Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Brolly is only a bol
    ox

Infraction given. You cannot abuse GAA players officials or pundits on this forum, it's against the forum charter.

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Carthy303

Left Croke Park in a state of depression Sunday. One of the worst performances I've seen from a Cork team ever. It was a game that was there for the taking in the first 20 mins and Mayos full back line was there for the taking. Quirkes kickouts were brutal yet again. When will the man learn? I personally think its time Ken O' Halloran got his chance. Mark Collins got his today and couldnt take it. He seemed to be afraid. Alan O' Connor being substituted was a ridiculous decision I thought. He won more ball, both dirty and clean, than Walsh did yet he was the man to make way. Fiachra Lynch is quite simply not up to inter-county standard. Donncha O' Connor was starved of posession but tried his utmost regardless. Kerrigan was tired and just seemed to let his head drop and almost gave up. We seemed to revert to the lateral handpassing and totally lacked any imagination. We were second to everything in the 2nd half. Mayo showed much more hunger and desire and should have been out of sight only for some poor shooting and dropping balls short to Quirke. The injuries to key players certainly caught up with us. Back to the drawing board for Counihan and his selectors. Hopefully a few minor changes are made to the composition of the panel and the starting 15 and we come back fighting next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

I was at the soccer in the Aviva yesterday so only got to see the last 25 minutes of the game or so. From what I saw in that time Mayo were well deserving winners and Cork just seemed to have no Ideas or plan in the 2nd half.

While yesterday wasn't a good day for Cork this team have been a very good team no matter what some pundits and GAA fans think. In the last 18 months they have won the last 3 national titles,2 national leagues and an All Ireland,a great achievement by any standards yet on this forum and by some so called experts Cork are a poor team? There is an anti-Cork stance among a number of pundits who's analysis of Cork football is simply laughable and their bitter hatred of Cork is exposed.

Fair play to the Mayo fans who I met in Heuston station yesterday evening,a very sporting bunch of fans and I wish them all the best for the semi final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭big toenails

teednab-el wrote: »
    I hope cork don't play all their cards tomorrow. They should beat Mayo handy enough if they play the way they can, but they will need a few surprises up their sleeve if they are to beat Kerry in Croke Park.

I'm delighted you lost now after reading that post. haha.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Easy to say after the event - you must be very knowledgable:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

There is next year and a fully fit team to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Read my post again.
    I hope cork don't play all their cards tomorrow. They should beat Mayo handy enough if they play the way they can, but they will need a few surprises up their sleeve if they are to beat Kerry in Croke Park.

The bookies, pundits and 95% of GAA fans in Ireland thought that Cork would win easy. Thats why its been quite a shock to the system. We lost because we were poor all over the pitch and we were missing 3 of our top class forwards. Mayo took advantage of this and fair play to them they beat us fairly comprehensively...I can acknowledge that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Am. . . . . .ha ha ha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭TopOfTheRight

The question has to be asked lads is there no better forwards in the county than Fiachra Lynch and Mark Collins?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The question has to be asked lads is there no better forwards in the county than Fiachra Lynch and Mark Collins?

I was impressed with Fiachra for the early parts of the game. He ran at his man - got him booked I think -and a free after that, but then the supply of ball dried up and his lack of experience probably kicked in aswell. Given the way Cork played - after the first 15mins, it's easy to say he was no good, but neither were any of the Cork forwards either really, which is fairly sad. Pierce O'Neill - fairly non existent. Goold - one great goal chance and nothing else. It's easy to say the new guys aren't up to it but alot of Cork players were not up to it yesterday - I would like both of them to get some serious game time in the league and then make my mind up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Serious question lads, when was the last year Cork had no senior team in the semis of the football or hurling?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Rebel Fan

flahavaj wrote: »
    Serious question lads, when was the last year Cork had no senior team in the semis of the football or hurling?

2002 im fairly sure, 03,04,05,06, hurling finals,07 football final, 08 hurling and football semis, 09 football final, 10 football final, not bad in fairness

Rebel Fan wrote: »
    2002 im fairly sure, 03,04,05,06, hurling finals,07 football final, 08 hurling and football semis, 09 football final, 10 football final, not bad in fairness

Well we played Kerry in the 2002 semi final and got slaughtered, how could I forget.

Id say it was 2001 that we didnt have either team in those stages of the championship. The Cork hurlers were beaten by Limerick by a point in Munster and Galway beat Cork in the football qualifiers.

Well we played Kerry in the 2002 semi final and got slaughtered, how could I forget.

Id say it was 2001 that we didnt have either team in. The hurlers were beaten by Limerick by a point in Munster and Galway beat Cork in the football qualifiers.

Ya you're right there, I had put that in the dustbin of my mind, was on the Hill that day, bloody awful!!! Wouldn't happen now though

Ya you're right there, I had put that in the dustbin of my mind, was on the Hill that day, bloody awful!!! Wouldn't happen now though

I was in the cusack in 2002 semi final. It was sick to watch, having so much expectations of Cork for that match. It was the worst thing Kerry did though as they didnt learn much from that game and it showed against Armagh in the final.

You might as well throw in the 2010 hurling semi as well for good measure :D

Anyone know the score in the minor match? Is it on any radio station?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Cork minors getting some beating against Dublin.

1-8 to 0-0 half time

Indie. wrote: »
    Cork minors getting some beating against Dublin.

1-8 to 0-0 half time

oh dear...please no. Well I saw the minors play in the Munster final and by god I thought they were very poor. No surprises then I suppose.

Live commentary on the game for anyone interested:

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/gaa/42815/

• Advertisement

Final Score:

Dublin 1-11
    Cork 1-03

Disastrous weekend for Cork football

Final Score:

Dublin 1-11
    Cork 1-03

Well the minors were simply not good enough to go any further so i'm happy in that sense.

Final Score:

Dublin 1-11
    Cork 1-03

That's a fair beating alright - although having seen them I'm not exactly surprised in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Carthy303

Didn't expect the minors to win but to lose in the manner they did is very disappointing!

It was not all bad news today! I tuned into TG4 to watch the Ladies All Ireland minor football final between Cork and Dublin this afternoon and what a brilliant game of football it turned out to be with Cork victorious on a scoreline of 5-15 to 4-11. Well done to the Ladies and their management team.

Cork v Limerick in the Under 21 hurling final on Wednesday night in the Gaelic Grounds at 7 30pm and live on TG4. A close game I reckon here but hopefully the young lads will win and give a much needed boost to hurling in the county.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

dartbhoy wrote: »
    It was not all bad news today! I tuned into TG4 to watch the Ladies All Ireland minor football final between Cork and Dublin this afternoon and what a brilliant game of football it turned out to be with Cork victorious on a scoreline of 5-15 to 4-11. Well done to the Ladies and their management team.

Great victory for the team and their management.

Cork senior camogie playing their semi final v Wexford on the 13th of August, senior footballers could be out that weekend or the following weekend, depending on the draw

Cork v Limerick in the Under 21 hurling final on Wednesday night in the Gaelic Grounds at 7 30pm and live on TG4. A close game I reckon here but hopefully the young lads will win and give a much needed boost to hurling in the county.

A win that is badly needed for Cork hurling in general.

Was hoping to go to that one as it has the makings of a cracker.

• Advertisement

That was some game of hurling. A pity to lose out but sin spórt.
    I thought Cahalane showed what he was capable of - and I think he's a better footballer.
    Egan was solid, some great point scoring by several players but Walsh's 8 points from play were savage altogether. His won in injury time to force ET was un a class of its own.
    Plenty of goal chances but only one goal, that decided it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement