Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Waved goodbye to it as it dissappeared into the night on the back of a flat-bed :( Be lucky if I see it again within a week. Just my luck that a wheel bearing would collapse 150 miles from home, on a week where all local motorfactors and garages are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Is that the 4x4?

Sadly, yes. Have since learned that its not an uncommon problem with them (and she does have 100k on the clock now), but the recovery truck driver told me he'd only ever seen 2 other cases like ours. Typically they start making noises months in advance of failure, but ours just collapsed completly out of the blue with no warning at all. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Maybe the ol snowdriftin' sped up the process :pac:
    Or the 20" alloys :)

Anythings possible (though unlikely in the case of the drifting - I hope!). :o The 20's certainly could have had an impact on speeding up the failure, though the rolling diameter is within 5 mm of standard, and the 20's actually feel lighter than the 17's ... must weigh them actually as now I'm curious!

I'm thinking it was more along the lines of "no good deed goes unpunished". :(

Pulled 2 totally stranded cars and a van out of a field a few hours prior to the expiry of the bearing. :rolleyes: Try to be the good/helpful citizen, and end up stranded myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

i bought mine :) 02 seat leon lowered on fk coilovers full powerflow exaust sysyem :) back 3 windows tinted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Today I patted my car. Last night I was waiting for my gf to get out of work at 12.30pm and was in the car, lights on and listening to the radio for about 25 minutes. Bad idea.

GF got in to the car, I went to start it, nothing. Engine turned over once and stopped. Tried again, same thing with the dash lights fading. Shite. Fighting the urge to curse the car (Alfas take offence very easily), I was about to ask the nearest taxi for a jump when the GF suggested waiting for a minute and trying it again. So I waited for a bit, turned off the lights, pressed the clutch, prayed for a few more amps and turned the key.

Never did an engine starting sound so good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

Never got a new pedel box of the scrap yard because they wanted 120 quid for it :pac: so I drove out to a welder I know with a bar holding the pedel box up

picture.php?albumid=1949&pictureid=11568

It didn't feel good at all driving it but it held up well :p I welded it all up had to add a bit of 6mm steel to the pedal box to have it all sound as a bit of it was eroded. Tbh its still a botch job but the clutch is much more easier to press. I'll miss my left leg work outs now :cool: I'll replace it all after tax is paid :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Mine is just about to hit 245,000 miles. Doesn't feel like I've done 16,000 miles in it since I bought it, but when I think about it, the only additional service costs were a 50euro airflow meter, that's pretty good going for the old girl!

Noticed today that when I drive (semi) carefully I can get 30 mpg. Fantastic! Less than 2L in the tank now though, even the 7 mile journey home could be interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Confab wrote: »
    Noticed today that when I drive (semi) carefully I can get 30 mpg. Fantastic! Less than 2L in the tank now though, even the 7 mile journey home could be interesting...

I'm pretty sure I got closer to 35mpg in my 1.6 156, and my dad got the same in his 2.0 156, and that wasn't by making an effort to save fuel.

Eoin wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I got closer to 35mpg in my 1.6 156, and my dad got the same in his 2.0 156, and that wasn't by making an effort to save fuel.

Probably, but I'm using it for 7 mile urban hops to and from work. Were you using yours on the motorway at all?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Probably, but I'm using it for 7 mile urban hops to and from work. Were you using yours on the motorway at all?

For a while; I moved house a couple of times when I had it, so my commute changed. Maybe those figures were for when I was on the motorway/national roads a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Today I broke the 300-mile-out-of-a-full-tank marker...... Currently sitting at 310 miles with under a quarter tank left.

Best I've ever got is 330 miles. This is only the second time I broke the 300 mile barrier, well chuffed! Wasn't going easy either, but that did include a round trip to Wexford and alot of messing about in between.

Could probably see near 400 miles on a proper long spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Today I patted my car. Last night I was waiting for my gf to get out of work at 12.30pm and was in the car, lights on and listening to the radio for about 25 minutes. Bad idea.

GF got in to the car, I went to start it, nothing. Engine turned over once and stopped. Tried again, same thing with the dash lights fading. Shite. Fighting the urge to curse the car (Alfas take offence very easily), I was about to ask the nearest taxi for a jump when the GF suggested waiting for a minute and trying it again. So I waited for a bit, turned off the lights, pressed the clutch, prayed for a few more amps and turned the key.

Never did an engine starting sound so good :D

Isn't it great fun owning an Alfa! I mean it get's a bit boring after a while if the car is always reliable, bit of praying never hurt anyone!:D:p

Dropped back the '11 plate Focus rental. Managed 5.6l/100km over 650km which wasn't bad (50.44mpg in old money). Can't say I was overly impressed by the car overall though - did the job, but if I was in the market I seriously doubt I'd buy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

388857_10151116250345176_805400175_22562415_1954079300_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

To keep busy today I washed...

Image1750.jpg
    Image1752.jpg
    Image1755.jpg

But which one is bigger... :cool:

Don't start on the foglights, had to make sure they worked! :D

The Alfa wheel was black when I started, must never have been cleaned. Ever :(

It gives me an excuse to go over it again though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Could just be the photo but the front tyre on the alfa looks a little flat

Could just be the photo but the front tyre on the alfa looks a little flat

Nope you're spot on there's a very slow puncture on that tyre. The wheel I cleaned has a much worse puncture (2 days holding air before going flat)

Tyres for it ain't cheap! :eek:

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »
    Nope you're spot on there's a very slow puncture on that tyre. The wheel I cleaned has a much worse puncture (2 days holding air before going flat)

Tyres for it ain't cheap! :eek:

Damn straight the tyres ain't cheap, looking back through the history of Dads 166 I think in the six years we had it it went through 22 tyres... :eek:

166man wrote: »
    Damn straight the tyres ain't cheap, looking back through the history of Dads 166 I think in the six years we had it it went through 22 tyres... :eek:

:eek:

The rear bushes are shot, not surprised tbh! The 525 is the same, all rubbers perished. Heavy cars eh... :(

I found nankangs that were 60 a shot for me (205/40R17) are 76 for the Alfa... Don't want those mind you :)

Tyres for the 525 are 100 a shot :mad: thank fúck I have 3 sets of wheels for it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The rear bushes are shot, not surprised tbh! The 525 is the same, all rubbers perished. Heavy cars eh... :(

I found nankangs that were 60 a shot for me (205/40R17) are 76 for the Alfa... Don't want those mind you :)

Tyres for the 525 are 100 a shot :mad: thank fúck I have 3 sets of wheels for it :pac:

Well... on the bright side, they're half the price of my tyres :eek::(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Refitted the 7Kg roof mount screen to the Esty (properly so it didnt kill someone).

Also threw on new front pads. Piece of p1ss to work on.

Still not firing up nicely in cold weather though - think I'm down on compression...

Yep 22 tyres is what it was, mind you that included the odd puncture but mostly it was just wear, and these were good tyres, none of that chinese crap! You have 3 sets of wheels for the 525? Nice :p

How you planning on sorting out the damage to the back of the 166 dgt?:eek:

166man wrote: »
    Yep 22 tyres is what it was, mind you that included the odd puncture but mostly it was just wear, and these were good tyres, none of that chinese crap! You have 3 sets of wheels for the 525? Nice :p

How you planning on sorting out the damage to the back of the 166 dgt?:eek:

Yep 3 sets, one of nankangs (on the car) one of cheap crap and one of Pirellis :D

As for the side of the Alfa, in due time... ;)

over.png%7CCBR%7C100

martin_tools_008.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Yep 3 sets, one of nankangs (on the car) one of cheap crap and one of Pirellis :D

As for the side of the Alfa, in due time... ;)

over.png%7CCBR%7C100

martin_tools_008.JPG

Them be a nice collection of tools. Jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Got the 225's fitted...had an arguement with the youngfella fitting them, told me the alloys wouldn't take them...he shook my hand afterwards and admitted he was wrong!

Rear handling noticeably different (and better) since.:D

Heres a sad reality:

Went to straighten my ladyfriends car (yaris) it went backwards into a tree. So we got out the dozer and dollies. New boot and bumper. Wouldn't fit at first but when straightened and pulled out it closes very well. Even sealed properly. Door gaps were restored to what they were originally. However there was a big gap between the boot and c pillar, still didn't leak. We couldn't finish the job because we need something like this to reach in an inaccessible place above the tail light:

RE97XC04.png

As time is limited for her nct she has to go to a reputable panel beater. €€€s

It's really annoying that we did the bulk of the work and all it needs is a small push out with the tool above :mad:

You can never have enough tools ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Heres a sad reality:

Went to straighten my ladyfriends car (yaris) it went backwards into a tree. So we got out the dozer and dollies. New boot and bumper. Wouldn't fit at first but when straightened and pulled out it closes very well. Even sealed properly. Door gaps were restored to what they were originally. However there was a big gap between the boot and c pillar, still didn't leak. We couldn't finish the job because we need something like this to reach in an inaccessible place above the tail light:

RE97XC04.png

As time is limited for her nct she has to go to a reputable panel beater. €€€s

It's really annoying that we did the bulk of the work and all it needs is a small push out with the tool above :mad:

You can never have enough tools ;)

My sentiments exactly. I like tools, I do. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement