Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    We do have a reasonable chance of beating the Dubs - nothing to be frightened of. IF we win - it is probably only going to prolong the inevitable loss to Kerry in Croker as CC had no tactical ability whatsoever and will lose us that game for sure.

Yeah it gets worse for us IF we do beat Dublin. Kerry would destroy us in semi final at Croke Park. Something i could live without seeing again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Amprodude wrote: »
    God help us on Saturday. As long its not a massacre and scoreline is respectable, i think i might be happy then. We dont deserve to be going any further under CC. Sorry lads but thats the way i feel about Cork football at the moment. If i have to eat my words after I will but very unlikely.

Id never go against Cork,but i can totally,see where your coming from.Tngt sickens me,as that team is a joke to start,and if is a dummy team,then its a joke.I have an awful feeling,kissane will replace loughrey or clancy.

Ffs,JBm doesnt do any bulls****.Names the team and gets on what on.

A fright to f**k,he still doesnt know hes team 3 days before they play a potenial all ireland winning team.

Ill go Sat night,but finding it hard to pay money and see the same mistakes ove and over again.

Yeah it gets worse for us IF we do beat Dublin. Kerry would destroy us in semi final at Croke Park. Something i could live without seeing again.
    Thats it,he would make a mess of it.Id rather Kerry beat Dublin ,if we dont beat them in the hurling.
    Im used to Kerry winning,couldn't take dublin doing the double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭m0ynihan

D'you know the way Counihan always acts like he doesn't have a clue in interviews? Saying stuff like 'sure yano, we'll just see what happens like'? I'm starting to think he's actually not acting..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

m0ynihan wrote: »
    D'you know the way Counihan always acts like he doesn't have a clue in interviews? Saying stuff like 'sure yano, we'll just see what happens like'? I'm starting to think he's actually not acting..

He's not acting, he's clueless and I've been saying it for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

He's not acting, he's clueless and I've been saying it for years.

I think that statement is a bit ott. Counihan was a fine tough centre back and was as cute as they come. I think some people over rate the talent Cork has based on U21 successes. Yes we have a good panel with strength in depth but 15 on 15 there is very little between most of the teams left in the championship.

Sometime with very talented players it's very hard for them to adjust to a defensive system as they like to play off the cuff. I think Cork will give the dubs a right good rattle and it will be very 50/50 which way it goes. I think 9/4 are very good odds on a cork win.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I think that statement is a bit ott. Counihan was a fine tough centre back and was as cute as they come. I think some people over rate the talent Cork has based on U21 successes. Yes we have a good panel with strength in depth but 15 on 15 there is very little between most of the teams left in the championship.

Sometime with very talented players it's very hard for them to adjust to a defensive system as they like to play off the cuff. I think Cork will give the dubs a right good rattle and it will be very 50/50 which way it goes. I think 9/4 are very good odds on a cork win.

Correct, he was as a player - but as a manager, which is of course totally different, he is clueless. I have lost track of how many situations in matches Obvious changes were needed and then he would make a Daft change instead. We have a team for the past number of years who have lost many a game not because of the Apparent strength of the U21's but because of Counihan's lack of tactical ability. Not seeing what a top manager would see. Not reacting like a top manager would.
    He might make some good choices, but even a broken clock is right twice a day - he does not have the skills to be a manager you can rely on when the heat is turned up- plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I think cork folk are harsh on counihan. Didn't he pick football up from the gutter there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

Rightwing wrote: »
    I think cork folk are harsh on counihan. Didn't he pick football up from the gutter there?

No

Rightwing wrote: »

No

• Advertisement

I think to call him a totally,clueless manager is fully justifed.I could open a new thread ,here ,and it would be full with all the mistakes he made.

Yes he took Cork on,but not from the gutter.He had talent coming through and guys that played in the 07,final.

From the gutter,is what JBM has done to Cork hurling.
    CC had a solid base.Billy Morgan would have won a lot more if he stayed.

He got a poor,poor Cork team to an all ireland final,and were only beaten by kerry during he's reign.
    Whatever about the players,their is no excuse to the playing of players out of position or the clueless match ups,like Canty on Sullivan,canty on armstrong,kissane on Danny Hughes for 55 minutes that nearly lost us the matc,and Kieran O connor to start the all ireland final,and then if it could not get worse,to play John Miskella in the confines of corner back.

Nobody disputes him as a player.But playing in the 90's and managing are worlds apart,ffs.

Larry tompkins was the most intelligent footballer we had,but totally clueless and out of he's depth as a manager for seven years.

Those guys if anything are still stuck in the old way they won all irelands.

Cork need a young coach in tune with the modern game,like the David power,Mick O Dowd, etc

Jim gavin may be older but full of fresh ideas.

If cork beat Dublin,it is a one off performance,where the character and heart of the players win it,but Kerry will beat us.

A bit like Munster against Harelquins,for all the fight and heart,when they got to the semi final,they had not the game plan or players to win it.

Its the same with Cork,we dont have the players because their on the bench.

Cork as Liam hayes and righty so said,in 2010,Cork were the worst team to win the all ireland,considering the way we played.He was heavily abused in Cork after it,but time has proven he was right.

Correct, he was as a player - but as a manager, which is of course totally different, he is clueless. I have lost track of how many situations in matches Obvious changes were needed and then he would make a Daft change instead. We have a team for the past number of years who have lost many a game not because of the Apparent strength of the U21's but because of Counihan's lack of tactical ability. Not seeing what a top manager would see. Not reacting like a top manager would.
    He might make some good choices, but even a broken clock is right twice a day - he does not have the skills to be a manager you can rely on when the heat is turned up- plain and simple.
    we won an all ireland based on power and pace,and we stumbled over the line.If i was not a cork man,i would have went for down,as they played football.

Rebel Fitz won at Galway.JBM owns a share in him.

Rebel Fitz won at Galway.JBM owns a share in him.

Everything he touches...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

What sort of following will Cork bring to the semi lads?

JBM seems to command respect and get the Cork people behind him and you usually have good numbers for the hurling and there was 40,000 at the Leinster final and throw in 10k or bandwagoners could be looking at 60k+.

Also what's this I hear about Kissane being put on Kilkenny for Saturday? Suicidal move if it happens.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    What sort of following will Cork bring to the semi lads?

JBM seems to command respect and get the Cork people behind him and you usually have good numbers for the hurling and there was 40,000 at the Leinster final and throw in 10k or bandwagoners could be looking at 60k+.

Also what's this I hear about Kissane being put on Kilkenny for Saturday? Suicidal move if it happens.

Hurling has always,got a big cork crowd when we even had poor managers,but the win sunday,added to the huge grattuide,respect and belief JBM has,and the fact its a 50-50 games,and the fact its Dublin,and a cracking atmosphere,their will be a huge cork crowd.

Those that cant afford both will choose hurling,as win our loose unlike the football,you are guranteed value for money.

Next thursday we will have corks team,no dummy team,thats adds to it.

A lot of cork fans today are unsure if counihan named a dummy team.I was sure thats the team to start.But on the radio today,he seemed to indicate cork finished with their strongest team.
    Kissane could very well start,just cause Loughrey had one bad game.

How many had kissane.

Its farcical and beyond a joke.He thought he finished with hes best team against kerry,yet they were as i said they would be shown up against Galway,and waited 55 minutes to make changes.

Counihan is capable of anything.He goes from pillar to post,and doesnt know he's a**e,from hes elbow in context of hes best team ,yet where two days from a game defining season.

It may seem harsh,or over the top,but its not,speaking to a lot of fans,they feel the same.

I feel,he has lost the dressing room,in that the players dont truly believe in him anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I think to call him a totally,clueless manager is fully justifed.I could open a new thread ,here ,and it would be full with all the mistakes he made.

Yes he took Cork on,but not from the gutter.He had talent coming through and guys that played in the 07,final.

From the gutter,is what JBM has done to Cork hurling.
    CC had a solid base.Billy Morgan would have won a lot more if he stayed.

He got a poor,poor Cork team to an all ireland final,and were only beaten by kerry during he's reign.
    Whatever about the players,their is no excuse to the playing of players out of position or the clueless match ups,like Canty on Sullivan,canty on armstrong,kissane on Danny Hughes for 55 minutes that nearly lost us the matc,and Kieran O connor to start the all ireland final,and then if it could not get worse,to play John Miskella in the confines of corner back.

Nobody disputes him as a player.But playing in the 90's and managing are worlds apart,ffs.

Larry tompkins was the most intelligent footballer we had,but totally clueless and out of he's depth as a manager for seven years.

Those guys if anything are still stuck in the old way they won all irelands.

Cork need a young coach in tune with the modern game,like the David power,Mick O Dowd, etc

Jim gavin may be older but full of fresh ideas.

If cork beat Dublin,it is a one off performance,where the character and heart of the players win it,but Kerry will beat us.

A bit like Munster against Harelquins,for all the fight and heart,when they got to the semi final,they had not the game plan or players to win it.

Its the same with Cork,we dont have the players because their on the bench.

Cork as Liam hayes and righty so said,in 2010,Cork were the worst team to win the all ireland,considering the way we played.He was heavily abused in Cork after it,but time has proven he was right.

I fully accept that being a fine player doesn't equate to being a good manager. I suppose my main point is that the quality that we have can be exaggerated. I'd have 5 of the starting kerry forwards over the lads we have.

I also believe Dublin are not the force some people are making them out to be and Meath showed just how ordinary they can be. Cork will be well up for this game and I am quietly confident we'll put up a very big performance.

I fully accept that being a fine player doesn't equate to being a good manager. I suppose my main point is that the quality that we have can be exaggerated. I'd have 5 of the starting kerry forwards over the lads we have.

I also believe Dublin are not the force some people are making them out to be and Meath showed just how ordinary they can be. Cork will be well up for this game and I am quietly confident we'll put up a very big performance.

And I can guarantee you they would not look as good as they are, as a direct result of the ball - or lack thereof - and tactics employed by Counihan !
    I would love to see how Kerry would perform if we swapped forward lines - I think they could be lethal!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

If Monaghan win the all Ireland there won't be any diesel washed for a month!:cool:

If Monaghan win the all Ireland there won't be any diesel washed for a month!:cool:

Cool story bro.

• Advertisement

You could have irelands greatest forwards in the county under CC,and he would make them poor.
    Cork don't need 5 forwards as good a kerry to win,what we need is a system,and manager to get the best out of the talent we have.

How many Donegal or mayo forwards would get on the kerry team,not many,but they play to a system that works.We don't.

Few of my good Kerry friends who know their football believe that Cork will take Dublin today. IMO I would find that very hard to believe, I don't think we are fast enough in the backs to stop the Dublin forward line. Again we wait and see but I do expect the game to be close enough on scoreboard with the Dubs pulling away in the last 10mins to win by 5 points.

Few of my good Kerry friends who know their football believe that Cork will take Dublin today. IMO I would find that very hard to believe, I don't think we are fast enough in the backs to stop the Dublin forward line. Again we wait and see but I do expect the game to be close enough on scoreboard with the Dubs pulling away in the last 10mins to win by 5 points.

I expect the opposite to happen. Dublin will be ahead at ht. Cork will slowly eat into their lead and score a late goal into the hill to win it...:D

The same as 2010 really...but it was into the canal end we scored our goal.

It is a hard one to call though. Dublin have a few fowards to sprng from the bench - something they didn't really have in 2010 and I am a firm believer that somebody from the bench will turn tonight's game..

I expect the opposite to happen. Dublin will be ahead at ht. Cork will slowly eat into their lead and score a late goal into the hill to win it...:D

The same as 2010 really...but it was into the canal end we scored our goal.

It is a hard one to call though. Dublin have a few fowards to sprng from the bench - something they didn't really have in 2010 and I am a firm believer that somebody from the bench will turn tonight's game..

I'd agree but crucially with Gavin ,Dublin will act sooner than Counihan and make the right changes.

I hope i'm wrong,but i expect a close ,hard fought game ,with the way the weather is,but us to be undone by poor management and be moaning here tonight,how we lost a game,we could have very well won.

I'd agree but crucially with Gavin ,Dublin will act sooner than Counihan and make the right changes.

I hope i'm wrong,but i expect a close ,hard fought game ,with the way the weather is,but us to be undone by poor management and be moaning here tonight,how we lost a game,we could have very well won.

I think we have a good chance of winning but that we could be having that very same conversation after the Kerry game - like we always do!

The only thing in Dublins case i would be worried about is they are the favourites. They are sometimes not comfortable in that position. In 2009 they were hot favourites against Kerry and didnt turn up. This could happen today as well. Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Counihan should do the right thing and resign.

Counihan should do the right thing and resign.

I wish.

We werent a million miles off the Dubs today but i said it here beforehand that Dublins pace would burn us and it did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

I think you were right about this one. As much as Dublin were ahead, I thought a few tweaks and we could win the game. But with Counihan, all he does is unload the bench.

Hopefully he steps down now.

Kissane and Alan O Connor were woeful.Why Paddy Kelly wasn't on pitch I will never know

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement