Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

+1 on the arsa.
    just bought a 70s tissot 7734 movement so won't be jumping either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yea that's a nice one NM and I'm surprised it's still there, or not given the audience. Another chap(who early knows his shít) has a rare and near pristine condition Omega Beta 21 quartz with mint stardust dial for a very good price and it's still on sale last time I looked. Oh when I saw that I went excavating in the back of the couch and every pocket I had… :)

His Ultronic has the original bracelet too which can go for 150-200 euro on its own(it fits many other 22mm vintage longines of the time). And his example is running at 8 seconds per month accuracy wise. Hell yea. If I was looking for an Ully I'd be looking damned hard at his.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

You also have the benefit of a great seller. I think I've bought, sold and traded with Mark more than anybody else on TZ and he's a gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I haven't been to this thread in a couple of weeks.... I'm f***in drooling here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭mickc

Wibbs wrote: »

Since there have been a few battery fuelled Zeniths of late, here's another one and yet another design too. A Movado Zenith this time.
    $_12.JPG

Funky and large case, patterned dial. Three and a bit days to go, 15 quid, three bids. I'd reckon again around the 200 Squids range for this.

Lest ye tick tock fans feel left out, here's a 1960's Girard Perregaux hand wind. With an original textured dial.

Was keeping an eye on this one.. it sold for €120 after some late bidding and now relisted for €190 buy it now by the same seller. Is that common?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yea I've seen that myself a few times. It can mean the top bidder pulled out. It can mean that the seller was the top bidder. IE he/she sets a reserve by sniping a figure. That way they can say "no reserve". FWIW I bought such a watch in the past and it turned out to be fine. With this example I dunno. Another will be along in due course. So if you feel it dodgy avoid.

EG Heres another at 160 BIN and it's the tuning fork version too. Sadly has an engraving on the back, but it looks shallow enough so might buff out.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭mickc

Its been a week since the last "Wibbs ebay bargains"

Just mentioning :-)

I'm ruminating on the matter as we speak. :D Didn't see anything particularly interesting or cheap of late.

To wet the appetite, though well out of my usual price range in these bargain lists, here's a Breil Manta divers watch from the 1970's
    $_12.JPG

Bit of background, The Italian company Breil these days would be mostly about quartz "fashion" watches and other fashionable items, but back in the day they made some very nice proper professional divers. More, they supplied the Italian Navy alongside such makers as Squale. Now many would know of the original Italian navy Panerai with Marina Militare on the dial. The company today makes much of the association. New Panny's are expensive and originals would buy a few nice houses in Dublin. Issued navy watches get big money, even the low quality Casios the French used in the 90's go for hundreds of quid and are usually in a jock, condition wise.

However here is an issued Italian navy diver - a civvie wouldn't have Marina Militare on the dial, nor would it have the inventory stamps on the caseback - in very good nick(they're often pretty rough as these were used in anger) for 800 quid and they're open to offers. IMH no cheaper way to get into high quality issued vintage divers and mark my words these will go up in value. Five years ago you could get decommissioned French divers(not as nice as these IMH) for about the same price. Today, double or triple that figure. They're a finite resource and once they fade into collections… Put it another way, how much would you pay for a vintage issued diver from Omega, Rolex etc? Exactly.

800 quid as I say, out of my usual remit, but if you're in that market, you really couldn't go wrong with this IMH.

PS and as further illustration to the "value" of the above, here's an Auricoste Spirotechnique as issued to the French navy in the 90's. Opened at the same price as the issued Breil and with nearly a week to go it's already cruised over the grand with eleven bidders so far. I'll bet that'll easily top two grand. The Briel is the better watch IMH. Much nicer design, better finished, original strap and has the Marina Militare thing goin on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LONGINES-Vintage-Cal-284-Mechanical-Gold-Watch-WORKING-center-sweep-seconds-hand-/161679404606?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a4d7ee3e

Low start on this, however it does look like some g0bsh!te tried to open the back with a hammer and chisel.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Wibbs wrote: »

800 quid as I say, out of my usual remit, but if you're in that market, you really couldn't go wrong with this IMH.

Given that it's a buy it now or make an offer on eBay.it, I would guess less than €700 would secure it

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

I ended up picking up the same model as this on eBay for an extra £10 without problems and with box and papers. Lovely size and wife loves it. Her first automatic.
    peasant wrote: »
    actually...here's Russian watch (made in Germany as it happens) that might fit the bill

$_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Poljot-Automatic-in-schonem-Zustand-/151641670321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item234e8c42b1

77 euro BIN + shipping
    (seller says watch runs a bit fast ...a watchmaker should be able to service this for very little)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

Here it is on her wrist.

900E074A-151C-4B8D-A4DD-9F7FBB1EDE04_zpsutlrt9di.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Nice looking watch, limited to 667 pieces, look at the stunning clasp

P3230591_zps4ioelllv.jpg
    P3230590_zpsrcv7xypk.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭Homer

Very nice DT .. I watched them posting about that from design stage through to production. Is that one for sale somewhere as a bargain?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

That is very nice!

Homer wrote: »
    Very nice DT .. I watched them posting about that from design stage through to production. Is that one for sale somewhere as a bargain?!

no..Magrette themselves, 589 Euro

Am very tempted,

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

893bet wrote: »

You'd be needing some seriously chunky wrists to pull that one off! :)

Eoin wrote: »
    Seriously?

I wasn't serious about buying.....but the seller is serious about selling.

An ashtray for 800 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

just goes to show...that stupid crown inflates the price of any old crap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Go on, someone ask if it's quartz or manual wind (up)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Is that seller a chancer looking for €800 for an astray? Rolex branded or not, not exactly tempting at all.

I've seen Rolex hangtags go for 60-100 quid. Manuals can fetch a pretty penny. Vintage shop displays go for many hundreds, even thousands. I know, mad. Though 800 quid seems crazy(and is) I'd bet that there are any number of international collectors who would likely stump up 500 quid for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Well now, I'm not going to tip my Stradivarius in any old tray, I usually use handcarved mahogony disposable bowls, polished with the perspiration of Polynesian virgins, but I suppose I could re-use this......

OK It's been a while…

First up and with only a few hours to go An automatic Yema Divers 60's(though I'd reckon more 70's)
    $_12.JPG

BIN price of 250. TBH I'm surprised this one has not sold already.

Another late 60's Diver, this time a Brevet electronic one. Basically a rebranded LIP. If it were a LIP it would be long gone.
    $_12.JPG

Again BIN price of 250.

OK now a couple of tuning fork "hummers" for your delectation.

Omega Constellation Chronometer f300
    $_12.JPG

2 odd days to go 191 euro. I'd reckon 280-3 would get it. This seller seems to have some nice stuff and serviced too. He's got an early quartz Lanco that's only got a couple of quid on it so far.

Next a Bulova Accutron on bracelet.
    $_12.JPG

BIN price of 244 euro or make offer. I'd fire an offer of 2-220 whatever that is in sterling these days.

Here's a Trench watch. Nice dial, 24 hour markings and "red twelve". Movement looks in good nick too. The regulator is sitting in the middle which is a good sign.
    $_12.JPG

Stick that on a repro Trench strap and it would look the Mutts Nutz(™). 4 days to go, 35 quid, no bidders. I'd snipe that at 100 all the day long.

Wanna go a bit off piste? Here's a 1970's Zodiac with mystery dial.
    zo1januj.jpg

4 odd days to go at 70 odd quids. I'd throw a hail mary snipe of 190-220. I've seen these go for 300 +.

Speaking of Hail Mary's… If you were of a mind to take on a project, here's a 1943 Longines "military style" with actual military provenance. Same dial and movement as the issued 6B's of the war, though they go for a thousand quid plus.
    $_12.JPG

Now it's missing a crown and will need a service(like any new to you vintage should get), but crowns should be easy to source. Those Longines movements are bulletproof, this one looks clean and spares are easy to find. Nice bit of history IMH and at 180 euro, no bids I reckon if you got that for 200 odd it would be a bit of a sleeper. It's already gone through once with no takers. Which really surprised me TBH.

Oh and for Panerai fans/loopers, here's a Panny trench coat, a snip at 500 quid. I presume it has huge cuffs. :)

There ye have it. Again if you see anything you like let me know and I'll delete the listing for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

zDEPPFO.png

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/271851290261?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

If any one is interested. I'd say could easily be got for around the £30 mark.

I have two of these now and they are a good quality Quartz watch. Solid build and excellent finish. Lume isn't too bad either. Not quite Seiko5 but not bad.

• Advertisement

Advertisement