Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

eire_245 wrote: »
    so thats 3 of us sitting on 57 that didnt get a place through random selection just on the forum today, im defo not getting my hopes up...but hopefully!!

4 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭eire_245

4 ;)

were going to have to start killing each other off! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gordonia

Paragraph from the email I received from UL!

The GAMSAT score will vary from year to year. For entry to the programme this academic year (2010-11) the cut off score was 54* (asterisk means not everyone on 54 has been offered a place). Entry to the programme last year the first round of offers went to individuals scoring 57 or higher. However, this was not the cut off score as a number of students did not accept their first round offers. The year before the initial round of offers went to students scoring 60 and higher.

Maybe it wasn't true. I dunno :)

Looks like they just got the dates slightly wrong (maybe they copied and pasted an old email and got confused about the dates). 2011-12 cut off was definitely 54* in round zero and I think the year before that was 57.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

eire_245 wrote: »
    were going to have to start killing each other off! haha

Boards.ie Hunger Games next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ul hopefull

Anyone know what date ul start guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 galeast12

hey guys,

congrats to everyone who got a place.anyone think 53 has any chance, bad news all around today, was waiting to hear from surgeons in relation to the waiting list for the 5 yr programme but apparently nothing happening there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cash2905

Anyone headed for UCD started looking for accomodation yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭chanste

Congrats to all the people who got offered places and for those who didn't I wish you luck in the coming rounds.

Specifically to those coming to UL, I can assure you that it is a great programme with an extremely helpful faculty. I'm in final year now and they have always been great to me. GEM has been the most interesting thing I've ever done, but also the most difficult.

I would suggest for those of you that got offered a place to:
    Join the facebook page for UL Med (or for the equivalent in other colleges)
    Try get finance sorted ASAP because I think things are going to be really tough this year (and don't be tempted to take a smaller loan in the hope that you'll get by - take what you can get. You will probably need it. Everyone spends more on books and things than they expected to).
    I recommend for anyone to have a look at the first 10 topics in pharmacology at a glance before you start, and maybe the 3 chapters (2 pages each) for antibiotics too. Even if it seems a bit messy and you feel like its too tough on your own, the fact that you have started to familiarise yourself with it will be valuable.

To the folks that haven't got offered a place, don't lose heart yet. I got offered mine in a later round. I would fully expect it to drop another point to 53 (though I fear this may be because some people may not get the finance they hoped for). If it still doesn't come to pass, maybe give it 2 shots next year by sitting the one in London in September. Welcome to medical school!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sing

Hey guys so what are the criteria for the loans this year. Ive noticed alot of you talking about it and I didnt hear anything ... whats changed since last year with the loans. p.s i hope your right about it dropping a point what round did you get offered a place

• Registered Users Posts: 7 meradoodle

cash2905 wrote: »
    Anyone headed for UCD started looking for accomodation yet?
    I am:) I live in London at the moment. Don't know anything about accommodation in Dublin. Someone told me that Blackrock is the place to live.

• Advertisement

Sing wrote: »
    Hey guys so what are the criteria for the loans this year. Ive noticed alot of you talking about it and I didnt hear anything ... whats changed since last year with the loans. p.s i hope your right about it dropping a point what round did you get offered a place

I received a letter from AIB a few months back saying they were discontinuing the GEM loan which will affect a lot of people because I think it was the only one that offered €100k. Most of the others will only offer fees only, and may require something to the tune of someones house for security. When I started, the offer of a place meant you automatically qualified for the loan. It literally took me 1 day to organise. I feel sorry for people looking for finance in the current climate. I'd also point out (though I promise I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade) repeating a year will cost a full year of fees again. It happens to very few, but probably more importantly is that so many people live in a real fear of it come exam time. which is why I was suggesting that people try to organise as much as possible before they start.

I got offered my place in the last round, so I completely understand your nerves.

Just thought I'd mention too that for people looking for accomodation that in 1st year I lived in Brookfield (Like a privately run college res) 20 mins from the college. Its nice. Internet was fast, rooms were well laid out and the apartment was v big by student standards. Was €85 per week at the time. Might be slightly more now. In 2nd year I stayed in Dromroe village in the college. It was my favourite of everywhere I stayed but it worked out at >€100 per week. 3rd year I was all over the place on placements but settled in Limerick again in Parkview Mews which is €55 per week (or €65 en suite) This is about 30 mins from the college, but across the road from Dunnes, shopping centre etc. Really its incredible value in my opinion because the apartment I'm in is absolutely fine and the guy running it is very nice and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

chanste wrote: »
    I recommend for anyone to have a look at the first 10 topics in pharmacology at a glance before you start, and maybe the 3 chapters (2 pages each) for antibiotics too. Even if it seems a bit messy and you feel like its too tough on your own, the fact that you have started to familiarise yourself with it will be valuable.

Agree with everything else you've said except this bit. People should go and enjoy the last couple of weeks of summer. Looking over pharm without having done any biochemistry will be very confusing. No harm in it I just think there are better ways to spend your free time before college starts. And God knows you'll be spending enough time looking over it once college starts

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭cliona88

Congrats to all the people who got offered places and for those who didn't I wish you luck in the coming rounds.

Specifically to those coming to UL, I can assure you that it is a great programme with an extremely helpful faculty. I'm in final year now and they have always been great to me. GEM has been the most interesting thing I've ever done, but also the most difficult.

Try get finance sorted ASAP because I think things are going to be really tough this year (and don't be tempted to take a smaller loan in the hope that you'll get by - take what you can get. You will probably need it. Everyone spends more on books and things than they expected to).

To the folks that haven't got offered a place, don't lose heart yet. I got offered mine in a later round. I would fully expect it to drop another point to 53 (though I fear this may be because some people may not get the finance they hoped for). If it still doesn't come to pass, maybe give it 2 shots next year by sitting the one in London in September. Welcome to medical school!

hey chanste, Can you remember how many weeks after everyone else that you got your offer?

Agree with everything else you've said except this bit. People should go and enjoy the last couple of weeks of summer. Looking over pharm without having done any biochemistry will be very confusing. No harm in it I just think there are better ways to spend your free time before college starts. And God knows you'll be spending enough time looking over it once college starts

Fair point. I think I might think about this stuff different to most people (When I was a teacher I got a job or done a project every summer for 4 years). I don't really like taking holidays beyond 2-3 weeks because I always feel like I should be doing something constructive. If someone was going to attempt to do something useful for the course anyway, I would still recommend the above more so than randomly picking something from a book which may or may not be useful. I had no biochem background and found I was quite lost until I looked at the "Pharm at a glance" book. Great starting point in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭cliona88

For people who are hoping to move to a different university, I think you could ring the admissions office of the university and see where you are on the waiting list.

cliona88 wrote: »
    hey chanste, Can you remember how many weeks after everyone else that you got your offer?

I don't remember the date exactly but it was the last week of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 raftni

hey chanste.

I've posted a lot of warnings myself about people failing and the high cost of having to repeat a year.

Could you give your experience on that as a person who failed exams and lived with that golden gun being held at your head.

I think people need to be aware of these things. It's a great idea to crack into the pharmacology at this early stage and get your barings.

raftni wrote: »
    hey chanste.

I've posted a lot of warnings myself about people failing and the high cost of having to repeat a year.

Could you give your experience on that as a person who failed exams and lived with that golden gun being held at your head.

I think people need to be aware of these things. It's a great idea to crack into the pharmacology at this early stage and get your barings.

Well luckily I've never had to repeat the year, but I have had autumn repeats to make up for failing summer exams. Not sure what else I can say except it is horrible to have it hang over you all summer, to only find out if you will remain in the following year after starting it, and as said already being all too aware that if I failed I simply don't have the finance to continue. I've always been the kind of person who would think optimistically that something would pop up if the occasion arose, but honestly I've no idea where it would come from.

In 3 weeks I have to re-sit 3 OSCE stations from summer exams and it should be simple enough because I have been working hard to prepare for them but even now at the start of the final year I will be very worried about what would happen if this went tits up. Its not that failing is likely, it's how bad it would be if failing happened. Also AIB (probably other banks too) told me yesterday that they won't allow me to draw down money for year 4 until I've passed everything from year 3 which means I've no money until September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 galeast12

thanks for the advice chanste, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ul hopefull

I got accepted to ul yesterday however just found out today that bank of ireland have reduced their loan and are now only providing funds for fees and not expenses. does anyone know any bank still offering funds for fees and expenses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭eire_245

I got accepted to ul yesterday however just found out today that bank of ireland have reduced their loan and are now only providing funds for fees and not expenses. does anyone know any bank still offering funds for fees and expenses

i just posted in the loans thread with details!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CiMaster

Ouchie - Celebratory hangover hurts.

BUUUUT its friday AND i'm gonna be a Doctor. Whoop whoop!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GOING4BROKE

How do people think this loan situation will play out? Will places become available due to lack of loans. Trying to suss it out before sorting accommodation. Friends have already given me the Dr. label if I wasnt committed before I think I am now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SmileyRK

The friends started calling my name with the Dr. label when I sat the GAMSAT never mind now haha. My celebrations start 2nite in Dublin andare gonna last the entire weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jameshrh

Whooo, Got an offer for RCSI. Hope to see you guys soon!

Unfortunately I can't be helpful with the GAMSAT scores as fluked it with 67, but best of luck to the rest of you guys!

Also living on the wrong side of the Irish Sea I have no idea what happens next. Any details would be most appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 legallyblondex

anyone sorted accommodation in UL yet? im a 24 yr old girl looking for potential roomies :D PM me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Well done all. Y'all are mega excited right now but let me tell you, no matter how high your expectations of medical school are, the reality is better.

Every day will be equal parts terrifying but exciting.
    Honestly, I walked away from a lot of things in my life (career etc) to do medicine, and not once have I ever thought twice about it.

Party hard in celebration and remember the real fun starts soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭EngDoc

For any UCD heads out there...a quick question:

I was having a look at the 'GEM Central' website and came across the Stage 1 book list. Jeepers...that's some amount of books, I'd say buying those would cost an absolute fortune.

Back in my old engineering college days, I think I only ever bought one or two books over the entire four years. Everything was available in the library. Is this the same in UCD? Can we just use the library copies or are we expected to shell out a few hundred quid on buying text books?

EngDoc wrote: »
    For any UCD heads out there...a quick question:

I was having a look at the 'GEM Central' website and came across the Stage 1 book list. Jeepers...that's some amount of books, I'd say buying those would cost an absolute fortune.

Back in my old engineering college days, I think I only ever bought one or two books over the entire four years. Everything was available in the library. Is this the same in UCD? Can we just use the library copies or are we expected to shell out a few hundred quid on buying text books?

Hi there, I'm not in UCD but I would advise you not to shell out on lots of books until you start your course. By all means buy 1 or 2, I've already mentioned that I think people should have a look at "pharmacology at a glance", but opinions differ greatly as to what is the best anatomy book, histology book, pathology book etc. You shouldn't decide which to buy until you have either concluded that you liked one you've read in the library and maybe want your own copy because its not always available, or maybe if the lecturer has given an indication that it actually matters that you get a specific book (I've taken a lot of different classes in many different courses and have yet to meet a lecturer that relies on you having a specific textbook - most will prob use their own slides/notes).

Many of the books on your list are very expensive (Robbin's Pathological Basis of Disease is >€100). You could easily spend over €1000 getting books in your first year, and come exam time you may decide you want to buy some of the revision books out there too. So take home point here is don't part with the cash until you know your buying something you'll actually use.

I might as well list my favourite books to work from while I'm on topic:
    Anatomy Textbook: Clinically Oriented Anatomy
    Anatomy Atlas: Gosling
    Histology: Ross & Pawlina
    Pathology: Robbins Pathological Basis of Disease (This is like the enhanced/more expensive version of Robbins Basic Pathology - so don't buy both)
    Physiology: Guyton & Hall (Can't emphasise enough how much I recommend this)
    A good dictionary would be useful too. I would get an app for a smartphone for something like this. Both Oxford and Dorlands (better/more expensive) have good apps.
    If you are going to buy any of the oxford clinical handbooks, I would probably also buy appstore version. Same applies for BNF (Drug Reference - more relevant in clinical years)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭EngDoc

Thanks for the advice Chanste!

Don't worry, had no intention of buying any of the books right now, just in the process of trying to get a general budget together of what everything will cost me. The cost of everything is scaring the crap out of me to be honest.

Still haven't clicked on the big CAO accept button yet. Gonna pop into a few banks next Tuesday and see what they'll offer me.

Advertisement