Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scatman carruthers

Who is Teddy Clifford?

Holland not Clifford

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

It may sound ironic and dont eat me alive but a Kerry manager with a record would deliver best results for Cork football.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

I would like to put forward the name of Thinkstoomuch

Who will second my nomination? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Amprodude wrote: »
    It may sound ironic and dont eat me alive but a Kerry manager with a record would deliver best results for Cork football.

I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

There;s no doubt the man knows his GAA. Could he handle our criticisms tho ? :pac:

• Advertisement

Certainly. He thinkstoomuch about the game and would certainly have a plan to beat each team. :-)

Jack o Connor or Jack o Shea wud command respect

The former would be a great choice, it would be a great move but CCB think they are above that.

Poor paidi o se god rest him aswellwoukd have been a decent manager for them, the board don't wanna to Down that route it seems,proud bastards are people in cork they rarely get a manager in from another county

Poor paidi o se god rest him aswellwoukd have been a decent manager for them, the board don't wanna to Down that route it seems,proud bastards are people in cork they rarely get a manager in from another county

I would love to see a Kerry manager with a proven record in. Pay him well to do a job. Could you imagine the rivarly between the two sides if such a thing was to happen.

• Advertisement

It'd be brilliant for the game. John o Mahony had no problems managing Galway I'm sure there's being a few games between managers managing against their own county

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

I propose Rebel Girl 15.She has posted that she has been involved with teams before,knows the rules inside out,is neither a fan or an enemy of the CCB,just calls a spade a spade.
    As proven by her views on Pat Horgan ,sending off,not afraid to be unpopular,if she believes in something.

And a referee too ,I think she said before,so added to that and her expierence of modertaor,discpline or communication should not be a problem.

And she seems like she has her Ear to the Ground with Cork GAA,and believes in direct fast play,and none of our old style,and being the first woman manager,instead of the whole country against Cork,we would have everybody supporting us,and we would fill our new stadium ten times over.

So thanks Corkonian for your vote of confidence but i'm not the man for the Job:-)

I would have said shamboc but he gambles and their may be a conflict of interest:-)

Jack o connor yes,jacko no.Was with mayo poor enough.

Ya he was a disaster there but that was because he didn't have the players there. That cork team thee today has an all Ireland in them . Good forwards there , they need to get rid of Canty first of all and blood some more youth next time, good team to work around the forward line is arguably the best in the country

The key key word besides no,to an outside man,is control.

The CCB want people they can control,an outside man ,with a proven record would nt give a f**k, about blowing any problems ie they arose.He would just walk.

And they know that two well.The only top boss outside cork in cork,is frank murphy ,a kilkenny man.

Ya he was a disaster there but that was because he didn't have the players there. That cork team thee today has an all Ireland in them . Good forwards there , they need to get rid of Canty first of all and blood some more youth next time, good team to work around the forward line is arguably the best in the country

It is not just the end of Counihan,but kissane-,canty,o leary,o connor,o neill,butcher, are all gone.

Doc should stay but may go.Its not all gloom.
    I had no hope today.i have hope.As donegal and JBM,proved,get the right man and system and anything is possible.

A bad captain sank the unsinkable Titantic,a great pilot landed a boeing in the Hudson.
    You get the right man in charge anything is possible.

For sure. Where has James Masters gone actually ,has he being playing well for Nemo lately

The next manager has to be a footballing man,no blankets.It dawned on me,the black card,next year will radically take the cyncism and defensively minded tactics out of the game.

The way Dublin play,is a joy to watch,and with kerry in a semifinal,there will be one pure footballing team in the final.

If either wins,the purists will be delighted,and will really put pressure on to make sure ,negative play is taken out of the game.

It will suit cork ,as our players are suited to good football.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Imagine if Jack O Connor was Cork's manager for the past 6 years.

I would take him quite happily for the next 6 years.

When will the Cork hurling team be named for the game next weekend and are there any changes expected to the team that faced Kilkenny?

I think Moylan should get his chance to start next weekend he did very well when he came on against Kilkenny. Very nervous about this game, I have a feeling we could get beaten and at the same time believe we can win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭lukin

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Imagine if Jack O Connor was Cork's manager for the past 6 years.

I would take him quite happily for the next 6 years.

No way.I couldn't stand the thought of one of "them" managing us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

lukin wrote: »
    How many Cork captains have you seen lift Sam?

Maybe seeing 2 or 3 more players lifting Sam might ease the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I dont care if Ian Paisley manages us if it meant few more Sams.

1 in 23 years is laughable for us.

When will the Cork hurling team be named for the game next weekend and are there any changes expected to the team that faced Kilkenny?

I think Moylan should get his chance to start next weekend he did very well when he came on against Kilkenny. Very nervous about this game, I have a feeling we could get beaten and at the same time believe we can win.
    Training in Croke park tngt i think,then tuesday and thursday,around 9,it be named.

Id nearly leave moylan on the bench.Lehane has been poor,but two points against KK,he will come good ,and i feel he will on sunday.

He may cause Hiney problems.

Sunday is a game we can win.Unlike yesterday and all week,where I wrote cork off,i give us every chance,as unlike counihan ,the team belives in JBM,and play to a system.

The key aeras,will be winning the clash with Rushe,and Keaney and Sutciffe here.It will be won and lost here.

Keaney is strong,a real presence,and a huge advantage in expierence over Joyce.

Kenny could do a job,but still not commanding enough under the high ball.
    Joyce,i have said should be a centre back.

However for such a vital game ,in croke park ,he lacks the expierence for keaney.Id swtich things up.Id have mcloughlin on keaney,joyce on sutciffe ,egan on dwyer.

We need total control at half back to win.That is dublins strongest line.Attack it head on.

Kenny won't be exposed for pace at midfield and he's expierence their and ability to play good ball in to the forwards will help.

Rushe an all star midfielder,will be too fast,and more mobile for Cronin at centre back.He needs to stay on the wing ,and keep dublin from isolating him.

Harnedy is the man for rushe.All he needs to do is,work hard,fight for every ball and if he doesn't win it,at least harase Rushe,that he can not deliver ,fast quick ball.

Harnedy is the man.He has the hurling,has the engine,can win ball in the air and in the ground,but also has pace ,that rushe has to follow him everywhere.

Harnedy should drag him all over the place.He does not need to dominate Rushe,break even will do.

Harnedy,i have every faith in.The guy has the temperament,and will work all day.
    Timmy Mac gave a superb,running display from midfield in croke park in 99,i feel harnedy will do like wise.

Jamie coughlan worked at times against Brian Hogan,as he had pace,and cork created a mismatch.

The same wont apply against Rushe as he has it all.What you must do,is try and keep him busy.Harnedy has the strength,unlike coughlan,to compete under the high ball.

Yesterdays win for Dublin will put huge pressure on them now,as Dublin expect the double,and nobody wants to be the team to that stopped that.

In 99,i remember the cork footballers,saying afterwards,that will they talked it down,the fact the hurlers won,and it was a inexpierenced football team with no all ireland medals winners,playing 2 weeks after the hurlers,and the footballers were seen as the poor relations,put a huge burden on them.

Unlike in 1990,when the footballers,were going for the double,they had broken their duck,and won the previous year,while contesting the last three finals.

Dublin are still seen as the poor relations to the -footballers,and like cork in 99,they will have a huge burden and weight of expectation,and like cork in 99 in the football,dont have a team hardened with all ireland winners.

How they react will be crucial.Cork have no pressure in comparison,and unlike Dublin,have not dominated any game for 70 minutes.Their is a big game in cork.

It will be close,and we could loose,but im confident we will give it a good rattle.

Its a lot better than what expected,in the lead up to the football.

I dont care if Ian Paisley manages us if it meant few more Sams.

1 in 23 years is laughable for us.
    Whats worse is its expected ,and justfied in the local,media,as we never won them football,lost more than won.

That attuide must change,and ruthless decisions must be made.

This rubbish,you win all ireland,you automically get a new term should be looked at.The all ireland win must be looked at face value,and can the new manager take you and the team to another level.

Cody when asked was that the end of the era,and he rightly so said if that means the end of KK teams being competitve,then questions must be asked.

He like before,will change and come back stronger.

People talk about Counihan and history will reflect better on him.
    Im sorry,but it won't.No win in killarney,countless big games lost against the big three,and the most awful tactical decisions repeating themselves over and over again,and the refusal to accept the Need or embrace change,and the woeful treatment of some players,where he constantly picked he's favourites,and then played them out of position to facilate them.

Only tyrone in 09,did he get spot on.We fell over the line in 2010,and since then have been beaten by the top three.
    It is very hard to watch any of Cork games in 2010,as we were horrible to watch.

lukin wrote: »

It would be better than seeing Cork not performing each year.

Training in Croke park tngt i think,then tuesday and thursday,around 9,it be named.

Id nearly leave moylan on the bench.Lehane has been poor,but two points against KK,he will come good ,and i feel he will on sunday.

He may cause Hiney problems.

Sunday is a game we can win.Unlike yesterday and all week,where I wrote cork off,i give us every chance,as unlike counihan ,the team belives in JBM,and play to a system.

The key aeras,will be winning the clash with Rushe,and Keaney and Sutciffe here.It will be won and lost here.

Keaney is strong,a real presence,and a huge advantage in expierence over Joyce.

Kenny could do a job,but still not commanding enough under the high ball.
    Joyce,i have said should be a centre back.

However for such a vital game ,in croke park ,he lacks the expierence for keaney.Id swtich things up.Id have mcloughlin on keaney,joyce on sutciffe ,egan on dwyer.

We need total control at half back to win.That is dublins strongest line.Attack it head on.

Kenny won't be exposed for pace at midfield and he's expierence their and ability to play good ball in to the forwards will help.

Rushe an all star midfielder,will be too fast,and more mobile for Cronin at centre back.He needs to stay on the wing ,and keep dublin from isolating him.

Harnedy is the man for rushe.All he needs to do is,work hard,fight for every ball and if he doesn't win it,at least harase Rushe,that he can not deliver ,fast quick ball.

Harnedy is the man.He has the hurling,has the engine,can win ball in the air and in the ground,but also has pace ,that rushe has to follow him everywhere.

Harnedy should drag him all over the place.He does not need to dominate Rushe,break even will do.

Harnedy,i have every faith in.The guy has the temperament,and will work all day.
    Timmy Mac gave a superb,running display from midfield in croke park in 99,i feel harnedy will do like wise.

Jamie coughlan worked at times against Brian Hogan,as he had pace,and cork created a mismatch.

The same wont apply against Rushe as he has it all.What you must do,is try and keep him busy.Harnedy has the strength,unlike coughlan,to compete under the high ball.

Yesterdays win for Dublin will put huge pressure on them now,as Dublin expect the double,and nobody wants to be the team to that stopped that.

In 99,i remember the cork footballers,saying afterwards,that will they talked it down,the fact the hurlers won,and it was a inexpierenced football team with no all ireland medals winners,playing 2 weeks after the hurlers,and the footballers were seen as the poor relations,put a huge burden on them.

Unlike in 1990,when the footballers,were going for the double,they had broken their duck,and won the previous year,while contesting the last three finals.

Dublin are still seen as the poor relations to the -footballers,and like cork in 99,they will have a huge burden and weight of expectation,and like cork in 99 in the football,dont have a team hardened with all ireland winners.

How they react will be crucial.Cork have no pressure in comparison,and unlike Dublin,have not dominated any game for 70 minutes.Their is a big game in cork.

It will be close,and we could loose,but im confident we will give it a good rattle.

Its a lot better than what expected,in the lead up to the football.

We really need to see more out of Pa Cronin, Luke, Coughlan and Lehane next day. If they were to perform they would really rattle Dublin.

Worries for Cork are they pacey enough for Dublin?, they should be fit enough I think. Matthews doing great work there.

Worries for Dublin are that they haven't got to an All Ireland in decades. The weight of expectation might get to them.

Are we seeing 1999 again with this team? We wait and see.

If Cork get through this test, they will be hard to stop.

It would be better than seeing Cork not performing each year.

We have lots of young talent,and a lot of these guys have no baggage with kerry.Kerry don't have the same talent coming through.A lot of the old guys are gone,and we have footballers,pure talent,to build a new era.

Cuthbert or cleary can do a job.The selectors coudnt do much as counihan had the casting vote.I woke up this morning,with a sense of hope and relief for cork football.

Kerry minors beaten by tyrone in e time.Delighted,it was a joke they got this far.

We have lots of young talent,and a lot of these guys have no baggage with kerry.Kerry don't have the same talent coming through.A lot of the old guys are gone,and we have footballers,pure talent,to build a new era.

Cuthbert or cleary can do a job.The selectors coudnt do much as counihan had the casting vote.I woke up this morning,with a sense of hope and relief for cork football.

Kerry minors beaten by tyrone in e time.Delighted,it was a joke they got this far.

Wouldn't have confidence in Cleary, he has lost with good u21 teams before.

• Advertisement

We really need to see more out of Pa Cronin, Luke, Coughlan and Lehane next day. If they were to perform they would really rattle Dublin.

Worries for Cork are they pacey enough for Dublin?, they should be fit enough I think. Matthews doing great work there.

Worries for Dublin are that they haven't got to an All Ireland in decades. The weight of expectation might get to them.

Are we seeing 1999 again with this team? We wait and see.

Our team is built on pace,what we need and the signs are good,a dry day.

Hiney is not the fastest.Keaney lost yard since the motor bike accident when he done the cruciate ,a bit like Justin mccarthy in the 60's.

Schutte done a cruciate against limerick in doon last year,i was at it.

He can be turned also.Dublin lost the momentum,can they repeat the leinster final.

We havent played for a game yet,but have improved with every game.

Cronin is flying in training,so is Lorchan,their much fitter than two weeks ago.Murphy likely to be on the panel,so that is a big boost to cork.

Luke needs to stay away from the papers,id ban him for the week.He is beginning to believe the hype.Last year he was on rte,and in the echo,with big profiles on him.He didnt hit a ball against Galway.

Cronin,kenny,o neill are the only ones that should talk to media.When you win your all ireland,they will be no problem in talking to the media.JBM was at the football last night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement