this last 4 years a break may help them, allow some new talent to mature and allow some old, and not so old but overworked, bodies recover.

But how does 'taking a year off' manifest itself in the real world , do you just put out a team unprepared and see how they get on, do you experiment during the championship ?

I think once Sunday comes all these guys will just have one thing on the mind and that is winning and All Ireland.

If you ever partake in a sport that involves a handicap, it's impossile to deliberately 'take it easy' to help your handicap, once in the game\race competitive instinct takes over

Agreed on that and all the great teams never took it handy at training or in friendlies. Otherwise if they did the step up would have been too much.

I'm sure the hunger will return once the teams come out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

This PH/NC thing doesn't really roll of the tongue. We need a brangelina type effort.

Combes?
    Homily?

Hmmm, neither one really satisfies?

Noel-Pat...

The Phynx?

Best I can do, I'm on the green tea these days, not too much caffeine tormenting the brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I'm getting more excited by the minute :D. It has seemed to me that the Galway match is our final for some reason over the last few years.
    Need to get there very early or risk standing for hours. Season tickets enter behind the stands at turnstiles 55-62.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

1. Clarke
    2. Cunniffe
    3. Keane
    4. Higgins
    5. Keegan
    6. Vaughan
    7. Boyle
    8. Parsons
    9. S O'Shea
    10. McLoughlin