Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

dgt wrote: »
    ...I really need a new camera........

You can sing that one again :D

Maybe we could all chip in to help you get one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

renofan wrote: »
    You can sing that one again :D

Maybe we could all chip in to help you get one!

When I get a new phone, I'll use the E5 for photos instead. Much better camera :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I think i know that vRS Vectra.It hardly had its engine rebuilt about 2 years ago??

No Idea but any info you could provide would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

vectra wrote: »
    No Idea but any info you could provide would be great.

I'll have a snoop around for ya.Great mpg with those possible.Hope your son has better luck with his than mine

The house is cold. Time to keep warm outside :pac:

Back to that balljiont...
    Image2569_zps12560a7c.jpg

Just why :mad:

New un'
    Image2570_zps66df3ac4.jpg

Look! The proper tool and a 35mm socket to do the damn job properly!!! :D
    Image2571_zps49ad1712.jpg

Stake here
    Image2572_zps3e22c3b2.jpg

Get the heat shield (you did remember the heatshield, yes?) that you haven't mangled and gently tap it in place with a suitable punch :)
    Image2573_zpsb86eceda.jpg

For some reason Peugeot made the discs either too small or the hub too big. Point is they are a pig to take off! Clean up and copper grease is a help for the next time :)
    Image2574_zps13bf3661.jpg

That was never taken off...
    Image2575_zps9f315139.jpg

All back together!
    Image2576_zps25709da6.jpg

Just need drop links and track rod ends and perfect :)

The other side is being a stubborn c*nt, hence why I'm here on this and letting the Plusgas do its job! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hope your son has better luck with his than mine

What issues had you ?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

vectra wrote: »
    What issues had you ?? :confused:

I had the clutch go, multiple central locking issues, alarm, the horn went,split pipes all over the shop,power steering pump,coils, window wipers,electric windows,alternator.Pretty sure there was one or two other things but it was nearly 5 years ago I bought it.

My mate had one also aswell and his engine blew up on the M7. :pac: That wasn't his you bought btw, he didn't have the OEM wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Rough idle can often be caused by carbon baked onto piston rings. It makes sense that the Terraclean can sort it :)

Well its worked on mine anyway, there is no rough idle anymore, one of the things I've been trying to resolve myself for years, so thats a huge plus, so much so I don't really care about an improvement in range, but will see if there is an improvement of course, I might get it done every year, or every 60k..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I'm planning on a yearly Terraclean myself while making it coincide with a 6-monthly service.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Got to cleaning up the wiring today. Had to cut off the original covers since the ecu is on the drivers side in the e30 and the wiring loom from an e36 won't reach across without changing the way the wires are arranged. Same with the data link connector but its the opposite way around.
    dsc0394a.jpg

Hid it behind the normal 318 wiring cover. Took a full roll of insulating tape to cover.
    dsc0399xz.jpg

So just the mechanical parts to finish now and get the immobolizor removed from the ECU. I lost the chip like an idiot but now I get to map the engine for the M50 manifold as well :)

Getting the exhaust welded temporary during the week. I must also switch the drive shaft since mine is too long with the M52. The engine sits back further.

Comparison
    dsc0400gp.jpg

Should be pretty much done next weekend when I get home from college.

Also had my first real set back with the exhaust. Someone welded the manifold to the center section so I spend about 3 hours seperating them today. Hammer and bolster and some anger finally got the job done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

today I washed the octavias and my astra. last week I order two new wheel covers for the structured wheels on the front of my astra. the previous owner completly round the front covers with scratches. the two on the back had no marks what so ever so I just ordered two for the front. Easy enough to fit just remove the wheel nuts and replace the cover.
    Before
    image-1_zpsb2720b44.jpg

Wheel covers ordered in by the local opel dealer.
    image-1_zpsd37e9da3.jpg

After
    image-1_zps0a9ed8c7.jpg

image-1_zps56ef44b0.jpg

But I am delighted with them they make the van look so much cleaner and nicer the old ones used to really take away from. It was a simple job but had a big impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

if i buy an e36 318 will you put in a 328 engine into it please Jer? il give you €1,000!:D

if i buy an e36 318 will you put in a 328 engine into it please Jer? il give you €1,000!:D

E36 to E36 swap is fairly simple. I would help you if you wanted :D

You gotta take the loom, gearbox, driveshaft and engine out right? :(
    My friend changed his 318 to a 323 and blew the head gasket two weeks later! :rolleyes:

How much of a job is it to fit the facelift upgraded interior centre console with the climate control?
    That's a great offer man thank you but you'd have to do nearly everything and instruct me on the rest!

You gotta take the loom, gearbox, driveshaft and engine out right? :(
    My friend changed his 318 to a 323 and blew the head gasket two weeks later! :rolleyes:

How much of a job is it to fit the facelift upgraded interior centre console with the climate control?
    That's a great offer man thank you but you'd have to do nearly everything and instruct me on the rest!

Loom is one connector and a few screws/bolts to take out the ECU. Engine is 2 bolts on the engine mounts and 1 for the ground depending on if you take the mounts out or leave them. Gearbox is 2 bolts to remove the mounts and the reverse switch connector. Then the clutch slave cylinder is 2 bolts. Center baring is 2 bolts and then the driveshaft pulls out. Then just colling system which is a few hose clamps and the air box which is another couple of hose clamps. I'm sure I'm letting some stuff out.

Climate control is harder to fit than an engine in my opinion. It would take about 2 days I'd say. You would need the parts fairly handy as well. If you did the climate control with and engine swap it would make life easier.

I still have to connect my air con to the system. I just wanted the upgraded look for a start.

Sounds easy enough reading it there :P
    How many hours to do the engine swap you reckon? theres a good few e36s around for parts id say but finding one with the upgraded interior is difficult!
    Have you a trolley lift?

Sounds easy enough reading it there :P
    How many hours to do the engine swap you reckon? theres a good few e36s around for parts id say but finding one with the upgraded interior is difficult!
    Have you a trolley lift?

Yeah it isn't bad really. Not since the whole loom comes out with the engine. The worst part is taking the front end off the e36 really. But it makes lifting the engine out way quicker.

What do you mean by trolley lift? Do you mean an engine hoist? I just used a loadall to take the engine out :eek:

The interior can be from any E36 except the compact. The rest are all the same as far as I know. Touring, coupe, sedan and convertible.

As for time I couldn't tell you. The E30 conversion will take me about about 3-4 days but there is some custom work involved in it. E36 will just be straight bolt in.

ill give you a bell so if i see a clean e36 about :D
    even if i could find a 3.0 m3 e36 :( i adore the look of the one that hammond had on 5k track car challenge in germany

ill give you a bell so if i see a clean e36 about :D
    even if i could find a 3.0 m3 e36 :( i adore the look of the one that hammond had on 5k track car challenge in germany

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42941 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Well, 1 good thing comes from being recently jobless.on the days im not out jobhunting, gives me a chance to get creative...
    So today i took the rocker cover off the car i have for parts and got out a couple of cans of primer and spray.
    My once dirty oily black and rusty cover has now become a clean sleek black with a bare red flake.just waiting for it to dry now and will give it a blast of laquer later.will upload pics asap

• Advertisement

JerCotter7 wrote: »

looks ruff ruff ruff! theres a sweet black one in cork doing the rounds. passed it on forge hill twice! also a lovely 325ci facelift e46 in black

looks ruff ruff ruff! theres a sweet black one in cork doing the rounds. passed it on forge hill twice! also a lovely 325ci facelift e46 in black

With a good detail that car would come out looking sweet. It's in cork so it would be worth going to have a look? Would just have to get rid of the stupid m3 mirros and a polish and it would be sweet. And the twisty skirts but some people like them :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Today I fixed the air intake hose, it kept popping off so I put two jubilee clips together (that was a pain!) and clamped it on. Also, filled the tank and reset the trip counter so I can see what mpg I'm getting. :p

hate those skirts :P if i was to buy a 318 for a conversion man itd have to be almost perfect other than the engine, not in terms of paint and tidying but the choice of alloys, lip kit and interior centre console :)
    i had a look on that forum though, there seems to be a few nice cars on it every so often!

i d love this car http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4306513
    id wire the indicators to become sidelights, lower it, slap an msport front bumper on it and i think it would look amazing :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

hate those skirts :P if i was to buy a 318 for a conversion man itd have to be almost perfect other than the engine, not in terms of paint and tidying but the choice of alloys, lip kit and interior centre console :)
    i had a look on that forum though, there seems to be a few nice cars on it every so often!

id wire the indicators to become sidelights, lower it, slap an msport front bumper on it and i think it would look amazing :)

Hehe, reg cover up fail...

I understand. :) I bought mine and made it perfect myself. I would never have found my car the way it is now anyway.

after putting so much money and time trying to find the parts for my astra to have it right for me i dont think i could do it again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Took mine for its nct this morning and she passed yay :)

Desperate times, desperate measures....

First, lighting of the fog dept
    Image2577_zps9a71ef1e.jpg

Looks relatively well but needs refinement....

Yesterdays trip saw yet another balljoint and a roof tile :P
    Image2578_zps4b0a56de.jpg

Fuelled on a bag of chips and some quare piss that resembled monster, I stated to work...
    Image2579_zpse34ce285.jpg

Getting there...
    Image2580_zps69c6b61c.jpg

And after a while, all matched up relatively close, so I was happy!

Now, fitting the turbo....
    Image2581_zps45f80436.jpg

Not forgetting the spacers for the exhaust manifold
    Image2582_zps62bf4a5a.jpg

With the lack of room, these are a life saver!
    Image2583_zpsb4b1c61c.jpg

KKK pipe on the left, Garrett on the right....
    Image2584_zps4c614ea3.jpg

And rubber inlet pipe (this time reversed)
    Image2585_zps00e1452f.jpg

Just to clean up the inlet pipe now
    Image2586_zps612c67bd.jpg

Hmmmmm.... A sign of things to come?!
    Image2587_zps767f44d2.jpg

Now the high pressure feed was an absolute arse to thread in. Even with the pipe loosened at both ends
    Image2588_zps028862af.jpg

But I got it all refitted ;)
    Image2589_zps48f58a70.jpg

Still more to do, when this stupid rain stops!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Paid off my car loan in the Credit Union....yeeeeee buddy!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement