Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

BenEadir wrote: »
    Zagato and Grassey, thanks for the CM recommendations. I was kinda waiting for an RC version or even an official stable version to come out before jumping on the CM bandwagon but I might just go with the latest nightly given your strong recommendations. The fact it doesn't even have the annoying battery alarm 'feature' is a big plus for me ;)

I assume there are some easy to follow instructions on installing CM over on the relevant CM forum thread but are there any other tips you'd recommend or anyhting spcific I need to do/bear in mind given I'd be switching over from VR 3.0?

Cheers lads.

Ben

Suddenly getting some random reboots this morning with 88 (was fine for the last 2 days) Is a bit of an issue, but not a big deal as it takes me probably less than 2mins to either change up to newest nightly or go back to the previous one which was working fine.
    Will let you know if it is sorted with 89 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Is it just the rom I use, or does every rom require a full wip when updating?
    It's very frustrating and makes updating a chore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭marathonic

I was on Light'ning ROM (the latest version) for the past 6 weeks and had no problems until this week.

The phone screen goes blank sometimes when making calls (it still rings but I can't 'reawake' the screen) and I have to reboot.

I done a full wipe (after backing up with Titanium) and have just completed installation of todays version of Cognition S2 (v1.6).

I've the look and feel of the phone back to how it looked before so hopefully the issue will now be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I have been on |Litening |Rom 6.1 for a while but the developer has not been providing updates, although have had no issue with this.

Been following thread on xda and wondering if anyone has moved to another Rom and had any issues with it and is it as good as/better than Litening Rom?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

Shmee, I'm on VR 3.0 but having a few niggly issues like the phone just switching itself off and requiring a battery pull to restart :eek: and poor enough battery life i.e. just about 16 hours on what I consider to be average use (one hour of phone calls, one hour of web surfing and 2-3 gmail accounts syncing in the background with wi-fi and bluetooth on most of the time) with JuiceDefender Ultimate running it's balanced profile so not that happy.

Crazy as it may sound the thing which is keeping me with VR more than anything else is the fact they have a tweak you can add which disables the annoying (sound or vibrate) alert when your battery is fully charged. That freaks me out at 4am when it happens.

I therefore have three key questions for you:-

1. How are you finding battery life and overall performance with the Revolution Rom?
    2. What if anything (special) will I have to do to migrate from VR 3.0 to Rev Rom?
    2. Do you know if there is any way to disable the battery full alert???

Cheers,

Ben

I was on VR 3.0 before I changed over to Revoultion... And I had the same problem with the phone powering off and needing to remove battery to reboot...

Battery Life is good, I would have moderate use most days and still be on 30% - 40% at night(I dont have wi-fi / bluetooth on anytime)

Like at moment it is at 88%, unplugged for 7hours now... Including about half hour of calls, good bit of texting, facebook and general app use...

When I went from VR3.0 I had a problem rebooting into revolution, so I just, did a wipe of data and all of that and when I uznzipped the revolution and installed again it worked perfectly first time...

Im not sure on the full battery notification, there must be a way to do it in the Kitchen App, I didn't look for that anyway yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

Switched to HyperDroid-Androidmeda recently and have just got 3 days off one charge and I still had 23% left on the battery. It seems to be the best one I have used so far for battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

ttcomet wrote: »
    Switched to HyperDroid-Androidmeda recently and have just got 3 days off one charge and I still had 23% left on the battery. It seems to be the best one I have used so far for battery life.

That's very impressive. The goals of the team are clear but the user instructions for preparing your phone and installing the ROM, theme etc (for joe soaps like me) are not clear so I'm afraid I'll have to pass even though it looks so good.

Ben

Upgraded to the new revolution rom...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1312240

And I must say it is one of the best so far..

Battery life is way better.. On 55% now, unplugged for 16 hours so far today and I have been using it more than usual today with calls and browsing...

The new kitchenpro app with it, has some great mods and tweaks, even a ice cream sandwich theme... It's not the full thing but looks well...

ttcomet wrote: »

3 days and still going?..

OMG..

I taught 2 days was unreal...

Would that be with much use??...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I think if you are going to comment on battery life you should include a screenshot of your battery usage.

I mean I used Litening 2.2 and got 5 days out if it, albeit I was abroad travelling so there was no data transfer, no cellular traffic, no wifi or bluetooth, very little screen on time, had 5 morning wake up alarms...

Using CM7 I get a day with heavy usage...

So which is the better Rom for battery drain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Johnniep

Does any one know if any shop in Dublin has the jig to reset the counter on the S2? Would like to get it reset and don't fancy to wait for one to arrive from ebay.

Would appreciate the help!

John

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭HoldStady

I have VR 3.0 and have not had many issues with it. Some reboots. Been stable lately. Tweetcaster forces close when loading a Youtube link but this may be app issue.
    Improved battery life from v1.6 however still would only get 1 full day with no charge with fairly heavy usage. Once I play Angry birds or game for more than 45 mins this would hit battery life heavily. Also VRTweaks removes limit on using camera when in low battery. Does rev Rom have this. Overall I'm happy with VR 3.0 but if battery life is improved as much as people here are saying I would consider changing to rev rom

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

HoldStady wrote: »
    I have VR 3.0 and have not had many issues with it. Some reboots. Been stable lately. Tweetcaster forces close when loading a Youtube link but this may be app issue.
    Improved battery life from v1.6 however still would only get 1 full day with no charge with fairly heavy usage. Once I play Angry birds or game for more than 45 mins this would hit battery life heavily. Also VRTweaks removes limit on using camera when in low battery. Does rev Rom have this. Overall I'm happy with VR 3.0 but if battery life is improved as much as people here are saying I would consider changing to rev rom
    The newest version of revolution Tom called check rom is excellent. Would recommend it highly. Great personalisation options that are super easy. Will be sticking with this for a long time I reckon!

HoldStady wrote: »
    The newest version of revolution rom called check rom is excellent. Would recommend it highly. Great personalisation options that are super easy. Will be sticking with this for a long time I reckon!

pedatron wrote: »
    The newest version of revolution rom called check rom is excellent. Would recommend it highly. Great personalisation options that are super easy. Will be sticking with this for a long time I reckon!

Download link and instructions link please????

Ben

I'm on VR 3.0 and having read reviews of the various different ROM's available + Pedatron's recommendation above I've decided to install Siyah v2.1-DarkKnight Beta1 kernel (http://checkrom.com/threads/kernel-s...ght-beta1.157/) and CheckRom's Revolution HD ROM (http://checkrom.com/threads/crrevolu...%E2%98%85.129/) which I believe will give me a very fast and battery efficient device.

CheckRom's FAQ's include the following:-

Q: I'm coming from a different ROM how can i install this ROM ?

A. Follow the steps below
    Get into the CWM recovery
    Wipe Data/factory reset
    Wipe Cache
    Wipe Dalvik-Cache
    Wipe Battery Stats
    Wipe Data/factory reset
    Wipe Cache
    Wipe Dalvik-Cache
    Wipe Battery Stats
    Install the wipe version of this ROM

I backed up all my apps using Titanium Pro but as it backs up to the internal SD and there doesn't seem to be a way to back up to the external SD card I also did an Apps and App Data Backup using MyBackupPro which does back up to the external SD card. (Not much point backing up to the internal SD card when that's going to be wiped in the factory reset is there!!!!)

My main question now is "Is the correct process to 1) install the CheckRom Rom following the instructions above and then flash the Kernel via CWM or should it be the other way round??

Ben

I'm on VR 3.0 and having read reviews of the various different ROM's available + Pedatron's recommendation above I've decided to install Siyah v2.1-DarkKnight Beta1 kernel (http://checkrom.com/threads/kernel-s...ght-beta1.157/) and CheckRom's Revolution HD ROM (http://checkrom.com/threads/crrevolu...%E2%98%85.129/) which I believe will give me a very fast and battery efficient device.

CheckRom's FAQ's include the following:-

Q: I'm coming from a different ROM how can i install this ROM ?

A. Follow the steps below
    Get into the CWM recovery
    Wipe Data/factory reset
    Wipe Cache
    Wipe Dalvik-Cache
    Wipe Battery Stats
    Wipe Data/factory reset
    Wipe Cache
    Wipe Dalvik-Cache
    Wipe Battery Stats
    Install the wipe version of this ROM

I backed up all my apps using Titanium Pro but as it backs up to the internal SD and there doesn't seem to be a way to back up to the external SD card I also did an Apps and App Data Backup using MyBackupPro which does back up to the external SD card. (Not much point backing up to the internal SD card when that's going to be wiped in the factory reset is there!!!!)

My main question now is "Is the correct process to 1) install the CheckRom Rom following the instructions above and then flash the Kernel via CWM or should it be the other way round??

Ben

Sorry for delay Ben I was working today. Its a great ROM. The kitchen pro app is excellent as it does lots of the work regarding themes, kernels and other things. All the work is done within the app. Hope its going well for you.

Sorry for delay Ben I was working today. Its a great ROM. The kitchen pro app is excellent as it does lots of the work regarding themes, kernels and other things. All the work is done within the app. Hope its going well for you.

Hi Pedatron,

I did a full wipe and installed CRRevolutionHD v2.0 via CWM Recovery. I successfully rebooted, went back into CWM Recovery to flash the new Siyah v2.1-DarkKnight Beta1 kernel which all went fine, rebooted and all was good. I opened the market app and installed MyBackUp Pro which I use to reinstall all my apps and data from an external SD card. The app downloaded successfully.

I did a battery pull, inserted my external SD card (and sim card) and rebooted again but this time the market app and the MyBackUp Pro app I had just previously downloaded are showing in the list of apps with dark icons and SD written in the bottom right of each icon. When I go to launch either app I get the following error message "Application is not installed on your phone".

Any ideas why this is happening and what I can do to fix it? I obviously need the Market app and I want to use MyBackup Pro to reinstall all my old apps and app settings.

Ben

Hi Pedatron,

I did a full wipe and installed CRRevolutionHD v2.0 via CWM Recovery. I successfully rebooted, went back into CWM Recovery to flash the new Siyah v2.1-DarkKnight Beta1 kernel which all went fine, rebooted and all was good. I opened the market app and installed MyBackUp Pro which I use to reinstall all my apps and data from an external SD card. The app downloaded successfully.

I did a battery pull, inserted my external SD card (and sim card) and rebooted again but this time the market app and the MyBackUp Pro app I had just previously downloaded are showing in the list of apps with dark icons and SD written in the bottom right of each icon. When I go to launch either app I get the following error message "Application is not installed on your phone".

Any ideas why this is happening and what I can do to fix it? I obviously need the Market app and I want to use MyBackup Pro to reinstall all my old apps and app settings.

Ben

Hi Ben,
    Not sure what your problem is there. I heard a problem on the XDA forums about when the external SD card wasn't mounting on some ROMs but this wasn't one of them. The market app would worry me more than MyBackUp. It's normally solid. Is your external SD card working correctly?
    Hate to say it but another wipe and re-zip of the ROM might be the easiest fix. I don't even bother taking out my SD card or sim and have had no problems yet! Hope you get sorted. If you still have problems get back to me and I will ask my friend who knows more about it!

Peter

Hi Ben,
    Not sure what your problem is there. I heard a problem on the XDA forums about when the external SD card wasn't mounting on some ROMs but this wasn't one of them. The market app would worry me more than MyBackUp. It's normally solid. Is your external SD card working correctly?
    Hate to say it but another wipe and re-zip of the ROM might be the easiest fix. I don't even bother taking out my SD card or sim and have had no problems yet! Hope you get sorted. If you still have problems get back to me and I will ask my friend who knows more about it!

Peter

Did a re-wipe and re-install of the CRR 2.0 ROM (without flashing the beta kernel this time) and all seems good. The Market app is back working again, I've downloaded Mybackup Pro and it's in the process of re-installing all my apps and app data. Fingers crossed it'll remain OK.

Once the re-install of apps is complete I'll do a re-boot and make sure Market is still working before flashing the beta kernel via CWM.

Thanks for the tip.

This does look and feel like a great ROM and the guys behind it seem very switched on as well as communicative.

Cheers,

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

I installed checkrom revolution also (before I read the recommendations here!) after a few months (yes total geek) of perusing the best Rom to use. I reckon this is it for the moment guys so I'd highly recommend it. The kitchen app is class for personalisations :)

I'd also recommend using ALL of the "Go" apps with this. Launcher, SMS etc... as they vastly improve the user experience. my 2c :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

i have cyanogen mod 7.1 installed. so far its not bad. but i love changing things around.

i have titanium backup pro installed.

how would i set about making a backup of my system such that if i install another rom, i can restore all the apps and data such that its only the underneath rom thats changed and not everything i have done on the phone so far?

i am rooted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

Spipov wrote: »
    i have cyanogen mod 7.1 installed. so far its not bad. but i love changing things around.

i have titanium backup pro installed.

how would i set about making a backup of my system such that if i install another rom, i can restore all the apps and data such that its only the underneath rom thats changed and not everything i have done on the phone so far?

i am rooted.

just backup all apps and system data with titanium. install the new rom (wipe if required) then download titanium again from market and restore all! (or one by one which I find safer) :)

00sully wrote: »
    just backup all apps and system data with titanium. install the new rom (wipe if required) then download titanium again from market and restore all! (or one by one which I find safer) :)

I understood that it's not such a great idea to restore all the system data, as you may end up restoring system apps/settings that have been deliberately removed from the ROM to make it more efficient.

I just back up Apps + App data, and use sms backup and restore for text messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

The best way is to make a back up with rom manager and then just restore when you want to go back. Everything, including apps will be as you left it .

griffdaddy wrote: »
    The best way is to make a back up with rom manager and then just restore when you want to go back. Everything, including apps will be as you left it .

Will that not just bring you back to the old ROM, though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

oh sorry, I misunderstood. Titanium back up is the way to go in that case. I always just back up user apps and let the system apps transfer from the new rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok I am looking at changing Rom to Ultratoxic and the advise on the forum is to flash stock rom.

I downloaded and extracted the files and I have the below:

CODE_I9100XXKI3_CL577579_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.m d5
    GT-I9100-CSC-MULTI-OXAKI3.tar.md5
    MODEM_I9100XXKI3_REV_02_CL1062028.tar.md5
    u1_02_20110310_emmc_EXT4.pit

simple question what file do I use or do I load they all up with Odin? If so what is the pit file for as cannot load this up via Odin?

Never gone back to stock so not sure how or is there a better way?

Thanks

You can flash the .pit file via odin, but it shouldn't be necessary to flash stock firmware, and I would probably avoid unless you are having problems.

Put the one beginning with Code into the PDA box, the one beginning with modem into the Phone box, and the CSC-Multi into the CSC box.

I posted links to guides for flashing stock firmwares earlier today here

(I only recommended flashing the .pit file there as he seemed to be already having some problems)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

What's the best ROM for a heavy user of the phone? Just want something that looks cool and works well!

What is the best ROM out there atm?

Advertisement