Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/player-hip-ops-proving-costly-for-county-boards-257043.html

The Cork response is not suprising,like when a politician is asked a diffcult question,No Comment.
    You would expect in light of diarmuid duggan ,that cahalane,jamie sullivan and kelly would be looked after.
    I wonder what the story would be with dual cork minor and potential senior mark o connor of douglas.A hip operation.He is a cork player,i hope he is looked after.

Diarmuid Duggan ,every player club or county in cork owes that man huge grattuide for telling he story with regards cork.

Any player whether its training,mgrath cup,etc,as long as he wears the cork jersey ,irrespective,how long he is there,if injured in the line of duty ,a county like cork should and are more than capable of providing finacial assistance to a player and give them any support they can ,and not just senior ,any level ,minor ,development squads etc.

Talk is chriost ri will get a replay in the corn u mhuiri.

Nothing decided yet but the afternoon a decision is due.You never can be sure with the gaa.They deserve a replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Good win for the College today against WIT. Lehane with 5 or 6 frees. O'Shea started, and Cadogan the only other Cork senior to feature, apart from McCarthy, off the bench. They play Carlow this day week in Carlow.

BfPBKsbIYAATxC1.jpg

UCC won by five 14 to 9 against wit.

lehane got 7,the bulk from frees,o shea,cadogan as a sub and ,murray and lawton also.They never got out of second gear really,that team that started wont win it outright,i doubt it.There has to be a few changes.
    Colm spillane and diarmuid lester are two that need to be in the backs.
    Rob o shea had a good game,but should be at midfield instead of roche.

Lehane even at college level looks out of place at full forward.Has to be in the half forward line at 10 or 12 and running in to the aera rather than at 14.Cadogan should be in the corner ,with shane o donnell and there is a lot of competition for the last spot,aherne,griffin,hartnett etc.

Harnedy could be half forward or even full forward.

A lot of competiton with mark sugrue,dan mcormack vying for a spot in the half forward line.

James barry played well as did prendegerast and cormac murphy was good and got a great point,a much better option for cork than stephen white,he plays good ball in to the forwards,has plenty of hurling.
    Paudie prengerast was good .

They have good options to come in but today were never in trouble.They will definetly improve such is the quailty they can bring in and they will need to.

Hoping to make ul tommorrow nt sure yet ,but I would like to see egan for ucd and jack sheehan mainly if starts,hopefully he will at full back.

The ul ptich ,the grass one,not the north campus ptich is where it is set for.
    Saw ptich last night looks in good nick even with the rain fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Some of your points are fair but what are you saying?

Your trying to state mcloughlin,and sullivan are the best in cork and thats all thats avaible.Complely untvrue.

The big difference with all I mentioned is they never got time like the aforementiond of got.

Ah be realistic,paul fynn got a few games here and there never constant run.

david gould got one munster game ?hes brother got 7 years in the same position .you can surely see my point.

Yes o donovan isnt the most mobile but he can kick a ball.Numerous times with the cork juniors andrew even wasted it away.

The two dalys yes like I said ,we cant say they can make it or not but surely they are better than mcloughlin.
    That argument that it is too much of a jump from junior to senior intercounty is untrue.How many lads that never played any grade bar junior. With cork like donnach o connor but made senior.
    Yes there is a gap but it can be done.At least daly holds hes own there,mcloughlin cant do that.
    Take seamus harnedy ,with killegh st itas,junior,but super with ucc.If jbm held the same view ,and thankfully he didnt that you held then ,harnedy an all star would never of played for cork.Ger fitz and the minor men ignored hes talent.He played with cork intermediates and stood out.
    Daly is similar ,he may not make it,but based on what I say give him a chance,dont be narrow minded,oh hes from a small club in St marys he isnt up to it.Mcloughlin had hes chances.Daly like others has not.
    Take liam doyle clare 95,,he got picked as he stood out for the clare all ireland junior winning team.

You didnt mention colin tucker o brien.you surely ,you go to a lot of matches ,so you saw saw the 2010 and 2013 cork Senior county finals in which he was man of the match and in the last one played very good.

He is way better than mcloughlin.Lets be honest and call a spade a spade.

My point is it is inaccurate to say there isnt better than mcloughlin or sullivan in cork that could be on the panel.

Lynch would be a much better option than o sullivan in the middle.

You must remember he had a full 2008 and last year and failed to do it.Others must be given a fair crack of the whip to show what they can do.

Its quite simple really. I dont believe that any of those that you mentioned have the sufficient qualities for that level. be they on the panel or those off the panel. As for Colin O'Brien I think he doesnt have the size required for senior intercounty. Im not sure he had a whole lot of exposure at u21 level either.

The likes of Fiachra Lynch have been tried and tested. They were in and around the panel with plenty of opportunities to impress in A Vs B matches and challenge games. FWIW Chris O'Donovan, Kevin Canty and Fiachra Lynch were wiped out totally by Fintan Goold in the PIFC last year. I dont think Lynch is a midfielder either by the way and reckon Cathal Vaughan to be a far better prospect for a spot in the half forward line.

In order to make it at this level you need an awful lot of things to come together, pace, strength, size, football, intelligence, toughness, character to name a few. A number of those mentioned both on and off the panel are lacking in a couple of these items. Generally football has gone the way that physical attributes are taking precedence over footballing ones. These may be factors in the decisions on why some guys are not part of the panel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

UCC won by five 14 to 9 against wit.

lehane got 7,the bulk from frees,o shea,cadogan as a sub and ,murray and lawton also.They never got out of second gear really,that team that started wont win it outright,i doubt it.There has to be a few changes.
    Colm spillane and diarmuid lester are two that need to be in the backs.
    Rob o shea had a good game,but should be at midfield instead of roche.

Lehane even at college level looks out of place at full forward.Has to be in the half forward line at 10 or 12 and running in to the aera rather than at 14.Cadogan should be in the corner ,with shane o donnell and there is a lot of competition for the last spot,aherne,griffin,hartnett etc.

Harnedy could be half forward or even full forward.

A lot of competiton with mark sugrue,dan mcormack vying for a spot in the half forward line.

James barry played well as did prendegerast and cormac murphy was good and got a great point,a much better option for cork than stephen white,he plays good ball in to the forwards,has plenty of hurling.
    Paudie prengerast was good .

They have good options to come in but today were never in trouble.They will definetly improve such is the quailty they can bring in and they will need to.

Hoping to make ul tommorrow nt sure yet ,but I would like to see egan for ucd and jack sheehan mainly if starts,hopefully he will at full back.

The ul ptich ,the grass one,not the north campus ptich is where it is set for.
    Saw ptich last night looks in good nick even with the rain fall.
    Is Darragh Fives on the UCC panel? If they still have him, Harnedy and Shane O'Donnell to get game time they're going to be very tough to beat.
    You said Paudie Pender was good for UCC
    How'd the other Waterford lads get on? Jamie Barron, Paudie Mahony, Jake Dillon, Stephen Roche, Shane Roche and Gavin O'Brien?

slingerz wrote: »
    Its quite simple really. I dont believe that any of those that you mentioned have the sufficient qualities for that level. be they on the panel or those off the panel. As for Colin O'Brien I think he doesnt have the size required for senior intercounty. Im not sure he had a whole lot of exposure at u21 level either.

The likes of Fiachra Lynch have been tried and tested. They were in and around the panel with plenty of opportunities to impress in A Vs B matches and challenge games. FWIW Chris O'Donovan, Kevin Canty and Fiachra Lynch were dwiped out totally by Fintan Goold in the PIFC last year. I dont think Lynch is a midfielder either by the way and reckon Cathal Vaughan to be a far better prospect for a spot in the half forward line.

In order to make it at this level you need an awful lot of things to come together, pace, strength, size, football, intelligence, toughness, character to name a few. A number of those mentioned both on and off the panel are lacking in a couple of these items. Generally football has gone the way that physical attributes are taking precedence over footballing ones. These may be factors in the decisions on why some guys are not part of the panel
    The last few lines you said,is of huge relavance to the debate.
    You have admitted there is quite a few on the panel,that arent up to this level and lack various attriubutes for ic level.I agree totally,and that lets not forget whas the baisis of my counter argument to what you said initially that you were fed up of talk x,y and z shouldnt be on the panel as due to injuries,colleges u21 etc,this was the best cork panel they could have picked and there is no better out there.
    Id love you to say who you think does are.
    We may even agree on those.

In relation to size ,your not being consistent,o brien too small for intercounty.What size is mcloughlin.
    The game isnt like it used to be,brute force,powerful athletes.
    Lynch one of our best corner backs was no bigger than o brien.
    If size is an issue what is alan cronin doing there.
    As for daly ,he was very good at u21 in 2011.

Also keep in perspective who was judging these lads in a v b ma ches,peadar healy,jim sullivan the great messiah himself counihan hardly astute judges of the game.

Okay o brien didnt get an u21 call up ,so didnt harnedy not even a minor.He still made it as an all star.If we go by your astute managerial guidelines then when ger fitz,and denis walsh overlooked harnedy there word was gospel.

Again your missing the point.Ill make it simple,whatever bout making it for cork who is a better defender ,o brien who has consistenly done it at senior for nemo or mcloughlin who struggles at intermediate.you say there is no better in cork,i say and many do,there is.

Lynch never got a lot of games for cork.How many has the bucher had.What are the qualites you in the modern game must have.Ball winning and lads that can kick and move it at pace.He cant.Were you in mallow in the mcgrath cup final?

You mention football intelligence.Purely as a footballer are you saying he is?
    Watch the way he plays,one style one way.
    An intelligent foo baller is michael laoire or mark collins or the gooch.

I never mentioned kevin canty as an alternative ,read back.I in fact was the only one who didnt sit on the fence and state canty,keane,sheehan were no where near the level required and said should neve of been on the panel.

You seem to be of the view that cuthbert along with the other four lads are so shrewd we take there judgments on players as gospel and dont question them and hey they picked them ,this is the best cork got.I dont think they have any such proven management yet for us to take them as gospel.

In fact one could argue with the omission of deane ,the constistency of naming players not up to it again and again and the faliure to see the hazards of dualism despite clear evidence to the contary,one would hardly be inspired by the management decisions so far

The simple fact is the 3 guys named ,with all the attrubites you mention are no better than who I named,but they had far more chances than them ,and the others deserve a chance to see what they can do as the others clearly arent up to it.

Yes fine against westmeath,but dublin,kerry and mayo are a completely different story and I mean that geuinely with the greatest respect to westmeath.

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Is Darragh Fives on the UCC panel? If they still have him, Harnedy and Shane O'Donnell to get game time they're going to be very tough to beat.
    You said Paudie Pender was good for UCC
    How'd the other Waterford lads get on? Jamie Barron, Paudie Mahony, Jake Dillon, Stephen Roche, Shane Roche and Gavin O'Brien?

Dillion was pick of wit ,very good ,had ucc in real trouble.Barron was a mixed bag.
    Prengerast was very good and is the lynchpin of the defence.

My team would be

Mccarthy,lester,spillane,glynn,barry,prengerast,murphy,o shea ,murray,lawton,harnedy,lehane,cadogan,donnell,and one of aherne,griffirn, hartnett,barron.

Sugrue would be a real option at half forward or centre forward if needed.

Replay given for chriost ri v dingle like I thought today.

I had there from a reliable scource that would be.great news justice done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Grats

Replay given for chriost ri v dingle like I thought today.

I had there from a reliable scource that would be.great news justice done

I wonder therefore, that if a player gets sent off in error in the future, and his team is defeated, then the game must be replayed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Grats wrote: »
    I wonder therefore, that if a player gets sent off in the future, and his team is defeated, then the game must be replayed?

If he is sent off correctly then of course not.

The new rules were not applied correctly - plain and simple.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    If he is sent off correctly then of course not.

The new rules were not applied correctly - plain and simple.

I omitted - in error.

Old or new, surely all rules should be applied correctly and if a mistake is made then justice should be done!

I wonder therefore, that if a player gets sent off in error in the future, and his team is defeated, then the game must be replayed?

Do you know why all the controveresy was over.It wasnt just one issue.

Please dont tell us your still crying wolf over Henry.?
    Cork never asked for the munster final to be replayed.You clearly havent got a clue what your talking about,when you do ,the issue could be debated.

Do you know why all the controveresy was over.It wasnt just one issue.

Please dont tell us your still crying wolf over Henry.?
    Cork never asked for the munster final to be replayed.You clearly havent got a clue what your talking about,when you do ,the issue could be debated.

Oh dear! I thought it was a reasonable observation. And yes I do know what it was about. This has nothing to do with Henry, or Ryan O'Dwyer or Patrick Horgan. It was just a simple observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Well my god the Anthony Nash motion is going to congress!What are they at at all.The lad scored 2 goals from 5 attempts in both all ireland finals and he messed up the connection on one of the attempts.What is all the fuss about?The plan seems to be to write a players talent out of the rule book and reward cynical fouling.On another note have a look at this article.Cork are finished he say's.No further sentence explaining why Cork are finished.Just Cork are finished and full paragraphs devoted to the other counties!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/paddy-heaney/if-betting-on-gaa-ask-what-would-barney-curley-do-257041.html?utm_source=androidapp&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=sharebutton

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Oh dear! I thought it was a reasonable observation. And yes I do know what it was about. This has nothing to do with Henry, or Ryan O'Dwyer or Patrick Horgan. It was just a simple observation.

For what it's worth i think all three of those incidents were sendings off.Now i don't think there was intent in the Patrick Horgan incident but he connected with the helmet.

Last weekend ul beat laois in a challenge , in hurling 3-17 to 2- 8.

Quaid,o loughlin,mcarthy,carmody,o brien,o mahony,cathal mcnamara,o grady ,tom ryan,reidy,hickey,james ryan, michael ryan,tommy quaid,ghrame mulchay

Mulchay 2-1
    Quaid 6,4 from play
    Michael ryan 1-2

From that game with the team picked,limerick are already going for pace,and mobile hurlers .
    Obivously the na piarsaigh lads are due back but that team ,shows limerick are intent on changing the style.

Tom ryan south liberties a super athlete,and hurler expect him to start the legaue against us.A good test for haughney.Last year in kilworth,outstanding and should of started last year.

Id expect a good portion,not all of that team to start against us.
    Hannon,downes,dowling wont be there but hickey looks like he will be fit.

Quaid seems likely to be full forward so keane would be the man for full back.

For what it's worth i think all three of those incidents were sendings off.Now i don't think there was intent in the Patrick Horgan incident but he connected with the helmet.[/

Fair enough. And for what it's worth I happen to think the new penalty proposal is correct.

For what it's worth i think all three of those incidents were sendings off.Now i don't think there was intent in the Patrick Horgan incident but he connected with the helmet.[/

Fair enough. And for what it's worth I happen to think the new penalty proposal is correct.

Sure why not ban shots 5 yards in from open play while were at it?If people are that worried about health and safety then we have to cover all the angles and take no chances.Let's scrap penalties altogether and award a 45 worth three points instead.How come there was no talk about health and safety when Davy Fitz and Damien Fitzhenry were banging them in?Of course what is conveniently being ignored is that cynical fouling around the goal area resulted in those Anthony Nash penalties in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭zetecescort

sure when Tipp and Kilkenny were knocking lumps out of each other there were no calls for rule changes on safety grounds.

if they stop players moving inside the 21m line taking penalties and 21m frees then they should reduce the numbers of defenders too, otherwise foul play will be rewarded.

why is it that they are trying to reduce cynical fouling in football but not in hurling? penalty spot in football moved 2m closer to goals a few years ago.

if this goes through the GAA will open a can of worms as there are plenty of actions in a game of hurling that could be challenged on health and safety grounds such as overhead pulling, mistimed block downs and hooks.

• Advertisement

Cit trained by pat and donal mulchay and martin o flynn beat lit 1-12 to ten in the fitzgibbon.

Lit have davy and our own fraggie with them.

Wasnt at it but eoin keane,michael sullivan all played.Ellis and coughlan were subs.
    John cronin lisgoold captain.
    David drake a fabolous hurler ,got a goal.
    Went to america,always thought he had it for cork.Interesting to follow him with cit.

Similar to haughney ,in strengths and weakness.Some man to pop over a sideline.

John o rourke played centre back for ul in the sigerson.

Sure why not ban shots 5 yards in from open play while were at it?If people are that worried about health and safety then we have to cover all the angles and take no chances.Let's scrap penalties altogether and award a 45 worth three points instead.How come there was no talk about health and safety when Davy Fitz and Damien Fitzhenry were banging them in?Of course what is conveniently being ignored is that cynical fouling around the goal area resulted in those Anthony Nash penalties in the first place!

The penalties were awarded for the cynical fouling - hardly ignored therefore! Anyway what's the problem with addressing this issue. If nothing is done you'll have every penalty taker advancing more and more as the season goes on. And you're correct when you say it was ignored in years gone by - time to take action.

The penalties were awarded for the cynical fouling - hardly ignored therefore! Anyway what's the problem with addressing this issue. If nothing is done you'll have every penalty taker advancing more and more as the season goes on. And you're correct when you say it was ignored in years gone by - time to take action.

The issue here is that we could be having a situation where the team that gives away the penalty will have the advantage over the team that was the victim of foul play.If were banning things on health and safety grounds then we need to look at other areas where there is a risk to health and safety.Take the shot from Martin Naughton that Ger Cunningham blocked in the 1990 all ireland final.A shot like that is just as dangerous as a close range penalty.Personally myself i don't see what the fuss is all about.Some people seem to think that every time Anthony Nash comes up to take a penalty the ball will be dispatched to the net.Like i said he converted 2 penalties from 5 attempts in both all ireland finals and he missed the connection on one of them.What you seem to want is for someone to be punished because they hit the ball too hard.Isn't walloping the sliothar as hard as you can what we encourage young lad's to do when their doing their practicing?

Huge weekend for cork hurling underage.
    Harty cup semifinals

Minor intercounty panel being cut to 30 tommorrow night.

Been super work already done,but expect it to go up another gear ,when its down to 30.Very competive,be a few dissapointed lads,not a reflection abilty wise if they dont make it,but they is a seriously talented panel.

Teams in fity thread.

Jack sheehan up against jack guiney
    Willam egan starts ucd
    Ul down 1 to 2.

Early yet but lads v impressed jack sheehan at 3 winning most balls against guiney

A bit of cutting in the lad.Just what you want at 3.

1-11 to 1-4 to ul
    Jason forde 5 points
    Podge having a great game

Egan poor enough.
    Cathal keane ucd goal.

Sheehan is having a great game,got a yellow,not afraid to mix it.

Guiney was taken of him,keane got a goal at h forward then went in to him,he held him,then guiney back on him.

• Advertisement

Ul 1-23 to 2-5
    Guiney 20m free

Sheehan taken of ten to go,more he was on a yellow and they had to watch him.

I will do a more detailed report later but very impressed with this lad,who was very much under the radar.He knows how to play full back and tough as nails,gives and takes timber.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement