Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

Great game. Pity it wasn't a draw. I didn't think Cork deserved to lose. It will hopefully bring on Cork an awful lot as I had expected Tipp to win by more with their experience but we could have even won it. Like others have said there were too many easy scores for Tipp and with a few more matches under the belt things will build nicely for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Fantastic game in fairness.

In fairness, Tipp looked like they would have won comfortably but for the red card, Cork missed pretty much no point attempt in the first half and were probably never going to keep up that level of accuracy which had kept it very close. As soon as Tipp started to break even at puck out time the Cork backs were under fierce pressure.

How Cadogan wasn't moved from centre back when Maher lit him up from start to finish is a bit baffling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Christ almighty - after a game like that you come in with a cheap shot like that- classy fella:rolleyes:

Go on Twitter and you'll see your fellow Cork fans coming up with there excuses

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

lala88 wrote: »
    Go on Twitter and you'll see your fellow Cork fans coming up with there excuses

I would prefer if you would just go away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

keane2097 wrote: »
    Fantastic game in fairness.

In fairness, Tipp looked like they would have won comfortably but for the red card, Cork missed pretty much no point attempt in the first half and were probably never going to keep up that level of accuracy which had kept it very close. As soon as Tipp started to break even at puck out time the Cork backs were under fierce pressure.

How Cadogan wasn't moved from centre back when Maher lit him up from start to finish is a bit baffling.

They could have done more moving around alright. The Tip full back line were under alot of pressure aswell but we did not take full advantage of it. Not enough ball into the corners when we were on top.
    There are certainly alot of positives to ba taken from nearly beating the 2nd best team in Ireland. I think this Cork team will improve and learn the more games they play this year. The qualifiers will be very interesting.

• Advertisement

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I would prefer if you would just go away.

Or what? You'll go on strike?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

^^Where is this guy from?

Think it's time we all used the ignore button once again.

Always one.

Anyway back to the game. I am quietly pleased with the Cork performance. We are still very young and we lack physical strength up front, but we have young team so that is to be expected.

We made some silly mistakes, but with new team that was expected. We scored 24 points which is fine return from this team.

On the sending off I would disagree with people saying Tipp would have won by more. I actually think sending off cost Cork few points as they seemed unable and were unsure who to mark and Tipp got some easy scores.

Well done to Tipp they about deserved it. Another epic Cork Tipp Clash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Or what? You'll go on strike?

Wit and originality are not traits you hold.

Wit and originality are not traits you hold.

Striking is normally Cork's answer to getting rid of people they dont want is it not? I suppose after today Jimmy Barry's not up to it now

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Lala88 banned for a month for continually ignoring a mod instruction and deliberately taking the thread off topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Well done Tipp, fair play to you, epic game nothing between the two sides in fairness, hopefully Cork will learn from this and come back strong, a work on progress in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Striking is normally Cork's answer to getting rid of people they dont want is it not? I suppose after today Jimmy Barry's not up to it now

Given the levels of pessimism in Cork surrounding the future of their team last year I think they're delighted with the job JBM has done thus far. A narrow defeat against Tipp brings no shame, and in my eyes they've frog leaped Dublin as a potential contender this year. Be very interesting to see what happens if they meet in the qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kilnamanagh

Great game although as a Tipp fan it was a nerving ending! Think that game will stand to a lot of the Cork team, Cork never lay dormant for too long in senior hurling. JBM seems to be doing a pretty solid job, hope the qualifiers go well for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just in the door from the pairc.

Plan B. Didn't have one - simples. We bombed balls down on a half forward line that were being cleaned out and didn't seem to have another avenue of approach. With the extra man in defence this should have been more that possible and would have won us the match.

Some great individual performances tho and we were very unlucky in the end. Few goal chances went astray and cian mccarthys wide in the dying minutes could have made all the difference.

Great display after the league final demolition and we'll have more days out before september.

Congrats to tipp. We'll see ye again;)

Special mention must go to the pairc ui chaoimh stewards who once again showed how bad they are at their jobs. There was chaos down around my area with people being sent to the wrong seats and wrong seating blocks. A fair few people just gave up and sat on the steps.

Given the levels of pessimism in Cork surrounding the future of their team last year I think they're delighted with the job JBM has done thus far. A narrow defeat against Tipp brings no shame, and in my eyes they've frog leaped Dublin as a potential contender this year. Be very interesting to see what happens if they meet in the qualifiers.

I don't mind a defeat provided Cork were competitive and had potential to win the game. There would be nothing worse than a demolition job done by Tipp, like what Kilkenny did to Cork in the league. This is still a positive eventhough Cork lost, they still have something to work with. There will a cracker of a Munster final in store now and best of luck to Waterford and Tipperary, I couldn't call it but like today there will be nothing in it. A point or two of a difference I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

I was impressed with cork today. Not much class or skill but a lot of heart and committment. Will trouble a lot of teams. Could make it to the semis.

liammur wrote: »
    I was impressed with cork today. Not much class or skill but a lot of heart and committment. Will trouble a lot of teams. Could make it to the semis.

Really?

Ah come on did you see Paudie o Sullivan his stick work was top class along with some other Cork hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 corkery

Was at game today and good display by Cork but yet again they fail to close off a tight championship match. My biggest disappointment was at the display of the sideline and I am usually one of JBM's biggest fans. Here are a few of my humble observations.

Naughton is a left half forward only and not a right, keep him on the left. His biggest asset is winning the ball, soloing at speed down the wing and over the bar off his left. When on the right he always turns into trouble when trying to lay off the ball.

Apart from a bright start Cronin was terrible and I was surprised to see him come back on at the second half. As the game progressed he seemed to get less and less confident with every ball that came his way. His best asset is winning ball in air and Tipp had the measure of him from the 20th minute to finish.

Why keep persisting with dropping the puck outs down on top of Cronin when he was losing every ball coming his way. Especially when we had the extra man we should have gone with a short puck out and then bypass our half forward line with a long ball into our full forward line who were all playing well. Think Cusack was a big loss today for this reason, he would have one with a few shirt puck outs .

Correct decision not to go with Gardner and Sean Og today but felt Gardner would have offered something today in final 10 mins in the half back line and move Egan up instead of Cronin.

Feel free to comment or disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

What time is the qualifier draw on? Cork v Dublin would be a very interesting game for the neutral if thats how it pans out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

deisedude wrote: »
    What time is the qualifier draw on? Cork v Dublin would be a very interesting game for the neutral if thats how it pans out

8.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

Some of the scores, especially in the first half, were top class! Pat horgan, Paudie Sull, Pa Cronin, Conor Lehane all had some unbelievable points and moments of skill that you wouldn't see in any game!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 corkery

Qualifier home to Offaly. Good draw should handle them easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideboard

as a Tipp man, that's not what I saw yesterday. It was great to see Cork hurling at the level they demonstrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

sideboard wrote: »
    as a Tipp man, that's not what I saw yesterday. It was great to see Cork hurling at the level they demonstrated.

The more teams that get up to or near KK the better. I can see cork get to the semil, but they are a little short on class.

Delighted with the draw. At home to Offaly should see a reasonably comfortable win. In recent years they have always given us a good game but anything less than a 5 or 6 point win would be disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Cadogan wont be available for Offaly match, only the footballers that weekend

At least there are plenty of options on the bench to cover him.
    Should be 2 handy enough wins that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

I think Gardiner would be a better option to bring into the half back line than Sean Og. Gardiner could easlily slot into wing or center back.
    Maybe William Egan would slot into center with Gardiner coming in on the wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

croker1 wrote: »
    I think Gardiner would be a better option to bring into the half back line than Sean Og. Gardiner could easlily slot into wing or center back.
    Maybe William Egan would slot into center with Gardiner coming in on the wing.

I think Gardiner should have come on in 2nd half on Sunday.

Although I think going through back door will help Cork. Extra games cant be bad thing. Once we win them of course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement