Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭OldRio

Thanks Wibbs and Eoin. Shall check those links.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

actually...here's Russian watch (made in Germany as it happens) that might fit the bill

$_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Poljot-Automatic-in-schonem-Zustand-/151641670321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item234e8c42b1

77 euro BIN + shipping
    (seller says watch runs a bit fast ...a watchmaker should be able to service this for very little)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

That's very nice. Would it suit a woman's wrist. My wife always liked this look in a watch.

• Advertisement

I'm not exactly sure about the dimensions (none given in the ad) but I've seen them advertised before as "unisex"

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

Cheers. Sent the owner a message through ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭OldRio

Thanks Peasant. That is a lovely watch.
    The second from last Longines is also gorgeous.
    I'm liking the idea of the Tissot though. Not to expensive and yet good looking.

Jaysus lads. I can't thank you all enough. I'm going to have a good look tonight and tomorrow and make a decision.

Sneaky viewing of the Internet. What will she think;)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Somebody's going to have to change the name of this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Somebody's going to have to change the name of this thread...
    I'd suggest "Wibbs made me do it!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

I had been watching this! Then forgot. Wouldn't have bought it as not into gold. Seems like it went cheap!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/111634136205?_mwBanner=1

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd say it'd want to be cheap with a £200 repair bill hanging over it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep and the bracelet is fecked. With some bracelet damage you see you wonder what kind of alien sweat the dude is exuding. I saw a Longines VHP where the gold bits hat rotted away and his sweat even attacked the incredibly tough titanium coating. :eek:. Like how he called the crown the "adjusting knob". :) Yea that one was to be avoided like the plague. Even fully repaired it would hardly be worth the repair bill.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Prob dodged a bullet. Was just dreaming of it being a simple fix and bang it on a nice cheap brown leather strap.

On phone so can't post pics!

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?329836-FS-Rolex-Oyster-Perpetual-Date-2005-boxed-service-papers

Great price. God damn exchange rate is the problem!!! My watch fund is well and truely empty also :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭Homer

^^^ for those without access to sales corner on TZ that's a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date 2005 boxed, service papers in mint condition for £1725

On hold pending funds within 30 mins and I am sure they had at least 3 or 4 offers of asking price.

Such a facccking bargain!!!

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CCCP-Model-Heritage-Special-Edition-Russische-Automatik-Uhr-CP-7021-04-NEU-/161665342166?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item25a4015ad6

The veritable Slava automatic (that of the two main springs) in a new/old housing. 42 mm, mineral glass

344380.JPG

150 quid BIN, seller accepts offers
    Different styles of this watch also on offer

If the quality of my CCCP watch is anything to go by, this should be worth its price

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

peasant wrote: »
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CCCP-Model-Heritage-Special-Edition-Russische-Automatik-Uhr-CP-7021-04-NEU-/161665342166?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item25a4015ad6

The veritable Slava automatic (that of the two main springs) in a new/old housing. 42 mm, mineral glass

344380.JPG

150 quid BIN, seller accepts offers
    Different styles of this watch also on offer

If the quality of my CCCP watch is anything to go by, this should be worth its price

That's really nice... and tempting.

Daemonic wrote: »
    I'd suggest "Wibbs made me do it!"
    Me, earlier today…

villai12.jpg
    peasant wrote:
    I'm liking the look of that P. 150 quid and open to offers? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Another too good to be true? Or are womans watch prices just way lower than mens.

Link removed if that is OK. Going to put a bid in.

I think this could be because unscrupulous jewelers have convinced women that wearing another woman's jewelry is the same as wearing another woman's dirty knickers. Us men on the other hand are not as fussy about second hand stuff.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Plus women weren't targeted/bought into nearly as much the whole mechanical watch revival in the 90's as men were/are. Even among the really expensive high end marques like Patek and Cartier, most of their womens watches are quartz. Maybe it's a simple practicality thing? Jewellery watches tend not to get worn every day so the quartz means when it does get worn it's always keeping time. This new mechanical revival also massively increased the market for vintage men's watches, but because watch sizes were growing in both gender's market meant that the tiny "Ladies" watches of the past were very much out of fashion. All of that(and Blues suggestion) means that generally speaking vintage ladies watches are significantly cheaper than the mens.

The seller from the previous page now has a little goldielocks on sale as well:

$_12.JPG

I'm just not the type for goldielocks watches :D

tumblr_mumlznt6Fu1sn6wtso1_500.gif

A few for your delectation…

First up a Longines Ultronic. Tuning fork movement. Smooooooth seconds hand. Less than a day to go so get yer skates on. I've bought from this chap before. Sound as a pound. Seems to be into his hummers.
    $_12.JPG

So far one bid at 150 quid. 220 should get it. I say 220 rather than 200 as better to snipe in odd numbers.

A couple of ye have liked my Kriegsmarine issued Alpina from the 40's, well here's a Siegerin.
    $_12.JPG

Five days to go, no bids 145 sterling, approx 200 euro. I'd punt 160 sterling at it. The crystal has gone yellow as originals will, a new crystal in that and you wouldn't know the watch. Mine was the same. Crystal cost a fiver.

!970's vintage "waterproof" divers chronograph I hear you ask? Well I aim to please. An Arsa(gotta love the name) Precision Super-sous Marine.
    $_12.JPG

In this writers humble that's a well cool looking watch. In great nick too. Just under two days to go, sitting at 260 euro(189 St). It has lots of interest but I reckon, around 400 eurodollars should get it. It might go higher though as it has lots going for it.

Since there have been a few battery fuelled Zeniths of late, here's another one and yet another design too. A Movado Zenith this time.
    $_12.JPG

Funky and large case, patterned dial. Three and a bit days to go, 15 quid, three bids. I'd reckon again around the 200 Squids range for this.

Lest ye tick tock fans feel left out, here's a 1960's Girard Perregaux hand wind. With an original textured dial.
    $_12.JPG

Three and a half days to go, currently at 52 quid. Like the Movado Zenith, I'm reckoning around the 200 mark. Bear in mind it is in the smaller 34mm size which was the norm at the time.

More for the ticking fans, this time a Longines. Again original patterned dial. Great movements in Longines of this time. The mid range movement in this would blow the doors off most of Omega's high end movements. Rolex's too. Neither would be rocking gold chaton set jewels like the Longines.
    $_12.JPG

Has a Buy It Now price of 320 euro with three offers already. TBH I'd just fire 300 at the chap and go for it. Maybe even just BIN and be done with it.

Bit of a Fixer Upper(™)? Well how about this Zenith Defy diver from the early 70's. Solid as feck, screwdown crown and all that. These usually go for mad money(in the context of the thread), 6-7-800 quid and more. This one has a tired dial, but the dials do come up from time to time. As do the bracelets.
    $_12.JPG

The dial will likely put off the more flush of pocket types, so you might get it at a low enough price. I'd reckon 250-300. It's currently at 51 with three days to go.

Another diver, this time for the laydeees. A Philip watch Caribbean from 1968. If this was a man's size, the Philips go for a grand plus. Really sought after.
    $_12.JPG

Hewn from girders, screwdown crown and original bracelet too. In fantastic condition. 199 sterling/270 odd euros, five days to go, no bids. IMHO if you could get that for 350 euro that would be a little cracker.

So there ye have it. Again if you see something you like, PM me call shotgun and I'll make the link vanish pronto. :)

Oops… :o Forgot about this one.

Girard Perregaux "Sea King" hand winder from the 1960's. If it was any more elegant it would be swanning around in airships necking Singapore Slings.
    $_12.JPG

279 euro BIN price. Sadly no offers option, but still I reckon not too bad at that price.

Oh and do you bowsies want even more of a bargain? OK, here's a military style Stowa, just post war maybe? The "foreign" on the dial I'd not seen before. Made in Germany anyway. Answers on a postcard please...
    $_12.JPG

Good size for this type at 35mm minus the crown. Price? *drumroll* 55 euro. And he's taking offers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭flutered

hi wibbs, i pulled a siegerin pw off the bay before christmas, a few cents off 30 quid in the door, i showed it to a watch guy who condemed it, claiming it was of no value, thanks for giving my instincts a boost, as i rarely buy now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

30 bids with 15 hours to go so dont expect bargain of the year but an interesting watch nevertheless, one that i have on my list when funds allow!

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/391107330359?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l4455&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI391107330359.N7.S2.M943.R2.TR3

blue5000 wrote: »
    Be careful there B, as one is dead and the other needs work, so repair bills could easily scupper any bargain.
    flutered wrote: »
    hi wibbs, i pulled a siegerin pw off the bay before christmas, a few cents off 30 quid in the door, i showed it to a watch guy who condemed it, claiming it was of no value, thanks for giving my instincts a boost, as i rarely buy now
    30 quid? Cannot go wrong there F. The Siegerins are solid 15 jewel performers and a good un will be nigh on as accurate and resilient as any bigger names with the same layout. Are they a Patek? No, but you ain't paying Patek prices for them either. Thirty quid. You jammy fecker. :D

As for the watch guy and his claims... In my time I've met enough "experts" online and off that have near zero clue unless it's a name they recognise from current advertising campaigns. I remember showing an expert in the trade two Trench watches, one a Rolex, the other a Elgin or Hampden I can't recall exactly. He pronounced the Rolex was the king and the other was worth the silver scrap weight of the case(joke was it was nickel). He just saw the name on the dial and that was all it took. When I pointed out that the Yankee watch and movement had a quality and accuracy that the crappy bought in Reberg movement in the Rolex could only dream of, he was not impressed. When I pointed out exactly why(screwed gold chatons, Breguet overcoil, swan neck type regulator on the Yank and much higher plate finishing) he got quite uptight about the whole thing.

For me and just like the snooty attitude to battery powered watches, this is a good thing. Let the majority keep thinking that because it means more bargains for those who dig a little deeper. It was like that with Longines up until recently. Half the price(at least) of vintage Omega, yet their movements were of a higher quality as often were the cases, dials etc. Never mind their history. Why? Lots of reasons, but mainly because the Swatch group flipped a coin and decided that Omega were to go up into the "luxury" bracket and the vintage market exploded. The joke is even within Omega collecting they avoid what was about the single most innovative and impressive time in Omega's history, namely their 1970's quartz period. They were leagues ahead of anyone else.

In the end I look at Homer's lovely IWC in the pics thread and what he paid for it. A strap for one from a dealer will cost more. Result! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Pottering

I like the look of that Arsa Wibbs. Looks to be in nice condition and a valjoux 7734 as used by a number of brands at that time including Breitling and Heuer. If I hadn't just taken delivery of a 70's chrono I would be very tempted.

Advertisement