Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

iggy wrote: »
    Get dolphin browser in the market

Cheers.Great people here giving good tips..:) The phone is miles ahead of the Iphone 4..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Cheers.Great people here giving good tips..:) The phone is miles ahead of the Iphone 4..
    big time, im so ashamed of myself for advocating ip4 for ages lol....I have seen the light now !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

... and an update already... Jeez he's just banging them out every 2 days now!

I'm still happy out on 2.2, might flash the kernel and modem only though, seems to be still bugs wrt everything else on the latest update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Boradan

Im using Villain Rom 2.1 on mine at the minute.
    Excellent ROM with NO FCs at all.
    LauncherPro Plus as my launcher simply because I LOVE the gmail widgets and havent been able to find anything Comparable in the marketplace.
    The clock is a live wallpaper called 'WP Clock'
    Made the dock shortcuts using 'Simple Text' app free from the market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

iPwnage wrote: »

Why dont they concentrate on making a savage good ROM rather than dishing out a five eight job every few days...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

WtF? Listening 4.0 is released then a patch to fix bugs a couple of hours later.
    I'm gonna stay on 3.2 until a bug free one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Anyone try VR2.3 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Zagato wrote: »
    Anyone try VR2.3 yet?

VR2.3,

I'm Using VillainRom 2.1. Don't think there is anything past version 2.1 yet. Unless you are talking about a different Firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Thor wrote: »
    VR2.3,

I'm Using VillainRom 2.1. Don't think there is anything past version 2.1 yet. Unless you are talking about a different Firmware.

Yeah 2.1 is the latest, I was aghast that I could be so far out of date already when I read the post :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Currently using CriskeloROM 4.0. Havnt had any FC's over the last few days. Lot of weird animations in it though. Some nice design choices in it but some weird ones too. Most of the Samsung apps are removed but I think he put Social Hub back in 4.1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Yeah 2.1 is the latest, I was aghast that I could be so far out of date already when I read the post :)

No, I was surprised at this too VR 2.3 has been out since yesterday !!:eek: For some reason Pulser hasn't updated the title of the threads on XDA or over at VillainROM.co.uk

I eventually found the link which was tough when you consider that the thread is about 950 pages long! ........oh wait went looking for the post and see that he has updated the title. Here's the thread

I'd also just like to direct you to the original post by Pulser with yesterday's date on it, just in case you don't believe me

Doesn't sound like there's much difference tbh

noticing a huge improvement on phone after flashing nimphetimine over litening 2.2. I haven't used phone much over last day as I'm travelling but a 9% drain over 18hours in idle is pretty sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Zagato wrote: »
    OneWayBet wrote: »

No, I was surprised at this too VR 2.3 has been out since yesterday !!:eek: For some reason Pulser hasn't updated the title of the threads on XDA or over at VillainROM.co.uk

I eventually found the link which was tough when you consider that the thread is about 950 pages long! ........oh wait went looking for the post and see that he has updated the title. Here's the thread

I'd also just like to direct you to the original post by Pulser with yesterday's date on it, just in case you don't believe me

Doesn't sound like there's much difference tbh

Looks like it was accidentally named 2.3 rather than 2.2. Seems to be just a minor kernel update, might give it a miss for now, life is too short for reflashing firmwate every week :-)

Grassey wrote: »
    noticing a huge improvement on phone after flashing nimphetimine over litening 2.2. I haven't used phone much over last day as I'm travelling but a 9% drain over 18hours in idle is pretty sweet!

Thats pretty impressive.
    I am having major battery drain now. Im on 4.1 with ninphetamine kernel.
    Might flash back to 2.2 with ninphetamine kernel and see if its better.

Edit - flashed back to 2.2 with above kernel. hoping its battery is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

I flashed Lightning 1.5, everything is good bar the sound when listening to music/podcasts. Even at max volume its very faint! Anyone else have this issue?

Mate has Gingerbread on his and the volume thing is not an issue so considering flashing to that. Would the steps involved be just the same as when I flashed Lightning? i.e put the phone into development mode, connect to odin, and flash the rom?

Sorry for all the questions!

AFAIK you will have to wipe the phone if you are going to a different Rom.
    Flash litening 2.0 with odin and see if it fixes sound. After you flash 2.0 there is 2.1 and 2.2 updates with you update via CWM.

Scroll down to downloads section
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1095274

AFAIK you will have to wipe the phone if you are going to a different Rom.
    Flash litening 2.0 with odin and see if it fixes sound. After you flash 2.0 there is 2.1 and 2.2 updates with you update via CWM.

Scroll down to downloads section
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1095274

Cheers. Will try the lightning updates first.

Just in case...how easy is it to wipe the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Once youre in recovery mode with CWM theres a wipe option. Easy as that.
    Just make sure you have up to date backups. I lost a lot of Angry Birds levels that way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Running lightening ROM 3 and looking for the Dummys guide to adding a boot animation. Saw a few on XDA but no instructions on how to install. Anyone know how I could say load something up like the below?

Does rooted mean you have 'jailbroke' phone and get apps by other means ;) and install them?

boot2m.gif

• Advertisement

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Once youre in recovery mode with CWM theres a wipe option. Easy as that.
    Just make sure you have up to date backups. I lost a lot of Angry Birds levels that way :(

Can I clear caches in cwm?
    I know how to clear dalvik cache but is there another cache they recommend to clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Mega Chin wrote: »
    I lost a lot of Angry Birds levels that way :(

I use this saves it as a file on your sd card so even if your backups are old once the version of angry birds is the same it'll back it up.
    Handy!

@ Iggy

1. use the usb cable to copy the 2.2update.zip file from pc to your phone directory, not to your SD card! (it should show up under my computer -> I9100 -> phone - or something similar, just drag and drop the file into that folder)
    2. Open CWM - it should have a message pop up saying "CWM has been granted superuser access" - if its asking you to grant CWM superuser access, allow it to.
    3. Scroll down to "Flash an update.zip"
    4. press Flash update.zip
    5. phone will scan for .zip updates
    6. The next screen should have "Files" at the top and "litening_Rom_v2-2-update.zip underneath it.
    7 Select that zip and it should auto update for you.

When I connect my phone to my laptop I get the following options (attached), removable E been the SD card and removable F been the phone memory. So do I just drag it onto removable F and not into any particular folder?

yeah thats right, there should be 2 drives "card" and "phone" so drag the file into "phone"

Ok I wanna go back to original stock firmware.
    I'm on vodafone but when I flash the firmware from the xda site I get FC's.
    Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Ok I wanna go back to original stock firmware.
    I'm on vodafone but when I flash the firmware from the xda site I get FC's.
    Anyone any ideas?

You need to fix permissions in ROM Manager after you flash each new ROM, that will fix the FC's.

Cheers.
    do I find Rom manager in the Market ?
    I want to put phone back to it's original state but to use rom manager does ur phone have to be rooted?

yeah thats right, there should be 2 drives "card" and "phone" so drag the file into "phone"

Cheers. Sorry forgot to include the attachment on my original post, this is it attached now. The phone doesn't come up as "phone" or "samsung" or whatever, just "removable drive F"...so that's definitely it? Sorry to be annoying, just don't want to mess anything up!

yeah I'd say thats it alright.

• Advertisement

yeah I'd say thats it alright.

Final question...I have flashed the update so can I now just delete the zip file from my phone or does it need to remain? I presume it can just be deleted?

Advertisement