Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

More spring cleaning :)

First, windows. Mark on the lip annoys me!
    Image2649_zps2ed81c52.jpg

The left hand side windows are damaged, most likely from being too near a hedge cutter. Cleaned as best I could for now, I'll change the glass someday
    Image2650_zps0d020361.jpg

Next, dirty door cards!
    Image2651_zps2a67eb83.jpg

Followed by stalks...
    Image2652_zps125a1020.jpg

Then the centre console
    Image2653_zps34505e87.jpg

Then the door trim...
    Image2654_zps06d0fed8.jpg

Door seams
    Image2655_zps7561d1a2.jpg

Door jams
    Image2656_zps85a4a7d0.jpg

Much better! Need a vac for the carpets though...

I was in the mood for cleaning, so I moved onto the hape :)
    Image2657_zps09953c6f.jpg
    Image2658_zpsfd3cef89.jpg

GET OUT!!!! :D
    Image2659_zps719ecb25.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

some man for messing dgt! love seeing an update in here from you :pac:

i much more mundanely fitted my (second hand) double din head unit at last, to replace the sony single din that (imo) just looked out of place.

10y2bh3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Got the gearbox oil, coolant and brake fluid changed in the Astra, don't notice any difference but it's good to know its all fresh stuff in there :) with the terraclean coming up and another mini service afterwards it should be ready for many miles....for its new owner:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

ripped out the Dension Gateway five..was never happy the way it worked and crap microphone quality!

In with the OEM VW bluetooth module and OEM Media module all in their factory locations! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

09022013026.jpg

who ever worked before on this audi a6 , really messed up , replaced timing belt, without replacing crankshaft oil seal, which badly leaked (failed nct over bad oil leak) , and didnt change the rest of belts and rollers, and overtightened small oil pan, which was cracked , and then glued, and used wrong oil pan sealant . hate those garages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

vectra wrote: »
    Spent another 7 hours with the DA on vRS number 2 today.
    Almost there now.
    Turning out good.

Getting there.

857585_611313932229090_396358724_o.jpg

860651_611312155562601_459715307_o.jpg

858077_611312098895940_1434535212_o.jpg

857012_611312622229221_2145265874_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

WOW :eek: Excellent job vectra!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

changed rear pads on Avensis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

damo86 wrote: »
    ripped out the Dension Gateway five..was never happy the way it worked and crap microphone quality!

In with the OEM VW bluetooth module and OEM Media module all in their factory locations! :-)

Actually you may change microphone settings through radio unit, i found on my wifes car , that it was at "-6" possition. ;) .. but that is Gateway Pro BT .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Mar4ix wrote: »

Actually you may change microphone settings through radio unit, i found on my wifes car , that it was at "-6" possition. ;) .. but that is Gateway Pro BT .

Cheers. .had it up at the +10 position. .still crap. The difference in the oem unit is spot on, crystal clear!

• Advertisement

After seeing those results...I'm buying a DA. Well done vectra. Although when I see any of this shinyness at a meet I'll be even more impressed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

@ vectra: Great pics, the VRS looks mint :)

You on briskoda.net?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

vectra wrote: »
    Getting there.

vectra, I've some spare vRS parts in the shed that you're welcome to.There's not much, but I'm sure there's some touch up paint for chips and stuff.Exact match for your son's car! PM me your address and I'll try go find them and get them your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

After seeing those results...I'm buying a DA. Well done vectra. Although when I see any of this shinyness at a meet I'll be even more impressed :p

You can borrow mine if you like but would need to supply pads & polish yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Col200sx wrote: »
    @ vectra: Great pics, the VRS looks mint :)

You on briskoda.net?

Thanks, She came up well.

I sure am on Briski.

Look up vectra1 ;)
    vectra, I've some spare vRS parts in the shed that you're welcome to.There's not much, but I'm sure there's some touch up paint for chips and stuff.Exact match for your son's car! PM me your address and I'll try go find them and get them your way.

Cheers bud.

PM on it's way :cool:

Redisle wrote: »
    You can borrow mine if you like but would need to supply pads & polish yourself.

Thanks man I might take you up on that :) do you have the kestrel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Thanks man I might take you up on that :) do you have the kestrel?

Yup. Got it for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

promised myself i wouldn't modify the glanza. doing my best not to.

Definitely going to fit my genuine Nardi TRD steering wheel though :)

2lnwad2.jpg
    j8islh.jpg
    5ov0r8.jpg

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Nothing too exciting over the weekend. I noticed a constant condensation in the cabin over the past few months, so replaced the pollen filter. One was black, the new one was white!
    Also replaced the wipers!

photopls.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Gave my Golf Mk5 1.6fsi a bit of a service this weekend just passed.

Oil change with new new filter and sump plug. Castrol EDGE 5L 5W-30 C3 DPF Engine Oil - Replaces Standard Castrol Edge 5w-30. - Not the cheapest oil about but certainly one of the best. Should see me well for another 10k miles. (just incase anybody googles this, The engine oil capacity is 3.5 litres dead, not 4.7 litres as you'll find on some other retarded forums). This is awesome oil by the way - it superseeds what VW use for their long life services (castrol SLX), engine is running notably quieter and it gets to temperature a bit quicker.

New Air intake filter aswell, serious difference in colour! simple job :)

New Pollen Filter (went for the "premium" activated charcoal one for an extra pound) does wonders for de-fogging!

New set of wipers front and rear aswell.

I had just bought the car a couple months ago so i thought I'd give it a service as a preventitave measure. not too expensive either:

Front wipers: £20.52
    Rear wiper: £11.42
    Pollen/cabin filter: £6.54
    Air intake filter: £7.26
    Oil Filter: £6.72
    Sump Plug: £1.02
    Oil: £46.89 (should have gotten a 4 litre canister which is £31, engine oil capacity is 3.5litres, D'oh!)
    Total: £100.37 for a full long life service.

On top of that it got two new front spring coils and wheel bearings 2 months ago (pesky speedbumps)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Testing a new digital tv tuner...a bit of panic at the end, was trying to get rid of the sound/picture lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Replaced the air intake pipe with a new one I got for quite cheap from a UK dealer. My previous fix didn't last so I thought it best to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Ah yes, you fix a fault you find a fault. No wonder people always think garages are dreaming up jobs.
    When I did my T-belt a couple of weeks ago I noticed my v-belt tensioner pulley sounded like a shopping trolly.
    I ordered a kit from MR auto, first time to use them 64 quid.
    DSC01722_zps6f1878b6.jpg

Same make as OE.
    DSC01723_zps02410695.jpg

So no trouble, a perfect fit.
    DSC01726_zps5952864d.jpg

DSC01729_zps2f722137.jpg
    DSC01731_zps547303e3.jpg
    Then I discovered my engine breather hose decided that "today is a good day to die"
    DSC01739_zpsc07fc270.jpg
    So just a macgyver job to bodge it for now(ever)
    DSC01738_zps46e0675e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That's another job I've to do, aux tensioner and maybe idler pulley too. It sounds like a pod racer when under load at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Replaced (autotragic) gearbox in the V70 T5 after the diff $hit itself out the side of the casing.
    Dodgy stop gap repair on the exhaust on same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

8469806779_db06985016_c.jpg

8469806885_c3c6ecf16a_c.jpg

I was working in the UK over the weekend and had the pleasure of shooting and chasing a new ST through the roads of Brecon Beacons National Park north of Swansea. Absolutely and hands down the best roads I've ever experienced, although I may have taken a couple of millimetres of thread off my rear tyres prematurely. I had to head over to London from there where it started snowing heavily on Sunday night before making a trip to Coventry then Daventry and then Northampton on Monday evening.

8469806947_70ed533663_c.jpg

8470900300_894868dfb0_c.jpg

Brimmed the car in Northampton before setting off for Reading that night, where upon arrival I kerbed a rear passenger side wheel on a traffic calming measure just off a roundabout. After a late start on Tuesday, I made an, um, spirited trip along the M4 and A40 back to Fishguard before getting back to Waterford on Tuesday evening. Stopped off somewhere in Wales to have the underside of the car touchless washed to get rid of any salt, snow etc. The entire trip from Northampton home was done on half a tank of filthy evil diesel :) Also passed the big 60,000 mile mark at some stage along the journey although I'm still shy of the 100,000KM mark for now. Big thanks to the Stena staff in Rosslare and Fishguard who couldn't have been more helpful getting my car onto the ship without smashing my splitters to pieces.

Have the car booked in to get both passenger side wheels refurbished by the only company I could find in the Republic that can retain the polished faces. I'll be sure to get before and after pictures before it goes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Oh drove a 540i e39 Six speed the other day considerinas as a replacement. Big letdown TBH. Open diff makes drifting no fun and the recirc ball steering is orrobil. Will try 530i manual and see if I like it better it'll be a bit slower sure but to be honest the 540 wasn't really all that amazing acceleration wise anyway.

Took advantage of the weather (not p1ssing rain), changed the oil, only used a Halfords oil filter, wasn't arsed getting a genuine one this time, her days are numbered with me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Same here. Oil change, 2 new tyres, hand wash. Good mornings work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

RoverJames wrote: »
    Took advantage of the weather (not p1ssing rain), changed the oil, only used a Halfords oil filter, wasn't arsed getting a genuine one this time, her days are numbered with me :)

Have you found a replacement yet :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement