Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

BenEadir wrote: »

Thanks. I'll give that a go tomorrow and see how I get on.

If I flash it with the above ROM...will I have rooted it as well, or will have have to do that separately? I see the Titanium pro is an app worth getting to back stuff up?

Yeah bought 3 of them in MBK. one for g.f and another for a mate as well. My two sisters are off out there on hols next week as well and they are ditching their iphone 4's and getting the S2 as well!

Love the android OS so far, and I can't believe I was set in stone on the IOS for a year. Not a patch on the android as far as I can see....apart from the app store and thats about it imo.

The ROM is rooted (it includes a rooted kernel) but from reading the thread it does not include the Superuser app (which most rooted ROMs have) you can just get this from the market though in order to manage superuser permissions for apps that require root

Titanium backup is good and the PRO version allows you to freeze unwanted samsung bloatware. It does backup probably more than you need to backup, just that there is no point in installing a ROM that has stuff removed to improve speed and battery life, and then re installing it all via titanium backup.

Just restore the apps you want to restore and your messages, and email settings. Sync contacts with gmail before you flash

• Registered Users Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So I've just moved from a Desire HD to Galaxy S II.. new network, cheaper bill for the same package I had, more data, free phone so all good :)

First impressions are positive... the screen seems far sharper and vibrant than the DHD, it's more responsive and seems to fit in my hand better than the DHD (though after I add a cover that might change)

So....

- The Social hub thing is a nice idea but the default SMS app isn't up to much IMO so I've already reinstalled Handcent... but, the default Samsung keyboard is awful! I've tried the Skype option but just amn't warming to it now any more than I did originally on the DHD. Any suggestions for a suitable replacement along the lines of the HTC version?

- Rooting/ROMs: This might seem an odd question but.. should I bother?
    I did with the DHD and the whole custom ROMs/themes/launchers etc is very nice, but I found that everytime I updated a ROM, something broke, was fixed in the next release only to then find something else had been broken and so on. XDA is a great resource yes but only if you have the patience for sifting for the few informative posts amongst a sea of fanboys pestering the dev for the next release date?

Basically, what's the major benefits of rooting/custom ROMs on this specific handset?.. eg: with the DHD it was battery life, wireless strength, moving apps to the SD card and so on.

Then, how easy or not is it to root/flash this vs the DHD?

- The whole interface seems pretty slick and reminds me a bit of the Windows Phone 7-style launcher I had on the DHD. Is there a way to add widgets to the dock at the bottom of the screen though or will I need a custom launcher for that? Are there any "must have" apps that work best on this handset?

Any feedback appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Zagato wrote: »
    The ROM is rooted (it includes a rooted kernel) but from reading the thread it does not include the Superuser app (which most rooted ROMs have) you can just get this from the market though in order to manage superuser permissions for apps that require root

Titanium backup is good and the PRO version allows you to freeze unwanted samsung bloatware. It does backup probably more than you need to backup, just that there is no point in installing a ROM that has stuff removed to improve speed and battery life, and then re installing it all via titanium backup.

Just restore the apps you want to restore and your messages, and email settings. Sync contacts with gmail before you flash

Ok, just to be sure..if I flash using the above ROM, will I lose the apps that I downloaded if I don't back them up before doing so? Don't you have to have root access first in order to use titanium, in order to back stuff up?

forgot to ask, but if I update firmware via Kies before I root/flash...will I loose my apps etc??

Or is it necessary to update to the latest firmware before I root and flash?

forgot to ask, but if I update firmware via Kies before I root/flash...will I loose my apps etc??

Or is it necessary to update to the latest firmware before I root and flash?

No need to update firmware, before you flash VillainROM.

I would be inclined to assume that you will lose the apps unless backed up. I'd recommend doing a full wipe anyway

Download the new ROM and put the .zip file on your internal SD

I think the simplest way to flash would be to root first using CFRoot method, as that way you will have ClockworkMod recovery.

Then boot into recovery (You will be able to do this via the new CWM app you will have), do a full nandroid backup (in case it all goes pear shaped), then do a full wipe

Then select zip from SD card to install and select the new ROM. It should unpack and install in a minute or so, and then reboot your phone!

• Advertisement

I would be inclined to assume that you will lose the apps unless backed up. I'd recommend doing a full wipe anyway

I think the simplest way to flash would be to root first using CFRoot method, as that way you will have ClockworkMod recovery.

Then boot into recovery (You will be able to do this via the new CWM app you will have), do a full nandroid backup (in case it all goes pear shaped), then do a full wipe

Then select zip from SD card to install and select the new ROM. It should unpack and install in a minute or so, and then reboot your phone!

Thanks, but honestly I'm totally lost :confused:

Basically all I want to do is get the phone rooted so that I can flash whatever ROM i want. However, I see loads of different ways of rooting, which only confuses me.

So if somone could point me in the right direction of a nice and easy way to root and flash then I'd really appreciate that.

I understand that you don't need to root in order to flash necessarily, but its very confusing to figure out initially.

It is pretty easy, very quick. The thing is that you probably should do a fair bit of reading before you go messing with your phone.

The link in my post is a simple and safe way to root. It is the way Villainrom team recommend you root.

It is pretty easy, very quick. The thing is that you probably should do a fair bit of reading before you go messing with your phone.

The link in my post is a simple and safe way to root. It is the way Villainrom team recommend you root.

So basically all I have to do is follow just this paragraph from that xda post:

Instructions - ODIN (long)
    - Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
    - Unzip the attached CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.zip
    - (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
    - Start ODIN
    - Click the PDA button, and select CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar
    - Put your phone in download mode
    - (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
    - Make sure repartition is NOT checked
    - Click the START button
    - Wait for the phone to reboot
    - Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

And the phone will be rooted?

Ok so i rooted using the CF root method you linked and everything worked fine. I've superuser and CWM app now installed after rooting.

So what next? I've titanium pro bought so I just backup everything before moving on from here?

Quick question....

When I copy the ROM zip file to the sd card....is it the external sd card(32gb one that I bought) or the internal memory 16gb on the phone that I copy it to??

• Advertisement

ok did the flash and everything went as planned..i think.

However, now that I rebooted the phone is back to as I got it out of the box. Set up gmail account.

Then I went to market and downloaded titanium free and pro key, which I already had and backed up with, but when I clicked open, it says i don't have "root permission"??

I obviously already rooted before flashing. The CWM and superuser app are not on the phone.....is this normal??

How do I go about getting my stuff back??

Very worried now that I might have done something I wasn't meant to, even though I did follow the instructions to the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Superuser should be available on the market. Did you try install it from there?

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Superuser should be available on the market. Did you try install it from there?

i got superuser and CWM from the CF-root guide above, so I never installed it from the market. Should I install it from there now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭niallb

You just overwrote your root when you flashed the new rom.
    No worries - it's normal!
    Do the CF root again to root the new install.

niallb wrote: »
    You just overwrote your root when you flashed the new rom.
    No worries - it's normal!
    Do the CF root again to root the new install.

as in this sequence:

- Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
    - Unzip the attached CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.zip
    - (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
    - Start ODIN
    - Click the PDA button, and select CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar
    - Put your phone in download mode
    - (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
    - Make sure repartition is NOT checked
    - Click the START button
    - Wait for the phone to reboot
    - Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭niallb

Yes.
    That looks like the process I used.
    Once you reboot, you should see the superuser app again.

niallb wrote: »
    Yes.
    That looks like the process I used.
    Once you reboot, you should see the superuser app again.

And will i get all my settings back as they were when i backed up...like screen brightness setting etc. Or will i have to manually set them again.

And will i get all my settings back as they were when i backed up...like screen brightness setting etc. Or will i have to manually set them again.

According to Pulser the ROM is definitely rooted, and it seems unlikely that he would release an unrooted ROM.

Remember that the root works by flashing a new rooted kernel. Chainfire's method uses a stock kernel with root added, but also includes the 2 apps Superuser and CWM.

Villainrom uses the Ninphetamine kernel which is also rooted, and is a tweaked kernel to try and optimise speed and battery life, this doesn't include the CWM app (or I guess superuser)

You should still be rooted, just download superuser from the market and try Titanium again.

I haven't flashed Villainrom 3.0 yet, but will now in a few mins and confirm all this

Can confirm as stated in Post #4 in Villainrom thread at XDA, the ROM is rooted. The CWM app is included in the attachments linked to in that post.

Download superuser by ChainsDD from the market and you are all good. If you go through the CF root process again you will be reflashing chainfires rooted but otherwise stock kernel. This means that things like BLN will not work.

Now to restore data.... and find a decent theme

Can confirm as stated in Post #4 in Villainrom thread at XDA, the ROM is rooted. The CWM app is included in the attachments linked to in that post.

Download superuser by ChainsDD from the market and you are all good. If you go through the CF root process again you will be reflashing chainfires rooted but otherwise stock kernel. This means that things like BLN will not work.

Now to restore data.... and find a decent theme

Ok ive superuser downloaded from the market. Dont know what its supposed to do though...as i still dont get root access when in titanium??

Edit: ah i just needed to update superuser app and ive got root access back :)

So just need to restore apps and away i go?
    Will i get CWM app back when i do titanium restore?

Oh regarding battery life....its unbelievable since i rooted and flashed. 40% left after 23 hours since charged! Maybe thats not that great but ive been on it a lot in that time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yeah the stock rom has old version of android with known power bug.

I don't know if you'll have CWM there our not, if not you can find it in the link on the post I linked to in my last post

I don't know if you'll have CWM there our not, if not you can find it in the link on the post I linked to in my last post

Thanks.

So how do I get it onto the phone...do I just download it and transfer to internal memory?

And which one of these files is the one I download, or both of them?

CWMManager.apk

CWM 2.00.apk

Yeah stick it anywhere on your phone once you'll be able to find it, then find it via My Files and open it - It'll install then (You'll have to have the install apps from other sources box checked in settings)

CWM 2.0

The other one is just an older version (v1.8)

Yeah stick it anywhere on your phone once you'll be able to find it, then find it via My Files and open it - It'll install then (You'll have to have the install apps from other sources box checked in settings)

CWM 2.0

The other one is just an older version (v1.8)

Sweet! Worked fine. So I presume if I want any themes or other things like that I can just put them onto the internal memory and install them via "my files"?

I see that setcpu is free in the xda forum. which version of the app do I download?

Sweet! Worked fine. So I presume if I want any themes or other things like that I can just put them onto the internal memory and install them via "my files"?

I see that setcpu is free in the xda forum. which version of the app do I download?

Wel the bottom one 2.24 is the latest and current version that's available to download from the Market

I rooted using CF method and got 30 hours battery with medium to heavy usage on the stock ROM. I then flashed VillainROM 3.0 and restored all my apps via titanium pro and now I'm getting only 12 hours with medium usage. I've setCPU app installed as well, but I don't see how my battery could be draining so fast all of a sudden?

Any recommendations on how to improve it again to what it was like?

Could I get a list of which apps to freeze and/or delete using titanium? I heard that it can make a huge difference to the battery life.

Can't seem to find a good list of such apps anywhere.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Here you go Safe to freeze

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Don't use setcpu.

Settings -> about phone -> battery usage = shows you what is using what.

• Advertisement

I rooted using CF method and got 30 hours battery with medium to heavy usage on the stock ROM. I then flashed VillainROM 3.0 and restored all my apps via titanium pro and now I'm getting only 12 hours with medium usage. I've setCPU app installed as well, but I don't see how my battery could be draining so fast all of a sudden?

Any recommendations on how to improve it again to what it was like?

Could I get a list of which apps to freeze and/or delete using titanium? I heard that it can make a huge difference to the battery life.

Can't seem to find a good list of such apps anywhere.

Thanks.

Am finding battery life a bit horrendous today as well, down to 20% already :eek:

I use app list backup to backup my apps (it save a link to the market and you just download them again) however this hasn't worked out to well for me as Bloat Freezer has been removed from the market so I can't re-download it.

Can't remember exactly all the apps that I usually freeze, but definitely anything with Hub or DRM in it's name:)

There is a list of apps that can be safely removed by Pulser at XDA, remember if you run into any problems after freezing an app, you can just defrost it, that's the point of freezing it as opposed to removing it.

Advertisement