Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

HG is quite fixable, especially if the engine hasn't been cooked :)
    Keep it topped up in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Collected it from the garage. Ended up having the entire front hub and driveshaft replaced in the end. :( Damage was too severe to get away with just replacing the bearing. Parts were priced with Mitsubishi - €912 + VAT! :eek:

Got lucky and the mechanic sourced the entire lot from a lad in Louth (I think) who was breaking an '06 that had been rear ended. Saved nearly €800 compared to the new parts + labour price. Still not cheap, but a heck of a lot better than it could have been.

Now to get 2 tyres for it ... if someone decides they actually want the business! :mad: Have rung 4 seperate places for prices over the last 2 days, and not one of them has bothered ringing back with a price. Must be nice to be in a position where you're able to throw away the sale of 2 20" tyres along with the necessary tracking (and any return business later) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

mrs crilly wrote: »
    I may get onto the garage in the morning so :( is this fixable or is head gasket new engine time? There is 106k on the clock.

They can certainly be repaired.

You can use a combination of sniff test, cooling system pressure test and leak down test to determine if a head gasket has failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Fiona

Thanks lads. I dont like it when one of my babies is sick :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Confess to not knowing what this sniff test is :o

So, here's some smelly info unless I'm the only bellend in the village :)

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=404432

Link to handy kit on ebay too.

edit: Hope the link doesn't send johnos1984 over the edge ...

• Advertisement

E39MSport wrote: »

The 1955diesel poster in that link worded for Rover :)

E39MSport wrote: »

This is the one we use in work:
    http://www.blockchek.com/

The reason you use the combination of tests is the sniff tests will only show a leak between the cylinder and a coolant channel. The other tests will point you towards a leak between cylinders or an external leak.

Loosing coolant is far from a good sign of HG failure as cylinder pressure is much higher then the cooling system pressure so if there is a leak between the two, the cylinder pressure will pressurise the cooling system, rather then the coolant going the other way, leading to over heating, boiling overflowing expansion bottle...especially at higher rpm/load.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Fitted new speakers today,badly needed

What ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The VAGCOM/ELM327 cable arrived yesterday, will be spending the weekend experimenting with FiatECUScan. Happy days, I can finally turn the airbag light off!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I can't afford the £STG700+ to get proper ones so I just re-ordered the Eibach springs for the time being. I just want to lower the car, not to a felt-spec level but to a desirable-looking level.

I have Eibach Pros and they are cracking springs for street use (this is the 3rd set of springs I've had on the car...long story). Pretty comfortable but they get stiffer the harder you push them without being too harsh and crashy. It's a good compromise if you're not taking it on the track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

stimpson wrote: »
    I have Eibach Pros and they are cracking springs for street use (this is the 3rd set of springs I've had on the car...long story). Pretty comfortable but they get stiffer the harder you push them without being too harsh and crashy. It's a good compromise if you're not taking it on the track.

What car do you drive?

So what you're saying is that when you're driving normally, they feel good and when you drive hard, they stiffen and improve the handling?

Doubt I'll be taking my car to any track :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

So now theres 3 of us waiting to fit a pro kit to our cars :p

So now theres 3 of us waiting to fit a pro kit to our cars :p

I'm still undecided! I got confirmation from someone else that I would have no rubbing issues with H&Rs :mad:

What car do you drive?

So what you're saying is that when you're driving normally, they feel good and when you drive hard, they stiffen and improve the handling?

Doubt I'll be taking my car to any track :pac:

I've got an old shape CRX.

The Eibach Pro's are progressively wound, so don't have a uniform spring rate. The looser winds compress first and are softer and this gives you a reasonable level of comfort when driving normally (the original springs I got with the rex would shake the fillings out of your teeth). When you're pushing it hard and these have already been compressed the tighter winds come in to play and are firmer which reduces body roll.

Also the drop lowers your centre of gravity which will also improve handling. The drop on them isn't savage, but as I say, they are for street use. In any case a big drop on a CRX causes camber issues and a camber correction kit is big money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I've got an old shape CRX.

The Eibach Pro's are progressively wound, so don't have a uniform spring rate. The looser winds compress first and are softer and this gives you a reasonable level of comfort when driving normally (the original springs I got with the rex would shake the fillings out of your teeth). When you're pushing it hard and these have already been compressed the tighter winds come in to play and are firmer which reduces body roll.

Also the drop lowers your centre of gravity which will also improve handling. The drop on them isn't savage, but as I say, they are for street use. In any case a big drop on a CRX causes camber issues and a camber correction kit is big money.

I got the camber kit for my DC2, about €500ish notes but it was worth every penny.

I was running with TEIN springs in my car for a bit, I really liked them but on the track I was left for dead in the corners by cars with coilovers. If it's aesthetics you're after then spings all the way, if it's a performance thing then forget about the springs :)

Gary ITR wrote: »
    I got the camber kit for my DC2, about €500ish notes but it was worth every penny.

I was running with TEIN springs in my car for a bit, I really liked them but on the track I was left for dead in the corners by cars with coilovers. If it's aesthetics you're after then spings all the way, if it's a performance thing then forget about the springs :)

:eek: €500 is twice what I paid for the springs.

I'm running them with fully adjustable Koni's which does make a difference, but I was running the previous springs with the Koni's too and they performed just as well but they were stupidly firm. I'm getting to the age where I like my creature comforts. If its not for the track then the Eibachs on stock shocks are going to be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

vectra wrote: »
    What ones?

These, pretty impressed with them.Anything would of been better than the stock ones though

:eek: €500 is twice what I paid for the springs.

I'm running them with fully adjustable Koni's which does make a difference, but I was running the previous springs with the Koni's too and they performed just as well but they were stupidly firm. I'm getting to the age where I like my creature comforts. If its not for the track then the Eibachs on stock shocks are going to be fine.

That's €500 for the camber kit, my springs were cheaper, around €260. The Camber kit improved the handling of my car far more than the springs. It was front camber arms, lower extended ball joints and rear camber arms. That price was fitted too, I bought them before I was selling them myself so no discount :(

That's €500 for the camber kit, my springs were cheaper, around €260. The Camber kit improved the handling of my car far more than the springs. It was front camber arms, lower extended ball joints and rear camber arms. That price was fitted too, I bought them before I was selling them myself so no discount :(

How low did you go? The drop on the CRX is about an inch so I don't have major camber issues. I'm sure it was worth it but I could think if many other ways to spend €500.

dar83 wrote: »
    Possibly 4. :D

Maybe a special on lowering spring fitting would be good for business:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

How much would you charge? Eh eh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Maybe a special on lowering spring fitting would be good for business:D

Was thinking of installing Joms on the Boring but was also going to sort the play in the wishbones while was at it, ... sniff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

These, pretty impressed with them.Anything would of been better than the stock ones though

I actually like JBL stuff myself.
    Might look at a set of components for the Toledo

How low did you go? The drop on the CRX is about an inch so I don't have major camber issues. I'm sure it was worth it but I could think if many other ways to spend €500.

One of my balljoints needed replacing so I did the lot, the plan has always been that this car will be out to the track so that was my thinking behind it tbh. Sure I did the camber kit before I did the springs and I only popped the springs on because I had a free afternoon and I got them for nothing.

I'm after a set of Race Spec coilovers so as soon as funds allow they'll be going in

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

They're budget speakers no doubt but it's a vast improvement,my cabin is so small anyway so they're adequate.The real test will be with the roof down and she's screaming at 8000rpm :D

LOL you're gas, when your son was younger and had things like remote control cars did he ever get a go of them?

I can just picture a typical conversation in your house

Son: I'm off out to meet some friends, back at 10
    Vectra: Better take the bus I'm polishing the Toledo today

:pac:

One of my balljoints needed replacing so I did the lot

That's the way I do things. Easier to justify to the missus. Exhaust is blowing dear...this Tanabe Gold Medallion looks like good value. And a decat pipe is only another 50. I need new tyres but it's nearly as cheap to get some deep dish rims while I'm at it. Shock gone...must buy Koni's.

That reminds me - NCT is due soon...might be time to get that Jackson Racing Supercharger I always wanted. :)

That's the way I do things. Easier to justify to the missus. Exhaust is blowing dear...this Tanabe Gold Medallion looks like good value. And a decat pipe is only another 50. I need new tyres but it's nearly as cheap to get some deep dish rims while I'm at it. Shock gone...must buy Koni's.

That reminds me - NCT is due soon...might be time to get that Jackson Racing Supercharger I always wanted. :)

LOL... I damaged my backbox so I sent a text to Mick in Urban, 'back box is damaged, order me in a Buddyclub pro spec catback and decat'. Nevermind the missus I justify it to myself like that.

What engine is currently in the Rex?

What engine is currently in the Rex?

Just the stock B16A. I'm not sure I like where this is going :)

• Advertisement

Just the stock B16A. I'm not sure I like where this is going :)

RX7?

Gary - I know we kind of had a deal regarding the springs but I'll be getting them done locally. Will get the braided brake lines and pads from you when I have the cash ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement