Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 31/10/2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The guy from Ray Darcy's show, Gary Kirwan, just finished the marathon 10hrs45mins

pic.twitter.com/jzV4WZZY

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 stars (good)
    Another thing, I thought it started at 9am and was all ready for that. Just realised an hour ago that it was a 10 start. Did it start at 9am other years or have I remembered incorrectly?

Yep, usually starts at 9. By 8:45 I was really wishing it was still starting at 9. Got a bit bored sitting around.
    Got my sub 3. 2:58,16 on my watch. Am delighted. Didn't think I'd do it when the pacers started to leave me at about 18 but somehow I caught them and overtook them.

Congrats. You must have left McGrattans by the time I got there, or I was in a daze and missed you. :D

Well done all, some really super times posted today. Great running.

Big thanks to all the boardsies out there supporting - between friends, club people, boardsies and ex-work mates I don't think I went half a mile at any point without getting a shout out. Fantastic support out there today. It really does give you a boost, so thanks for braving the rain to cheer us on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Big thanks to all the boardsies out there supporting - between friends, club people, boardsies and ex-work mates I don't think I went half a mile at any point without getting a shout out. Fantastic support out there today. It really does give you a boost, so thanks for braving the rain to cheer us on.
    It was tough going at times. The wall I was sitting on was hard and cold but I'm happy I stuck it out. Voice is gone from shouting. Its alot harder cheering than running:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

gerard65 wrote: »
    It was tough going at times. The wall I was sitting on was hard and cold but I'm happy I stuck it out. Voice is gone from shouting. Its alot harder cheering than running:p

And I was surrounded by the eldery of Walkinstown who thought every black fella that came through (even after 4hrs) was a Kenyan!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭49ers fan

4 stars (good)
    2nd time around DCM, thought the crowds today were fantastic, really great support, thanks guys. Just happy to finish, no records set. Big thank you to the guy handing out the mini 'milky bars' around mile 23, savage, fair play to you:D. Well done to everyone who took part, really happy with the nice medal. Have to concur with one of the early posters here about some of the water stations, I hit mile 15 station and they were out of water, next station was then packed up! Don't agree with that.....still very happy to be sitting here with the feet up, beer in hand :D

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    gerard65 wrote: »

At least you saw me. Woddle ignored me. :mad: I had to shout at him and wave like a maniac just to be acknowledged, I think it's that big belly of his it affecting his eyesight. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Art of Noise

I did my second DCM today and fifth marathon. Found the conditions pretty tough, quite warm and humid as well as the wind although that could have been worse.

I did 3:12 which is not a PB but I pretty much decided at half way when I was about 1.34 that I knew a PB was not in me as my legs were tired; it felt like I'd done a lot more than 13 miles. I decided to ease off on the slightly downhill section around Terenure as I believed if I'd kept going at the same pace I would have hit the wall at the hills around the 20 mile mark. In the end I was happy with my decision as a PB (Anything Sub 3.10) just wasn't in me today no matter what.

Having done Dublin last year when conditions were perfect, I noticed from my overall placing how the tougher conditions affected times this year. I did 3.15 last year and finished about 930 overall I think. This year with a time only about 3 and half minutes quicker I was inside the top 600.

Yet again the crowds were fantastic. Around Inchicore, Terenure and at the end the noise is incredible. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marathonm@n

Asolutely wasted. Left everything out there. Had a fillet for tea and now off the scratcher. Have to say I didn't use the pacers but they really worked for the last 3 miles. Was done at 23 and the 3.30 pacer passed me. I kept up for about a mile and he just kept getting further ahead. I had given up on the sub 3.30 when the 2nd 3.30 passed me. gave me a lift but couldn't keep pace but finished about 10 secs behind and finished in 3.29.48. absolutely ecstatic and I know I wouldn't have done it without the pacers. 23 mins faster than my pb. legs very stiff but so worth it. I'd say without the pacers in the last 3 I would have finished at least 2 mins slower as I had lost all rythym. Thanks guys,whoever you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kinbe

4 stars (good)
    Really enjoyed my first marathon. Finished with 3:50 and a 2 minute negative split . The heat in the first 5 miles was serious as I tried to follow the 3:45 pacers. Decided to chill for a while and came home well. Compliments to all Boardies on this thread as it was a great companion in preparing for the race.........also +1 on the spectators.......it was class.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Decided 4 weeks ago that i would sign up. Did a few short runs, and one 19 miler to prepare.
    Today was absolute agony. Went with 4.15 pacers and felt good around 6 mile mark so pushed on a bit. Went through half way in 2.04. Was caught by mile 18 by pacers, stayed with them until N11, the last 5 miles were the worst ever. Kept running and came home in 4.23.46. Came home, had some grub and slept from 5-11, awake now and my legs are in bits and can't get back to sleep.
    Well done to everyone who did it, especially those caught in the rain (like me) near the end. Its a fantastic achievement, i'm just glad i have it done now.
    Thanks to the posters for all the advice over the weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭chinguetti

2 stars (poor)
    In brief, without reading the thread today - first water station was shocking. First one at mile 3 had 2 girls trying in vain to give water out to people. They haven't a hope the poor things.

Saw people throwing themselves under the tables to get water from the packaging. Could not believe it that a race like Dublin would not have enough people on the tables for the busiest stands. I know its people giving up their time for free but 2 people on one table is a bit daft for 14,000 plus runners

Ended up getting my water bottle from my belt nicked around this point, got nearly cut in half by a steward because i was expected to jump over a road island in Inchicore without notice (i obey stewards but you got to tell me where to go before the junction if there is no sign), Marty Morrisssey tried to grab me off the road round Terenure (he got some poor girl instead) and got punched by a young gurrier before mile 24 when i was high fiving kids.

Crowds were great, great support along the way and v happy with a sub 4 but still amazed about the water stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Burgman

chinguetti wrote: »
    In brief, without reading the thread today - first water station was shocking. First one at mile 3 had 2 girls trying in vain to give water out to people.

Crowds were great, great support along the way and v happy with a sub 4 but still amazed about the water stations.

There could be the beginning of a major problem here. I was out on the course and heard some of the slower runners say that the previous water station had run out of water. I went ahead to the next one hoping to see plenty of water but no. They told me that they had run out of water about half an hour before that. Later I saw two trucks go in that direction and I am hoping that they had replacement stocks of water. But for some of the slower people to be deprived of water at two diffferent water stations sounds like a major miscalculation to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Burgman

Just noticed that the split time details are not totally accurate. What is described as being 10km couldn't possibly be 10km - but I did see a timing mat at the 5 mile marker on TV - which would make a bit more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

something of a low point for me today. As my hands started to hurt from clapping, I paused to feel sorry for myself and what I was putting myself through. Then I remembered who I was standing there clapping for and felt like a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stipes212

menoscemo wrote: »
    3:59:20 by watch as a 4 hr pacer. Times on tds still seem to be gun times rather than chip times.

Did you start in the 2cnd or 3rd wave?
    Excellent pacing btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Well done to everyone who took part.
    Stood at the bottom of my road cheering you on and waiting for my wifes 2 friends to come through.
    Nearly broke a lung laughing at the guy in the borat swimsuit who ran past...even funnier was the dublin man behind who shouted "i've to run behind it"!!

Congrats to you all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

2 stars (poor)
    Whatever about my own issues during the race [disaster, August injury recurring], I think if this had been a race like Clontarf or Midlands people would have been hopping mad with some of the issues.

The water stations were a disaster, not just what Chinquetti said about bottles not being out at some [which is criminal], or people not manning later tables at some stations - at several [like crumlin] the bins were beside the water tables but not open, and at other the bins were right beside the water tables - so 20 meters down the road there was ungodly mess of water bottles.

Afterwards my bag [and several others] were in a puddle by side of road - so the contents where soaking, so no towel or change of clothes for me.

To be honest - I found the congestion at times a really pain in the bum [start, phoenix park, crumlin, off top of my head], with people jumping in front of you, and with you having nowhere to move - basically there being more people running than those roads could handle.

Like I said, if Eoin Ryan or someone had organised this, I think more people would be upset, but because its the DCM there is an element of rose tinted glasses :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

At least you saw me. Woddle ignored me. :mad: I had to shout at him and wave like a maniac just to be acknowledged, I think it's that big belly of his it affecting his eyesight. :pac:

So wearig black is just a myth :D
    I was surprised to see you at that stage but you looked well in control and I knew you were on for a good time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Got a PB of 3 hours 20 mins yesterday so delighted! Completed DCM last year and Belfast earlier this year and found yesterday by far the toughest. I suppose if you want to improve your time then you have to up the pace and that leaves it more difficult.

Felt very dehydrated and my legs like jelly at about the half way point so I knew it was going to be tough. I stopped for less than 10 seconds about 6 times but it actually helped me I think. There was absolutely nothing left in the tank yesterday so at least I know I gave it everything.

3 marathons and that's it for me, could not go through that again. Will be buying a bike soon and give the knees a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭itsalltrue

3 stars (average)
    finished in 3:42 which was a new PB by 15 minutes. Was on for a 3:30 up to the 20 mile marker but i got terrible cramps for the last 6 miles. I had to stop every 1/4 mile to stretch. Not sure what went wrong as i never suffer from cramps. At the end i was finished with Marathons but now i'd like to go back again to get the sub 3:30. crowds were great and up to the cramps i was enjoying the run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

4 stars (good)
    It was a tough day for me. I was aiming for 4 hours and was on track at halfway, but knew I was finding it much harder than I should be at that stage. I tried to stick with it, but the last I saw of the 4 hour balloons was at Terenure. After that it was a struggle to keep going. I stopped to a walk about 6 or 7 times from there on, but found the cramp in my left calf was actually worse when I walked. What kept me going was my minimum target of beating last years time. I did manage that, finishing in 4:15, 3 mins better than last year. I was shattered at the end. My legs were in bits.
    The last 10 miles was really painful, I wondered several times 'why do I put myself through this sort of ordeal?' But, I have set myself a target of a 4 hour marathon and I still want to achieve that.
    Have to say, the support was fantastic. Thanks and well done to all those who turned out to support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

3 stars (average)
    Burgman wrote: »
    Just noticed that the split time details are not totally accurate. What is described as being 10km couldn't possibly be 10km - but I did see a timing mat at the 5 mile marker on TV - which would make a bit more sense.
    Yes the timing mats were at 5 miles, half way and 20 miles. I don't know why the Dublin site has them up at 10k and there have already been complaints on the DCM facebok site.
    The splits are correct on the TDS Live site
    stipes212 wrote: »
    Did you start in the 2cnd or 3rd wave?
    Excellent pacing btw.
    Cheers, we started towards the back of wave 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Traveling Matt

Well done to everyone yesterday. Think my chip may have failed, no record of me after the halfway mark on tds. Anyone else experiencing this? No time in the paper either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Asolutely wasted. Left everything out there. Had a fillet for tea and now off the scratcher. Have to say I didn't use the pacers but they really worked for the last 3 miles. Was done at 23 and the 3.30 pacer passed me. I kept up for about a mile and he just kept getting further ahead. I had given up on the sub 3.30 when the 2nd 3.30 passed me. gave me a lift but couldn't keep pace but finished about 10 secs behind and finished in 3.29.48. absolutely ecstatic and I know I wouldn't have done it without the pacers. 23 mins faster than my pb. legs very stiff but so worth it. I'd say without the pacers in the last 3 I would have finished at least 2 mins slower as I had lost all rythym. Thanks guys,whoever you were.

You did all the running entirely yourself; congratulations, I'm delighted for you. The help we provided was only a small part, the rest was up to you. Well Done!

4 stars (good)
    Woddle wrote: »
    So wearig black is just a myth :D
    I was surprised to see you at that stage but you looked well in control and I knew you were on for a good time

I was expecting you in Milltown was a bit surprised to see you there so I had to shout! :D

My only issues yesterday were that there was only one table at the first water station, there was a scrummage and I just kept running expecting more tables only for there to be none. I had to wait for someone to throw theirs away and nab it from them as I really needed it with the heat in the early stages.

The congestion in Crumlin was a bit of a pain as well, why was the road barriered off? I know there's usually cones here but at least you can dodge around cones but the barriers made it really difficult. Everyone around me seemed to have slowed at this stage and I found it difficult to overtake in parts.

A couple of stewards were a bit rude, one nearly got a smack in the face from me. Ignorant sh*t.

Based on my experience I'd still give a 4 or 5 star rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Well done to everyone yesterday. Think my chip may have failed, no record of me after the halfway mark on tds. Anyone else experiencing this? No time in the paper either.

My time is not registered, I sent them an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭runningcoach

3 stars (average)
    heffsarmy wrote: »
    My time is not registered, I sent them an email.

Yeah my chip did not work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    Sub 2:35
    Tunguska - 4th marathon
    emerald007 - 10th marathon

Sub 2:45
    2:44.59 - Pablo T
    2.36.00 devotional1993
    2:44:59 - n-dawg - 3rd marathon

Sub 3:00
    2:49:xx - Gringo78 - 3rd Marathon
    2:51.xx - Racman - 10th Marathon (30th anniversary of first one)
    2:54:59 - brownian - 5th Marathon
    2:55.30 - RunForestRun - 12th Marathon
    2:56:00- Dr. Quirky
    2:59.59 - Lex Luther - 9th Marathon
    2:59:30 - Fazz - 1st Marathon (aiming high!)
    2:59:30 - haggis_mccloud - 1st Marathon (also aiming high)
    2:59:30 - TheRoadRunner - sub 3hr Pacer & looking forward to it
    2:59.29 - 7mile- 7th Marathon
    2:59.59 - Earlyevening 6th marathon
    2:59.59 - Slogger Jogger Twenty somethingth marathon. 8th Dublin.
    2:59.59 - NeedsTraining - 7th marathon (aiming high, legs feel now) *
    2:59.59 - Wideball - 6th marathon

Sub 3:15
    3:05:59 - Art of Noise - 5th Marathon (Last three - 3:20, 3:15, 3:10)!
    3:09:59 - Diggy78 - 5th Marathon
    3:09:59 - Corkrunner71 - 12th Marathon
    3:14:30 - Krusty_Clown - Sub 3:15 pacer - lots of marathons
    3:14:xx - condo131 - 21st Marathon (but running sh*te at the mo')
    3:14:59 - Potsy11 - 6th Marathon
    3:14:xx - EC1000 - 3rd Marathon (1st one in 5 years and 50/50 if I'll make the start line - piriformis/sacroiliac joint issues)
    3:14:xx - Kone - 4th Marathon
    3:14:xx - jahaco - 36th Marathon (looking forward to meeting Krusty_Clown and trying to qualify for London 2013)

Sub 3:30
    3:19:59 - Floyd333 - 1st Marathon
    3:20:00 - Aficionado - 2nd Marathon
    3:20:00 - L&P - 3rd Marathon
    3:22:00 - wfdrun - 4th Marathon
    3:24:00 - Bigdreams - 5th Marathon
    3:25:00 - EMPM - 1st Marathon
    3:25:59 - BrokenMan - 3rd Marathon
    3:26:42 - Der Nipper 3rd Marathon (exact time closer to date)
    3:28:00 - Mr Slow - 3rd Marathon
    3:29:00 - ItsAllTrue - 2nd Marathon
    3:29:30 - snailsong - 1st marathon
    3:29:30 - TFBubendorfer - (pacer) 22nd marathon
    3.29.30 - Liamo123 - ( pacer ) 9th marathon ( presuming I get 2 Berlin in one piece )
    3:29:30 - neilc - will be 4th marathon
    3:29:59 - RayCun - 3.29.12:D
    3:29:59 - Tipp man running - 5th marathon
    3:29:59 - AverageRunner - 3rd Marathon
    3:29:59 - Ray von - 1st Marathon
    3:29:59 - paulb79 - 2nd marathon
    3.29.59 - marathonm@n - 6th marathon
    3.29.59 - Dundalk - 2nd marathon
    3:29:59 - Spanx - 1st marathon
    3:29:59 - Mr Marenghi - 4th marathon (2nd marathon with proper, full, injury free training)
    3:29:58 - James Howlett - 2nd Marathon

Sub 3:45
    3:37:59 - marthastew- 7th Marathon
    3:39:59 - MaxPower131 - 2nd Marathon
    3:40:00 - guysmiley - 2nd Marathon (1st was last May in Stockholm at 3:49)
    3:42:00 - Sharktale
    3:43:07 - BobbyB - 1st Marathon
    3.43.59 -aigster -10th marathon
    3:44:59 - steviecakes - 2nd Marathon
    3:44:30 - Macanri - (Pacer) not as many marathons as the other pacers!
    3:44:30 - Brianderunner (Pacer)
    3:44:30 - shotgunmcos (Pacer) - 10th Marathon, 3rd time pacing DCM
    3:45:00 suseoh 1st marathon
    3:45:00 - antomagoo 1st marathon
    3:45:00 - Concerned2 1st marathon
    3:45:00 - 28064212 - 1st Marathon
    3:45:00 - Kinbe 1st Marathon
    3:44:59 - digger, 3rd Marathon
    3:44:59 - Shell to Run, 3rd Marathon

Sub 4:00
    3.49.59 - Dullahan2 1st marathon
    3.50.00 - Van.Bosch - 2nd Marathon
    3.50.00 - Digijem - 2nd Marathon
    3.50:00 - Vagga 1st marathon - Changed this ages ago but it got reset. Post 4 week layoff, dropping goal a bit to be realisitc
    3.55.59 - i008787 - 9th Marathon
    3.57.30 - dazed+confused 1st Marathon
    3:57:59 - Conseng - 1st marathon
    3:58:29 - hawkwing - 4th marathon (4th DCM)
    3:59:30 - menoscemo - (pacer) 11th Marathon
    3:59:30 - Oisin11178 - (pacer) 35th marathon
    3:59:30 - christeb - (pacer) 5th Marathon
    3:59:30 - Jackyback - (pacer) 6th Marathon (1 IM mara)
    3:59:30 - Jim0 - 2nd Marathon (narrowly missed 4:00 in Berlin 2011; seeking revenge)
    3:59:30 - Neverhappy, 1st Marathon, sprint to finish if i can walk !!!
    3.59.59 - PDCAT - 1st Marathon
    3.59.59 - lahaine, first marathon, eye of the tiger baby!
    3.59.59 - iMac Hunt 3rd marathon
    3.59.59 - mfdc 2nd marathon
    3.59.59 - BobMac104 1st Marathon ( 4.15 is prob more realistic but sub 4 is the goal)
    3.59.59 - Cabaal 2nd marathon (Same target but ran into issues during Cork Marathon in June)
    3:59:59 - Tinydave (hopfully the i get some tailwind)
    3:59:59 - IMKNACKERED 2nd attempted marathon
    3:59:59 - Dev123 2nd marathon
    3:59:59 - liamog - 1st Marathon, going to run with the pacers for the first 20.
    3:59:59 - D Chief, 2nd Marathon
    3:59:59 - Red face Dave, 1st Marathon

Sub 4:30
    4:14:30 Runningcoach - (pacer) - 46th marathon
    4:14:29 kandikane (pacer)-10th marathon
    4:14:59 Smoochie06 - 1st Marathon
    4:15:00 grasscutter - 4th Marathon
    4.14.02 - tec diver, 2nd marathon, Connemara was my first!
    4:29:30 Izoard - (pacer) 14th standalone + 2 Ironman marathons....
    4;29:59 Younganne 2nd Marathon
    4:29:59 Micilín Muc 2nd marathon (first one I trained properly for!)
    4.29.59 subscriber 1st marathon (was hoping to go sub 4, too much time out on injury means that wont be happening)
    4.29.59 OldieWilson 1st marathon (was also hoping to do sub 4, but too much time out injured)
    4.29.59 Ontheditch2 1st marathon
    4.29.59 run44 - 1st marathon
    4.29.59 RE*AC*TOR 1st marathon
    4.29.59 Wally Runs (pacer) - some
    4:29:45 (pacer) Ultraman1-a few.
    4:29:59 razor12345 - 1st Marathon

Sub 5:00
    4:59:30 ger664 - (pacer) 6th Marathon
    4:40:00 CramCycle

Just Finish
    hoping to finish in 5:15 -diddleyland 3rd marathon
    Just Finish - foxyboxer - 1st Marathon
    Just Finish- Kit3- 1st marathon
    Just Finish- JJJJNR - 1st Marathon
    Just Finish -Pilot1087 - 1st Marathon (decided to go for it)
    Just Finish - Elvis Jones - 1st Marathon and have had problems along the way. No injuries, just messy problems. But i'll finish if i have to craw
    Just Finish- Hunnymonster 51st Marathon
    Just Finish - Mr Abbey - 1st Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

2 stars (poor)
    Jimh wrote: »
    2:00 Half 4:28 Full - Nothing in the legs from13-19 miles but then ran the last 7 - Beat last year by 2 minutes but was hoping for closer to 4 hours

Almost exact replica of my race. Ran with the 4 hr pacers (thanks lads) for first 14 miles and suffered badly until 20. Seemed to rally a bit then and insisted on running up that nice hill and did ok ish from there to the finish for 4.15. Was very briefly disappointed but am chuffed to bits to have ran a marathon and finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Congrats to all! We were in Inchicore at the left turn onto the SCR. Great reaction from the crowd, everyone seemed to be enjoying the music as they made it to the top of the hill there. Great atmosphere, and impressed with everyone out there (I'm too much of a wuss to attempt it!)

Advertisement