Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

Saturday, 4 bulbs and two tyres -

Yesterday, NCT - had been out of date for 12 months, Was expecting a return trip but passed no problems.

Today - met Garda checkpoint on way to work - first time in about year and half

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Got a reg cert for a car I bought last week. :)

"New car" is actually 5 months older than the one I still have, but engine's in significantly better condition.

Anyway, same model, same body style, even same colour. :D

"Old one" will be a donor. She has new brakes, new timing chain and clean interior. Also, a few more bits and pieces will be transferred. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

joujoujou wrote: »

"New car" is actually 5 months older than the one I still have, but engine's in significantly better condition.

"Old one" will be a donor. She has new brakes, new timing chain and clean interior. Also, a few more bits and pieces will be transferred. ;)

Cool, what car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

joujoujou wrote: »

what have you got ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Nothing really amazing - '00 corolla (actually Oct '99, but it appears only in EPC). :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

Small things..

Picked up some stainless steel hex head bolts and counter sunk washers (at Autosport international) to replace the crappy plastic coated Audi ones that hold on engine bay covers.

Also fitted an ITG performance filter (it's inside the airbox!)

Next up is a service with George and a remap.

before..

IMG_5772.jpg

After..

IMG_5865.jpg

IMG_5866.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

tossy, is that the same engine as the 225 TT?

tossy, is that the same engine as the 225 TT?

Identical Yes,same also as the Cupra R.The are all Ko4 twin cooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

ITG filters are a great piece of kit

ITG filters are a great piece of kit

The are quite nice alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

dsc0380g.jpg

Gonna be replaced by an M52

Something like this. (taken from google)
    IMG_2794.jpg

I can replace the second image with a link if anyone finds it too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

JerCotter7 wrote: »

Gonna be replaced by an M52

Something like this. (taken from google)

I can replace the second image with a link if anyone finds it too big.

25919677.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Hey you're taking my job of removing engines :P

Speaking of which, this I conveniently took out on Saturday as a precaution :pac:

Image2518_zps5658f700.jpg

But why?
    Image2519_zpse46a3b0d.jpg

Yep, the turbo :D
    Image2520_zps28b0346d.jpg

I found out it's a K14 :)

Comparing it to this K03 I pulled out of thin air...
    Image2521_zpsacc5aa1b.jpg

Hmmm..... ;)

Needs a better clean :)
    Image2522_zps71d5f5a4.jpg

More fun in due time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Much to gained by taking a turbo out and cleaning it? Mine has done 128k. Its a fixed vane KKK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Much to gained by taking a turbo out and cleaning it? Mine has done 128k. Its a fixed vane KKK.

It's replacing one that's knackered :)

With the amount of work and cost involved, you'd be better off getting your car Terracleaned.

Not only will that clean the turbo but also the inside of the engine and the whole exhaust system back as far as the exhaust tips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

tossy wrote: »

The are quite nice alright.
    The maxogen box is savage. Where did you get the filter?

Got it in the UK Gary,the maxogen looks the part but for a fast road car and oem look you can't beat a decent panel filter,it's more than up to what i will ask of it. :D

OSI wrote: »
    Do you know somewhere over there that does it MM?

Terraclean Ireland

They come to you, do the job there and then and that's it. It takes about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

rough price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

rough price?

id love to know exact price .

... i think it was 150 quid. ... but maybe mistaken.

Depends on engine size, also there's a boards discount from when they were on here.

I was quoted about 140 + VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Today I finally got round to replacing the broken heater control unit, turned out a bit of plastic in the back of it had somehow snapped and made it impossible to control anything! I now can finally control things!

First up, centre console out...
    D4DC1760-2465-43F4-B83C-1C1D2F9F2484-1603-0000016024705540.jpg

New unit in...
    99D9E042-D54C-41CB-9525-C0C50E30413D-1603-00000160366995B7.jpg

Here's the blasted bit that had broken...
    307C1DC9-AA0F-4860-BC21-6DE131FB4FB5-1603-000001602BE090BC.jpg

Next up I took out the glovebox to change the cabin filter, only to discover the previous owner had no filter in there at all, no wonder I was getting so much condensation!

And finally a cosmetic enhancement!

Old dials...
    646ADBDD-6C4C-4E11-A46C-33DD9A1C929E-1603-0000015FFF5CFBDA.jpg

Dash out...
    C540883E-9A34-4D8C-A083-492F021E8474-1603-000001600EC84066.jpg

New bulbs vs old...
    9EC410AE-7DBC-4D4D-A806-1643E72194D7-1603-00000160080B3683.jpg

Aaaand new dials, I like it!...
    AB45EA3C-9E71-44F4-AD80-B56ECDA5DAF4-1603-0000016019168167.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Took advantage of the bit of dry we got today so took the replacement splash guard off and filed/sanded down all the sharp edges. Hopefully will prevent any cut wires, pipes or fingers. Don't think there's anything near it at risk, but with my luck I'd slice my fingers. Forgot to take pics before she was down off the blocks so will take some next time its off for painting. ;)

Then turned my attention to the rear and took off part of the towbar.

stump.jpg

Considered leaving it in the boot but then I'd have absolutely no point on the rear to attach a rope too (and herself would probably kill me :o ) so put it back but re-mounted it on the inner pair of holes so the ball is now 40mm closer to the bumper but I've a feeling I might still have enough room for a hitch to fit it without hitting the bumper. Grass too wet to be reversing up to actually check using the caravan hitch, but with no plans to do any towing in the near future it can stay where it is for now.

While I was under the rear I tried seeing if there was anywhere else less exposed to fit the towbar socket, but I'm struggling to see where I could fit it. :( Edge of the bumper is only about 10mm from the towbar cross-section, which is also about 10mm to the boot floor, and the exhaust on the passenger side rules that out. Really don't want to go plonking it on the back of the bumper :eek:

space1.jpg

space2.jpg

Wish I had the skills to do something like on the Discovery where it's hidden behind a panel in the center of the bumper ...

lan_rover_back_mid.jpg

So if anyone has suggestions I'm all ears ;)

And finally for today, removed another mangled towbar socket :o

dead.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Terraclean Ireland

They come to you, do the job there and then and that's it. It takes about an hour.

Getting this done on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

tossy wrote: »
    Identical Yes,same also as the Cupra R.The are all Ko4 twin cooled.

KO4 Turbo and 5 Cylinders

you-aint-doing-it-right-dog.gif

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Getting this done on Monday.

I'm looking for all reviews of this so if you wouldn't mind, will ya let us know if you notice a difference?

I'm not talking placebo effect, I want results DAMMIT!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Well I'm doing the NCT on sunday morning, so will have the emissions results and this guy is coming Monday would be good if I could hook it up to something after he's finished, maybe he might have a device himself, its a dirty 160,000 mile 2.0TDI which has never been cleaned up the gicker so I'm looking/hoping to notice an improvement.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Well I'm doing the NCT on sunday morning, so will have the emmisions results and this guy is coming Monday would be good if I could hook it up to something after he's finished, maybe he might have a device himself, its a dirty 160,000 mile 2.0TDI which has never been cleaned up the gicker so I'm looking/hoping to notice an improvement.

I'm not sure but I *think* they may have a portable machine that measures the hydrocarbons etc. before and after.

A few lads on THIS thread got it done and would be able to tell you exactly what happens. Go to the end on the thread to find replies from those who got it done.

I'm just back from a run and I'm too lazy to do it myself :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Engine is ready to be fitted. Just need to get E36 6 cylinder engine mounts since the engine from a 7 series wont work with an E30.
    dsc0382y.jpg
    dsc0385h.jpg

Engine bay is also ready and waiting. Should't take too long to put it in hopefully.
    dsc0386f.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement