Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Carthy303

teednab-el wrote: »
    Cork will need there asses kicked if they loose this one. We badly need a win over a less and convincing Kerry team that struggled against Tipperary.

Forget about the Tipp game, Kerry always raise their game for Cork.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The Tip game was really only a training match in truth. Kerry looked poor enough but they got over the line in first gear.
    Cork really should be winning this one and I think we are capable of winning by a few points aswell. Surely we won't give them a big lead in the first half and spend the game playing catch up. Hopefully we'll get ahead, pull away and stay there!!

Wishful thinking but I'm a Pool fan.....next year is our year! And hopefully this is Corks year to put in a good 70 min performance and beat Kerry, well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Carthy303 wrote: »

Strange thought but

Cork footballers remind me of France in rugby. Always underperform when they face the old enemy England but could hammer every other team even the best teams. Cork can do the same but struggle against Kerry most times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Cork V Kerry in munster. Anything is liable to happen and usually does. I'd say forget everything we have seen up to this year so far from both sides.

A tight match but hopefully home advantage will play a part. With the long ball option as well that they developed of late hopefully they can vary things a bit if things start getting bogged down.

I'm off down the pairc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Carthy303 wrote: »
    True - Kerry have a knack of grinding out results against Cork in recent years despite their form not being great.

That said, with Sheahan missing it's hard to see past Cork this weekend, looking forward to heading to it :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A beautiful sunny morning in Cork. Leaving now for some lubrication before the game.
    I reckon we'll get the bones of 30,000 down the páirc today.
    Feeling confident of a good win..... strange even saying that...
    Love Championship days!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Well you have this is in the bag now. 1 minute left of ET, 5 points in front.

Kerry were lacking some spirit, and Sheehan but a very good performance from Cork. Based on this ye'll be there towards the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    A beautiful sunny morning in Cork. Leaving now for some lubrication before the game.
    I reckon we'll get the bones of 30,000 down the páirc today.
    Feeling confident of a good win..... strange even saying that...
    Love Championship days!!!!!!!!
    Not even close to 30,000 there.Poor kerry support.Not a great game but got over it,Clare next.

yomtea98 wrote: »
    Not even close to 30,000 there.Poor kerry support.Not a great game but got over it,Clare next.

True...I forgot Kerry don't travel!

Oh yeah....get in there:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭lukin

As a Corkman I'm happy we won but I wouldn't be too sure about Kerry not making it through the qualifiers.
    If they get handy fixtures like in 2009 they could get to Croker and we all know how well they play there.
    Donnacha O Connor showed great leadership again today and Goulding made a difference when he came on.

• Advertisement

Just home from the match. A very solid and consistent display by us. Even when Kerry looked like they were getting it back into the game at the start of the second half we regrouped quickly and closed down the threat.

The full back line did well on any of the goal chances Kerry made. Canty was solid and the Donaghy high ball tactic was dealt with consistently. Cadagan did well too but really needs to watch his discipline. It's going to come back to bite him in the arse eventually.

Nick Murphy didn't do too badly in FF. Won clean ball a couple of times, pity it didnt turn into a goal, but he looked caught for pace when Kerry broke out from their full back line. Goulding very good when he came on and Kerrigan was on fire too. I think all our forwards scored from play bar Nick Murphy?

The negative tho. It would have been a lot closer only for Kerrys lack of a free taker. JOC is going to have some thinking to do if he cant get Sheehan back from injury before the qualifiers. In a scrappy game it could prove crucial.

Overall, very pleased. :)

SeaFields wrote: »
    Just home from the match. A very solid and consistent display by us. Even when Kerry looked like they were getting it back into the game at the start of the second half we regrouped quickly and closed down the threat.

The full back line did well on any of the goal chances Kerry made. Canty was solid and the Donaghy high ball tactic was dealt with consistently. Cadagan did well too but really needs to watch his discipline. It's going to come back to bite him in the arse eventually.

Nick Murphy didn't do too badly in FF. Won clean ball a couple of times, pity it didnt turn into a goal, but he looked caught for pace when Kerry broke out from their full back line. Goulding very good when he came on and Kerrigan was on fire too. I think all our forwards scored from play bar Nick Murphy?

The negative tho. It would have been a lot closer only for Kerrys lack of a free taker. JOC is going to have some thinking to do if he cant get Sheehan back from injury before the qualifiers. In a scrappy game it could prove crucial.

Overall, very pleased. :)

Happy with that. Cork needed a win badly over Kerry since 2009 and they got it. Surprised of how poor Kerry were, I thought there would only be a kick of a ball between the both sides. Still though Kerry will be around and if they meet us again I don't think we would beat them.

teednab-el wrote: »
    Happy with that. Cork needed a win badly over Kerry since 2009 and they got it. Surprised of how poor Kerry were, I thought there would only be a kick of a ball between the both sides. Still though Kerry will be around and if they meet us again I don't think we would beat them.

While we were good today there is still massive room for improvement. We had a lot of unforced errors and wayward passing that you wouldnt get away with in August or September (and to be fair, you shuldnt get away with anytime against the kingdom.)

We'll wait to see if they get through the qualifiers before worrying about beating them again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Anytime we beat those <snip> is a good win.

Don't see anyone beating that Cork team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

No need for name calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Well this Kerryman was at the game but only because I didn't have to travel :pac:

Well done on the win lads and best of luck in the final - Kerry weren't there yesterday from what I can see - Cork never looked like losing it tbh.

True, Kerry missed Sheahan and his frees could have made it a tighter contest but tbqh the way Cork powered on in the closing section was very impressive - not many teams would stick with them in that form imo

As good as they were yesterday if they played like that against dublin they would be ate.

I wouldnt be so confident.

As good as they were yesterday if they played like that against dublin they would be ate.

Lads I don't rate that Dublin side at all.

Would they now? The Dubs are that good are they?

The last time Cork played Dublin was the semi...2 years ago I think...Cork played for the last 10 to 15mins - and won!

That Cork team have nothing to fear from Dublin, make no mistake about it.

• Advertisement

Would they now? The Dubs are that good are they?

The last time Cork played Dublin was the semi...2 years ago I think...Cork played for the last 10 to 15mins - and won!

That Cork team have nothing to fear from Dublin, make no mistake about it.
    If they play as well as they can yes they have nothing to fear but if they played like yeterday they would be beat would you not agree?

If they play as well as they can yes they have nothing to fear but if they played like yeterday they would be beat would you not agree?

No.

You seem to think the dubs always play well. I've seen enough crap performances from them to realise that Cork could well beat them with a performance the same as yesterdays - would you not agree?

If both teams played aswell as they can Cork would win,but if they played Dublin at their best at the same standard as yesterday beating a fair kerry team, Dublin would win.Dublin do not always play well but when they do they are as good as Cork

If both teams played aswell as they can Cork would win,but if they played Dublin at their best at the same standard as yesterday beating a fair kerry team, Dublin would win.Dublin do not always play well but when they do they are as good as Cork

If Cork play Dublin this year.....I expect Cork to win - plain and simple.

Your so right..... I still think Dublin were so lucky to win last years All Ireland, I'm noT having a pop at Dublin but it was more like Kerry bottling it and all of a sudden, I have seen things in papers saying that Dublin will steam roll everyone in 2012. Continue that and Dublin are in for a major fall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Kerry with Brian Sheehan back and a bit of tough love through the qualifiers will leave both the boyos from Cork and Dublin licking their wounds and ruing what might have been. It is ten years ago this summer that I witnessed history and saw Kerry play Cork and hammer the daylights out of them in Croke Park by 15 points. Since then the sides have met a dozen or so times and Cork can only ever beat Kerry in Pairc ui Chaoimh and Kerry have defeated them there before also most lately in 2010. Cork won the All-Ireland in 2010 but they were beaten by Kerry that year.

Cork will not beat Kerry again this year and they'd want to hope some other team might beat Kerry because if the red and white lays before the men from the Kingdom in Croke Park there will only ever be one outcome and it will not be pretty if you are from Cork. Kerry have now nicely disappeared off peoples radar just like in 2009 when we snuck in and mugged Cork when they thought it was all over. A dodgy refereeing decision in 2011 cost us another All-Ireland, are we bothered? We are from Kerry we will always be there or thereabouts, the fact that Dublin and Cork both won their All-Ireland's by 1 points says alot of their teams. Kerry on the other hand will be Kerry so beware the wounded beast, Corks victory will prove Pyrrhic wheras a Kerry win would have set the stage for complacency and ultimate failure. Cork may have won the 1st battle but they and Dublin will ultimately lose the war.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I agree Cork are a far superior team to Dublin and Kerry more lost the All-Ireland last year than Dublin won it. If Kerry are defeated by another county, Cork will win the All-Ireland, if Cork meets Kerry... well it will be another cracker!

I would not be as sure as you but I hope your right.

Stinicker wrote: »
    I agree Cork are a far superior team to Dublin and Kerry more lost the All-Ireland last year than Dublin won it. If Kerry are defeated by another county, Cork will win the All-Ireland, if Cork meets Kerry... well it will be another cracker!
    A cracker that Cork will win of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

It was crazy the way the RTE pundits were writing off Kerry last Sunday. Will they ever learn ? I remember a few years ago Kevin McStay doing the same thing after Kerry were beaten, his exact words being "Kerry are in a very bad place now". They were far from finished then, and they're far from finished now.

If Kerry stay in it until August, no matter how they struggle or scrape through the qualifiers, they will be very very difficult to beat and I don't think Conor Counihan would be relishing meeting them at QF, SF or Final stage.

Cork, Dublin & Kerry still the 3 best teams in Ireland. I expect the AI champions to come from those 3, with Kildare and Tyrone the only ones with an outside chance. Mayo may surprise one of the above teams in the QF or SF again, but history suggests that they simply can't do it two games in a row.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement