Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Thanks guys. So you reckon I should get rid of setcpu??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Well if you use it to overclock cpu = less battery efficient. If you use it to underclock cpu = dunno why anyone would do this, the device underclocks itself automatically when idle. Best not to use it at all imo. Device is already stupidly fast, don't need to overclock unless you want to run weather/nuclear simulations on your phone :pac:

Got rid of setcpu last night and charged it up.

when I went to bed it had 81% battery left. and when I woke up it had drained down to 31%???!!

Here's the stats:

15h 19m

Display 47%

Android system 20%

Cell standby 7%

Android OS 7%

facebook 5%

phone idle 5%

voice calls 4%

twidroyd 2%

I havn't frozen anything yet with titanium but thats just crap battery life.

Any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I would recommend betterbatterystats for this.

It's available on the market and also from XDA, it will tell you what is causing wakelocks, much more useful than the above stats for battery drain while on standby.

Wakelocks are essentially processes which prevent your phone going into a low power state while the screen is off. It is usually one of the background apps updating content. You can sort apps by the length of time they cause wakelocks, and then see if you can live without the ones that are causing the most.

My battery life is much better today. I had changed the kernel to Ninphetamine's 2.1.2 which I thought didn't have the battery problems of 2.1.3 - but I guess it does, so I flashed 2.0.5 (which is the one that comes in Villainrom 3.0) and today much improved, at 85% after 4 1/2 hours where it's been getting intermittent usage.

Facebook and skype are two apps that drain battery I have found. Skype stupidly tries to poll the network even when disconnected, it will do this all night. I have to manually sign out of skype at night to stop it doing this.

Also note that if you live in an area with weak coverage your phone will use more battery trying to poll the network. Back home for me (barely get 1 bar of signal) the phone will be dead in the morning because of this. Only solution = turn on airplane mode at night, or disable mobile internetz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Grateful if anyone could just confirm I have the right root file for CF-Root for my phone. I would be murdered if I brick this phone so just want to be sure.

My Phone: XWKF4

Root File:
    CF-Root-SGS2_ZS_OZS_KF4-v4.0-CWM4.zip

I am worried the XW bit is relevant, as other versions have a XW prefix, this is OZS. Does any of that make sense??!!:o

All I want is basic root to use Titanium Backup to freeze all the stuff I never use, probably wont bother putting a different ROM on the phone.

Don't know why you are "just rooting" your stock phone. There is a power bug in some of the older versions, rooting isn't gonna fix that.

Go flash a rom with the latest version, you will get root, and latest kernel. Some roms even strip out the bloatware, so no need to bother freezing anything.

Dont want to flash anything as I am not only user of the phone and missus happy with what its like now.

Updated officially to 2.3.4 today so apart from getting more sh*t like the board deals app, the RTE apps and daft.ie app I will see what its like. Handy enough to stick them all in a folder and forget about them anyway.

What are you referring to with the KF4 above, Baseband, kernel or Build number?

Well if you are on 2.3.4, then you don't have KF4 anymore? You should be on at least KG1, no?

Remember you can install leaked official firmwares that are not at all customised and without rooting, but will likely have improved battery life, no carrier bloatware (there's still plenty of Samsung crap though :rolleyes:), and 2.3.5

Anyway, the important thing to check here is that you are rooting 2.3.4 with a 2.3.4 kernel, this is particularly important for KG1 which has 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 kernels.

Zagato wrote: »
    What are you referring to with the KF4 above, Baseband, kernel or Build number?

Well if you are on 2.3.4, then you don't have KF4 anymore? You should be on at least KG1, no?

Remember you can install leaked official firmwares that are not at all customised and without rooting, but will likely have improved battery life, no carrier bloatware (there's still plenty of Samsung crap though :rolleyes:), and 2.3.5

Anyway, the important thing to check here is that you are rooting 2.3.4 with a 2.3.4 kernel, this is particularly important for KG1 which has 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 kernels.

Yeah, I updated after I posted, I am on KI4 now so I didnt download the KF4. I will look again thanks.

• Advertisement

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Yeah, I updated after I posted, I am on KI4 now so I didnt download the KF4. I will look again thanks.

Yeah, it's confusing, because while the system of naming Samsung uses for it's firmwares is in sequential order of how they release them, KI4 is 2.3.4, but KI3 is 2.3.5 :eek:

Question regarding these "autostart" apps like gemini app manager that prevent whatever app from starting up.

Just say I don't use Skype for instance, so I prevent it from autostarting via the above app. I then want to use it, so i click into the app and it starts up as normal. Fine. But then when I click/sign out of it, will I have to go back and make sure its off again in gemini app manager or will to revert back to its state?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

for lads there having mysterious battery drain, i had the same problem out of know where recently, I actually never found out what background proccess was eating the battery, i had gone from charging every 24hrs roughly, to 11 hours and needing to charge,
    i discovered juicedefender ultimate, there is a free version also, im getting 48 hours now on a good day, easily well over 24 hours anyway, it works mostly by very aggressively sleeping wlan and other data transfer functions, if your mad for having instant real time push info sent to your phone, this app might not be for you, but if like me & you dont mind your gmail, fb notifications etc, or data just coming to you when you open the screen, this app will easily double or triple your battery life !

:cool:

Help needed lads,

I flashed lite'ning rom using the odin method as suggested on xda.. and now after rebooting the boot animation is in a constant loop?

Everthing went fine with odin and passed etc. But now its stuck. :(:(

Have I bricked it or what?

Any help would be great. :(

Help needed lads,

I flashed lite'ning rom using the odin method as suggested on xda.. and now after rebooting the boot animation is in a constant loop?

Everthing went fine with odin and passed etc. But now its stuck. :(:(

Have I bricked it or what?

Any help would be great. :(

Can you still get into Recovery and download mode. If so go into recovery, do another wipe, and reflash the ROM via Odin.
    Try holding the power button for ~5s to switch off, otherwise you might have to pull the battery

Can you still get into Recovery and download mode. If so go into recovery, do another wipe, and reflash the ROM via Odin.
    Try holding the power button for ~5s to switch off, otherwise you might have to pull the battery

Ok, I seem to have fixed things. Went into recovery mode and then did a wipe and just rebooted.

It came on straight away with the lite'ning rom installed etc. So I didn't need to do another flash via odin.

:)

Thanks. Now I'll probably stick with this ROM for a while to save any more heart ache :)

If I do a restore with CWM, is that the same as titanium pro? I backed up with both of them before I flashed.

But I noticed that when i restore with titanium that i lose my sms's and contact photos that I had.

Will CWM restore just be the same as titanium or will it restore those sms' and contact photo's etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

If I do a restore with CWM, is that the same as titanium pro? I backed up with both of them before I flashed.

But I noticed that when i restore with titanium that i lose my sms's and contact photos that I had.

Will CWM restore just be the same as titanium or will it restore those sms' and contact photo's etc??

A CWM restore is a nandroid backup. It will change absolutely everything to the state it was backed up at including the ROM, Radio, Kernel. Everything. Its really incase a flash goes screwy

Mega Chin wrote: »
    A CWM restore is a nandroid backup. It will change absolutely everything to the state it was backed up at including the ROM, Radio, Kernel. Everything. Its really incase a flash goes screwy

Thanks for that. Titanium it is so.

Pity it doesn't restore those sms's and contact photos. But I can live with that!

I prevented autostart for a few apps in gemini app manager and now I can't adjust the screen brightness in the display settings? The option is just greyed out and I can't click into it.

Any idea of what could be causing this problem?

I notice that when I've it on charge that I'm able to adjust brightness as normal... But once i take it off charge I'm not able to.

im using latest version of litening ROM

Edit: Found it was due to the battery been so low. Seems to happen when it gets to 4% or lower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I just flashed the stable Cyanogenmod 7.1 release and my video camera isn't working. The app just hangs when I change from camera to video option. Has anyone tried this firmware yet ?

Any idea why I lose my battery usage stats when I power off or reboot my phone? This only happened since I flashed to litening ROM.

Any idea why I lose my battery usage stats when I power off or reboot my phone? This only happened since I flashed to litening ROM.

KTRIC wrote: »
    I just flashed the stable Cyanogenmod 7.1 release and my video camera isn't working..... .....Has anyone tried this firmware yet ?

Not yet, but just downloaded it to my Internal SD and will flash it when I get home from work :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Not yet, but just downloaded it to my Internal SD and will flash it when I get home from work :D:D

you jumping the villainrom ship zagato? Any huge reason or just curiosity?

Well, one of the annoying things about android -and I think it is there deliberately, is the difficulty in switching from 2G/3G.

I used to have a profile in tasker that automated this to some extent but that has been thwarted by:

1. SGS2 does not let you switch 2G/3G while mobile data is on
    2. These profiles are not compatible with Gingerbread apparently

One of the nice things about Cyanogen, when I had it on my Hero was that you could edit the toggle switches that appear in the drop down menu, including mobile data on/off and 2G/3G.

A 3G connection is unnecessary 90% of the time when your phone is just doing background syncing, but it uses twice as much battery power if you have good signal, and generally I have poor signal, so I'd say it probably uses 4 or 5 times as much battery.

In short, I'm hoping that Cyanogen might allow me to switch easily between 2G/3G

Well, one of the annoying things about android -and I think it is there deliberately, is the difficulty in switching from 2G/3G.

I used to have a profile in tasker that automated this to some extent but that has been thwarted by:

1. SGS2 does not let you switch 2G/3G while mobile data is on
    2. These profiles are not compatible with Gingerbread apparently

One of the nice things about Cyanogen, when I had it on my Hero was that you could edit the toggle switches that appear in the drop down menu, including mobile data on/off and 2G/3G.

A 3G connection is unnecessary 90% of the time when your phone is just doing background syncing, but it uses twice as much battery power if you have good signal, and generally I have poor signal, so I'd say it probably uses 4 or 5 times as much battery.

In short, I'm hoping that Cyanogen might allow me to switch easily between 2G/3G

I was wondering about this myself about switching between 2g/3g.

My battery usage stats always show a constant yellow line which I understand means only an average signal. So would turning on 2g, if the option was avaable allow a longer battery duration?

I don't use 3g that much as I'm in a wifi area a lot.

is tasker worth getting by the way?

I just flashed the stable Cyanogenmod 7.1 release and my video camera isn't working. The app just hangs when I change from camera to video option. Has anyone tried this firmware yet ?

So, just flashed and loving it so far, nice Vanilla Lockscreen, very quick/smooth, no bugs yet.

Checked the camera/video thing and working fine here, so might be worth a factory reset or reflash.

The 2G/3G toggle and mobile data toggle from the dropdown menu are working good.

Annoying things so far:

Stock Dialer - can't type in contact names
    Will have to download Dialer One again

No Swype - stock keyboard is excellent mind you

For anyone flashing, remember that you lose all the stock Samsung apps, so the email, messaging apps, and dialer are different

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

For anyone flashing, remember that you lose all the stock Samsung apps, so the email, messaging apps, and dialer are different

And luckily, so is the music app!

• Advertisement

So, just flashed and loving it so far, nice Vanilla Lockscreen, very quick/smooth, no bugs yet.

Checked the camera/video thing and working fine here, so might be worth a factory reset or reflash.

The 2G/3G toggle and mobile data toggle from the dropdown menu are working good.

Annoying things so far:

Stock Dialer - can't type in contact names
    Will have to download Dialer One again

No Swype - stock keyboard is excellent mind you

When you say it may be worth a reset or reflash... Do you mean that you've just flashed the new ROM over villain without doing any wipe prior?

If so then why is it necessary to wipe in the first place?

Advertisement