Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Earlier I said that lightening 4.2 appeared to have screwed up Google Sky Maps for me - that wasn't actually the case. What screwed it up for me is that I am an idiot - the little magnetic strip in my phone case was interfering with the magnetometer - doh.

Have finally settled on stock kg3 firmware and kernel me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Alan70

Hi all. Just purchased s2 on hols in India. Will I be able to flash European fw onto phone when I get home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Alan70 wrote: »
    Hi all. Just purchased s2 on hols in India. Will I be able to flash European fw onto phone when I get home?

Yes, should be fairly easy

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Anyone running CM7 nightlies? Stable enough for everyday use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Jonathan wrote: »
    Anyone running CM7 nightlies? Stable enough for everyday use?

Haven't tried any of them yet, But i do here good things. That being said, I would wait for a stable release.

I don't think you would have many issue, But I would still suggest waiting for a stable release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Flashed the phone now to Lightening Rom v5 seems to be going ok and battery lasts a bit but I ain't a heavy user. The Kernel that I have on the phone is 2.6.35.7 hardcore@speedmod #s2-k1-t17-200hz. Seen a few others but what is the best to use?

Anyone else have v5 of Lightening Rom ? if so What launcher are users using with this. Using Launcher Pro and ok with it but want to try others. Not sure if to get paid version from market?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Tbh Ive gone off Launcher Pro completely. It was so promising but its very rarely updated now.
    I use Go Launcher EX. They may be spying on me but I like their stuff and its all free & frequently updated with features out the Yaya

I see KH1 is out now, Paul O'Brien has a ROM over on XDA Forum, and online kitchen available for members of Modaco forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Paul O'Brien took up the issue of them "spying" and had some interaction with them over it. He was satisfied that they need the phone id to properly uniquely identify each handset. The GO group are backed by a big VC hence the frequent updates at zero cost.

I also switched from Launcherpro to the GO stuff and haven't looked back.
    Mega Chin wrote: »
    Tbh Ive gone off Launcher Pro completely. It was so promising but its very rarely updated now.
    I use Go Launcher EX. They may be spying on me but I like their stuff and its all free & frequently updated with features out the Yaya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I see Litening rom 6.2 is available now. How do I delete launcher pro and other useless apps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I see Litening rom 6.2 is available now. How do I delete launcher pro and other useless apps.

Titanium Backup is your best friend for that!

Grassey wrote: »
    Titanium Backup is your best friend for that!

Cheers can I delete them from my pc using that when the phone is plugged in????

I don't think so, Its all in app as far as I know.

Grassey wrote: »
    I don't think so, Its all in app as far as I know.

Ya I googled it there.Thanks.:)

-Corkie- wrote: »

How are you finding this still on v6 have not upgrade. It comes with a different kernel this correct and any good things bad thinks about it. I am using Launcher pro find it ok tried Go Launcher but did not find that suited me each to their tastes

I wouldn't worry over much about which kernel or launcher it comes with, these are all easy to change. the kernel on 6.1 (latest) has now been updated anyways, so expect another litening release shortly...

I'm still on litening 2.2, haven't seen to need to update it, his changelogs are all over the place, he just releases a new version everytime a new modem is released, and removes overscroll, adds it back, removes something else, adds it back...

I just update the baseband and kernels separately, when new ones are released. And then add additional bits myself, like the BLN, and a 6 button notification bar instead of the ROMs 5 buttons etc.

How are you finding this still on v6 have not upgrade. It comes with a different kernel this correct and any good things bad thinks about it. I am using Launcher pro find it ok tried Go Launcher but did not find that suited me each to their tastes

I cannot see any difference TBH....

Few Questions

Running Lite'ning rom v 6 and standard kernel have not updated to v6.1 as of yet.

Has anyone installed the Ninphetamine kernel and whats it like in particular to battery drainage ?

Have Launcher Pro and using Go SMS. Under contacts in Go SMS the contacts are duplicated how can I remove these other than going through one by one?

Have the standard FM radio on it and it can only store 10 stations unless I am missing something? What other FM radio apps(not streaming radio) apps are there?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Can't answer your other questions but can tell you that Tunein is the best streaming radio app I've found so far - can even be used as an alarm.

I found that Ninphetamine 2.1.2 was pretty good on battery life, 2.1.3 I'm not so sure.

Don't use Go SMS

'Spirit FM Radio' and 'FM TwoO' are 2 apps that are radio tuners, have just downloaded them now to give 'em a try

• Advertisement

Zagato wrote: »
    I found that Ninphetamine 2.1.2 was pretty good on battery life, 2.1.3 I'm not so sure.

Don't use Go SMS

'Spirit FM Radio' and 'FM TwoO' are 2 apps that are radio tuners, have just downloaded them now to give 'em a try

Thanks for the radio apps downloaded them and will give them a try

What are the other options other than go SMS ? With the standard messaging app names duplicated also?

May not mess with Kernel yet and as going ok so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

So, where are things at in terms of the best ROM for the SGS II at the moment??? This thread seems to have slowed.

Ben

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

BenEadir wrote: »
    So, where are things at in terms of the best ROM for the SGS II at the moment??? This thread seems to have slowed.

Ben
    I'm currently using Oxygen 2.2.1.

Very stable AOSP ROM.

Jonathan wrote: »
    I'm currently using Oxygen 2.2.1.

Very stable AOSP ROM.

Thanks Jonathan, how does it compare with Villain Rom assuming you tried VR at some stage??

The latest version of VR 3.0 is available here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1198334

I'll read up on both to see what I should do next but would appreciate your thoughts on Oxygen Vs VR if you have any.

Ben

Never tried it unfortunately.

Looking for a bit of help here.

I was on VR 1.4 and correctly rooted etc. I flashed VR 3.0, rebooted, flashed the new KI3 modem and rebooted and went to restore apps via Titanium but it's telling me my phone isn't rooted anymore.

It's a while since I messed around with this stuff so I'm confused at to a) how the phone went from rooted to unrooted and b) what I need to now do to root it again :confused:

Help ????

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Looking for a bit of help here.

I was on VR 1.4 and correctly rooted etc. I flashed VR 3.0, rebooted, flashed the new KI3 modem and rebooted and went to restore apps via Titanium but it's telling me my phone isn't rooted anymore.

It's a while since I messed around with this stuff so I'm confused at to a) how the phone went from rooted to unrooted and b) what I need to now do to root it again :confused:

Help ????

Ben

Very noob myself but i think i read something about downloading superuser from the market again and this can work??

actually read here, end of page and next one http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/content.php/326-VillainROM-3.0-for-SGS2-2.3.5-Custom-ROM?#new_comment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

android noob here:

I purchased a sim free S2 out in bangkok last week and its running the the following:

Baseband: I9100DXKF1

Kernal: 2.6.35.7-I9100DXKF4-CL310100 root@Dell101 #2

Build: GINGERBREAD.DXKF4

Now I heard that I need to flash it with firmware from home? I'm back at home now so would like to go about flashing it with something.

What ROM would you recommend?

Do I have to update via kies to the latest firmware first in order to flash?

Thanks.

android noob here:

I purchased a sim free S2 out in bangkok last week and its running the the following:

Baseband: I9100DXKF1

Kernal: 2.6.35.7-I9100DXKF4-CL310100 root@Dell101 #2

Build: GINGERBREAD.DXKF4

Now I heard that I need to flash it with firmware from home? I'm back at home now so would like to go about flashing it with something.

What ROM would you recommend?

Do I have to update via kies to the latest firmware first in order to flash?

Thanks.

You can flash the latest 2.3.5 with this http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/content.php/326-VillainROM-3.0-for-SGS2-2.3.5-Custom-ROM. Instructions here http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/4830-GUIDE-Noobs-this-is-how-to-install-VillainRom

So where did you buy?? MBK, Pantip???

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Thanks. I'll give that a go tomorrow and see how I get on.

If I flash it with the above ROM...will I have rooted it as well, or will have have to do that separately? I see the Titanium pro is an app worth getting to back stuff up?

Yeah bought 3 of them in MBK. one for g.f and another for a mate as well. My two sisters are off out there on hols next week as well and they are ditching their iphone 4's and getting the S2 as well!

Love the android OS so far, and I can't believe I was set in stone on the IOS for a year. Not a patch on the android as far as I can see....apart from the app store and thats about it imo.

Advertisement