Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Glitter_star94

Are leaving cert results out on thursday or offers out on Thursday (I'm a British applicant and don't get my results till the 16 August)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAOMAN

Offers are out Thursday, and yes you'll still get a letter if you don't get an offer, the letter will just be telling you that you haven't received any offers...

Offers can be viewed online and should be available from 6am (I think)

While offers will be available on our website from 06:00 on Thursday 2nd August and you will recevie an Offer in the post, you will NOT receive a letter if you do not get an offer.

That only happens after Round 1 where applicants that did not get any offer, will receive a Statement of Applicaiton record to check that we have all of their information.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

CAOMAN wrote: »
    While offers will be available on our website from 06:00 on Thursday 2nd August and you will recevie an Offer in the post, you will NOT receive a letter if you do not get an offer.

That only happens after Round 1 where applicants that did not get any offer, will receive a Statement of Applicaiton record to check that we have all of their information.

Oh, sorry CAOMAN :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Eimz_T

oh I thought the offers were out on the 1st..... :( have to wait another day

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Eimz_T

Palo Alto wrote: »
    Just checking you definitely mean the orientation date is for Non-North Americans and not North-Americans? Trying to sort what date I need to move down on, was thinking of 1/2 of Sept but will make it 29/30 August if the orientation date is for Irish students? Apologies for the confusion.

Sorry, I realise I could have phrased that much better! I'm probably gooing to move down toward the end of August, I just finished a masters in Cork so I'm eager to move back as soon as possible. Have you sorted a place to live yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Haha no problem, confirmed it with the uni anyways!

I've sorted out a postgrad room at Dennehey's Cross, confirmed with UCC that GEM qualifies as postgrad although waiting full confirmation after the offers, paid the deposit though and will def get an offer so should be grand.

It sounds relatively chilled as it's max 3 to an appartment and even though it's dear I figured not knowing the place it would be good for first year.

Really excited to come down to be honest, can't wait to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 arzieparzie

Are leaving cert results out on thursday or offers out on Thursday (I'm a British applicant and don't get my results till the 16 August)

No LC results aren't out until mid august. They receive their offers on round 1 not round 0.

No LC results aren't out until mid august. They receive their offers on round 1 not round 0.

Oh so some people will get offers tomorrow without even knowing their results?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭spotsanddots

LC receive offers in Round 1. Round 0 is a special round for only certain courses like mature entry or grad med! :)

Oh so some people will get offers tomorrow without even knowing their results?

Offers are thursday, so nothing will happen tomorrow :P

As for results, leaving cert results don't impact us at all because in order to qualify for GEM you need to already hold an undergrad degree, meaning we're all way past caring what our Leaving Cert results were! :D

• Advertisement

Offers are thursday, so nothing will happen tomorrow :P

As for results, leaving cert results don't impact us at all because in order to qualify for GEM you need to already hold an undergrad degree, meaning we're all way past caring what our Leaving Cert results were! :D

Haha that is what I meant :p and oh okay I understand, but then for most of Irish applicants for an undergraduate degree does it mean they can get offers without knowing their own results?

Haha that is what I meant :p and oh okay I understand, but then for most of Irish applicants for an undergraduate degree does it mean they can get offers without knowing their own results?

No, undergrad offers don't come out until mid August, the monday after LC results come out (I think results day is the 15th this year). Only Gradmed and a few other restricted entry courses are offered in round 0, undergrad med offers come out in round 1.

From a previous post you mentioned Trinity and from your username you were probably born in '94, so I guess you're an Undergrad?

No, undergrad offers don't come out until mid August, the monday after LC results come out (I think results day is the 15th this year). Only Gradmed and a few other restricted entry courses are offered in round 0, undergrad med offers come out in round 1.

From a previous post you mentioned Trinity and from your username you were probably born in '94, so I guess you're an Undergrad?

Oh I didnt realise round 0 was restricted offers, wow slightly overwhelming haha and I thought I understood it all! And yeah I'm an undergrad (if I get in :) ) thanks for the help!

Oh I didnt realise round 0 was restricted offers, wow slightly overwhelming haha and I thought I understood it all! And yeah I'm an undergrad (if I get in :) ) thanks for the help!

No problem, best of luck when your offer does come out :)

There's a thread for Undergrad medicine too, there's a huge amount of info in it and I dunno how much of it will be useful to you but it might be worth a look...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056365199

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gordonia

Lame wrote: »
    Yikes, numbers posted by Rafni are insanely high if true. Can anyone else from UL confirm those numbers?

I heard from a good source that they were slightly lower than Rafni quoted:
    21 failed June exams and around 4 others failed to sit due to illness, so there'll be about 25 repeating at the end of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DraughtHorse

Hi,

Posting here as this thread gets a lot of attention.

Most likely heading for Cork in 2 weeks to sort out a house for the year. Is anyone interested in sharing? What I've looked at so far is in the €300-€400 bracket within 15 mins of Brookfield. It would be great to sort out a house with 2, 3 or 4 others. Preferably some working, some studying. PM me if you're interested. If someone could direct the fb group in this direction too that would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭spotsanddots

i think the numbers applying are available if you ring the cao, think they were posted oh here at some stage and they were down on previous years but by a tiny amount.

I've been searching for the numbers with no luck. I never get though on the CAO phone number :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hannah90

This was the post about the numbers in case you're still looking for it!!
    PaddyA wrote: »
    Around 680 I think . Was not willing to state exact figure. Between 600 and 700 - closer to 700.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 PaddyA

Does anyone know if the number of places remains the same this year for GEM. Are UL offering 90 places again this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 barbara2012

Hi guys, I'm a UCC GEM hopeful and am trying to scout out roomies. I'm a 23 yr old girl, and would like to live with other GEMs. PM me if your interested!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lonelywanderer

PaddyA wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the number of places remains the same this year for GEM. Are UL offering 90 places again this year?
    Minister Ruairí Quinn

The graduate entry medicine (GEM) programme commenced in 2007/08 and has an
    annual EU intake of 240 students in four institutions: UCD (77), UCC (38), UL
    (95) and RCSI (30)
    . Information regarding the numbers who have undertaken these
    programmes is not readily available. I have asked the Higher Education
    Authority to collate this data and it will be forwarded to the deputy when
    available.

I haven't seen anywhere that this will be changing.

Less than 12 hours to go now 'til we're all put out of our misery (or put into even more misery if things go badly!)

Best of luck everyone, hopefully plenty of us will see each other in real life in a few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Good luck everyone - I'm actually really looking forward to see what the cutoffs are

Good luck everyone - I'm actually really looking forward to see what the cutoffs are

I wish I was confident enough that I could think like that :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭EngDoc

Kinda feels like a scene from The Hunger Games.

May the odds be ever your favor...

Best of luck guys.
    If we don't get what we're hoping for...there's always next year.

Instead of logging on first thing in the morning, I think I'll try to go old-school...have a nice breakfast and wait for An Post to deliver the news! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭PeadarGalway

EngDoc wrote: »

Best of luck guys.

Instead of logging on first thing in the morning, I think I'll try to go old-school...have a nice breakfast and wait for An Post to deliver the news! :)

Jeepers, I couldn't do that! Fair play!
    Best of luck to everybody, hopefully the hard work pays off :)

EngDoc wrote: »

Best of luck guys.

Ideally i'll do the same, but I can picture myself lying awake all night and then spring out of bed at 5.59am. Funnily enough I have The Hunger Games set aside if I can't sleep :P

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sarah1379

Yup it'll be a sleepless night I reckon. Got some books and DVDs set aside to take my mind off the waiting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dmccormack01

im going to check at 9am tomorrow in work, and then hand in my notice by 10.....i hope! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

well folks, it's finally about to happen. Best of luck for tomorrow.

Advertisement