Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Today I fit car seat covers to the Mrs' car. These ones were from Micksgarage when they were on sale.

20130202_113328_zpsc3990c02.jpg

20130202_113337_zpseed3ac4c.jpg

Rear leg room looks non-existent as I'd the seat pushed back.

Happy with the outcome. Cable ties and stanley knives should come standard with these, rather then crappy hooks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

They look pretty good for seat covers. I had them on my first car and could never get them to fit properly, using those crappy hooks supplied with them. Well today I'm gonna start sealing my rear wheel arches. I got some hammerite underseal. I was gonna go with shultz but I hear it's messy stuff and nobody got time for that :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Today I really improved the response and driving experience of my car! First, I adjusted the slack in the throttle cable, difference is unbelievable! You can see how much I adjusted it below:
    C3BC8392-FF96-48DA-85F3-A7E3F144CDA6-3119-00000420ACE25641_zpsa3ada5fd.jpg

Next up I sorted out the annoying slack in the clutch pedal before it started to engage.

Pedals before:
    A66A2008-3BE3-4A54-AF22-7ECFC5B1F36E-3119-0000041ED1C4D8D5_zps4fb1aaa2.jpg

Makeshift adjustment:
    F4D62004-2621-46E7-A3BC-1640220A6C4B-3119-0000041EDFF5A797_zps6e1dadf0.jpg

And the pedals after (hard to convey the difference in a photo):
    545165E5-FD96-4FCF-91E3-16C08EF69918-3119-0000041EDA3B30C5_zpsb12f1304.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Fitted new rear discs and pads to Octy No. 2
    Gave all wheels and tyres a clean as well.
    Feels and looks a lot better now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Changed the oil on the brother's Mk2 Octavia, first time I've done it the proper way. Surprisingly easy but putting up the stands was time consuming as we both wanted maximum safety. Ended up with two stands and a big jack, so happy enough going under the car.

I'm throwing out my Lidl jack, it's fcuking tiny compared to my bro's 2.25 tonne Halfrauds leviathan, which was MUCH better at jacking too. No wonder I was terrified getting under the Corsa. Also drove the Octavia around the car park, it's odd using a manual again, it felt numb compared to other manuals I've driven though. Nice driving position though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

More bits n bobs :)

First, much needed thermostat and flap
    Image2610_zps91d0d561.jpg

Car wouldn't warm up atall!!!

The reason for the flap...
    Image2611_zps4eea6210.jpg

No one had Vulcan red in a can, alas that blue will do for now untill we get a quarter litre of paint :)

Moving onto a more important job... My rad was leaking! So I changed it :)

Draining made easy
    Image2612_zps1731a445.jpg

You can tell this has never been out!
    Image2614_zps3b2cf48a.jpg

As above!
    Image2616_zps10c8dd82.jpg

Conveniently, here is a new relatively new radiator. Thank Meath roads and the power steering leak for making it brown...
    Image2615_zpsbf15667d.jpg

I had my eye on fitting the Xanti-cooler :cool: Piping is different...
    Image2617_zpsea74383d.jpg

To accommodate the different design
    Image2618_zps4fc2d5f3.jpg

Alas, it's too short... So I'm using another 'cooler that I roughly cleaned out. Looking to fit a thicker FMIC in the future!

Refitting is simple, this pipe can be a right arse though
    Image2619_zpsfaa3b1d8.jpg

And the new thermo
    Image2620_zpse34cbc04.jpg

Bled out, running like a clock. Delighted :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Washed and polished the silver bullet for tomorrows meet....no time to wax it though :(

Washed and polished the silver bullet for tomorrows meet....no time to wax it though :(

Ah feck, I knew I meant to do something else!!! :(

Does anyone else have pet names for their daily's? I call mine 'the sliver surfer' or 'sufferer' depending on the mood :D. In other news I got one wheel arch treated with krust and undersealed. I'm steeping the arch liner in detergent at the moment will fit tomorrow. Hopefully I will tackle the other side then too :).

Hal1 wrote: »
    Does anyone else have pet names for their daily's?

Indeed we sort of do with certain cars!

My old red Punto 60 was called Todd due to a sticker with "Todd" on the back window. I miss Todd :)

The silver 406 was known as "The Hape" and the red one is called "Aul Laim" pronounced in the most bogger accent one can imagine :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Molly is my Clio :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Fitted a clio brake servo to the E30 today. E30 one just wouldn't fit unless I made it a tad more square.

dsc0027lo.jpg

Only have a final picture but I had to thread the bar to take the E30 connector and make an extension to the other side if that makes any sense.

Just waiting on an EWS delete now and an E36 rad to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Not a car but. Me and my brother spent about 5 hours stripping sign writing off my dads van. It turned out well the van looks better without the sign writing. It was a tedious enough job boring and repetitive. In saying all that it was a lovely day outside and it's nice to be in the fresh air. The van just needs a good clean its in fairly good condition considering its over 7 years old. Sorry for the poor quality photos it was getting dark and the van is about a foot to high to go into our garage :(. After photos below.

57fdc82e-35b1-46a8-a810-a839099d0984_zps2b9bc6ba.jpg

image-1_zps9f31305a.jpg

image-1_zps22815e18.jpg

eb25e251-a56e-4a02-b4e0-091d46a4525e_zps36fb97c4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It would have been a lot easier if you were using a heat gun ;)

It would have been a lot easier if you were using a heat gun ;)

I was using a heat gun. It did help but the shear amount of sign writing on the van it was covered in it. And it was kind of 2 colour if you like so every words had to or more seperate pieces to take of. It was grand to get done though the van looks way better without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I'm in the same boat as you, though I might try yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Some nuisance cyclist clipped the bonnect where I was parked back in December.....anyways the cunt legged it, I pulled out the DA for the first time in many months, anyway I wasn't 5 mins when it started to rain...a 60% improvement after a clay and a few runs of the DA.

BEFORE:

img0333large.jpg

img1803large.jpg

img1801large.jpg

AFTER:

img1806large.jpg

img1808larget.jpg

img1809large.jpg

img1810large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Not my car but had to do some work on a friends almera, whoever owned it before wired in a stereo with taped connections and had just ripped it out when selling the car. So I put in a new ISO header and now it will work perfectly with any stereo.

wiring.jpeg

test fitted before the correct cage went in, all works though.
    installed2.jpg

Finally got the car driving today.

DSC_0034.jpg

Now just need to get the exhaust done and put it back together. I need to get bigger and wider wheels as well. Spins the wheels in 4th gear. Didn't try 5th. I'd presume it does very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    Finally got the car driving today.

Now just need to get the exhaust done and put it back together. I need to get bigger and wider wheels as well. Spins the wheels in 4th gear. Didn't try 5th. I'd presume it does very easily.

nice project, could be more info, from where you go to where ?

• Advertisement

Mar4ix wrote: »
    nice project, could be more info, from where you go to where ?

Where did I drive it is it? Just around my house. Not in a fit state to go much further.

Free on a Friday... I'll do an interior change!

Old back seats and bench
    Image2628_zpse93a6220.jpg

2 nuts and a good yank sees the bench out
    Image2629_zps630ac2cf.jpg

Treasure!!!!!

Next, the back seats. 4 x 13mm bolts per seat
    Image2630_zps6769f619.jpg

And while I'm at it, out with the parcel shelf too
    Image2631_zpsdabd4159.jpg

I want my storage compartment, see...
    Image2632_zps20ce1968.jpg

A pet hate of mine: backwards buckle. I'm f*cked I'm going to start changing belts!
    Image2633_zps094687d3.jpg

Much better ;)
    Image2634_zps78295111.jpg

All back installed!
    Image2635_zps19051bad.jpg

This looks and feels soooo wrong :pac:
    Image2636_zps8a1f4052.jpg

The finished article :)
    Image2637_zpsddd3a18e.jpg

Bah, I'll give em a good clean in due time!

Onto the fronts.... Below....

For the front seats, you need to remove the plastic trim for access to the seatbelt. T20 and pull it straight up
    Image2638_zps078b5f3c.jpg

For access to this
    Image2639_zps4027f21c.jpg

4 mounting bolts and it's up :) beware these plugs: I do recommend that the battery is disconnected first to prevent the airbag light coming on. Alas, my car has it on already so I took the lazy option :P
    Image2640_zps555e8cd7.jpg

And clean when out!
    Image2641_zps953da5b6.jpg

The old new seats have lumbar support and tilt, something the newer old seats didn't have. Also smelled funny....
    Image2642_zpsc4417a9a.jpg

Onto the speakers.... Bleuch!
    Image2643_zpscf304d13.jpg

Better
    Image2644_zpsd3800359.jpg

The reason for a meatier sound!
    Image2645_zps95de688a.jpg

Finally, sorting out my franken-exhaust :pac:
    Image2646_zps324bdfc7.jpg
    Image2647_zps5c0346d0.jpg

Naughty naughty pikey fix.... :rolleyes:
    Image2648_zps5c53729b.jpg

Getting there bit by bit!

Nice days work there Dgt. Just hit the seats with a wet/dry vac and job done :).

Nice days work there Dgt. Just hit the seats with a wet/dry vac and job done :).

Cheers! The longest part was the parcel shelf, as where the seatbelt bolts into the car have to be removed, all 3 of them! The centre belt seized as per norm :eek:

The difference is noticeable in the car already, the strong odour is dying away :) plus I have the lumbar support and adjustable headrest once more :)

I can't put the proper exhaust on until I have another engine in.... The one currently in the car is burning a worrying amount of oil :(

So far so good then, pity about the engine burning oil. But thank chirst you have a spare one. I'd love the space the keep a donor car :D.

So far so good then, pity about the engine burning oil. But thank chirst you have a spare one. I'd love the space the keep a donor car :D.

All these cars can be a nuisance at times! Like when rearranging to get a car to the garage door, everything along the road :eek:

My aim is to have this car like my old Fiesta and Todd were: showroom condition :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Today its the e38s turn , put some new bolts in for the abs sensors , with a bit of anti sieze on them so no more problems.

The went and cleaned + copper greased the bonnet latch and door restrictors as they were getting a little clunky.

Tip - spray grease goes everywhere.

image_113.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Spent another 7 hours with the DA on vRS number 2 today.
    Almost there now.
    Turning out good.

• Advertisement

Today I removed the glue residue of my dads van which was left after I removed the sign writing last week. My dad got some solution that you spray on to remove the glue and it work well. I then gave it a good clean so it looks well now. I then gave the two octavia's a clean. I couldn't clean my astra today as my dad needed it for the day it's just so dirty on the outside:(. It's clean on the inside at least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement