Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 31/10/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

ct_roy wrote: »
    don't be too hard on yourself. I had a very similar day today to you. I went off just ahead of the 3:45 pacers and was fine until Chapelizod but started suffering big time after that. I was hoping to get near by PB of 3:44 from last year but all chance of that faded away as the 3:45 pacers left me for dead around mile 19. After that I was hoping to beat my 2009 time of 3:55 and was looking good to do so for a long time but the energy just kept being sapped from the legs today and I ended up coming home in 3:57.

I was more dissapointed at mile 19 when I realised a PB wasn't on the cards but given the agony of the last hour I was delighted to clock a sub 4 in the end - funny how the dynamics of a race change!

I've decided on an "All or nothing" approach for future marathons. I was most definitely undertrained for today and wasn't sure a month ago if I'd make it to the start line. In hindsight I probably would have been better off knocking DCM 2011 on the head and training hard for Commemara 2012. Lessons learned.

griffin100 - no need to feel like a fraud - making it across the line when faced with adversity is a hell of a lot harder than cruising around with no problems whatsoever. Pat yourself on the back and take on board the lessons from today for your next one.

Thanks for all the wonderful people who made it out in the crap conditions - you're support is always appreciated!

Cheers for those words, sitting at home watching the race on sky plus still trying to work out what went wrong. When I said I felt like a fraud that wasn't a reflection on that marathon time and anyone who has that time, it was a reflection of the anger I felt with myself for wallowing in self pity for the last 10 miles instead of HTFU:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

RayCun wrote: »
    Tough day out there, and I might have marked the race down a bit because so much of it was on narrow sections of road, it felt really congested in a lot of places. But they get the point back again for the help in the medical tent :):eek:

Yes, and with a massive balloon that had the habit of wrapping itself around runners behind me, it was all the worse.

I went through halfway a couple of seconds behind pace because I had been stuck in traffic for a couple of miles, and there were quite a few such sections. It was my sixth Dublin marathon I don't ever remember it being so crowded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 siooo88

My first time doing the marathon today, and I am glad to say that it won't be my last, even though both my legs feel like they may fall off at any moment!!

Managed to stick with the 3:45 pacers until about half way...but then the knees started to give way. I had been suffering with them the past 6 weeks so hadn't gotten the long runs I needed before today. Ended up finishing with a time of 4hrs 19mins on my garmin, happy with that for my first time out as there was a point where I questioned whether or not I could finish but battled through to cross the line.

Hopefully get healed up soon, and I am looking at the Rotterdam marathon as my next outing!!

Well done to everyone today and some excellent times by the guys on here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

4 stars (good)
    3.29 thanks to the 3.30 pacers. No problem too big for these guys including slow punture on one of the baloons. Thanks guys!!

One of the pacers lost his number for bag colection, hope you got sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Very much enjoyed myself today.

I was one of the 3:30 pacers. Maybe it's because I could take it easy rather than trying to run at the the edge of my abilities, but I thought the crowds were particularly good today. I could not stop smiling half the time and the encouragement from the sidelines was brilliant.

Anyone who ran with an ipod, you really don't know what you're missing.

To anyone watching today, encouraging the runners and clapping for hours, despite the windy and rainy conditions - thank you. You make this a special day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

griffin100 wrote: »
    Cheers for those words, sitting at home watching the race on sky plus still trying to work out what went wrong. When I said I felt like a fraud that wasn't a reflection on that marathon time and anyone who has that time, it was a reflection of the anger I felt with myself for wallowing in self pity for the last 10 miles instead of HTFU:o

Sorry I didn't get to see you Griffin, you have had a long year a 1/2 Ironman in May, Ironman in August and its hard to keep plugging away up to November. I had 12 weeks from The Humbert Challenge and I reckon i needed more so you had even less coming from Hardman. Take a nice few weeks off and then the focus goes to Connemara perhaps

I got chatting as I do to two lads way down behind the 3.45's at the start line. I tried and tried to get back but never could even though I was running at 8.30 pace (I had forgotten to factor in I was running more than 26.2 with the twisting and turning).

I had a low moment at mile 16 where I knew I was fading fast even though I had ran faster and longer a few weeks ago, I gave up on the 3.45 there and then, slowed and worked on breaking my sub 4 duck. Got to 20 miles and I just knew I was going to make it running all the way so was able to pick it up again. Came in with chip time 3.49.59 so I will take that like a shot as I was worried the sub 4 was gone at 16.

Really enjoyed the support, Inchicore and eye of the tiger was a huge lift for me - fair play to them all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

4 stars (good)
    aigster wrote: »
    3.47 just outside my target but not by much...so glad to get it done, was tough..thanks to 3.45 pacers and well to all pacers ..knocked 18 mins off last year... So that's me .. I'm not running again Ever...

Well till Thursday anyway! and the winning tine in 2.08... That's just unreal...!!

Congrats one and all!

well done I hope we provided good entertainment along the way, my shouts of encouragements were falling on deaf ears, oggy oggy oggy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

4 stars (good)
    First time doing one, finished in 4 hours 34 minutes. Was aiming for the 4 and a half hour mark. Absolutely delighted with myself, I couldn't stop smiling after crossing the line, despite being in a lot of pain!!

Well done to anybody that did it, especially for the first time. We're now part of an elite group!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    To anyone watching today, encouraging the runners and clapping for hours, despite the windy and rainy conditions - thank you. You make this a special day.

Yeah, seemed to be loads of supporters out today,more than last year

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

4 stars (good)
    Really happy to have done this and really "enjoyed". +1 on what TFBubendorfer said about the crowd, they were the best I ever experience, fair play to Dublin. Inchicore was a brilliant buzz with the crowd closing in like a mountain stage of Tour de France.

I'm not sure where people are coming from with conditions, I thought it was pretty good!

My only complaint would be that the pacers went too fast :D. Nah, seriously my only complaint would be that at the water stop, they should have been on both side of the roads - the pushing and josseling would have been lessened. It's a minor complaint and it was something that as far as I could see, everyone was aware of and didn't get angry about.

I got a Large jersey at the end and I would hope someone would swap it for a medium. PM if you're interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Aquals wrote: »
    Well done to everyone in the marathon today! You're all fantastic! Congratulations from me and my sister (some of you might recognise us)!/QUOTE] Ah nuts I am too tired to do all this stuff. We saw the two ladies with the signs and it gave us all a great boost. Giggles all the way around. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

griffin100 wrote: »

:) I know what you mean - it's a fine line to tread between feelng sorry for oneself and hitting the HTFU button :)

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

4 stars (good)
    2:58...110% down to the aid of pacing today, to TheRoadRunner and the others I say a big thank you for it. P.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

4 stars (good)
    Did approx 3.59, which is what I was aiming for. Most valuable advice was to cool the jets for the first 20 miles so I had enough left in the tank for the last few. Clonskeagh road was a grinder, it really took it out of me. Tired now, but content. Well done to everyone who got there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Well done everybody. Enjoyed cheering everybody on as you headed up Nassau St.
    My 11 day old son slept to the beat of the drums but my 3 year old daughter never stopped shouting well done lads - although afterwards she said it wasn't a real marathon because I wasn't running.
    Enjoy the post marathon glow.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

RayCun wrote: »
    Yeah, seemed to be loads of supporters out today,more than last year

It just seems that way when you're over a minute a mile faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Out on the N11 around the 22 mile mark cheering ye all on, looked like a tougher day than the last couple of years, but the crowds looked great. Took some video clips, quality not great but some might be interested, couldn't believe the amount of runners with the pacers, well done all, enjoy the celebrations.

3:00 ish?

3:15

3:30

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Please, can anyone help me with shin splints?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭7mile

4 stars (good)
    happygoose wrote: »
    2:58...110% down to the aid of pacing today, to TheRoadRunner and the others I say a big thank you for it. P. I have to give a big thank you to 3 hr pacers today. Was fading badly with about 3 miles to go but got great encourgement from them. Finnished in 2.58.57. Delighted. First time under 3.icon7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭RoverHogan

4 stars (good)
    robinph wrote: »
    Now get ye to the pub. :D

Already had a pint in MCGrattans. Home now for a shower, (only 10 mins away).

I was chatting to a fella in the pub - finished in 3:00,00 - even showed me his garmin. Sickener! :eek:
    Can only hope chip time might have been 1 sec faster. +he hadn't gone sub 3 before.

I think that was me! Chip time of 2:59:58! Delighted! Second marathon after a 3:09:28 5 weeks ago in berlin. Can't stop smiling/crying!
    A huge thank you to all the pacers, ye are legends! Well done to all today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

RoverHogan wrote: »
    I think that was me! Chip time of 2:59:58! Delighted! Second marathon after a 3:09:28 5 weeks ago in berlin. Can't stop smiling/crying!
    A huge thank you to all the pacers, ye are legends! Well done to all today!

Glad to hear that. Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

3 stars (average)
    Had a great day today. Found it hard to pace evenly. Mile markers were a little all over the shop early on and we were a minute up at the half way stage.

Was very hard to run evenly and felt a little bad as we were on for 2.58.30 around 24 miles, did slow down a bit to try and let lads see they were still on but it was a little akward. I found it hard not to push on when people were starting to kick with a mile or 2 to go.

I'm just hoping we didn't feck anybodies race on them :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Had a great day today. Found it hard to pace evenly. Mile markers were a little all over the shop early on and we were a minute up at the half way stage.

Was very hard to run evenly and felt a little bad as we were on for 2.58.30 around 24 miles, did slow down a bit to try and let lads see they were still on but it was a little akward. I found it hard not to push on when people were starting to kick with a mile or 2 to go.

Mile markers were all out the place alright :rolleyes: Hope u got the ur comrades in arms to showboat coming up to the finish line :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭RoverHogan

4 stars (good)

I ran with ye up until the UCD flyover, then tweaked the groin. My last 4 miles were a struggle, had to take small steps, but finished in 2:59:58. I thought 3 was gone, but you must have slowed comin along trinity. I saw the green balloons ahead and it gave me the HTFU to increase the pace! Wouldn't have been anywhere close without the great job ye did throughout the race. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mgadget

4 stars (good)
    The crowds are my absolute heroes :-) Finished it because of them last year and signed up because of them this year.
    Was on course for a 3:30 but my hip started biting at the halfway mark and by mile 21 it felt like a knife was stuck in there. Walked 3 miles 'til I figured a way of running without tensing the muscle and then gingerly babystepped the last 2 for a sub 4:00 - still a PB :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

3 stars (average)
    mfdc wrote: »
    3:59:33! Just under my goal of 4hrs, so delighted with that. After the half I was entertaining notions of 3:45, but after 2km following the pacers my heart rate was through the roof so I backed off to LSR pace.

Couldn't get the HR down at all, even at LSR pace it was 10-15bpm higher than normal. Dunno what the cause of that could be... taper too long and I lost fitness maybe? I followed the Hal Higdon novice plan to the letter. Anyway it's academic now, even though the HR was high I managed to hold it together and get in under the original goal so hooray!

The 4hr pacers caught me just before the 9 mile marker, and I stuck with them the rest of the way around. Well, I say "them" but in reality it was just Niall (dunno your boards name) - didn't see the other two lads at all until about mile 23 :) Huge huge thanks to him, the last 10 miles I found really difficult and had I been left to listen to the gremlins whispering in my ear instead of having someone's heels to chase and the occasional chat + encouragement I may well have "just for a little bit" stopped to walk around mile 22, and we all know how that ends.

Main lesson learned today - ditch the drinks belt. The last chunk of the race I felt like I was gonna be sick, and I only put 2+2 together just before the end that the belt was causing my stomach to hurt, once I took it off and carried it I started feeling better immediately.
    That was me (Niall) delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

4 stars (good)
    +1 to the sub 3 pacers. I was with you and slightly ahead for 2/3s of the race then the body started to have problems. Nothing to do with the pacing which was great. Felt sorry for you guys with the big balloons. There should be a contingency plan for a windy day as it must be horrendous trying to drag them around.

+1 too on the crowds. Absolutely brilliant support.

The 10k splits on the official results are a bit off. Say 5 mins! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

Finished 5:08:32, was just aiming to finish so very happy I got the medal. Thanks to the pacers, heroes! Crowd was great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 wo

I spent hours cheering ye on today, and really enjoyed it, especially the banter with those who were up for it. For those who asked if they could swap legs with me I would've if I could've.....
    I think ye are all amazing. Great buzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Today was my first marathon. 3 weeks ago I sprained my ankle so it was touch and go but I felt fine the last 2 or 3 days so I decided to take part.

Started out and felt really strong up to the end of O'Connell Street and then my ankle started getting sore. It got worse and worse and I could barely put weight on it. I didn't want to drop out though so I walked the next 24 miles which was extremely tough. I finished in 6.29. I knew I had so much more in me but my ankle just couldn't take it.

Once thing I found really tough was that from about 13/14 miles all the water stations were either packed up or were out of water. It was really disheartening. I am completely drained now and can barely move because I put every single thing I had into just finishing. With the water stations gone I felt like everyone else had given up on me and the people near me which was so hard when I was struggling already.

Advertisement