Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

When you say it may be worth a reset or reflash... Do you mean that you've just flashed the new ROM over villain without doing any wipe prior?

If so then why is it necessary to wipe in the first place?

I could be wrong but i'd say a full wipe would be very necessary if you are changing ROM's. Think he might have mean't that the person having problems with the camera might have had a bad flash and may need to do it again from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I am tempted to buy the Samsung Galaxy S2 but does anyone know if they will be releasing a new version anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭pedatron

Vanbis wrote: »
    I am tempted to buy the Samsung Galaxy S2 but does anyone know if they will be releasing a new version anytime soon?
    I doubt it very much TBH as the phone is only out since May or June! Samsung and Google are announcing the nexus prime soon I think that will be running Ice Cream Sandwich the latest android OS. Other than that there's nothing announced!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

pedatron wrote: »
    I doubt it very much TBH as the phone is only out since May or June! Samsung and Google are announcing the nexus prime soon I think that will be running Ice Cream Sandwich the latest android OS. Other than that there's nothing announced!

I read about the release of the nexus prime so i thought maybe but not if it was only released back in May/june.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Vanbis wrote: »
    I read about the release of the nexus prime so i thought maybe but not if it was only released back in May/june.

Thanks.

think they are calling it the Samsung Nexus

• Advertisement

think they are calling it the Samsung Nexus
    Nexus was googles first phone, then the Nexus S and now the Nexus Prime. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think each phone was the first to have the latest android firmware e.g. 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4 ( or whatever it will be called)

On another note, I am going to flash Cyanogenmod 7.1 tonight. I am currently running litening Rom 6.1 and am are I need to wipe before I flash, backup etc....

Just wondering is there anything else that needs to be done??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Battery life good today, but bigger issue has arisen.

Can't seem to get the outgoing settings for my work email to accept.

It's an IMAP email, and when I put in the settings it says TLS required but not supported by the server. Pretty annoying as I really couldn't give a toss about sending emails with this account on my phone, just want to be able to receive them. :mad:

Just to say that no problems with my exchange account, though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

When you say it may be worth a reset or reflash... Do you mean that you've just flashed the new ROM over villain without doing any wipe prior?

If so then why is it necessary to wipe in the first place?

I don't use Villian ROM, never mentioned it. I did a wipe of the stock rom and then installed 7.1. Again this morning same problem.

KTRIC wrote: »
    I don't use Villian ROM, never mentioned it. I did a wipe of the stock rom and then installed 7.1. Again this morning same problem.
    Have you tried the cyanogenmod forums themselves? This stable ROM is pretty new for SGS2 and I'm struggling to find stuff on it myself! Sorry I can't help! Pain in the arse! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

pedatron wrote: »
    Have you tried the cyanogenmod forums themselves? This stable ROM is pretty new for SGS2 and I'm struggling to find stuff on it myself! Sorry I can't help! Pain in the arse! :(

I did and there seems to be plenty of little issues. I want my phone to just work. So I've gone back to the backup of the stock rom. :)

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote: »
    I did and there seems to be plenty of little issues. I want my phone to just work. So I've gone back to the backup of the stock rom. :)
    Right. I better wait a bit longer til the bugs are ironed out on that ROM so! Lite'ning will do the job for now! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

can someone tell me what this screen is called and how to change it?
    its the initial image shown on power up and has been branded by one of the custom roms i installed

Sorry about poor image quality:pac:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=177860&stc=1&d=1318499950

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Am back to my echo problem again all of a sudden :mad:

When I changed from VR to Litening Rom the problem vanished straight away, but now 5 days later its back again??

Caller's telling me the echo is very bad.

Don't know what to do about this. Hate having to manually press noise reduction button every time I'm on the phone to someone.

Surely there's a fix for this??

Am back to my echo problem again all of a sudden :mad:

When I changed from VR to Litening Rom the problem vanished straight away, but now 5 days later its back again??

Caller's telling me the echo is very bad.

Don't know what to do about this. Hate having to manually press noise reduction button every time I'm on the phone to someone.

Surely there's a fix for this??

Anyone have any recommendations on how to fix this?

Just flashed CyanogenMod's latest nightly and all good so far, email problem sorted :)

Zagato wrote: »
    Just flashed CyanogenMod's latest nightly and all good so far, email problem sorted :)

Any echo problem with Cyanogenmod?

Any echo problem with Cyanogenmod?

No, and I've subsequently flashed the latest nightly build which has fixed my email issue.

In good form now as that is working, and also managed to get wifi working on campus without the proxy, yay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Have you got vibrate notifications working? I'm on nightly 82 and can't for the life of me get it working for SMS, calls or emails! Using no led as a workaround at min but its not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Evening all,

So I've recently gotten a brand new Samsung GS2 on eMobile - very nice phone, not mad on Touchwiz, but the hardware itself is excellent.

I've already rooted it so as to allow me to use the Adfree app and I'm waiting on the USB dongle to arrive in the post so I can get rid of the yellow warning triangle on boot.

But I would like to get rid of some of the bloatware - wtf did eMobile insist on making some Irish translator app mandatory? - and I'm imagining the only way to do it is to put on a custom ROM right? :(

I say :( because I had a Desire HD previously and everytime I put on a new ROM, or a ROM update, something was broken.. or something that was broken in the last release was fixed in the latest one, but then something ELSE was broken. XDA (while generally a great resource) wasn't much help as there's too many fanboys fawning at the developer or pestering them for the next release date.

So what's the best (preferably GS2 stock) ROM out there that's stable, feature-unlocked and will do what I expect it to? I don't care about touchwiz or launcher pro etc as I'll be putting on Launcher 7 anyway.

Also, is loading ROMs on this the same as the DHD - ie: download to the SDcard (or phone storage in this case I guess?) reboot into recovery and flash the zip? Any other things to be aware of?

Cheers!

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Evening all,

So I've recently gotten a brand new Samsung GS2 on eMobile - very nice phone, not mad on Touchwiz, but the hardware itself is excellent.

I've already rooted it so as to allow me to use the Adfree app and I'm waiting on the USB dongle to arrive in the post so I can get rid of the yellow warning triangle on boot.

But I would like to get rid of some of the bloatware - wtf did eMobile insist on making some Irish translator app mandatory? - and I'm imagining the only way to do it is to put on a custom ROM right? :(

I say :( because I had a Desire HD previously and everytime I put on a new ROM, or a ROM update, something was broken.. or something that was broken in the last release was fixed in the latest one, but then something ELSE was broken. XDA (while generally a great resource) wasn't much help as there's too many fanboys fawning at the developer or pestering them for the next release date.

So what's the best (preferably GS2 stock) ROM out there that's stable, feature-unlocked and will do what I expect it to? I don't care about touchwiz or launcher pro etc as I'll be putting on Launcher 7 anyway.

Also, is loading ROMs on this the same as the DHD - ie: download to the SDcard (or phone storage in this case I guess?) reboot into recovery and flash the zip? Any other things to be aware of?

Cheers!

You don't have to change the ROM to get rid of bloatware.
    You can delete those apps if you want as you are rooted. If you don't want to delete them you can freeze them (this prevents them from starting) using an app such as Titanium Backup Pro.

Also worth mentioning since you're not enamored with Touchwiz, try one of the other launchers (ADW, LauncherPro, Go Launcher) most of which allow you to hide apps from your app drawer.

If your flashing ROMs, most are, ZIP files flashable via recovery, but some (particularly stock ones) are flashable via download mode using Odin

• Advertisement

Grassey wrote: »

Have you got vibrate notifications working? I'm on nightly 82 and can't for the life of me get it working for SMS, calls or emails! Using no led as a workaround at min but its not ideal.

Hmmm... you seem to be onto something here, hadn't noticed til you mentioned it, but not for gmail notifications certainly. Will keep an eye on this

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Evening all,

Cheers!

Use Titanium Backup to freeze/uninstall, you can reference this spreadsheet for additional items you may wish to remove.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0Ag43oj7rLQP4dENZcmhGN0ZUa3pHSENVeXlqUm5vV0E&single=true&gid=0&output=html

Grassey wrote: »

Hmmm... you seem to be onto something here, hadn't noticed til you mentioned it, but not for gmail notifications certainly. Will keep an eye on this

Looks like nightly 87 cured the vibration issue somehow... madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

any good guide,s around im new to the s2 and android the s2 i have is running 2.3.5 but im not happy and having a few issues,s and want to try a different rom what is everyone running any help would be great cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

massy086 wrote: »
    any good guide,s around im new to the s2 and android the s2 i have is running 2.3.5 but im not happy and having a few issues,s and want to try a different rom what is everyone running any help would be great cheers

I played around with a few roms...

Currently running LeoMar75 Rom Revolution v2.7.1.... Android 2.3.5..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1171523

Along with the Kitchen App which lets you upgrade the themes, kernels, apps, widgets and much more at the press of a button... No messing around with finding the files etc. as the App downloads and installs them all for you in one go..

I am currently running a Siyah Kernel which I am very impressed with, snappy and battery life seems to have improved...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1263838

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

shmeee wrote: »
    I played around with a few roms...

Currently running LeoMar75 Rom Revolution v2.7.1.... Android 2.3.5..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1171523

Along with the Kitchen App which lets you upgrade the themes, kernels, apps, widgets and much more at the press of a button... No messing around with finding the files etc. as the App downloads and installs them all for you in one go..

I am currently running a Siyah Kernel which I am very impressed with, snappy and battery life seems to have improved...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1263838

Shmee, I'm on VR 3.0 but having a few niggly issues like the phone just switching itself off and requiring a battery pull to restart :eek: and poor enough battery life i.e. just about 16 hours on what I consider to be average use (one hour of phone calls, one hour of web surfing and 2-3 gmail accounts syncing in the background with wi-fi and bluetooth on most of the time) with JuiceDefender Ultimate running it's balanced profile so not that happy.

Crazy as it may sound the thing which is keeping me with VR more than anything else is the fact they have a tweak you can add which disables the annoying (sound or vibrate) alert when your battery is fully charged. That freaks me out at 4am when it happens.

I therefore have three key questions for you:-

1. How are you finding battery life and overall performance with the Revolution Rom?
    2. What if anything (special) will I have to do to migrate from VR 3.0 to Rev Rom?
    2. Do you know if there is any way to disable the battery full alert???

Cheers,

Ben

Ben,

I'm now running CyanogenMod's latest nightly (88) and it is very good. It's the first ROM that has properly gotten rid of the Android OS bug for me (just 7% of my use today) as it is built from ground up it doesn't have any of the Samsung things like that annoying. Battery full notification. Also is incredibly customisable, particularly with regard to editing the options on the drop down menu.

Running CM nightly 87 and its all Zagato says and more, much faster, better and customisable than any of the stock derivatives! Bluetooth is working perfectly, battery life is great, I'm struggling to find something I dislike so far! (well maybe lack of BLN but thats it... and can be remedied by using the Siyah kernel)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Zagato and Grassey, thanks for the CM recommendations. I was kinda waiting for an RC version or even an official stable version to come out before jumping on the CM bandwagon but I might just go with the latest nightly given your strong recommendations. The fact it doesn't even have the annoying battery alarm 'feature' is a big plus for me ;)

I assume there are some easy to follow instructions on installing CM over on the relevant CM forum thread but are there any other tips you'd recommend or anyhting spcific I need to do/bear in mind given I'd be switching over from VR 3.0?

Cheers lads.

Ben

• Advertisement

BenEadir wrote: »
    Zagato and Grassey, thanks for the CM recommendations. I was kinda waiting for an RC version or even an official stable version to come out before jumping on the CM bandwagon but I might just go with the latest nightly given your strong recommendations. The fact it doesn't even have the annoying battery alarm 'feature' is a big plus for me ;)

I assume there are some easy to follow instructions on installing CM over on the relevant CM forum thread but are there any other tips you'd recommend or anyhting spcific I need to do/bear in mind given I'd be switching over from VR 3.0?

Cheers lads.

Ben

CM RC1 is nightly 79, they are now onnightly 89 the late 80s are much more stable for everyday use.

The first post instructions on xda thread are idiot proof, just ensure that you use codeworkx kernal to root I think vr uses chainfires, and that any video taken with camera is removed from phone as it crashes the camcorder.

You should try flaahing the Miui camera.API as its a bit nicer and functional than stock cm

Advertisement