Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭eire_245

bloody hell they are a lot closer than previous years, one point really is the difference now!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

wow I never thought Id see RCSI lower than 60 or UCD down to 57! Points dropping every year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭EngDoc

Sweet...first choice came through, UCD @ 59.

Just checked 5min ago. Waited all morning for the postman and when he finally came there wasn't even a letter from the CAO!

UCD/RCSI Open Days: "The most difficult part of studying medicine is getting into the course."

Not sure if that's true, but I'm glad I won't have to sit that GAMSAT exam again!

wow I never thought Id see RCSI lower than 60 or UCD down to 57! Points dropping every year

the points should be independent every year as your only competing with candidates from that year. the scores were obviously lower this year as the slight math focus/ no clac rule and lack of o-chem threw a lot of people id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeadEight

UL 54*
    UCC 56*
    UCD 57*
    RCSI 59*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭spotsanddots

Still in a state of disbelief that I got Limerick!

Still in a state of disbelief that I got Limerick!

enjoy my friend! the hard work starts now! :D

eire_245 wrote: »
    enjoy my friend! the hard work starts now! :D

I feel like I need an email from Limerick or something! So I know for definite!

posted back in May FTW

I heard people got into UL with a score of 50 last year but that is more than likely is just idle speculation. Its at 56 on the UL website because Id imagine they want to be taken semi seriously and they get a hard enough time as it is without giving people more ammunition.

This is my opinion on the curve (by no means definite ;) )

if you came in the 90th percentile you will get your first choice so anyone with a 60+ is laughing.

Now based on the curve distribution and taking into account the amount of places available its the top 25% that will get in so a score of 56 is required. However not everyone with a score of 56+ will accept their place - some will resit to get a preffered college. In that case being in the top 40% MIGHT get you in i.e. a score of 54.

No disrespect to UL but more people reject that college than any other so People sitting on 54 that want UL will probably have to hope others reject it so a spot opens up. It didnt happen in the first few years but the emerging stories over the last while mean more people have repeated instead of going there meaning lower scores get in.

Really best of luck to everyone hoping for a spot and congrats on the great results

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nats89

can't remember how it works but if I accept my offer for UL can I still get an offer in the next round if UCD drops by 1 point ? Or is it that once you've accepted an offer you won't be considered in the next round?

• Advertisement

nats89 wrote: »
    can't remember how it works but if I accept my offer for UL can I still get an offer in the next round if UCD drops by 1 point ? Or is it that once you've accepted an offer you won't be considered in the next round?

nope you can accept, and still accept the better offer if it comes through! what are you sitting on?

nats89 wrote: »

accept whatever you have at the moment if a higher preference becomes available you will be contacted by the CAO

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nats89

Great! Delighted I got a place anywhere with 56. Doing the GAMSAT on a whim paid off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

the points should be independent every year as your only competing with candidates from that year.
    nope. Gamsat scores are valid for 2 years. So you are not only competing with candidates from that year.
    the scores were obviously lower this year as the slight math focus/ no clac rule and lack of o-chem threw a lot of people id imagine.
    Cutoffs and scores aren't down at all on last year. Well not for RCSI or UL (can't remember the other two). EDIT - RCSI down by 1.
    And I saw the curve when the results came out and compared it to last year, and it was pretty much the same.

jtsuited wrote: »
    nope. Gamsat scores are valid for 2 years. So you are not only competing with candidates from that year.

Cutoffs and scores aren't down at all on last year. Well not for RCSI or UL (can't remember the other two).
    And I saw the curve when the results came out and compared it to last year, and it was pretty much the same.

I remember emailing Limerick early in the year and they said that round 0 for Limerick last year was 57?!

I remember emailing Limerick early in the year and they said that round 0 for Limerick last year was 57?!

ha. no. that was not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SmileyRK

Absolutely DELIGHTED that I got into Limerick, seems as if I'll be seeing a good few of ye there ;)

here are the Round 0 cutoffs for 2011.
    http://www2.cao.ie/points/GraduateMedicine2011-Round-0.pdf

SmileyRK wrote: »
    Absolutely DELIGHTED that I got into Limerick, seems as if I'll be seeing a good few of ye there ;)

:D

jtsuited wrote: »
    ha. no. that was not the case.

Paragraph from the email I received from UL!

The GAMSAT score will vary from year to year. For entry to the programme this academic year (2010-11) the cut off score was 54* (asterisk means not everyone on 54 has been offered a place). Entry to the programme last year the first round of offers went to individuals scoring 57 or higher. However, this was not the cut off score as a number of students did not accept their first round offers. The year before the initial round of offers went to students scoring 60 and higher.

Maybe it wasn't true. I dunno :)

• Advertisement

The GAMSAT score will vary from year to year. For entry to the programme this academic year (2010-11) the cut off score was 54* (asterisk means not everyone on 54 has been offered a place). Entry to the programme last year the first round of offers went to individuals scoring 57 or higher. However, this was not the cut off score as a number of students did not accept their first round offers. The year before the initial round of offers went to students scoring 60 and higher.

UL telling a few white lies! haha

wow. that is either a flat out lie or a serious mis-recollection.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Nanorman

Congratulations to all, I just woke up again! haha. So happy, I'll see you guys in Cork, I was praying Cork wasn't going to shoot up to 60+ with the loan situation/living expenses :P Just confirmed my apartment!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Karlheinz1987

Limerick here I come :) Congrats to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Off to UCC, absolutely fcuking thrilled, see some of you there very soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gracek105

Anybody know how to find out if a lot of people got UCD on random selection? I emailed the admissions office and I'm hoping they get back to me soon. I got 57 but didn't get offered UCD and I'd just like to know if I have any chance of getting in on the next round (I doubt I do though)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 arzieparzie

Yay I'll be seeing some of you in Limerick!!

gracek105 wrote: »
    Anybody know how to find out if a lot of people got UCD on random selection? I emailed the admissions office and I'm hoping they get back to me soon. I got 57 but didn't get offered UCD and I'd just like to know if I have any chance of getting in on the next round (I doubt I do though)

im in the same boat too on 57 and didnt get an offer! im not going to hold my breath as i cant see many turning down UCD. Im pretty happy with UL as i loved it from the open day so im looking forward to it. what was your next choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭cliona88

I would be interested to see If many people got into ul with 54. Did anyone here not get in with that score? Does anyone know the date for 2nd round offers? I got 53 so i wasn't really expecting anything! Well done to everyone who got in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭EugeneOnegin

Well done everyone! Now let the onslaught of graduate medicine begin :D
    All you UCC folks there’s a facebook group for the class of 2016 https://www.facebook.com/groups/238966992870758/

You can join up and link in with your North American classmates and the students in the year ahead- great resource for questions/queries etc.

Feel free to pm me if you wish (though I’m not a peer support leader :eek:)

Congrats again!

Advertisement