Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Clyda rovers munster semi final put back a wk,from next week.

Anyone have idea? Where the dean ryan cup final Wednesday where the venue is

A bit of a joke no venue listed yet.

LEHANE HAILED AS ‘A SUPERSTAR’

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 04, 2013

MIDLETON captain Padraig O’Shea hailed Conor Lehane as a superstar after the 21- year-old hit an incredible 2-10 to fire Midleton to senior hurling glory.

The Magpies ended a 22-year famine to return as undisputed kingpins of club hurling on Leeside in a 2-15 to 2-13 victory over champions Sars, inspired by one of the greatest county final displays of all-time by Lehane.

The Cork ace has been incredible all season for his club, finishing with a tally of 5-48 after five matches.

“He probably carried us in the first half, got two unbelievable goals and his maturity in the dressing room before the game and at half-time was fantastic,” Midleton captain O’Shea told the Evening Echo.
    “You would know the experience he has picked up from the Cork scene, it showed out there.”

O’Shea, a handsome contributor himself to Midleton’s thrilling triumph, said it had been a wonderful team performance too and that they had answered all the questions surrounding them in their bid to bring the title back to Clonmult Memorial Park for the first time since the halcyon days of legendary names like John Fenton, Kevin Hennessy, Ger Fitzgerald, Sean O’Brien, Denis Mulcahy, and Pat Hartnett and a host of other former greats.

“I thought our six backs were outstanding, they have been all year; they were rock solid and they were inspirational and they made our job up front easier.
    “We knew this was a massive opportunity, we had these opportunities before and we just were not mature enough.

“But boys became men; we showed maturity in the last 10 minutes and we had fierce confidence today. Sars were not champions for nothing, they have been outstanding champions but we knew coming here today that we could match them because we had the work done.’’
    The bond between the players was another key factor in the win O’Shea declared.

Midleton used 11 of the side, including sub Cormac Walsh, that were U21 county champions in 2011.
    They also won the minor title the year before, captained by Lehane, and just three of their starting 15, Kilkenny import Peter Dowling, Aidan Ryan and Declan Ryan, were over 24 years of age.

“Absolutely, we are the same age, we have grown up together. Losing the few games in the past bonded us too. It’s a fierce honour for me personally to be the man to lift the cup after 22 years on behalf of all the players of those years, I am privileged and I could not be happier or prouder.”
    Meanwhile Jennifer O’Leary was Cork’s only camogie All-Star this year, after the awards were presented on Saturday at an event where Donal Óg Cusack was guest speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Clyda rovers munster semi final put back a wk,from next week.

Anyone have idea? Where the dean ryan cup final Wednesday where the venue is

A bit of a joke no venue listed yet.

Midleton are playing Harty cup on wednesday

You are in Sport Limerick Sport
    Doon CBS win all-Limerick Harty Cup clash
    Published: 23 October 2013

Meanwhile, Ardscoil Ris are within touching distance of another quarter-final.

To 100% ensure their progression they need to beat St Flannan’s in two weeks time.

This Wednesday, the North Circular Road side were 0-9 to 1-2 ahead at half time.

They had Ronan Lynch and Ian Galvin in fine scoring form.

The Ardsocil Harty win came 48-hours after they booked a place in the Dean Ryan Final, where they will play Midleton on November 6.

Harty cup they play blackwater in fermoy on wed,but dean final meant be same day.

• Advertisement

http://t.co/jRsFQSjGjx

Lehane on TG4 Tonight 8.30

Told by a limerick gaa development guy tonight that the Dean Ryan Cup game is in two weeks time probably.

Ucc beat Ul tonight ,got around 5 goals down in the North Campus ul in a challenge match in football.

Credit all for playing,a good open game,on a splendid ptich in awful conditions.Be late enough by time ucc lads get back.

Its easy c why there so successful ,prepartion is second to none,not many would sent a team to play a game,with a 3 hr turnaround in such dismal weather ,they could have easily called it off.

Liam kearns was on the line for ul tonight.
    Speaking of ucc they ,had 16 players involved with midelton yesterday,9 won freshers,and six won fitziggbon cup .

Ucc has had a huge input in cork hurling,not that we did not already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Alan Quirke, Pearse O'Neill and Alan O'Connor to follow Noel O'Leary, Paudie Kissane and Graham Canty into retirement this winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

slingerz wrote: »
    Alan Quirke, Pearse O'Neill and Alan O'Connor to follow Noel O'Leary, Paudie Kissane and Graham Canty into retirement this winter

Has that been confirmed?

• Advertisement

Has that been confirmed?
    I hope its true,bar quirke none of the other two have anything left to give.Great players but their time has come.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bar the nightmare of 2007 final I always felt Quirke was underrated.

Great kick out, good shot stopper and excellent under high ball. Very very solid keeper. Was top 3 keeper imo since 2008.

Bar the nightmare of 2007 final I always felt Quirke was underrated.

Great kick out, good shot stopper and excellent under high ball. Very very solid keeper. Was top 3 keeper imo since 2008.

Id agree,testament man to have the nerve to come back from the horror of 2007 to be a top goalie.

Halloran and hanarahan are fine young keepers.
    He was on the late late two wks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Id agree,testament man to have the nerve to come back from the horror of 2007 to be a top goalie.

Halloran and hanarahan are fine young keepers.
    He was on the late late two wks ago.

Ya thats right.

Cameraman showed him least couple of times.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Harty cup they play blackwater in fermoy on wed,but dean final meant be same day.

Dean Ryan is Saturday 23rd November

Has that been confirmed?

Not confirmed yet but will be shortly. County junior final next Sunday probably delaying Alan O'Connors. Should see reports about it on tonight's echo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

It begs the question , is it that they have no faith in the new management or that the management have told them they have no future but on the face of it does seem to be correct decision s

Dean Ryan is Saturday 23rd November
    thanks RG:-o, Very Much apprecite that.I coudnt for the last two wks get any info on that,date wise etc.

do you have a venue?
    Is it Mallow

keep going wrote: »
    It begs the question , is it that they have no faith in the new management or that the management have told them they have no future but on the face of it does seem to be correct decision s

As you say the decisions are correct to go but for six to all to go together is a bit unusal all right.If cuthbhert told them to go,its sounds better,as it is brave and a ruthless call.

If they all went as they had no intention of staying under cuthbhert its a long year ahead.

Sheehan choice to go dual with tell a lot.If he goes dual it is very worrying as its a poor reflection on a natuaral footballer now putting faith in a game foreign to him at ic for five years and more or less saying i have a better chance of success with the hurlers.

I dont think the morale of the team would be great if he goes dual.Walsh would be fine as it was obivous some day he would hurl,was always a hurler ,and always regarded as Ic standard and up to 2009 hurling was unlike sheehan,hurling was hes preferred choice.

This management team as management and not players,is in my view not that inspiring as its all raw and inexpierenced.

Unlike the hurling last year a young team got by as they had expierenced coaches with a fresh trainer and new ideas to inspire them and help them grow and learn.

The management in the football are learing themselves .

Roy keane becoming assistant manager with ireland shows how the Fai ,and im a huge critic of them ,have in fairness turned a corner ,and left the past in the past ,with keane who has always criticised them now involved.Everyone moves forward bar Cork.

Delaney has moved on.Would you ever see Cusack involved in a cork hurling team with the current board their ,i dont think so.

I felt sorry for the Camoige organisition,when i saw them at h time,sunday doing collections for the redevelopment of the castle grounds.

On comparison The Pairc project wants everything for nothing in a sense.A county that has the money,wants goverment funding to help them.

Not confirmed yet but will be shortly. County junior final next Sunday probably delaying Alan O'Connors. Should see reports about it on tonight's echo

Yeah the Echo are running a story tnght.

A panel is meant to be announced.

• Advertisement

tbf i reckon its a mixture. I know that Noel wanted to bow out regardless of how came in to replace Counihan. I cant say for certain about the others but they are all entering or have entered the twilight of their careers.

It may be that Cuthbert wanted rid of some and that some wanted to go. I think from Cuthbert's perspective its best to have the cull at the start so tha he can progress with a full compliment for the coming seasons.

What will be interesting is to see who will come in to replace these departing.

tbf i reckon its a mixture. I know that Noel wanted to bow out regardless of how came in to replace Counihan. I cant say for certain about the others but they are all entering or have entered the twilight of their careers.

It may be that Cuthbert wanted rid of some and that some wanted to go. I think from Cuthbert's perspective its best to have the cull at the start so tha he can progress with a full compliment for the coming seasons.

What will be interesting is to see who will come in to replace these departing.

Quirkes army commitments if abroad like last year,he would find it hard to make it.Maybe that had a bearing.

Kissane went himself,hes a new company based in uk , but he also had to quit hes gda job with the CCB earlier due to time constraints.

I hope Doc stays,Cork need some expierence.A good man of the bench.

Kelly is an uncertainty with hes injury problems next year.

I think we will see Mark Collins playing more of a role this year than he has previously.

I reckon the spine of the team will include Ken O'Halloran, Michael Shields, Eoin Cadogan, James Loughrey, Damien Cahalane, Aidan Walsh, Paul Kerrigan, Daniel Goulding, Ciaran Sheehan.

Outside of that I reckon Fintan Goold will be the likely partner for Aidan Walsh in midfield.

Rory Deane is going to be more involved this year also

I think we will see Mark Collins playing more of a role this year than he has previously.

I reckon the spine of the team will include Ken O'Halloran, Michael Shields, Eoin Cadogan, James Loughrey, Damien Cahalane, Aidan Walsh, Paul Kerrigan, Daniel Goulding, Ciaran Sheehan.

Outside of that I reckon Fintan Goold will be the likely partner for Aidan Walsh in midfield.

Rory Deane is going to be more involved this year also

Kerrigan is far from a nailed on starter.A fine talent,sublime pace,but the last two year never dictated in games like he can.

Id would question hes temperament.Needs to be made clear to him,slate is clean,nt going on reptuations,he needs to do like horgan done in the hurling,deliver consistenty in games .He reminds me of naughton,blinding pace but won't get stuck it.

At the start ,he used to always track back and defend.He has not done that in a while.

He was nearly on every paper last year,or the radio talking the talk,he was the same asking for cork manager appointment to be sped up,and then a wk later welcoming the selectors on board.He needs to stay away from the papers,and put the head down.

All well and good paul,but you must do it on the field of play also.I hope he hasnt believed he is better than he is ,but realises talent he has but must work very hard to get to the next level.At 27 at a crossroads in hes career.

Rest of the list id agree with but would add colm o neill,brian hurley as certain starters.

Michael vaughan,O laoire,Ruairi deane,o Sullivan,two o driscolls will challenge strongly.O sullivan was involved in A V B games this year.

Donal og hodnett and David Gould should get a run up front.John o Rourke has a huge part also to play.

O’CONNOR STAYS ON BUT QUIRKE AND PEARSE SET TO BOW OUT

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 05, 2013

DONNCHA O’Connor has been included in the 38-man extended Cork senior football panel for pre-season training, which will be revealed later in the week.
    However, Rebel goalkeeper Alan Quirke is set to announce his retirement and won’t be involved, while midfielder Pearse O’Neill — currently on his honeymoon — is set to opt out of inter-county duty as well.
    Noel O’Leary, Paudie Kissane and Graham Canty all confirmed their retirement in recent weeks, which will leave Donncha O’Connor, 32, as the only veteran in new manager Brian Cuthbert’s initial squad.

O’Connor’s season with the Rebels was blighted by injury this year but news of his retention will be welcomed across Leeside. He will be looked upon as one of the elder statesmen within the initial panel, and entrusted with guiding the more inexperienced crew members.

Up to 14 players that were not involved this year are included in the list as Brian Cuthbert and his management team seek to refresh the squad.
    Alan Quirke has intimated his days in a Cork jersey may be over. The 37-year-old Valley Rovers’ clubman would not be drawn directly on the speculation mounting regarding his inter-county future yesterday, but did say an official announcement will be made in the coming days.

With Quirke and Pearse O’Neill about to depart, five of the first 15 from the 2010 All-Ireland win are unavailable next year, as well as three subs used that day, Nick Murphy, Derek Kavanagh and Canty.

That’s also assuming Ray Carey, who was abroad this season but has now returned, is back in the mix to challenge for a corner-back berth.

Refeshing to c 14 new guys from last years.

Nothing about AOC retiring.No way should he be considered for next year.Got absoultey roasted in Croke park.

Hopefully,kiely,cotter get a recall and the likes of Butcher, shorten,john mcloughlin are dropped.

Simply no where near Ic Level.

Fiactra Lynch may get a run at midfield.Very strong and mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

We seem to be losing that physical presence that was a feature of the counihan years, alot of the potential players mentioned here wouldnt be as big and stronng as the retirees

We seem to be losing that physical presence that was a feature of the counihan years, alot of the potential players mentioned here wouldnt be as big and stronng as the retirees
    Thats a good thing ,the days of brute force powering you to glory is a distant past,dublin proved that you must have natural footballers and intelligent guys that can think their way around a field rather than strong athletes that know only one way run,and run hard.

Theres a big diff between raw pace and endurance fitness and stamina.

All irelands now are played at tempo of derbys rather than 2010 was at a grand national pace,stamina,grit and endurance,no raw speed in play.Boring,slow and methodical and laboured when it shouldnt have been.
    It was more of who completes the course,than who sets the pace,and leave the rest behind.

Cadogan,shields,sul,loughrey ,sheehan,and walsh ,O neill,Hurley are all strong,robust physical players.What they have is natural pace ,and ability,but walsh has to work on hes kickpassing.Theres enough physicality their already.

We don't need 15 gym bunnies.

Walsh provides the strength, he needs a creative player with him.Vaughan fits the bill or one of the o driscolls.

Guys like shorten,andrew sullivan are the old breed of player cork would have been happy with in 2010.

Their not the best natural talent we have at the moment.

Corks basic skills in some players,kicking,soloing, speed of hand was awful last year.That Must change in order to go forward.

To do that you must pick lads with those natural abilites first and foremost and then work on conditioning where needed.

Thats a good thing ,the days of brute force powering you to glory is a distant past,dublin proved that you must have natural footballers and intelligent guys that can think their way around a field rather than strong athletes that know only one way run,and run hard.

Theres a big diff between raw pace and endurance fitness and stamina.

All irelands now are played at tempo of derbys rather than 2010 was at a grand national pace,stamina,grit and endurance,no raw speed in play.Boring,slow and methodical and laboured when it shouldnt have been.
    It was more of who completes the course,than who sets the pace,and leave the rest behind.

Cadogan,shields,sul,loughrey ,sheehan,and walsh ,O neill,Hurley are all strong,robust physical players.What they have is natural pace ,and ability,but walsh has to work on hes kickpassing.Theres enough physicality their already.

We don't need 15 gym bunnies.

Walsh provides the strength, he needs a creative player with him.Vaughan fits the bill or one of the o driscolls.

Guys like shorten,andrew sullivan are the old breed of player cork would have been happy with in 2010.

Their not the best natural talent we have at the moment.

Corks basic skills in some players,kicking,soloing, speed of hand was awful last year.That Must change in order to go forward.

To do that you must pick lads with those natural abilites first and foremost and then work on conditioning where needed.

Liam Shorten is about 5ft 8' and all about skill rather than pace or power.

Kind contradicts your complete post right there

• Advertisement

Liam Shorten is about 5ft 8' and all about skill rather than pace or power.

Kind contradicts your complete post right there
    He is 5 foot ten,isnt really small.

Are you serious shorten full of skill ,no way.Tell me about hes scoring exploits ?and underage pedigree.

Now mean real pedigree not one point in a league game against Donegal.

Wouldnt agree,shorten is very strong, very rarely out muscled for a ball..Hes doing a good job as trainer with the ag harty cup team,credit due.I heard good reports.

A fine club player ,and honest ,but dont kid yourself hes full of skill.He must be around 26 or so.He never stood out ,even with cork juniors,a good brave player,but never a top scorer.He has stamina to stay playing all day long,but thats not much good unless you can score.At least ten better forwards in the county at present.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement