Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Rightwing wrote: »
    Well done Cork. Basically wiped the floor with KK. JBM outsmarted Cody.

I'm afraid it's Cork's all ireland to lose now.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Well done Cork. Basically wiped the floor with KK. JBM outsmarted Cody.

I'm afraid it's Cork's all ireland to lose now.

Definety not,any team on any given day can beat each other.

If we beat Dublin id rather Limerick.Clare be hard to beat twpgpce,like wise limerick ,i dont think would beat us twice.

Ye would have a better chance,with Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Martin567

Why mention Kelly,then if it shoudnt take from our win.

Bitter KK men,who make comments like that,make this win sweeter than all the rest.

The fact is me included believed we wont win the all ireland this year at the start of the year.Even after yesterday,i did not say we would.

We can beat Dublin but it will be very hard.

Whatever happens,from where Cork hurling is at ,a dire underage structure,partially funded development squads,a five year hurling plan that relies too much on already over burdened Volunteers,missing 7 key players from last year,no all ireland underage winner yesterday,from where we came from to beat KK ,and out hurl them ,makes this year a huge success.

I want all irelands but when you seer our problems,and failure by our board to acknowlege them,to knock KK out is up their with winning an all ireland.

JBM on hes own is practially keeping Cork hurling alive,as a hammering yesterday,and we would loose more players to the football.

Beaten fair and square by the better team yesterday.

That's just silly. Nobody has said Cork were anything other than by far the better team yesterday. That doesn't change the fact that Barry Kelly was awful. How could any Kilkenny person, or neutral for that matter, discuss the match and not mention the referee? If things had been the other way around yesterday, I doubt if Barry Kelly would have been anything other than the first topic of conversation with Cork supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Definety not,any team on any given day can beat each other.

If we beat Dublin id rather Limerick.Clare be hard to beat twpgpce,like wise limerick ,i dont think would beat us twice.

Ye would have a better chance,with Dublin.

After the munster final i knew ye'd every chance of beating KK. I hope the dubs can somehow beat ye, we'd have a better chance against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Why mention Kelly,then if it shoudnt take from our win.

It shouldn't take from your win because you were still the better team and deserved to win. We weren't robbed, is all I'm saying (though plenty of KK fans will claim we were robbed, my point is simply that they are wrong). If you want to believe that makes me a "bitter" KK man, then fine, it means that I was wrong when I said in another thread that I would think of you as being a good fan from a county I have huge respect for and would always wish well to (as I had said, I think hurling needs a strong Cork if its to thrive). Must have overestimated you. I take it back, enjoy your gloating and I hope Dublin put some manners on you.

• Advertisement

Martin567 wrote: »
    That's just silly. Nobody has said Cork were anything other than by far the better team yesterday. That doesn't change the fact that Barry Kelly was awful. How could any Kilkenny person, or neutral for that matter, discuss the match and not mention the referee? If things had been the other way around yesterday, I doubt if Barry Kelly would have been anything other than the first topic of conversation with Cork supporters.

You are a geuine die hard fan.I see that by your posts,so idont want ,stick the knife in.All im saying is KK , righty or wrongly cant argue about refs,when be fair,ye have came out a lot better with calls than ye have got bad calls etc.

All the talk about Cork rough play,is madness,ye are well able to play it rough.Don't sound like Jim mcguiness,the whole world is now against ye.

Ye have graced unreal heights,ye dont need to stoop so low.

We were undone by Kelly against Waterford in 2007,when Cusack was wrongly penalised.It happens to evey team,KK just need to accept it happened to them,and man up,and accept ye are far from angels either.

What is good for the goose,is good for the gander,in all due respect.

It shouldn't take from your win because you were still the better team and deserved to win. We weren't robbed, is all I'm saying (though plenty of KK fans will claim we were robbed, my point is simply that they are wrong). If you want to believe that makes me a "bitter" KK man, then fine, it means that I was wrong when I said in another thread that I would think of you as being a good fan from a county I have huge respect for and would always wish well to (as I had said, I think hurling needs a strong Cork if its to thrive). Must have overestimated you. I take it back, enjoy your gloating and I hope Dublin put some manners on you.

No body is gloating,but to hear KK cry wolf,makes me want to play the violin.

KK cant run with the hare and chase with the hound,when it suits,in relation to referees,or as Cody says the Manly stuff.

No body is gloating,but to hear KK cry wolf,makes me want to play the violin.

KK cant run with the hare and chase with the hound,when it suits,in relation to referees,or as Cody says the Manly stuff.

Grand so, I did overestimate you. When someone pays you a compliment, you throw it back in their face. Best of luck, you don't deserve the team (and certainly not the manager) that you have. Maybe you'll learn to win, and take praise, gracefully at some stage.

Dublin beating us cant take from yesterday,believe me.

Dublin beating us cant take from yesterday,believe me.

That's understandable. Beating Tipp was as good as any All Ireland this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Cork to beat Dublin in the hurling and lose to them in the football.

To see how much it means to Cork or any team to beat ye,is just a true reflection on how a great team ye were.

The greatest team ever withoubt a doubt.It pains me as a cork man to say it,but its a fact.You could only admire them.

Fair play lad. I should probably stop looking for rows with Cork men and do some work. Long summer ahead you see.

Fair play lad. I should probably stop looking for rows with Cork men and do some work. Long summer ahead you see.

Theres always respect between us.Sure isnt Michael fennelly helping Colm O Neill in hes rehab,from the cruciate.It says it all.

Hard men on the field,gentlemen off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Martin567

You are a geuine die hard fan.I see that by your posts,so idont want ,stick the knife in.All im saying is KK , righty or wrongly cant argue about refs,when be fair,ye have came out a lot better with calls than ye have got bad calls etc.

All the talk about Cork rough play,is madness,ye are well able to play it rough.Don't sound like Jim mcguiness,the whole world is now against ye.

Ye have graced unreal heights,ye dont need to stoop so low.

We were undone by Kelly against Waterford in 2007,when Cusack was wrongly penalised.It happens to evey team,KK just need to accept it happened to them,and man up,and accept ye are far from angels either.

What is good for the goose,is good for the gander,in all due respect.

I don't think anyone complained about Cork rough play or any other aspect of their approach yesterday. We're simply pointing out that it should have been 15v15 or 14v14 for the second half yesterday. The ref should apply the rules for both sides.

I certainly don't agree with you about Kilkenny coming out the better side of ref's calls over recent years. That's laughable to be honest but nothing to do with this thread.

I thought Cork bullied KK yesterday. But KK have done this for years. What surprised me was how easily they were bullied.

I thought Cork bullied KK yesterday. But KK have done this for years. What surprised me was how easily they were bullied.
    Its only natural,the fight and heart for battle was gone yesterday after so long at the top,but the break will do them the world of good.
    God help those that draw them ,first round of Leinster next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Rebel Fan

Grand so, I did overestimate you. When someone pays you a compliment, you throw it back in their face. Best of luck, you don't deserve the team (and certainly not the manager) that you have. Maybe you'll learn to win, and take praise, gracefully at some stage.

That's a bit unfair now lad, we do deserve the team that's there, JBM is a Cork legend, up there with Ring IMO. Took the job when probably no one else wanted it, has ditched the older players, Tom Kenny apart and started from scratch. Cork hurling has been destroyed from within for years but now we have a young team, great coach and back room team and with the fans roaring them on we're back in the running again.
    No one can deny this Kilkenny team are the greatest of all time, I consider myself fortunate to have witnessed them in action for years. But it looks like a few will walk away now, they owe nothing to anybody and the sooner they're in the hall of fame the better.
    Just been on the GAA website and tickets bought for semi final, 50 Euro for an adult and 2 children very good value, wouldn't be surprised if there was 70000+ at the match. I do think we have a great chance, Dublin are a serious team but we have a very tight defence now and forwards I think we have the potential to do serious damage. Only worry is our inability to get goals, we'll need a couple in the semis if we're gona make the 2nd Sunday in September. IN JBM WE TRUST!!!
    CORCAIGH ABU!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

MfMan wrote: »
    Oddly enough, ye have a great chance against KK as they are in fair decline and Cork are a bit better than they may realise. (LK only took control against the 14 men in the closing stages remember). Cork have the tradition and Horgan's availability is a bonus but they must believe. Beat KK and you have a decent chance v. the Dubs. Who knows, it could be a Galway / Cork final!! Actually, I'd back Cork to reach the final sooner than a totally off-form Galway at present.

As for the footballers, our win over Armagh has given the team a great morale and confidence boost but it's hard to see them matching the physical power of Cork, Counihan not withstanding.

As predicted, (well the Cork bit anyway.) I predict Lotto numbers for small renumeration also.

Rebel Fan wrote: »
    That's a bit unfair now lad, we do deserve the team that's there, JBM is a Cork legend, up there with Ring IMO. Took the job when probably no one else wanted it, has ditched the older players, Tom Kenny apart and started from scratch. Cork hurling has been destroyed from within for years but now we have a young team, great coach and back room team and with the fans roaring them on we're back in the running again.
    No one can deny this Kilkenny team are the greatest of all time, I consider myself fortunate to have witnessed them in action for years. But it looks like a few will walk away now, they owe nothing to anybody and the sooner they're in the hall of fame the better.
    Just been on the GAA website and tickets bought for semi final, 50 Euro for an adult and 2 children very good value, wouldn't be surprised if there was 70000+ at the match. I do think we have a great chance, Dublin are a serious team but we have a very tight defence now and forwards I think we have the potential to do serious damage. Only worry is our inability to get goals, we'll need a couple in the semis if we're gona make the 2nd Sunday in September. IN JBM WE TRUST!!!
    CORCAIGH ABU!!!!!!!!!!
    Bit of an over-reaction on my part alright, and I took it back. All I meant was I came here to wish Cork well, felt a bit pi$$ed off that the response was that I was clearly a bitter KK man, which is complete bullsh1t.

Dunno if the crowd will be as big as you're expecting, but definitely it will be big alright, now that KK are out every team will legitimately feel it's their year. If the Dubs wont come out and support them now, then hurling will never take hold in Dublin's popular imagination.

Its only natural,the fight and heart for battle was gone yesterday after so long at the top,but the break will do them the world of good.
    God help those that draw them ,first round of Leinster next year.

Not so sure, their era is over and they are now in the pack. Galway going into the Leinster was what we all needed, makes it a more level playing field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Dublin man in peace;

Happy enough you won yesterday, beating KK twice in a year is a big ask and Cork don't have the aura Kilkenny have about them still.

That said it'll be a tough game for both teams.

Think the game will be won or lost in the Harmedy/Rushe and Horgan/Kelly individual battles. If they give us the kind of roasting they gave KK yesterday we're in trouble.

Peter Kelly has become a hell of a full back and Rushe has been a revelation at No.6. Should be some battle, here's to a great game and a good crowd.

I fancy us in the football, being at the match on Saturday it was clear Counihan doesn't really know what he's doing and I don't think the players play for him. Think we'll come through by a few points.

Bit of an over-reaction on my part alright, and I took it back. All I meant was I came here to wish Cork well, felt a bit pi$$ed off that the response was that I was clearly a bitter KK man, which is complete bullsh1t.

Dunno if the crowd will be as big as you're expecting, but definitely it will be big alright, now that KK are out every team will legitimately feel it's their year. If the Dubs wont come out and support them now, then hurling will never take hold in Dublin's popular imagination.

I take that back,if i offended you by being bitter,my apologies.
    At the end of the day,KK will be back,wont be waiting seven years without a title,they have unlike us ,a chairman in Ned Quinn and too many hurling men,that wont allow that happen.

Yesterday,will make them stronger,where as our win ,will be seen by the CCB,as an excuse like the 2005 win that Cork hurling is in a perfect place when were not at all.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Dublin man in peace;

Happy enough you won yesterday, beating KK twice in a year is a big ask and Cork don't have the aura Kilkenny have about them still.

That said it'll be a tough game for both teams.

Think the game will be won or lost in the Harmedy/Rushe and Horgan/Kelly individual battles. If they give us the kind of roasting they gave KK yesterday we're in trouble.

Peter Kelly has become a hell of a full back and Rushe has been a revelation at No.6. Should be some battle, here's to a great game and a good crowd.

I fancy us in the football, being at the match on Saturday it was clear Counihan doesn't really know what he's doing and I don't think the players play for him. Think we'll come through by a few points.
    It will be sum battle.Dublins problem could be no game for a month and have lost the momentum where we now have it.

Injuries will play a big factor in the game,i hope we cancel our club games next weekend as we have a weak panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

That's understandable. Beating Tipp was as good as any All Ireland this year.

Would you say Daithi Regan was spot on in yesterdays sindo when he said ye were an ignorant lot?

Yesterday was brillant,...words fail to do it justice.

I was sad to hear the clock strike 12,as it was the dawn of a new day.I did not want the 28th of july to end.

Nash was superb.Unless he concedes 3 goals against Dublin,he has the all star in the bag.Quaid has been solid,Nash has been spectulacar.

O Neill was immense,well able to break the tackle,cleaned ball after ball up,and should of been in the frame for man of the match.

Mcdonnell was good,a lot of hurling,but i still remain to be convinced he is a full back,in the dominant safety first mode.

Conor o Sullivan,excellent,a very tidy hurler,in contention for an all star.One of the positives of the last strike.

Kenny was very good.I was wrong,he survived,and hes expierence is needed in C park.

Joyce at last at CB.superb under the high ball,and relished the physicality.He ran at KK and believed he was good enough to do it.This kid is a future captain of Cork.

Egan superb,great paw,physically competed,and a beautful striker of the ball.

Mcloughlin superb,tenacious,tired in the end.I still think he is a better half back.

Kearney coverd every blade of thurles,really took the game to them in the first 20,and a superb engine and intelligent hurler.In contention for an all star,based on the three games.Our new Jerry O' Connor.

Lehane never gave up,great point but only half the player he can be.He is trying to force it too much.He will come good,and Croke park could make him.

Harnedy was superb.In contention for an all star. He never took a backward step,won at least five puckouts,fought for every ball,and chased and closed down KK backs all day.

For the first time since 04 and Niall Mccarthy,I saw a Cork Cf hold hes own against them ,and Hogan and joyce had a tough day.
    This guy has the work rate and aggression of Niall Mac,the pace ,athleticism and honest endevaour and free spirit of Timmy mac,and in time will have the finishing of Tomas mulchay.He is not just a grafter,but a hurler as well.

Cronin,very good in spells,but awful first touch and shooting at times,will be better though.

Coughlan worked all day,a super point,will cut loose sum day.

Horgan deserved man of the match.He showed a hunger,work rate,and leadership to match hes skill.JBM has at last got the best from him.

Luke o farell,good workrate,good point,lacking confidence,but our main goal threat.Needs to find the form of last year.

We need a big game from him in Croke Park.

Moylan,a good point and created a lovely point,has a super touch,and a good sub to have.

Would you say Daithi Regan was spot on in yesterdays sindo when he said ye were an ignorant lot?

Seems irrelevant to this thread, but no, I would say Daithi Regan was wrong.

Agree about the question of momentum. Dublin were steaming ahead and if anything the games being week after week was contributing to their growing confidence. I hope they can get back to that level but it's true enough, Cork have all the momentum going in. On paper Dublin look a bit better, but if it was all done on paper Cork would have been out of the championship weeks ago.

Seems irrelevant to this thread, but no, I would say Daithi Regan was wrong.

Agree about the question of momentum. Dublin were steaming ahead and if anything the games being week after week was contributing to their growing confidence. I hope they can get back to that level but it's true enough, Cork have all the momentum going in. On paper Dublin look a bit better, but if it was all done on paper Cork would have been out of the championship weeks ago.
    yeah it is toss of a coin.Both teams are evens.

We need a dry day now.More than likely Cork will train at C park before then,probably sunday eveining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

Absolutely massive day yday, still thrilled at it. I said on here that I didn't think we had a prayer and I just put it down to a supposed lack of physicality being their undoing. To a man, they proved me wrong:)
    We out fought and out hurled a team of champions, played to the edge and yes over the edge at times but considering where hurling has dropped to here this was a massive lift. Delighted for lads like Hoggie and Cronin yday.
    That all being said lads all this talk of all Ireland's has to stop, in my humble opinion, I mean some of us on here are getting a small bit carried away with ourselves. This championship, brilliant for hurling that it's been, is full of young talented teams with good managers and like us are hungry as hell.
    Enjoy the hell out of yday for what it was but there's feck all silverware won. Keep the heads down and drive on.

Horse84 wrote: »
    Absolutely massive day yday, still thrilled at it. I said on here that I didn't think we had a prayer and I just put it down to a supposed lack of physicality being their undoing. To a man, they proved me wrong:)
    We out fought and out hurled a team of champions, played to the edge and yes over the edge at times but considering where hurling has dropped to here this was a massive lift. Delighted for lads like Hoggie and Cronin yday.
    That all being said lads all this talk of all Ireland's has to stop, in my humble opinion, I mean some of us on here are getting a small bit carried away with ourselves. This championship, brilliant for hurling that it's been, is full of young talented teams with good managers and like us are hungry as hell.
    Enjoy the hell out of yday for what it was but there's feck all silverware won. Keep the heads down and drive on.

Agree totally.

Just when things were good,a right spanner in the works in todays Echo.

Our Secretary,who has not been heard of in a month,comes out and says their is no problem in Cork Hurling, and its blown out of proportion.

Young hurlers are still coming through.That is the nail in the coffin ,in regards Ger Fitz or Pat Kenneally get new terms.

What a joke.I feared this would happen, and it is,yesterday will brush over our problems.

A joke it is.

No sign of Frank when we are relegated or after the minor and U21 shambles.We win,and suddenly he has all the answers.

One step forward,ten steps back.

• Advertisement

Horse84 wrote: »

I think ye have it in the bag.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement