Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

450gbp!! Retail is 490 euro! Asking 350gbp on TZ.

Makes no sense!

He takes his pricing very personally. I made an offer via pm (might have low balled a bit but immediately upped my offer to what was a fair offer) and you would swear I had had a slash on his mothers grave ! The indignation !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yep - I bought my last Steinhart from him at a fair price, and he was great to deal with. But I don't like the idea of charging a premium because the model is out of stock new. Maybe the currency rates are a factor, because I've seen available Steinhart models sell for very close, if not over, RRP on eBay, which I just can't understand.

Incidentally, someone is trying to sell the new premium sub for nearly double the RRP! Hopefully the photos are due to the flash washing out the colour of the bezel, because it looks a bit gammy, which is a shame.

Anyway, 350 GBP isn't too bad a price for the Ocean 2, but fairly sure I've seen them cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Eoin wrote: »

If that's the seller I'm thinking of, it's probably not a bargain though.

Aye...Sold my Steinhart to him, never stopped emailing me..when is to to be delivered....non stop

Then he was flipping it, He wanted £200 more for it than I sold it to him at.

I think is is off the wall, very narky and not patient and very angry chap.

I told him that my experience with him made me consider leaving TZ

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Aye...Sold my Steinhart to him, never stopped emailing me..when is to to be delivered....non stop

Then he was flipping it, He wanted £200 more for it than I sold it to him at.

I think is is off the wall, very narky and not patient and very angry chap.

I told him that my experience with him made me consider leaving TZ

That's not what your feedback on him suggests....

Think I might lowball him one just to upset him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One for wibbs. Haven't a clue if this is a bargain, but it has 2 of your favourite things. Longines and tuning fork :D
    I noticed the chap has put it up again at a reduced price of 250 sterling. That's more like it. Actually it has one biggie going for it, the original bracelet. They are like rocking horse droppings and can go for 200 + euro on their own. If I was him I'd buy a generic leather strap for it, and ebay the bracelet separately. Could double his money.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

893bet wrote: »
    Think I might lowball him one just to upset him.

Do it on the thread :D:D

Do it on the thread :D:D

Just posted my railmaster so I gotta behave!

Zagato wrote: »
    That's not what your feedback on him suggests....

indeed, he paid promptly and it was more annoying for me, and tbh...

I would be afraid he would come after me, you have seen what he is like if you post in his thread never mind give -Ve feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

indeed, he paid promptly and it was more annoying for me, and tbh...

I would be afraid he would come after me, you have seen what he is like if you post in his thread never mind give -Ve feedback

That attitude is site specific, the owner and the forum regulars are putting everybody down if one is not singing praise to whatever they think is the best. I've never encountered a higher level of snobism from members on any other forum.

Nowadays I restrict myself on browsing the sale corner just to see whats available out there, and avoid like plague discussions that might get onto the "regulars " nerves - life's too short for that crap.

• Advertisement

m4r10 wrote: »
    That attitude is site specific, the owner and the forum regulars are putting everybody down if one is not singing praise to whatever they think is the best. I've never encountered a higher level of snobism from members on any other forum.

Nowadays I restrict myself on browsing the sale corner just to see whats available out there, and avoid like plague discussions that might get onto the "regulars " nerves - life's too short for that crap.

Fully Agree with you, Only look at SC now, but but its wearing thin with me.

It amazes me that members with a few thousand posts cant get away with everything...total snobbery

It's very childish on there. The prisoners ruling the jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jkb_dub

rwbug wrote: »
    Anyone ever bought from Rakuten? $109 for skx007/009 seems v good.
    jkb_dub wrote: »
    fyi, I ordered a 009 on jubilee for 115 usd and looks like postage was approx 15 USD as total cost is 130 usd.

I ordered and selected paypal as method of payment. They held the order until they confirmed the shipping cost. Process took less than 24 hours and I've a confirmed tracking number this morning.
    Good going.. about €70 less that I ended up paying to Creation, Revenue and DHL!

Credit where it's due, watch arrived Monday morning via the regular postman, no additional customs charges requested. Worked out at €118 and 1 week delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

After a long pause ...time for another Russian

Some lovely NOS Raketas from this seller in Italy, complete with box and nice strap for 45 quid + shipping

$_12.JPG$_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/sartech2000/m.html?item=301533602837&hash=item4634cda415&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_101&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

bargains ...I tells ya ...

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fatbiker

jkb_dub wrote: »
    Credit where it's due, watch arrived Monday morning via the regular postman, no additional customs charges requested. Worked out at €118 and 1 week delivery.

I bought the Seiko Sk007 last year but used a NI address. HMRC had me for £17stg duty. Watch is lovely though. FB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭Homer

Don't forget most people on here won't be able to see that.

For those that can't its a rare Rolex comex like the one below for in excess of £20k

rolex-submariner-comex-148.jpg

Asking price 39K.......damn!

You see some pretty rare watches pop up there sometimes - so ridiculously out of my budget that I feel safe enough looking at them over and over. I don't really get the grá for some of the ltd edition Rolices (totally the correct word for more than one Rolex) apart from maybe the likes of the milsub, but to each their own.

It's hard to call 2K watches "bargains", but there's a Radiomir going for £2.2K and a Tudor Black Bay Red for £1.5K on TZ-UK. That's as cheap as I've seen for either, in case anyone is in the market. Edit, and the BB is sold unsurprisingly.

Eoin wrote: »
    You see some pretty rare watches pop up there sometimes - so ridiculously out of my budget that I feel safe enough looking at them over and over. I don't really get the grá for some of the ltd edition Rolices (totally the correct word for more than one Rolex) apart from maybe the likes of the milsub, but to each their own.

It's hard to call 2K watches "bargains", but there's a Radiomir going for £2.2K and a Tudor Black Bay Red for £1.5K on TZ-UK. That's as cheap as I've seen for either, in case anyone is in the market.

Yeah I think the BB is good price on a bracelet. I vaguely remember one going for 1200 a few months back which is crazy.

• Advertisement

Jebus, glad I didn't see that. I tried one on over Xmas, and it's a lovely piece.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?322973-FOR-SALE-Tudor-Black-Bay-Heritage-Red-OHPF&highlight=Black

Found it! 1260 gbp.

On oem leather strap and deployment. Still way to cheap.

Selling too cheap upsets the market place and give potential buyers unrealistic expectations!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Homer wrote: »
    ...a rare Rolex comex...

For the uninitiated ...exactly why and how does this rather ungainly comex logo raise the price so much?
    (Because pretty it ain't)

I dunno, but to me it's not a million miles away from this:

Screen-shot-2013-06-29-at-9.38.32-PM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

peasant wrote: »
    For the uninitiated ...exactly why and how does this rather ungainly comex logo raise the price so much?

Well it's because they were given to the office staff at the Comex diving company of course. "Pokemon, gotta' catch em all."

peasant wrote: »

http://diving-watch.org/COMEX-ROLEX-

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Yes, AFAIK the deep sea dwellers were used by the divers but the subs like the one in the post back abit were given to office staff. One of the Hodinkee interviewees mentions it. Don't have the link now but it was the interview with the guy who works at Facebook.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's the "Rolex effect". Aficionados of the brand get really into the smallest details and rarity going on. It can get extreme where a completely bollexed(actual horological term...) dial and hands and a near opaque crystal on a military issued Submariner is worth way more, like five figures more, than one in restored condition. The Omega effect is similar though not nearly as strong. The Patek effect can get to stratospheric levels.

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm Mister Anal of 5 Obsessive Street, Madtown at times, but luckily at the penny pinching end. :D And I have some sense of the ridiculous with it. As a good example, one of the early quartz' I witter on about from time to time. :o The same Girard Perregaux movement can be found in GP, JLC, Favre, Breitling(and Revue and Consul). Save for the Breitling they mostly have the exact same cases, yet a JLC version will run at least three times the price of the GP version, often more. Same watch, different name on the dial and not even the "inhouse" progenitor of the breed(the Breitling will go for four times plus the price because of the name, yet the same name was an also ran by the 70's, they couldn't give their stuff away and needed rescuing by a mass market maker to survive). Another example from that period would be the ESA Mosabo tuning fork movement, as fitted to Omega, Longines, IWC, Universal Geneve, Tissot and others. The IWC gets the most money in general, followed by the UG, then the Omega. The Omega gets at least a third more than the longines examples, yet the latter are rarer and form my handling of both generally have the better dials, cases and hands(Omega examples use the exact same handset for every model).

Look at the Heuer Monaco. It was a film prop, not a watch normally worn by Mr. McQueen and stuck on his wrist by product placement(that he wasn't aware of and later objected to) and the vintage ones go for mad money, one of the "originals" used in the film ad campaign went for a couple of hundred grand. The watches he actually wore with way more history and quality and general coolness go for fractions of Monaco prices.

Look at "James Bond watches". For years people have been getting ever more anal and obsessive about the colour and meaning of the undersized nylon strap he wore on his loaned by the directors Rolex, a strap that was hastily bought in a tupenny hapenny shop outside the studio by a production runner because the owners bracelet was too small for Sean. There are whole websites concerned with this kinda minutiae. T'is mad Ted.

It's all about perception of quality and rarity and most of all the perception of the that ever hunted thing, "authenticity". There are a myriad of watches that are far rarer than a Rolex Milsub, yet the Rolex gets the big bucks. They're a lovely watch mind you, about the only Rolex I actually like and might have if money was no object, but it can get all a bit ridiculous IMH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I am off to Basel in a couple of weeks. But dont have any funds to buy any watches, new or second hand. So lots of window shopping. Is there a therapy group that could help me?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I am off to Basel in a couple of weeks. But dont have any funds to buy any watches, new or second hand. So lots of window shopping. Is there a therapy group that could help me?!

Make a list of 5-10 watches you might want in the future and go try them all on if available. It might make any online or second hand purchase easier down the line. A bit of good old window shopping if you will.

Advertisement