Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2012

Options
1333435363739»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eimear22

Hi
    I did the GAMSAT for the first time ever and I got accepted into my first choice of medical school this year. I am now selling my books and notes. The entire package is 650 euro though I may come down in price and i may sell my books individually. Below is my list. PM me if anyone is interested.

QUESTIONS AND PRACTICE PAPERS
    Gamsat papers(5 sections)
    Ozimed preactice tests 1,3,4,5
    Des O'Neills prognostic preparatory test
    Paging Dr gamsat practice test
    Medprep simulated gamsat 1 and 2
    Prepgenie chemistry sample questions
    ACER practice booklets (all four) and I will throw in my prepared answers for each ACER book of questions.

STUDY COURSES AND NOTES
    Des O'Neills science notes
    Griffiths gamsat review
    Entire Gradmed course including sections 1, 2 and 3 notes, samples and questions
    Medprep home study course books 1 and 2
    Letts revise AS and A2 for biology, chemistry, physics and sociology
    Gamsat tutor course for section 1 and 2

SCIENCE BOOKS FOR SECTION 3
    Physics essentials for dummies
    Physics for dummies
    Organic chemistry for dummies books 1 and 2
    Chemistry essentials for dummies
    Leaving Cert rapid revision phyics
    Basic physics, a self teaching guide
    The MCAT chemistry book
    Oxford chemistry for the biosciences
    Leaving Cert real world physics
    Chemistry- the molecular nature of matter and change
    Organic chemistry-structure and reactivity
    Organic chemistry by Carey

BOOKS TO AID SECTION 2
    Political philosophy, a very short introduction
    The consolations of philosophy
    Alain de Botton's essays in love
    Collins gem twentieth century history basic facts
    Collins wordpower vocabulary expander
    Writing argumentative essays by Wood
    Writing personal essays:how to shape your experiences for the page by Bender
    The art of being human, the humanities as a technique for living
    Pros and cons, a debaters handbook
    Essays that will get you into medical school by Dowhan

BOOKS TO AID SECTION 1
    101 passages in MCAT verbal reasoning
    The far side gallery by Larson (good for interpreting cartoons)

I will also supply my own condensed science notes, my science formulas, my essay plans for free to anyone that wants them.
    If anyone is interested in buying any or all of my notes and books or has any questions on the gamsat then PM me

Regards,
    Eimear22

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

eimear22 wrote: »
    Hi
    I did the GAMSAT for the first time ever and I got accepted into my first choice of medical school this year. I am now selling my books and notes. The entire package is 650 euro though I may come down in price and i may sell my books individually. Below is my list. PM me if anyone is interested.

ACER practice booklets (all four) and I will throw in my prepared answers for each ACER book of questions.

STUDY COURSES AND NOTES
    Griffiths gamsat review
    Entire Gradmed course including sections 1, 2 and 3 notes, samples and questions

Physics for dummies
    The MCAT chemistry book

BOOKS TO AID SECTION 2

BOOKS TO AID SECTION 1

I will also supply my own condensed science notes, my science formulas, my essay plans for free to anyone that wants them.
    If anyone is interested in buying any or all of my notes and books or has any questions on the gamsat then PM me

Regards,
    Eimear22

Are you serious?! You already spammed 12 threads with this as 'Eimear25' and they were removed. There's a thread for selling GAMSAT stuff, and you've already posted in it with your duplicate account. This is annoying and lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭PeadarGalway

eimear22 wrote: »
    Hi

STUDY COURSES AND NOTES
    Griffiths gamsat review

Physics for dummies
    The MCAT chemistry book

BOOKS TO AID SECTION 2

BOOKS TO AID SECTION 1

Regards,
    Eimear22

Jaysus.

I dont even want to think how much you paid for all of these books. Gradmed notes are enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Got offered UCD in round 2 this morning, i'm definitely not going to accept it because I start in UCC tomorrow and obviously have accommodation and all that sorted down there, but they must really be struggling to fill the course if they're still offering places at this stage! Even though the points requirement hasn't actually dropped ( it was 57* in round zero, still 57* now), there are obviously a lot of people unable to take up the places they've been offered for this year!

UCC has dropped from 56 to 55* in round 2, but like I said we register tomorrow and start properly on monday, would be cutting it extremely fine if anyone was to accept an offer this morning! No round 2 offers made for RCSI unsurprisingly, Round 2 offers made for UL with the points stayong the same as round 1 (53*)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sarah1379

Hey guys,

just looking at timetabling for UCD GEM, anyone know what an offering is? As in, semester 1, offering 2? This is coming from a pre semesterisation ex-trinner so sorry if this is really obvious terminology that I've just never heard! I did google it first but no cigar. :(

Thanks all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭eire_245

Got offered UCD in round 2 this morning, i'm definitely not going to accept it because I start in UCC tomorrow and obviously have accommodation and all that sorted down there, but they must really be struggling to fill the course if they're still offering places at this stage! Even though the points requirement hasn't actually dropped ( it was 57* in round zero, still 57* now), there are obviously a lot of people unable to take up the places they've been offered for this year!

UCC has dropped from 56 to 55* in round 2, but like I said we register tomorrow and start properly on monday, would be cutting it extremely fine if anyone was to accept an offer this morning! No round 2 offers made for RCSI unsurprisingly, Round 2 offers made for UL with the points stayong the same as round 1 (53*)

I got offered UCD too, sticking with UL as i already have my loan in place and thats the deciding factor for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nats89

Sarah1379 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

just looking at timetabling for UCD GEM, anyone know what an offering is? As in, semester 1, offering 2? This is coming from a pre semesterisation ex-trinner so sorry if this is really obvious terminology that I've just never heard! I did google it first but no cigar. :(

Thanks all :)
    With a lot of the tutorials/ anatomy practicals there are different groups that may be on different times as not everyone will fit in the same room. So each "offering" refers to a pre-assigned group. I did my undergrad in the school of medicine and sometimes they'll be able to swap you around to a different one if the time suits you better. You may have to beg though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stephan Grundy

How much's the gradmed course , im looking really for help on the first 2 sections , the third i can handle - have done biochem , anatomy , physiol , etc plus the organic . One thing though , should i study the section 3 stuff or merely read through and understand , ive found a lot of misconception on that part ?

For section II, the best things you can do are (1) make a list of the possible topics - they tend to be pretty consistent, if you scan around the free prep stuff on-line you'll get the idea, (2) for each topic, find a couple of examples you can talk about (specific examples are good) and keep in touch with current events, because bringing in a current event also shows that you are in touch with people and current ideas, blah, thinking about how to use them as examples. And (3) practice the art of the half-hour essay - budget so many minutes for the intro, each body paragraph, and a snappy conclusion.
    For section 3 - if you already have a really good science background, it's your thinking at speed that is actually being tested. I busted butt to catch up with 4 years of science in 3 months, did very well on the sample test III's, and when I got there on the day, I still looked at most of it and thought "what the hell was this? - expected real organic chem and acid/bases" - but got through with an okay science score (55 - knew I'd be counting on good scores in the other section to pull me through, and they did) purely by a combination of ruling out obviously and probably wrong answers and playing the percentages with luck from there, I think. The worst trap seems to be slowing down for things you think you can figure out with a bit more time, then not finishing or having to random-guess through things that you could at least have improved your random-guess odds through.
    That's probably the same for section I, for people who aren't comfortable with fast-verbal stuff and the more than occasional question that, IMHO, is nebulous b.s. with no real answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mabs12

Just wondering about the London test centre... ExCel London is where I've been assigned to take the test. Are you the same? Just wondering if you'd booked anywhere nearby to stay, or where will I find hotels close to the centre? Have to go over alone and I've never been to London so fairly intimidated by the whole thing! I'm like yourself, his is more of a practice run for March.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mabs12

Hi Cliona and Flanders!

Cliona - I'm Doing GAMSAT in London and Dublin in the next 9 months. Did Commerce and French at UCD and was just moving aimlessly towards working in Finance and after work experience and a lot of thought on a year off teaching in Paris I've decided I'm going to do Medicine, always at the back of my mind but never thought it a possibility until I looked into it properly.

I'm going back to work in Paris again but if anybody is around before September and preparing for the London date I'd like to meet up and see what other people are doing! I'm waayyy behind, focusing on the Irish exam but giving the London one a go with 2 months preparation for experience/practice. I'm near enough UCD, live on the luas line at Kilmacud.

p.s. just a word of warning for anyone considering diong the HPAT: You need 500+ to have any chance.
    I did the HPAT but have little or no chance of getting in that way. I did it for practice in the end but the highest score ever achieved is 230/300 so there was never any chance of me getting in with 505 points (given that you need around 725 overall). You need at least 520 to give you any sort of real chance! Otherwise you need to finish in the top 1%... and below 500 forget about it honestly.
    Just wondering about the London test centre... ExCel London is where I've been assigned to take the test. Are you the same? Just wondering if you'd booked anywhere nearby to stay, or where will I find hotels close to the centre? Have to go over alone and I've never been to London so fairly intimidated by the whole thing! I'm like yourself, his is more of a practice run for March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭supraspinaswim

Am doing the organic chem stuff at the moment , do you need detail on alkenes - their reaction - halogenation , conversions to functional groups etc, as well as the rest ? OR is it just general stuff ?

:eek:

Anyone now where you can get Essays that will get you into medical school by Dowhan ? Easons have the ebook , but staring at laptop screen fr more than 5 hours will drive me nuts- want it in paperback ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Loro78

Hi guys!
    Just learned about the possibility to do medschool today - literally just read it somewhere whilst surfing the web - and well, landed here... :o)

Anyways, I am graduating next September in a BSc Hons in Nursing, with all going well it should be at least a 2.1 if not better...

I was always kinda dreaming about being able to study medicine, but always thought that would be out of reach for me??! Soooo...

Where can I get some examples for all the GAMSAT sections, just to get a rough overview what to expect?
    How do you all fund this - its thousands of euros??! I mean, its probably not really helpful that I am currently a student (financially I mean), but even when working... :confused:
    Does the selection process work the same way as the CAO process?
    Do you think I would have a good base with my current Nursing degree - for studying medicine itself as well as to sit the GAMSAT? To be honest, I don't have much clue about chemistry, physics etc. - we only barely touched on some biochem in first year, but that's about it! :(
    Is it difficult to get funding from a bank / loans etc.?
    All these questions... sorry for overwhelming ye! :P

Cheers! Greez from Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭chips365

Loro78 wrote: »
    Hi guys!
    Just learned about the possibility to do medschool today - literally just read it somewhere whilst surfing the web - and well, landed here... :o)

Anyways, I am graduating next September in a BSc Hons in Nursing, with all going well it should be at least a 2.1 if not better...

I was always kinda dreaming about being able to study medicine, but always thought that would be out of reach for me??! Soooo...

Where can I get some examples for all the GAMSAT sections, just to get a rough overview what to expect?
    How do you all fund this - its thousands of euros??! I mean, its probably not really helpful that I am currently a student (financially I mean), but even when working... :confused:
    Does the selection process work the same way as the CAO process?
    Do you think I would have a good base with my current Nursing degree - for studying medicine itself as well as to sit the GAMSAT? To be honest, I don't have much clue about chemistry, physics etc. - we only barely touched on some biochem in first year, but that's about it! :(
    Is it difficult to get funding from a bank / loans etc.?
    All these questions... sorry for overwhelming ye! :P

Cheers! Greez from Kerry

Hey,

I'm a nurse just graduated from UL. I was 10 points short for Med back in the day so i have been working towards this entry method for the past couple of years. Basically the Nursing course will give you a good head start in some areas and especially if you get into med school because we have most of the clinical stuff covered. But the science modules in nursing are only the tip of the iceberg regarding what comes up on the Gamsat. To be honest i was and still am a bit overwhelmed by the amount od science needed for this thing...and we had a crash course in science in 1st year. but once you get stuck into it you'll be fine! just keep the head down and get the 2.1, then focus on the GAMSAT.

As for getting a loan, it seems to have become the defining characteristic if one is to get into med school or not. Up until last year it seemed handy enough to get the money but this year pople are having a pure nightmare with the banks. A lot of people i know cant get the loan despite having got an offer from the colleges.

Hope thats of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jdaly2012

Hi Just wondering is there anybody around the kildare area that would be interested in linking up and studying for the 2013 gamsat in march?

Im in 3rd yr of college , with loads this semester to be done so help would be handy . Im in lucan if it helps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cathal.doherty

Hello there,

I'm living in the Dublin area. Would be not far from Kildare and interested in setting something up.

Let me know.

Hello there,

I'm living in the Dublin area. Would be not far from Kildare and interested in setting something up.

Let me know.

Im in college so getting the times a complete nut , plus Ive a swimming injury to contend with . Ye , where in Dublin , you in college or ... .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Does anyone have the marking curve for London 2012 Results? They were out last night I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

This is the curve I was give for UK 2013.

percentile-curve-uk.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 JohnSnow

pc11 wrote: »
    This is the curve I was give for UK 2013.

percentile-curve-uk.png

What score is needed to get into medical school?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAOMAN

The GAMSAT score required for entry into Graduate Medicine in Ireland are available on the CAO website www.cao.ie under points and then select level 8 and lo courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JohnSnow

CAOMAN wrote: »
    The GAMSAT score required for entry into Graduate Medicine in Ireland are available on the CAO website www.cao.ie under points and then select level 8 and lo courses.

Thanks!

Can you explain what 'Round 0' is?

Also, why doesn't RCSI list a Round 2 GAMSAT score? Does that mean there was no second round last year?

Thanks Again!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAOMAN

JohnSnow wrote: »
    Thanks!

Can you explain what 'Round 0' is?

Also, why doesn't RCSI list a Round 2 GAMSAT score? Does that mean there was no second round last year?

Thanks Again!

Round 0 is the name of the round of offers that CAO sends out in early AUuust and in which the Graduate Medicine Offers are issued.

No points in round 2 means no offers in round 2.
    :)

Advertisement