Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SmileyRK

cliona88 wrote: »
    I would be interested to see If many people got into ul with 54. Did anyone here not get in with that score? Does anyone know the date for 2nd round offers? I got 53 so i wasn't really expecting anything! Well done to everyone who got in

I currently know 3 people that got in with a 54 and 1 with a 55 so there's hope for you yet. i'd say second round offers will be widespread especially with people picking multiple institutions, the fact that UCD has dropped 2 points and also the financial situation and the difficulty of getting loans. I have my fingers crossed for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭EngDoc

Out of interest, for those of you who got the places you were hoping for...how are you going to celebrate tonight?

I'm at a bit of a loss now...can't really think of anything cool.

Maybe a fancy cigar would help... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭eire_245

EngDoc wrote: »
    Out of interest, for those of you who got the places you were hoping for...how are you going to celebrate tonight?

I'm at a bit of a loss now...can't really think of anything cool.

Maybe a fancy cigar would help... :P

im going to start by handing in my notice at lunch time and then maybe sit at my desk drinking champagne and smoking cigars for the rest of the day! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gracek105

eire_245 wrote: »
    im in the same boat too on 57 and didnt get an offer! im not going to hold my breath as i cant see many turning down UCD. Im pretty happy with UL as i loved it from the open day so im looking forward to it. what was your next choice?

My next choice was ul too. I did't go down on the open day but I just went to have a look around the campus during the summer and I thought it all seemed so nice. Hopefully the new med school will open this year too!
    I kinda wanna know about the UCD places just out of interest.

gracek105 wrote: »
    My next choice was ul too. I did't go down on the open day but I just went to have a look around the campus during the summer and I thought it all seemed so nice. Hopefully the new med school will open this year too!
    I kinda wanna know about the UCD places just out of interest.

yea i think it will be open this year, i think im just going to forget about it until the next round as it would kill me if i found out i was the only person that didnt get in, in the end! lol

congrats anyways!

• Advertisement

eire_245 wrote: »
    im going to start by handing in my notice at lunch time and then maybe sit at my desk drinking champagne and smoking cigars for the rest of the day! haha

Classy...I like it! :)

lz0Ej.jpg

luckily enough i actually have my top hat and monocle with me today! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Ok this is seriously nerve racking, I have a score of 56, the CAO sent me the letter saying my application was ok and I still dont have any offer on my CAO account. And Im in Mallorca so away from all my information (tho I suppose I could be in a worse place to be stressed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

Congrats to all on the offers.
    Future RCSI martyrs, here's your facebook group. http://www.facebook.com/groups/287864331299441/
    The first 10 weeks will be hellish, but somewhat enjoyable. The rest is more enjoyable than hellish.

Ok this is seriously nerve racking, I have a score of 56, the CAO sent me the letter saying my application was ok and I still dont have any offer on my CAO account. And Im in Mallorca so away from all my information (tho I suppose I could be in a worse place to be stressed :D

id ring them mate....(whilst having a drink of course), you should have definitely gotten UL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lonelywanderer

I assume you have Limerick down somewhere yeah?

If not it might be that you missed out on Cork on random selection. If you do have Limerick down give them a call I'd say!

Biologic wrote: »
    Future RCSI martyrs, here's your facebook group. http://www.facebook.com/groups/287864331299441/
    The first 10 weeks will be hellish, but somewhat enjoyable. The rest is more enjoyable than hellish.

Is there a UCD equivalent for this does anyone know? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭cliona88

SmileyRK wrote: »
    I currently know 3 people that got in with a 54 and 1 with a 55 so there's hope for you yet. i'd say second round offers will be widespread especially with people picking multiple institutions, the fact that UCD has dropped 2 points and also the financial situation and the difficulty of getting loans. I have my fingers crossed for you :)

thanks for the support :) I don't wanna get my hopes up so I'm gonna wait til the 20th and then book gamsat for September. I'm 21 so i can't go back to college for another two years so I dont mind trying again anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

+1.
    prepare to be scared.

Also, go and get as much 'life' lived in the next 4 weeks as possible. Plenty of fresh air, sitting down doing nothing, and sleeping. You'll need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 meradoodle

I'm looking for a UCD Facebook group as well. Got to find a place to live:) congrats to everyone!

Is there a UCD equivalent for this does anyone know? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CiMaster

Just accepted RCSI! Whoopa! So excited!

Right i know i'm skipping ahead here, but anyone who has completed GEP Year 1 in RSCI any idea of timetable?

I'm going away the weekend of the 21st of Sept and wondering (i) if the first friday will be busy and (ii) what time we might get off?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neurodegenerate

Congrats to everyone!!

Especially the new UCD heads!;)

Here's a facebook group you can use - not sure if the north american students have their own, but this will get you started!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/389149704473468/

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lelouchan

Whoop, ucd!!! Anyone know what the story is with loans now? Congratulations to everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GOING4BROKE

Out of interest is the next round of offers simply based on available places because people do not accept by Aug 9th? If people are struggling to get loans then it could mean that a number of spaces become available up until the course starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭PeadarGalway

CiMaster wrote: »

Right i know i'm skipping ahead here, but anyone who has completed GEP Year 1 in RSCI any idea of timetable?

I'm going away the weekend of the 21st of Sept and wondering (i) if the first friday will be busy and (ii) what time we might get off?

Just accepted RCSI too :) see you all in a few weeks!!

If anybody is lookin for accom myself and another RCSI-head are looking for flat mates, thinking rathmines/ranelagh type area.

Congrats again to everybody! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

from what I remember, we had the heartsaver thingy on the first friday. You'll be finished by 2. Best Friday you'll have all year as Fridays become hell through a mix of MCQs and Case of the Weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CiMaster

Sweet - Thanks Jsuited! I thought it would be a half day but nice to get confirmed.

Also Peadar, see ya there! Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) moving back in with the folks which is gonna be....interesting :)

Therefore won't need accomodation, but them spots seem like good choice - nice and central etc

Sweet - Thanks Jsuited! I thought it would be a half day but nice to get confirmed.

Also Peadar, see ya there! Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) moving back in with the folks which is gonna be....interesting :)

Therefore won't need accomodation, but them spots seem like good choice - nice and central etc

Moving back in with the folks is what all the cool kids are doing anyway :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

Congrats to those who got in and hard luck to anyone who just missed out. Give it your best shot again next year and you never know what might happen.

Anyway I got UL on a 57 and while I'm very happy with this because becoming a doctor is the only thing I really want to do, I can't help but feel a little bit dissapointed at not getting UCD when others with the same score did. I have nothing at all against UL, but simply for reasons of proximity and finance UCD would have suited me much more.

I'm pretty uncertain about what to do next, so I would be grateful for any advice at all from any of you. I can't help but feel that I would be a bit of an idiot to turn down a position in UL and resit the the GAMSAT next year in order to get a better score for Dublin (although I'm pretty certain i could improve on 57 since my study for the last test was less than minimal if you know what I mean). It is such a wonderful oppurtunity and it seems crazy to pass it up.

Would it be possible for me to try to defer my place in UL for a year, resit the GAMSAT and re-apply through the CAO for a place in UCD next year (hopefully with a better score of course)? It would be great if I had the safety net of a place in Limerick while i tried to get UCD and the year off would also give me a chance to save up some badly needed money through work, so this would probably be my ideal scenario if at all possible. Now I have no idea how likely the colleges are to defer a place for you in GEM for a year, or whether the CAO will even deal with an application when you have a place saved for you in the same course in another college. Has anyone any idea about these things?

I also know that there is a small possibility that I might get an offer for UCD in the next round in a few weeks. Would my acceptance or attempted deferral of a place in UL affect this in anyway if it were to happen? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

boynesider wrote: »
    Would my acceptance or attempted deferral of a place in UL affect this in anyway if it were to happen? Thanks

I can't help you with the vast majority of your post, but accepting an offer doesn't negatively impact your chances of getting a higher preference at all.

I know nothing about deferring though, sorry.

Congrats to those who got in and hard luck to anyone who just missed out. Give it your best shot again next year and you never know what might happen.

Anyway I got UL on a 57 and while I'm very happy with this because becoming a doctor is the only thing I really want to do, I can't help but feel a little bit dissapointed at not getting UCD when others with the same score did. I have nothing at all against UL, but simply for reasons of proximity and finance UCD would have suited me much more.

I'm pretty uncertain about what to do next, so I would be grateful for any advice at all from any of you. I can't help but feel that I would be a bit of an idiot to turn down a position in UL and resit the the GAMSAT next year in order to get a better score for Dublin (although I'm pretty certain i could improve on 57 since my study for the last test was less than minimal if you know what I mean). It is such a wonderful oppurtunity and it seems crazy to pass it up.

Would it be possible for me to try to defer my place in UL for a year, resit the GAMSAT and re-apply through the CAO for a place in UCD next year (hopefully with a better score of course)? It would be great if I had the safety net of a place in Limerick while i tried to get UCD and the year off would also give me a chance to save up some badly needed money through work, so this would probably be my ideal scenario if at all possible. Now I have no idea how likely the colleges are to defer a place for you in GEM for a year, or whether the CAO will even deal with an application when you have a place saved for you in the same course in another college. Has anyone any idea about these things?

I also know that there is a small possibility that I might get an offer for UCD in the next round in a few weeks. Would my acceptance or attempted deferral of a place in UL affect this in anyway if it were to happen? Thanks

I think I heard somewhere that if you defer a place then it's supposed to be your first preference the following year. If you put another Uni as your first choice then you lose your defered place and enter the competition all over again with your GAMSAT result.

This is just something I think I read ages ago, could be back to front. You have a few days to decide anyways, so you can confirm the details with the CAO in the meantime.

I'd say there's a very decent chance of getting an offer from UCD in the next round. I'm putting some serious thought into deferring UCD myself and with the way the fees/loans are going...I'm sure I'm not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 arzieparzie

I feel like I need an email from Limerick or something! So I know for definite!

I keep re-reading the offer to be sure it doesn't say "you have NOT been offered a place..." haha i won't be convinced until i start!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭spotsanddots

I keep re-reading the offer to be sure it doesn't say "you have NOT been offered a place..." haha i won't be convinced until i start!

I need an email from Limerick or something in the post to put my mind at ease!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

I'd bet my hat that you'll get an offer for UCD in the coming rounds if you're on 57 and the round zero cut off was 57*.

• Advertisement

I'd bet my hat that you'll get an offer for UCD in the coming rounds if you're on 57 and the round zero cut off was 57*.

so thats 3 of us sitting on 57 that didnt get a place through random selection just on the forum today, im defo not getting my hopes up...but hopefully!!

Advertisement