Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Massive exaggeration to say that he was even that high in the pecking order
    Fair enough ,I would not be a massive Soccer follower ,so. I wouldn't be too up on it,I just remember being in limerick at a game a few years ago and he was sub keeper.

Any idea when the Harty cup venues and dates will be announced?

I presume Chareville and Doon will go ahead in Bruff?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

Games are on this day fortnight. Only venue I know of at the moment is Castlemartyr for Dungarvan-Hamilton

Games are on this day fortnight. Only venue I know of at the moment is Castlemartyr for Dungarvan-Hamilton
    Thanks Denis

Happy New Year.

Cheers, you too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Since Rebel GAA has imploded here is a new Cork gaa discussion forum.

http://bloodandbandage.forumga.net/

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Colm O Neill(retired player on 89-90 teams) son has been picked to play for United States Football team.

Nephew of Maurice Fitzgerald.

Colm O Neill(retired player on 89-90 teams) son has been picked to play for United States Football team.

Nephew of Maurice Fitzgerald.
    Some achievement alright.Fair play to him.
    They have an Bar over there.The father was a superb footballer,only for he getting sent off in 1990 he would have roasted Mick Lyons that day.

Sean Galvin formerly of Bandon was part of the UCF Wednesday that won the Fiesta Bowl,in American College Football.Cork men or women have the talent to be successful anywhere in the World.We are a unique breed.Irish by birth,Cork by the Grace of God:-)

Some achievement alright.Fair play to him.
    They have an Bar over there.The father was a superb footballer,only for he getting sent off in 1990 he would have roasted Mick Lyons that day.

Sean Galvin formerly of Bandon was part of the UCF Wednesday that won the Fiesta Bowl,in American College Football.Cork men or women have the talent to be successful anywhere in the World.We are a unique breed.Irish by birth,Cork by the Grace of God:-)

The 90 Football Final was my First AI. I remember being young lad in Hill and remember that sending off like it was yesterday. Being young lad thought being down 14 men was 10 times worse then it was. Happy lad in end

re College Football: I was actually watching that. Never knew there was Corkman. Special alright:)

The 90 Football Final was my First AI. I remember being young lad in Hill and remember that sending off like it was yesterday. Being young lad thought being down 14 men was 10 times worse then it was. Happy lad in end

re College Football: I was actually watching that. Never knew there was Corkman. Special alright:)
    Were everywhere:-)
    Im not exactly sure,did he win it,but Domnic Foley a huge lad,underage hurler with Cork ,got to a Belgian Cup final years ago .

Yeah that was some final ,some year.I remember being a young lad at that and then the Hurling final.

The hurling day was great as cork minors made a great comeback to draw with Kilkenny.Unfortunately they got well beaten in the replay.
    Those days were special,espiceally the homecoming .It was great to watch the rte match programme after ,with Bobby Ryan as anayalst.He had many a battle with Cork,but credit him,a great respect for Cork.

It could be a long ,long time before we see Cork winning a football again at senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Were everywhere:-)
    Im not exactly sure,did he win it,but Domnic Foley a huge lad,underage hurler with Cork ,got to a Belgian Cup final years ago .

Yeah that was some final ,some year.I remember being a young lad at that and then the Hurling final.

The hurling day was great as cork minors made a great comeback to draw with Kilkenny.Unfortunately they got well beaten in the replay.
    Those days were special,espiceally the homecoming .It was great to watch the rte match programme after ,with Bobby Ryan as anayalst.He had many a battle with Cork,but credit him,a great respect for Cork.

It could be a long ,long time before we see Cork winning a football again at senior.

Well the talent is there but the only reason that Brian Cuthbert was appointed was because he would allow dual players.It's a disgrace that a prospective new manager was asked questions like will you allow dual players during the interview process.The talent is there though but the best man for the managers job John Cleary didn't get the job because he wouldn't allow dual players.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement

Well the talent is there but the only reason that Brian Cuthbert was appointed was because he would allow dual players.It's a disgrace that a prospective new manager was asked questions like will you allow dual players during the interview process.The talent is there though but the best man for the managers job John Cleary didn't get the job because he wouldn't allow dual players.
    Jim Galvin no way would allow ,dual players,not one yet we could have 3 or more.

You would like to know alright why when the votes were deadlocked 3-3 in the selection commitee ,what made the Chairman with the Casting vote decide ,Cuthbhert with just a minor all ireland final ,and nothing to standout at club got the nod over a manager in ten years with u21 was part of 8 Munster titles,four all ireland finals ,winning two and a super record with Castlehaven.

Yes we hear,the presenation ,Cuthbhert gave was meant to be splendid.Fair enough ,and not taking from that,but Cuthbhert with respect as a teacher would want to be fairly strong in that skillset,so I wouldnt judge him on just that.

As Roy keane said you don't praise the postman for delivering the post,as that is expected of him.
    I have only real confidence in the Cork u21 Football team this year to win something,in regards football.

I remember talking to mate few days after 2010 AI win and we were saying lets push on now and win 2-3 more AI in next 5-6 years. Sadly it looks like being our only AI in this time period.

Having 7 AI's is a shocking record for us. We should at least be in double figures. 12-14 would be where we should be at least.

A old man that I knew that loved GAA used to have great saying

"15 bad Cork Hurlers went to Croke Park and won Liam, 15 good footballers went to Croke Park and won nothing".

Out of all the four Cork teams in football,this year ,the team best equipped to win any title would seem to be the U21 team,and getting out of Munster is going to be an achievement in itself,such is the mine field it is ,as Tippereary will have the bulk of the 2011 minor team,and Pat flanganan is added as coach and a lot of that team played last year but they at there peak now.

In fact that Tippereary management set up with David Power is very good ,and Alan O Connor ,who was with the minors in 2011 as Strength and Conditioning ,and with loughainey this year ,it is a top class set up.Alan O Connor ,is like Power a young coach ,and is involved with Tipperary Minors hurlers this year.

And they are taking part in the Hasting Cup ,starting this week,they are bound to be prepared well.They have to play Leitrim away the weekend,but trips away are bound to stand to them down the line.
    If we do get to play Tippereary,at least we have home advantage.

Cork may not come out of Munster,but based on two concepts, (A)talent availble and (B) a proven management team,they seem to be the best team out of our four teams with the right balance.

But they have a huge game against Kerry away,and such has Corks dominance over them the last decade,Kerry are targeting this as a huge game .Darragh O Se is doing a good job with them,last year our cool heads and expierence just got us over the line.

I would expect Kerry to be well prepared , they should have a good few from last year and there will be a huge Kerry crowd at this.They have Padraig O Se,Tadhg Morley,Cillan fitzgerald ,Ronan Murphy,Kieran Murphy(another fine kerry midfielder) ,Adrian Spillane,Conor Keane,Jack Savage,all really fine and highly rated players.

Cork with Sean Hayes in charge have an excellent manager and is proven in Cork,with Gene O Driscoll there also,it is a good set up .If not this year,I would expect Cork to win a Munster title next year.Gene was involved with the minors in 2010,with Cuthbhert,has vast expierence,with modern day football.Astonishing Cuthbhert overlooked him for a senior role,and more so with who he brought in instead.

John Cleary in the time he was with Cork and with Tony Leahy also left a great legacy,8 Munster Titles,two All Irelands,and lost two Finals.
    Cleary's training was magnificent,had a lot of heavy running done in January down in Guggen Barra,but balanced it with football skills later on.

If you look at Corks u21 season as a whole last year what is most pleasing to see is the preparation done by the team ,and even in challenge matches against poor teams,Cork were putting up massive scores in those games.Cleary was key to that,and he and Tony Leahy had a pivotal role in to turning Corks U21 scence from what Noel O leary said in 2003,was the worst set up ever ,to one of the best around.Nothing had changed dramatically in that 12 months ,it is simple,Cork appointed a management team ,that knew what they were doing.That is where it changed.

Cork's U21 Challenge Matches last year:
    5th January Dungarvan -Cork 6-22 to Wexford 0-6
    19th January -LIT Cork 0-14 to Galway 0-9
    9th February- LIT Cork 4-15 to 2-9
    12th February -Mallow Cork 6-15 to Clare 0-6
    15th Februrary- Ballykelly Cork 0-12 beat Roscommon to 0-11
    23th Feb- DCU Cork 1-14 to Dublin 1-6

They had a continuous line of games in the lead up to the Kerry game on the 13th of March.Momentum was built,and while the team had changed considerably from the start,as March closed in,the management had became close enough to picking the 15 in mind.Credit has to go soley to Cleary for that.I was talking to a father of one of the guys involved,and he said the set up was first class,busses ,meals even after away challenge matches properly organised etc.They did not have to want for anything.They were well looked after.That has been the hallmark of every team,Cleary has been involved with.Not only has he produced a conveyour belt for Cork talent regulary for senior,he produced them in a winning enviroment ,and more importantly that enviroment included beating Kerry in Kerry .It is when you only look within the u21 set up and dive deep below the surface ,you begin to truly appreciate what John Cleary brought to the set up.And that is what makes it frustrating,you see one Cork team well prepared yet then you see others off the required standard.

Compare and contrast the U21 Football set up to the U21 set up in Hurling.The Hurler's played four challenge matches in a 4 week period ,mid March to April(that was fine) ,but then just one game from the 22nd of April up to the 17th of July (Munster Championship v Tippereary)there was no way momentum could be built up ,or a settled team built,or a pattern of play formed.The one game they played was in the start of June against the Cats in Cork and the warning signs were there,Cork 1-10 to Kilkenny 2-13.

But Cork had almost a five week gap in games from then to the opener against Tipp.Is it any wonder,Cork were so much of the pace. Tipp had a challenge match with Kilkenny two weeks before us and beat Kilkenny.

When Tippeary U21 hurlers had Limerick in the 1st round,they went to Carrick on Suir ,and played Waterford in a Challenge aproxiatemely around ten days before their opener.They were fine tuning.Compare there prepartion to Corks and it is world's apart.
    Yet the post mortems in Corks defeat seemed full of suprise,as people are baffled ,by what happened,and Cork were very well prepared,according to the management,and the County Board.Now some may say,they made a mistake and got it wrong this year.The fact is,the year was no different.

If there is series of wins or defeats nine times out of ten, they don't just happen cause your luck is either in or out,contary to the myth some have,that it just did not fall for us on the day and these things happen.They happen for a reason.It usually is a symptom of either things being extremely bad or extremely right in a set up.

I posted here before that in 2012 in May before we played Tippereary in the Pairc in U21(another game we lost that we should have won),our lads played Cork intermediates the week before.Lads were playing against lads they knew from the club scence,in a comfort zone.What can you learn from those games is little if anything at all.

In complete contrast Ken Hogan,had Tippearys final warm up game against Kilkenny.Cork in two years,were off the standard.The All Blacks say if it happens once it is an accident,twice it is a trend.

Take the Cork Intermediates Hurlers as an example,with a far less talented panel,there preparation was much better this year.They knew Clare, the Munster Finalists the year before , would be tough(had already played them in Chareville in a challenge at the start of the summer,it was a close game),so they played Kilkenny in a challenge match in Cork two weeks before (a strong kilkenny team beaten All Ireland Finalists the last two years)and beat them by0-17 to 0-12.

Cork blew Clare away ,and were very unlucky to loose to Tipperary(All Ireland Champions)the last two years by a point ,in Thurles on a lovely warm friday eveining with a good few of the lads that were shell shocked by events with the U21 team just two nights before.

You could not have faulted Liam Hayes or he's set up,in that they prepared them as best they could.Thats what good management teams do,they prepare well.The other side of the coin is Fail to Prepare ,Prepare to Fail.The U21 Hurling teams failed drastically.That may seem harsh but there is in truth no other way to kindy phrase that performance.

The U21 Footballers this year have a good set up with a blend of expierence and lads making there debut at the grade.There is the makings of a solid spine in most key aeras of the team.There is a lovely balance of strength,athleticsim,pace,natural footballers and scoring forwards throughout the team.The management team ,having being picked early in time (credit the county board for doing that with this set up)were at and have taken in a lot of club games in the County.

Dan MacEoin,Conor Dorman,Cathal Vaughan,(with CIT ,tommorrow in the Mcgrath Cup)Mark Sugrue ,Kevin Crowley, (Ian Maguire,,Brian O Driscoll,Sean Kiely playing for UCC Sunday in the Mcgrath cup against UL), and Alan Cadogan have been with the panel last year and are certain barring injury to be starting this year.

Michael Cahalane,Killan O'Connor( involved with the Senior's Sunday),Aidan Moyinhan,Kevin Fulgnati,Stephen Cronin,Jack Bushe ,John Corkery are all fine players.The panel started with around 35 aprox,at around October with trials and all is meant to be going well.From now on til March ,training is bound to be intensifed,and a lot of challenges to take place over the next few weeks.

Looking at the panel available ,Corks main concern may be Full back,just as it was last year.Cahalane had done as good a job as he could,but Varley exposed him in the final.Cleary could not be faulted for that,as in truth he had no other option for full back.

Conor Dorman and Brian O Driscoll ,showed last year they are not full or corner backs,they are superb half backs or options at midfield.Dorman was super at half back at senior for Bishoptown this year.It will be interesting to see what the final panel will be,and who is no 3.

It is not beyond the bounds of reality,that one of our best prepared football teams go out in the 1st round,and yet ,the minors could ,as they got a kind draw and have the backdoor ,and make an All Ireland quater final.

The Minors have talent but Donal O Sullivan ,been a selector for years on teams that failed, and should not have got this job,and he's methods are outdated and Jack O'Connor I fear would have the Cork team outhought before a ball is even kicked should they meet.

The one positive is Dorgan from Ballincollig is trainer ,but again how much input will he have.It is not much good if we have a team trained superbly,but the wrong team or players are played out of position as like with the minors hurlers who had a good trainer Frank Flannery ,last year,but the manager picked the wrong team.He done great with Beara in 97,I think it was.This is 2014 though.

Donal O'Sullivan,has been a great servant to Beara and Castletownbere and football runs through he's veins but that should not mean he is the minor manager.I can never understand these appointments,a guy does great 13 years ago ,and yet given a crucial job.

Kerry have taken a step forward with Jack, got rid of Mickey Ned O'Sullivan despite he's life long service to Kerry was by many in kerry deemed old school, .Jack is still coaching at schools,and very much aware of the talent around.James Mccarthy from Castlehaven would have been ideal,involved in schools coaching also.Very much a modern day manager,and would have been a great manager with the minors.

The Cork Juniors ,understandably having to field a new team may not be as strong this year ,they done everything they were asked of last year,credit due,and gave several potential seniors a stage in which they could showcase there talents.

The U21 football team have talented players,a history and a winning culture from the last ten years,complimented by a good coaching set up ,so I think they would be the strongest of all our teams,even though we have the hardest task of all,considering ,we have Kerry away in the 1st game,with no comfort of the backdoor.

Very interesting and of note,Jim Gavin picked Ciaran Kilkenny to start tommorrow in the O Byrne Cup against Westmeath in a second strength side.
    Amid the talk that he was approached by Daly to go hurling this week,Gavin is making a statement of intent,it is a long long season starting tommorrow,and he is a vital part of the football plans and there is no time for both.

Gavin made it clear he wont allow dual players.A statement of intent ,and a ball has not even been kicked yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Thinkstoomuch1 I'll say one think you have some knowledge of the Cork present and past. It's a pleasure reading your posts. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

Game of 2 halves in Mallow with the wind today.

Strange to take off Price at half time when the conditions meant he'd have got a far better test in the second half?

Inside forwards looked sharp,best thing was the ball rarely went back or sideways in any attack,always moving forward.

Midfield will still be a big problem this year,wind was holding up the ball from kickouts in the first half yet we didnt win a single one cleanly in the air.

Thought Sheehan from Dohenys showed promise,the 2 Driscolls played well,Sugrue has fine ability but seemed to lack a bit of pace at times,Galvin started ok but was exposed in the second half when his man ran at him.

Still though,job done.

Christmas came and went,it was short and sweet.I hope Corks season is not the same.
    It started in Mallow,a damp ,cold venue,but despite all the heavy rain,the town of mallow got all week,the ptich as it always is was in splendid condition,the ground staff deserve immense credit for that.

Even the stewarding was top notch,the first two car parks ,quite empty at the start,but due to the weather a lot of late comers,such all 3 were full at the end of the game.What amazes me,with Mallow,it is so clean.Even to go the jacks for a slash,unlike some places where the stinch would knock a buffalo,there is a refreshing smell here,and there remarkably clean.The only fault is there was not enough programmes.On the way driving in,i saw on the left ptich,Cork warming up.I went in for a glimpse,but due to going in to the main ptich late,all the programmes were gone.

A good crowd,the stand was full.
    The match ended Cork 3-22 to Lit 0-7.
    Cork won the ist half 1-17 to 0-1 and the second half 2-6 to 0-6.

Lit I said would be piss poor,they were ,and worse.Even without a programme,normally some players are recognosiable ,none were here ,and even most of the crowd couldnt name one player for them,never have I left any match not knowing one lad.
    No 7 do,stood out,a classy back,super player ,on a beaten team,a one man show who had a super attuide and desire ,i wish a few of our lads had.I must find out hes name.

Cork had a huge wind,and at last showed a real,intent to kick the ball and move it a pace,and before we wouid hand pass a ball five times to score,we kicked at every oppurtuinty,some of the shooting and execution was awful,i wouldnt mind that,but we showed intent to move it a pace.

What was a worry was in the second half when against the wind we had to hand pass,jesus it was awful,slow,lateral and static like last year.If you have to hand pass do like kerry,mayo,dublin move it at pace,with men running forward in to space,rather than static ,slow like a game of basketball played badly.
    That has to be worked on.Old habits die hard.

Pryce,very good ,made a great save in the ist half,like I said,has agility.One on one,saved a pile driver for a 45,had the speed and athletiscm to bounce of the ground fast enough to stop a rebound.The fear is soccer may come calling in the summer.Had a good half,o halloran then came on.

Mcloughlin poor and turned too easily in the second half.
    Cadogan solid,but only played a half.Galvin was full for that half as such was the wind cork had about 8 players at midfield.
    Galvin will have tougher games but was tight,fast and tenacious.I think he has it.One ball after 15 minutes,he had no right to win,a cross field ball,he was brave enough to attack the ball,lynch mode,win it ,shrug of hes man,and deliver a super pass to andrew sullivan.

Then in last few minutes of that half,hes marker took him on,went left and right,so did galvin ,and hands out wide,that you could not pass.He beat 3 different LIT forwards ,a cul de sac for any forward today.The type of defender we need against kerry.He is big,strong,and fast.

Loughrey good,taken of at half time.
    Alan sheehan okay,injured,wasnt tested,didnt stand out or look bad.
    Driscoll good going forward,never tested at the back.
    Walsh was super,what you want and expect from your top midfielder lorded it with gould.He looked like he was limping which is a worry.

O driscoll got a point,okay ,i expected better.
    Sugrue,superb work rate,and desire and attuide on and of the ball,got lovely scores and real pace.
    At the end of the game,a 50-50 ball down half way by the stand he had no right to win.At pace ,he didnt break stride(like hurricane fly)and scooped the ball with a deft scoup of the toe,and kept running,and had the vision to hand pass to DoC,to score.Will shake the senior panel,but will be immense for the u21 team.

Andrew o sullivan,credit due,worked hard,had a hunger,desire ,and won 50-50 balls and was helping defence all day.But he doesnt have the skill of o rourke,,kelly,collins,sugrue who work just as hard but can score,create and have real pace,something he lacks.
    He got a goal,but it was awful defending by the full back and then the keeper.Goulding was carrying an injury and it showed.

Hayes like I said would get tasty points and look good.In the 1st half he did,and every cork forward scored,LIT barely got outside there own half.The cork forwards had so much time and space,they could have made a cup of tea,had a ham sandwich,and still taken the point.

The second half showed why Hayes is not a intercounty player.With the wind against them,cork forwards had to show for the ball,win more dirty ball and had less space.He was found out and didnt want to know,never showed for the ball consistently .He is not or never will be tough enough for inter county,we knew that already,today confirmed it.

Took the penalty well,but shouldnt be on the panel.
    Donnacha was immense,showed a great work rate,and got good points and led the line well.He wasnt playing for hes place compared to hayes yet he had way more drive and hunger than hayes off the ball.Killan o connor ,and sean murphy had nice cameos,killan will be good at u21,Murphy I doubt he can make the step to intercounty.Better than mcloughlin though.
    Kevin crowley,i said before will be a star,he is and could be as great as ciaran o sullivan.A super ,talented,natural footballer,just came on,won a ball in the far corner the killavullen side of the ptich,a lovely sidestep that brian o driscoll would be proud of,and kicked a super goal,any forward in the country would be happy to score.

Won a lot of broken ball,stood out in the ten minutes he played.Watch this lad ,he is going to be a super half back,and has such natural ablity it is easy to see why ucc played him in the forwards.

Cork play ul next week,liam kearns will have them well set up,but cork should be winning that.Kerry will be the real test.O rourke and clancy are with ul.and now UCC are out maguire,kiely and brian o driscoll should get a run with Cork.

Job done today,but in all honesty you cant take too much from the game,in that Clare hammered LIT last year also.

On the club scence,some interesting appointments.
    Stena o donougue former mallow player and coach of ballydesmond,is meant to be going to ballyclough to replace former mallow and cork wing back michael o donovan.

Peadear healy is going to o donovan rossa.
    Billy morgan will stay with ucc,and nemo,but will help mtichelstown and replace larry tompkins.
    If morgan is involved on match days it is great news for the town,as he will bring tactical nous to the team,that tompkins couldnt bring,and while hes teams were superbly fit ,and you will get away with that in the cork junior championship,against keel of kerry,like I said he would be,they were exposed tactially.And they lost the league final.They should be a senior club,and they are taking a major step towards that with Morgan.

Ned english is staying with clyda.I would fancy him to win the tactial battle against peadar healey in the senior championship.It was interesting to see English at todays match,a real football man,down to earth,no airs or graces with him.

On clyda rovers,two worries for the 26th,Jame Fitzgerald had an operation recently,and is out for two months and Buckley is out also,with an injury.

Clyda will still do cork proud,but that talk is for another day.
    I am delighted the gaa season has started again.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

Another year and a good start in terms of Cork GAA!

Nice crowd today in Mallow to see the footballers cruise past LIT, with some players such as Mark Sugrue, Alan Sheehan and Kevin Crowley showing promise!

Also the LIT number 7 is Paddy Dalton, a Tipperary U21 I believe - I saw him play against Mary I before Christmas and was again impressive.

Well, here's hoping for a successful 2014 for both the footballers and hurlers! :)

Another year and a good start in terms of Cork GAA!

Nice crowd today in Mallow to see the footballers cruise past LIT, with some players such as Mark Sugrue, Alan Sheehan and Kevin Crowley showing promise!

Also the LIT number 7 is Paddy Dalton, a Tipperary U21 I believe - I saw him play against Mary I before Christmas and was again impressive.

Well, here's hoping for a successful 2014 for both the footballers and hurlers! :)

Cheers north cork,happy 2014 to you lad.

Dalton was super,fast and really showed up andrew sullivan for a lack of pace at times.

Very impressed by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

Cheers north cork,happy 2014 to you lad.

Many Happy Returns Thinkstoomuch.

Best of luck to Clyda Rovers also and hope 2014 will be a year to remember for them!

• Advertisement

No 7 do,stood out,a classy back,super player ,on a beaten team,a one man show who had a super attuide and desire ,i wish a few of our lads had.I must find out hes name.

Pryce,very good ,made a great save in the ist half,like I said,has agility.One on one,saved a pile driver for a 45,had the speed and athletiscm to bounce of the ground fast enough to stop a rebound.The fear is soccer may come calling in the summer.Had a good half,o halloran then came on.

Galvin will have tougher games but was tight,fast and tenacious.I think he has it.One ball after 15 minutes,he had no right to win,a cross field ball,he was brave enough to attack the ball,lynch mode,win it ,shrug of hes man,and deliver a super pass to andrew sullivan.

Then in last few minutes of that half,hes marker took him on,went left and right,so did galvin ,and hands out wide,that you could not pass.He beat 3 different LIT forwards ,a cul de sac for any forward today.The type of defender we need against kerry.He is big,strong,and fast.

The second half showed why Hayes is not a intercounty player.With the wind against them,cork forwards had to show for the ball,win more dirty ball and had less space.He was found out and didnt want to know,never showed for the ball consistently .He is not or never will be tough enough for inter county,we knew that already,today confirmed it.

A nice review of the game,not on here long but already enjoy reading your posts.:)

Few things I'd have issue with,the joys of forums;)

Cork were 1-15 to 0 score for LIT at half time.

That no.7 for LIT was worlds apart from the rest around him,very cool head when in posession,shame hes on a poor team.

Price,apart from that one save in the dying minutes of the half had zero to do for the rest of that half.The only other ball to come his way was a high lobbing ball which he seemed unsure if it would go out over the end line or out,in the end he fumbled it under a bit or pressure,and the ref blew the halftime whistle allmost straight after. No fault in anything he did,but at the same time you'd really need to see him for a full 70 to gauge how good he is.

Galvin,in the first half,like all the Cork backs,had it easy. They were playing basically around midfield,every ball kicked at them was already being blown back by the wind,the no.7 for LIT could be heard clearly in the stand from the pitch screaming to hold onto posession,dont kick it away,because everytime they did it never found a man,mainly due to the wind.
    The second half Galvin was shown up for being far too loose I thought,his man took 3 points off him if im not mistaken mid way through the half in a few minutes spell. He regained his composer to be fair but as you said he'll have far tougher games and to give that space to proper forwards just wont do.

As for Hayes,'found out',didnt want to know??? Nah I wouldnt have that,not the game I watched anyway,he moved the ball around at no less of a pace than any of the other forwards,and at that stage the game was up,any fluidity that was there was gone. 1-4 he scored today,the bulk of all Cork scores was done in the first half so if John was missing in the second half surely others were to blame aswell.

Johns biggest thing is his size I feel,and he lacks that bit of toughness.Size wise hes no smaller than the Gooch I reckon,or Alan Brogan maybe,but I'd put my house on either of them to get out of a tight spot and make a score,or take a score.Thats where I feel John lacks a bit. One on one,hes great,will turn on a six-pence for you,showed it time after time in the county Championship over the years,but physically he lacks a small bit of bigtime game smarts.

I wouldnt write him off completely,I still think he could do a job for us with 15-20mins to go in a game,bit of experience later on in the year.

Other than that all is good!:p

There just my opinions,i'm new on here so will never intend to ruffle any feathers,just like to voice my opinions,diehard Cork fan,look forward to more discussions and debates as the year progresses. :)

Heres to a long season of Sundays!
    Up da Rebels:)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Michael Shields will be back for the next round as well as DIT lost to Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Christmas came and went,it was short and sweet.I hope Corks season is not the same.
    It started in Mallow,a damp ,cold venue,but despite all the heavy rain,the town of mallow got all week,the ptich as it always is was in splendid condition,the ground staff deserve immense credit for that.

Even the stewarding was top notch,the first two car parks ,quite empty at the start,but due to the weather a lot of late comers,such all 3 were full at the end of the game.What amazes me,with Mallow,it is so clean.Even to go the jacks for a slash,unlike some places where the stinch would knock a buffalo,there is a refreshing smell here,and there remarkably clean.The only fault is there was not enough programmes.On the way driving in,i saw on the left ptich,Cork warming up.I went in for a glimpse,but due to going in to the main ptich late,all the programmes were gone.

A good crowd,the stand was full.
    The match ended Cork 3-22 to Lit 0-7.

Lit I said would be piss poor,they were ,and worse.Even without a programme,normally some players are recognosiable ,none were here ,and even most of the crowd couldnt name one player for them,never have I left any match not knowing one lad.

Cork had a huge wind,and at last showed a real,intent to kick the ball and move it a pace,and before we wouid hand pass a ball five times to score,we kicked at every oppurtuinty,some of the shooting and execution was awful,i wouldnt mind that,but we showed intent to move it a pace.

What was a worry was in the second half when against the wind we had to hand pass,jesus it was awful,slow,lateral and static like last year.If you have to hand pass do like kerry,mayo,dublin move it at pace,with men running forward in to space,rather than static ,slow like a game of basketball played badly.
    That has to be worked on.Old habits die hard.

Mcloughlin poor and turned too easily in the second half.
    Cadogan solid,but only played a half.Galvin was full for that half as such was the wind cork had about 8 players at midfield.

Loughrey good,taken of at half time.
    Alan sheehan okay,injured,wasnt tested,didnt stand out or look bad.
    Driscoll good going forward,never tested at the back.
    Walsh was super,what you want and expect from your top midfielder lorded it with gould.He looked like he was limping which is a worry.

O driscoll got a point,okay ,i expected better.
    Sugrue,superb work rate,and desire and attuide on and of the ball,got lovely scores and real pace.
    At the end of the game,a 50-50 ball down half way by the stand he had no right to win.At pace ,he didnt break stride(like hurricane fly)and scooped the ball with a deft scoup of the toe,and kept running,and had the vision to hand pass to DoC,to score.Will shake the senior panel,but will be immense for the u21 team.

Andrew o sullivan,credit due,worked hard,had a hunger,desire ,and won 50-50 balls and was helping defence all day.But he doesnt have the skill of o rourke,,kelly,collins,sugrue who work just as hard but can score,create and have real pace,something he lacks.
    He got a goal,but it was awful defending by the full back and then the keeper.Goulding was carrying an injury and it showed.

Hayes like I said would get tasty points and look good.In the 1st half he did,and every cork forward scored,LIT barely got outside there own half.The cork forwards had so much time and space,they could have made a cup of tea,had a ham sandwich,and still taken the point.

Took the penalty well,but shouldnt be on the panel.
    Donnacha was immense,showed a great work rate,and got good points and led the line well.He wasnt playing for hes place compared to hayes yet he had way more drive and hunger than hayes off the ball.Killan o connor ,and sean murphy had nice cameos,killan will be good at u21,Murphy I doubt he can make the step to intercounty.Better than mcloughlin though.
    Kevin crowley,i said before will be a star,he is and could be as great as ciaran o sullivan.A super ,talented,natural footballer,just came on,won a ball in the far corner the killavullen side of the ptich,a lovely sidestep that brian o driscoll would be proud of,and kicked a super goal,any forward in the country would be happy to score.

Won a lot of broken ball,stood out in the ten minutes he played.Watch this lad ,he is going to be a super half back,and has such natural ablity it is easy to see why ucc played him in the forwards.

Cork play ul next week,liam kearns will have them well set up,but cork should be winning that.Kerry will be the real test.O rourke and clancy are with ul.and now UCC are out maguire,kiely and brian o driscoll should get a run with Cork.

Job done today,but in all honesty you cant take too much from the game,in that Clare hammered LIT last year also.

On the club scence,some interesting appointments.
    Stena o donougue former mallow player and coach of ballydesmond,is meant to be going to ballyclough to replace former mallow and cork wing back michael o donovan.

Peadear healy is going to o donovan rossa.
    Billy morgan will stay with ucc,and nemo,but will help mtichelstown and replace larry tompkins.
    If morgan is involved on match days it is great news for the town,as he will bring tactical nous to the team,that tompkins couldnt bring,and while hes teams were superbly fit ,and you will get away with that in the cork junior championship,against keel of kerry,like I said he would be,they were exposed tactially.And they lost the league final.They should be a senior club,and they are taking a major step towards that with Morgan.

Ned english is staying with clyda.I would fancy him to win the tactial battle against peadar healey in the senior championship.It was interesting to see English at todays match,a real football man,down to earth,no airs or graces with him.

On clyda rovers,two worries for the 26th,Jame Fitzgerald had an operation recently,and is out for two months and Buckley is out also,with an injury.

Clyda will still do cork proud,but that talk is for another day.
    I am delighted the gaa season has started again.

Mirchelstown did well to win the county yesterday but there is a big jump to the senior ranks. tbf i cant see them winning the intermediate A title first off and then the premier intermediate grade would be an even bigger jump.

they got a lot of breaks in the junior championship this year. injury robbed ballyclough of colm o'neill and very much blunted their challenge, Kilmichael suprised Kilmurray in mid cork to be there opposition in the county qtr final which they were made play 5 days after winning that division even though the other quarter finals werent played until a month later! The semi final was against Glenbower who defeated Belgooly neither of which would be football strongholds so had Beara/Seandun/Carbery and Duhallow reps on the opposite side of the draw.

Colums came through after suprising both Bandon and Caheragh in the Carbery championship but as we saw Bandon beat Mitchelstown in the county league final despite being out of championship for 3 months.

Fair play to mitchelstown they beat what was in front of them this year but as with any championship winning side they had the luck with them when they needed it but to say they should be a senior club is a bit of a stretch.

i know they are a town but plenty towns such as Bandon, Mallow, Macroom which are larger than Mitchelstown are not senior clubs either

Connorzee wrote: »
    Michael Shields will be back for the next round as well as DIT lost to Meath.

O'Byrne Cup is round-robin so I doubt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

The butcher isn't up to IC level, he looked nervous and slow on the ball especially in the second half, kicked a few balls away. Good club player.
    Price should have stayed on for the second, might be a good battle for number 1 position?
    We won 90% of the breaking ball and it was direct ball in the first half, second half was a good bit of hand passing but you'd expect that like.
    I think Galvin was on LIT's number 11 in the second half and was beaten well, John McLoughlin had a fine game as too the O'Driscoll brothers. Caoghan played the whole match and was very good, strong and powerful, made one ot two mistakes but will be happy. Surgue was very good, he is a strong lad and held his position well. DOC looks fit and was best out on the field but his marker was 5 yards behind him all the time! Young Crowley was deadly pace and was good on the ball, he will be class act in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Lads if any of ye would like to do a bit of writing - match previews and reports etc - for www.livegaelic.com send me a message here.

slingerz wrote: »
    Mirchelstown did well to win the county yesterday but there is a big jump to the senior ranks. tbf i cant see them winning the intermediate A title first off and then the premier intermediate grade would be an even bigger jump.

they got a lot of breaks in the junior championship this year. injury robbed ballyclough of colm o'neill and very much blunted their challenge, Kilmichael suprised Kilmurray in mid cork to be there opposition in the county qtr final which they were made play 5 days after winning that division even though the other quarter finals werent played until a month later! The semi final was against Glenbower who defeated Belgooly neither of which would be football strongholds so had Beara/Seandun/Carbery and Duhallow reps on the opposite side of the draw.

Colums came through after suprising both Bandon and Caheragh in the Carbery championship but as we saw Bandon beat Mitchelstown in the county league final despite being out of championship for 3 months.

Fair play to mitchelstown they beat what was in front of them this year but as with any championship winning side they had the luck with them when they needed it but to say they should be a senior club is a bit of a stretch.

i know they are a town but plenty towns such as Bandon, Mallow, Macroom which are larger than Mitchelstown are not senior clubs either

Look lets be realistic,here for a moment.You can put mtichelstown ,and mallow,and macroom in the same context and say they are not senior club,which you are correct,but that doesnt mean its alright.
    Just cause you have other big clubs that punch below their weight,and dont utilse there rescources,is not and should not be an excuse to justify there means in lower grades.These town should strive to be senior and when they are ,make sure that even at there worst,the mininum accetpance for them is senior status.

In all honesty these clubs wiith the pick and money they have (take mtichelstown it is no secret ,Larry had large expeneses ,what a waste of money on such a limited manager living of name )should be senior clubs.

Mallow ffs,have three times the size of a pick of clyda and should be senior.I dont buy all this bol**x,that a team needs a lot of luck etc.Like I always say,yes you need a bit,but if your going in to a game,relying on divine intervention from the gods your f**cked,as the game you are saying is not in your control.Like munster say,time after time,you control the controllabes.
    You make your own luck,and fortune tends to favour the brave.

Mtichelstown ,had one tactic,get shane beston the ball ,and that was that.They had no system,no unity ,no real spirit when backs are to the wall.Mallow with all there talent ,are the same.They believe there own hype.A lot of mallow fans backed them to beat bheal an ghortaigh,and just though oh we are the big shots ,just turn up.

What mallow didnt have or havent since a good coach ronan sheehan in 2007,is gone,is heart ,balls and unity to play as a team.Mallow have super talent but they are in danger of becoming a complex with great faciltes than a club.Everyone owns the club in mallow but no one is a real part of it,in a sense.
    They need to be as committed,hungry,dedicated as clyda.

Grenagh,clyda,newtown ,kildorrey ,dripsey etc,over the years have punched way about there weight,as every single person is involved,mothers wash jerseys night before,girlfriends ,wives all invloved in making sandwiches etc you name it everyone is past of it.When clyda and grenagh and newtown take the field,they hold those values to heart,as johnny keane said after grenagh won the junior ,at h time,he told the boys rememeber there underage coaches,neighbours ,all with the club etc,and when they got to the closing end of the game,that would drive them through.

Clyda are down to the bare mininum for the 26th yet they wont use that as an excuse,they will leave nothing on the field of play ,in three weeks.

Mtichelstown with their big cheque book proved you cant buy success.They won a junior ,but I wouldnt call that great when they should be out of there.Morgan ,of course will get expenses,but it wont be as much as larry ,and morgan has a record to justify hes means.

The problem with some big towns,is there is some know it alls involved that never kicked a ball or held a hurley in their life,that are running the show.The small clubs dont have such luxury of wasting time,so they make best of what they have.Real gaa people involved.

Why do you think english went to clyda,and it did not cost them a bob.Cause the values like honesty,commitment,no complaining or excuses,and every single person rows in support ,are values he holds their.

The big clubs ,have no excuses for underperforming.
    Ballincollig are another example but like mallow are beginning to realise what needs to be done and are putting the work in .Mayfield are doing the same,have set up an academy up there .

John o dywer gave a good interview about ballincollig during the summer where he said they were trying to change the attutide down there.A splendid,brave, honest and open,interview he gave in the Echo.He said they had"big town syndrome"

Where they had such a large population they underachieved at hurling and football.He said they should be senior.
    Hes best piece was when he said your teammates and not the manager, at small clubs would kill you for being late or missing such is there unity,where at big clubs they wouldnt even know you were gone.The dedication and commitment he said wasnt their in the past ,but he was trying to change that ,and the first answer to any problem,is you must accept that one exists,only then can you solve it.
    Too many big clubs still fail to accept they have problems.

Ballincollig,under dwyer realised they do and revamped the scence at schools level and there day in time will come.It is great to see such down to earth,knowlegable people like dywer involved with the cork minor hurlers this year.

Too many big towns were born with a silver spoon in their mouth,in that most things are too easy for them.The small club that is putting out fires every day in the week,has that fight when they take the field ,and its that heart,hunger,to overcome advertsity allows them to grow.

Morgan won't take any prisoners at mtichelstown,will make it clear a junior is nothing for them to get carried away with,and combined with hes tactical shrewdness he will tap in ,and utilse the rescources availble.It is good news for them ,if morgan is full time.

To say mtichelstown should be senior is not a stretch ,but a realistic view of where they should aim to be in five years.You must set the standards .

The butcher isn't up to IC level, he looked nervous and slow on the ball especially in the second half, kicked a few balls away. Good club player.
    Price should have stayed on for the second, might be a good battle for number 1 position?
    We won 90% of the breaking ball and it was direct ball in the first half, second half was a good bit of hand passing but you'd expect that like.
    I think Galvin was on LIT's number 11 in the second half and was beaten well, John McLoughlin had a fine game as too the O'Driscoll brothers. Caoghan played the whole match and was very good, strong and powerful, made one ot two mistakes but will be happy. Surgue was very good, he is a strong lad and held his position well. DOC looks fit and was best out on the field but his marker was 5 yards behind him all the time! Young Crowley was deadly pace and was good on the ball, he will be class act in the future.

I thought mcloughlin was poor enough.Galvin had a fine game in general I thought.The fact lit swtiched markers on him showed that.I agree ,for all the butchers endeavour he is not at this level.

Leary done well as a sub ,would not mind he getting the black card.
    Hayes ,showed he won't win dirty ball.I guarantee anyone here,he will do fine against westmeath and derry down the pairc,but up against mayo ,dublin and tyrone he will get found out.
    I don't think physique is the problem.Its mental toughness he lacks.Compare him to Hurley and there similar ,hayes unlike hurley wants the perfect pass.

If cork were going to bring anyone back,id have masters over hayes any day of the week.At least on he's good day he played super against kerry,1-6 in 2006,and 5-73 in 16 games for cork is much better than hayes has.But masters has not the work rate,hunger of the ball to come back,so I wouldnt want him back ,but id rather him than hayes.

Hayes is the same attuide as Masters and no where near masters level of skill,so if cork want to take a gamble,hayes certainly is not the man to take it on.

He had two different managers ,morgan and counihan,couldnt make it.If we need john hayes back to win us the all ireland,we have real problems.

Not as bad as Cussen coming back to the hurlers,but similar ,in that a good club season and people forget all the failed chances he had with Cork .

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

First game of the year and the weather + LIT were cat!

UL match will provide a better test. I hope to make it....Mallow again?

• Advertisement

I wouldnt have Masters anywhere near that team,to talk about performances from 2006,sure Masters was never the same player the last few years,that year away from GAA did him no favours,saw him a few times since and hes a shadow of that player of old.

If O Neill is back fully fit for the Championship Hayes wont be on that panel anyway,but for the League i'd still keep him around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement