Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Was anyone at the Newtown v Killeagh game at wend?

I heard there as a brawl.. Was it that bad or just exaggeration?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

keane2097 wrote: »
    What you have or haven't won says absolutely nothing about your ability to analyse a game.

By your logic several Kerrymen are far and away the best placed people to judge football.

and some of them actually believe that to be true....funny isn't it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Rebel Fan

What you have or haven't won says absolutely nothing about your ability to analyse a game.

By your logic several Kerrymen are far and away the best placed people to judge football.

Fair point, but each to their own, I enjoy watching Spillane and O Rourke analysing games, they call it what it is. Brolly has this habit of making things personal, maybe he's looking to hit the headlines so he can get a job in a top newspaper? The very fact we're talking about him is probably improving his chances so I think I'll shut up now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    and some of them actually believe that to be true....funny isn't it;)

Not really, depends on your sense of humour maybe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Not really, depends on your sense of humour maybe.

I would certainly agree with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Was anyone at the Newtown v Killeagh game at wend?

I heard there as a brawl.. Was it that bad or just exaggeration?

Saw a picture in the examiner about it but didnt get any more info.

Rebel Fan wrote: »
    Fair point, but each to their own, I enjoy watching Spillane and O Rourke analysing games, they call it what it is. Brolly has this habit of making things personal, maybe he's looking to hit the headlines so he can get a job in a top newspaper? The very fact we're talking about him is probably improving his chances so I think I'll shut up now!!!

In the long run we might be thanking Brolly for 5 reasons.

1. Cork will play great football and destroy any opposition that plays them.

2. We will beat Kerry in the semi final and beat them well.

3. We will win SAM and win back to back All Irelands.

4. Brolly will be made eat his words by Tony Davis on the Sunday Game that night.

5. 2011 All Ireland will be classified as no "soft" All Ireland for Cork especially amongst Kerry people.

Joe Brolly keep writing those articles, we are begging you.

teednab-el wrote: »
    In the long run we might be thanking Brolly for 5 reasons.

1. Cork will play great football and destroy any opposition that plays them.

2. We will beat Kerry in the semi final and beat them well.

3. We will win SAM and win back to back All Irelands.

4. Brolly will be made eat his words by Tony Davis on the Sunday Game that night.

5. 2011 All Ireland will be classified as no "soft" All Ireland for Cork especially amongst Kerry people.

Joe Brolly keep writing those articles, we are begging you.

I remember Seanie Gorman said before the game against Tipp in 1990 when Babs called Cork a shower of donkeys that the first thing they saw when they arrived in dressing room was pictures of Donkeys..No speech by Fr o Brien or anything before the game that was motivation in itself..I be doing same with Brolly comments...

Its a tricky one against Mayo we should win but I have feeling be tougher then people think, then again I always think that.

Its a tricky one against Mayo we should win but I have feeling be tougher then people think, then again I always think that.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more, Mayo will throw the kitchen sink at us, they're in a great position, no expectation on them so they can throw the shackles off and have a real go at us. If we don't turn up it could be a long afternoon, but we have a strong, experienced panel of players and management so hopefully we'll come away with the win and no more injuries. Then we can start to concentrate on that other lot in the semi!

Its a tricky one against Mayo we should win but I have feeling be tougher then people think, then again I always think that.

Couldn't agree more, Mayo will throw the kitchen sink at us, they're in a great position, no expectation on them so they can throw the shackles off and have a real go at us. If we don't turn up it could be a long afternoon, but we have a strong, experienced panel of players and management so hopefully we'll come away with the win and no more injuries. Then we can start to concentrate on that other lot in the semi![/QUOTE]

A now give Limerick some respect will ya;):D

• Advertisement

Couldn't agree more, Mayo will throw the kitchen sink at us, they're in a great position, no expectation on them so they can throw the shackles off and have a real go at us. If we don't turn up it could be a long afternoon, but we have a strong, experienced panel of players and management so hopefully we'll come away with the win and no more injuries. Then we can start to concentrate on that other lot in the semi!

A now give Limerick some respect will ya;):D[/QUOTE]

That's who I was talking about!!! Awaiting you response Sendit!!!

A now give Limerick some respect will ya;):D

That's who I was talking about!!! Awaiting you response Sendit!!![/QUOTE]

Ah FFS - don't go waking him up - or the other fella;)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Meursault

The reason why Brolley is an @ssh*le, is because he makes deliberately insulting remarks, and has no problem insulting individual players with a lot more talent than he ever had. He has no problem completely contradicting himself whenever it suits. a couple of years ago, Tyrone were the team of the decade and Kerry weren't even in the same league. 2 years later Kerry are the very definition of footballing excellence, and a yardstick by which to measure (and insult) other teams.
    I have no problem with constructive criticism but with him it's always snide and personal. He's had a grudge against cork for a long time. only god and himself know why.

The more I think about it the more I think Brolly has few pounds on us to win AI and he just doing this to get us really wound up:cool:

The more I think about it the more I think Brolly has few pounds on us to win AI and he just doing this to get us really wound up:cool:

If we win Sam and he has a broader smile than Davis, you could be right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Carthy303

Who do people think should be Gouldings replacement for Sunday?Just interested to hear what the rest of the county thinks about Fiachra Lynch.I live not too far from him and hes taking a bit of stick but then again people never like to see a rival clubs player on an inter-county panel.I myself think hes a good footballer but the jurys out on whether hes good enough for inter-county!Having said that I cant come up with anybody else to play instead of him!

Carthy303 wrote: »
    Who do people think should be Gouldings replacement for Sunday?Just interested to hear what the rest of the county thinks about Fiachra Lynch.I live not too far from him and hes taking a bit of stick but then again people never like to see a rival clubs player on an inter-county panel.I myself think hes a good footballer but the jurys out on whether hes good enough for inter-county!Having said that I cant come up with anybody else to play instead of him!

I reckon he could start or be first attacking sub. Not seen alot of him to be honest.

I'm not a gambling man but I would take a punt on putting Kerrigan in the corner and give young Hallissey from the minors a go in the half forward line. I know he's young but "if you're good enough you're old enough", this guy will be a star for us for years, maybe now is the time to throw him in at the deep end. He has plenty Croke Park experience so it shouldn't faze him one bit, just a thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm not a gambling man but I would take a punt on putting Kerrigan in the corner and give young Hallissey from the minors a go in the half forward line. I know he's young but "if you're good enough you're old enough", this guy will be a star for us for years, maybe now is the time to throw him in at the deep end. He has plenty Croke Park experience so it shouldn't faze him one bit, just a thought!

If ever there was a time to give a young guy a chance to impress it would be in a game like Mayo that should be pretty comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

If ever there was a time to give a young guy a chance to impress it would be in a game like Mayo that should be pretty comfortable.

Two championship games in 8 days can be severe on the legs too. You couldn't ask for a better chance to rest up some key players for the rest of the championship.

• Advertisement

I agree with you that he will be a great player in years to come. IMO he should have been starting for the u21s ahead of Honohan this year. As for Sunday,I just can't see it happening. Not because of his age but just because of the fact theres other guys who have been around the panel all year there like David Goold, Mark Collins and a few more.

Fintan O' Toole in the Examiner says that Nicolas Murphy may play at full forward.

http://examiner.ie/sport/gaa/veteran-murphy-in-line-for-forward-role-as-injuries-mount-162414.html

Cork make only one change from last Saturday for the Mayo game.Nicholas Murphy in for Daniel Goulding.Murphy plays at Full Forward with Donncha O' Connor moving to top of the right.

http://www.gaacork.ie/taggedNews/56043/99/cork_senior_football_v_mayo?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

Cork make only one change from last Saturday for the Mayo game.Nicholas Murphy in for Daniel Goulding.Murphy plays at Full Forward with Donncha O' Connor moving to top of the right.

http://www.gaacork.ie/taggedNews/56043/99/cork_senior_football_v_mayo?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

I'll be very interested to see how Murphy gets on at the edge of the square. He has experience of playing there having been shoved in there now and again and of course will cause problems if a good high ball is floated in. Glad everyone else is fit. Hoping for a good first half performance and to continue into the second half. I really enjoyed the last 15mins of the Down game - strange feeling for a Cork football championship match.:D

ShamoBuc wrote: »

I'll be very interested to see how Murphy gets on at the edge of the square. He has experience of playing there having been shoved in there now and again and of course will cause problems if a good high ball is floated in. Glad everyone else is fit. Hoping for a good first half performance and to continue into the second half. I really enjoyed the last 15mins of the Down game - strange feeling for a Cork football championship match.:D

I hope cork don't play all their cards tomorrow. They should beat Mayo handy enough if they play the way they can, but they will need a few surprises up their sleeve if they are to beat Kerry in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Cloyne 0.17 Ballinhassig 0.07

Bride Rovers 2.11 Blackrock 1.12

I fancied blackrock to win this given their big win over douglas in round one. Seemed to be improving after last year but onviously not.

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Cloyne 0.17 Ballinhassig 0.07

Bride Rovers 2.11 Blackrock 1.12

I fancied blackrock to win this given their big win over douglas in round one. Seemed to be improving after last year but onviously not.

Cloyne certainly made no mistake tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Rebel1977 wrote: »

The fact that this was Bride Rovers 3rd match in 3 weeks would have been a big factor imo. Nothing beats playing tough matches on a consistent basis.

Seems like your better off to lose your first round these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

Looks like Joe wasn't far wrong now was he? But im sure Cork have some excise like always?

sendit wrote: »
    Looks like Joe wasn't far wrong now was he? But im sure Cork have some excise like always?

Au contraire fella - Brolly said Cork would beat Mayo;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Brolly is only a bol
    ox

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement