Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel Prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

151.9 petrol at my local:(

was 144.9 just 2 wks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The lowest petrol I've seen was about 1.48, but has climbed back up to 1.50 again. Peak oil me h0le, just greddy distributors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Hal1 wrote: »
    The lowest petrol I've seen was about 1.48, but has climbed back up to 1.50 again. Peak oil me h0le, just greddy distributors.

Considering almost half of the 1.50 is local taxes...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I know a few people who run petrol stations and I know of one guy who audits them and according to him he finds something dodgy at 90% of his visits but they are within allowed boundaries. Eg. Fuel with small amounts of kero added, Diesel which is only 98% diesel and has traces of red dye, Petrol not meeting octane rating... the list goes on.
    All of these could be blamed on equipment not being properly cleaned but in reality we know how it happens.

how about advertising at a cheap rate but never altering the pumps themselves..is this common place? :cool:

fryup wrote: »
    how about advertising at a cheap rate but never altering the pumps themselves..is this common place? :cool:

no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

fryup wrote: »
    I'm not sure if its that easy to sell at a different rate than what it says on the pump. If you mean the big sign on the forecourt, I haven't seen it personally. Old pumps can be altered so the numbers go up quicker than the fuel flows but I don't think the new machines are so simple.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Cheapest petrol in Dublin is 1.489 at James St. Dublin 8

Cheapest diesel in Dublin is 1.329 at Ballymount Road Lwr. Walkinstown

According to Pumps.ie

I paid 1.429 at Esso on the N11 yesterday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Why is petrol so dear in Dublin? Just back from the west of Ireland and the cost there is lower (not by much but), varying from 149.9 to 150.9 and not the 152.9 to 153.9?

Is it just that the customer is again been treated like a fool and with total contempt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

JOSman wrote: »

Is it just that the customer is again been treated like a fool and with total contempt?
    It's one way of putting it.
    I think the phrase you're looking for is "what the market will bear"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

JOSman wrote: »
    Why is petrol so dear in Dublin? Just back from the west of Ireland and the cost there is lower (not by much but), varying from 149.9 to 150.9 and not the 152.9 to 153.9?

Some petrol stations are more expensive than others.

I did a lot of travelling around Kerry/Limerick over the weekend and saw plenty 153.9/154.9 prices on my travels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭eagerv

Nymex Crude has dropped to $88.76 today(5 pm). With the weak dollar hopefully prices will eventually drop at the pumps. Or perhaps pigs will fly...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I logged on to my car to have a look at my "fuel" consumption for July and how much it cost. Not bad for over 2100 kilometer driven in July, my fuel suppliers prices seems pretty steady as well :D

169525.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Texaco clodalkin are at it again with their 147.3 and vouchers !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

I logged on to my car to have a look at my "fuel" consumption for July and how much it cost. Not bad for over 2100 kilometer driven in July, my fuel suppliers prices seems pretty steady as well :D

169525.jpg

How many times did ya get that clenched botty feeling that u weren't going to make it to a charger? I know j clarkson is smart ars@ of the year but he had many valid negative points re electric cars. When your tinkering with a range of 160 km and a 9 hour charge time it still is not a viable transport option unless your tootling around locally.

Ps.....have u a prius or you all elec..? Take it all back if a pet/elec option but elec alone is a non runner

Bearcat wrote: »
    How many times did ya get that clenched botty feeling that u weren't going to make it to a charger? I know j clarkson is smart ars@ of the year but he had many valid negative points re electric cars. When your tinkering with a range of 160 km and a 9 hour charge time it still is not a viable transport option unless your tootling around locally.

Ps.....have u a prius or you all elec..? Take it all back if a pet/elec option but elec alone is a non runner

My wife and I sold our two petrol/diesel cars. A 2006 Citroen C2 and a 2000 Audi A6 Avant. We now only have the Nissan Leaf. I considered a Skoda Superb Greenline, but I figured if I'm buying new to avail of lower fuel costs etc, then I should just go all the way for full EV. By the same logic I wouldn't really consider a hybrid.

An EV review from Clarkson was always going to have the EV running out of juice :) Also there is a big difference between charging infrastructure in the UK and Ireland. I mean that in a positive way for Ireland. I have some gripes with the ESB, but overall they've made the correct decisions on what equipment to go for. You noticed in his review he had a cable with a 3 pin plug at the end of it? That's what Leaf owners in the UK get for home charging. That's a 13 amp plug, in Ireland you get a free dedicated 16 amp external charging unit on your house. Charging time at home is 7 hours.

If you pull up to a Topaz or other station you can charge to 84% in about 30 minutes. This is me charging in Newlands Cross Topaz.

169542.jpg

The ESB have promised 30 Fast Charging Points across the national road network by the end of the year, I think they should make that target as well. I should never then be more than 60km from a fast charging point that can get me from 0% to 84% in 30 minutes.

ESB Map

I guess what I'm saying is over in the UK fast charging points aren't being rolled out on a nationwide basis because they don't have one company that controls the grid, like we do. On street chargers in the UK are still being installed with 13 amp 3 pin plugs. In Ireland the ESB are going for J1772 connectors with the capability of 16 amps for Leaf's and 32 amps for the Fluence ZE and the Ford Focus electric. So even slow home charging or slow on street charging for the Renault and Ford EV owners will be 3 to 4 hours for a full charge. If they are equipped with a fast charging port then they can use the fast chargers in the petrol stations to get from 0 to 84% in 30 mins.

I know some people are dead set against EV's, but I've never had a single moment where I worried about making it somewhere. The electronics package in the car is impressive and you'd have to be a complete fool to run out of juice. The car has a built-in data connection (no subscription) and it is constantly updating itself as to where new chargers are. If you undertake a longer journey it can tell you where you need to stop for a charge. It also tells you whether a charger is of the slower type or fast type. I could go on a bit about this, but it would be pretty hard to run out of juice at the side of the road. I love Topgear and that review didn't really annoy me at all, it was exactly what I expected from Topgear :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

probably a stupid question but do those charging stations only have space/plug for one car at a time at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Is there a charge for charging ?

When you do run out of juice on a long journey the AA are not gonna bring out a can of electricity to you... Gonna be a tow to the nearest plug in point and a long wait in the middle of nowhere.

How far do you get out of a full charge ?

I get over 900kms out of €60 of a full tank of petrol !

How much for a full charge price wise on your bill ?

also the batteries on them use the same technology as a laptop battery... and a laptop battery will last about 3-4 years depending on use and that... what happens when a battery dies on the car ? if it needs to be replaced will it cost much ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

freighter wrote: »
    DERV came doen 4 cents last week.

Why on earth do people refer to Diesel as Derv.

Derv stands for Diesel Engined Road Vehicle... not diesel fuel.

Diesel is Diesel the world over.

What do these people call petrol......Perv??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

is anyone else fed up with the continued escalation of the price of PERV

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

pa990 wrote: »
    is anyone else fed up with the continued escalation of the price of PERV

:D

imagine if your house got perv bombed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Chief--- wrote: »
    What do these people call petrol......Perv??

Perverts do drive petrols, they are quietier and make perving easier.

How could you go unnoticed perving with the clitter clatter of a VAG 1.9

Perverts by nature care nothing of torque.

Absurdum wrote: »
    probably a stupid question but do those charging stations only have space/plug for one car at a time at the moment?

No not a stupid question, for now all I've seen is fast charging stations with one port. Not all stations are completed though, maybe later ones that aren't in the cities will have more than one? The fast charging manufacturer certainly makes dual port ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The replacement cost of batteries will kill these off. One can have as little as two years life expectancy on fast chargers and not more than six years on the slow chargers.

Makes resale almost impossible. When one adds all the factors in, and as soon as they start taxing fuelling points, which they will, there will be no saving.

The battery running down cannot be over emphasised, Fukushima's last line of defence ~ it does not work.

And can one imagine the queue of cars waiting half an hour at the 'pumps' .....

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Dutchie

EV's can't even get from Dublin to Monaghan, how much fuel did the tow truck use getting there.
    [IMG][/img]AA060676ECB746A3B5511898D2125F95-0000340186-0002469946-00800L-462801B7D0874640BE212C7E0A6A6795.jpg

robbie_998 wrote: »
    Is there a charge for charging ?

When you do run out of juice on a long journey the AA are not gonna bring out a can of electricity to you... Gonna be a tow to the nearest plug in point and a long wait in the middle of nowhere.

How far do you get out of a full charge ?

I get over 900kms out of €60 of a full tank of petrol !

How much for a full charge price wise on your bill ?

also the batteries on them use the same technology as a laptop battery... and a laptop battery will last about 3-4 years depending on use and that... what happens when a battery dies on the car ? if it needs to be replaced will it cost much ?

If you mean the FCP? Fast Charging Points in Topaz/Texaco etc. They're free at the moment.

If in the unlikely event I've ignored repeated warning from the internet connected on-board computer, which knows where charging stations are and updates itself online, then the car comes with 1 year free Nissan EV breakdown assistance. I'll get towed to the near fast charging station which shouldn't be more than 60km away and will take 30 minutes to get me to 84% There is also stuff like this:

http://steeringnews.com/nissan-leaf-jaf

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2011/07/carscom-field-trial-mobile-ev-quick-charging-.html <- I like this kind of "can do" attitude :D

I get about 130 to 140 kilometres if I am doing nearly all motorway driving. I get about 180+ kilometres if I'm doing mostly suburban/urban driving. 160 is a fair average.

If you look at my screenshot from the online portal page for my car, you'll see in the month of July I did 2119.8 kilometres and it cost me 17 euro and 82 cent (excluding vat at 13.5%). A full charge from 0% to 100% costs about 2 euro on night rate. Before anyone asks that doesn't mean I need to run out at midnight to plug the car in then so I get night rate. You can plug it in whenever you like and have preprogrammed schedules for Monday to Sunday. For me I have the car set as follows:

Monday to Thursday:
    Start charging at 00:10
    Charge to 80%

Friday to Sunday
    Start charging at 00:10
    Charge to 100%

There are two ports at the front, one for ordinary charging and one for DC fast charging. When you plug into a fast charger the scheduler is automatically ignored and it begins charging immediately. If I want to start charging at home straight away, there is a dedicated button to the right of the steering wheel. If I press it there is a 15 minute time window in which the scheduler is paused. If I plugin within that time window the car starts charging immediately.

gbee wrote: »
    The replacement cost of batteries will kill these off. One can have as little as two years life expectancy on fast chargers and not more than six years on the slow chargers.

Makes resale almost impossible. When one adds all the factors in, and as soon as they start taxing fuelling points, which they will, there will be no saving.

The battery running down cannot be over emphasised, Fukushima's last line of defence ~ it does not work.

And can one imagine the queue of cars waiting half an hour at the 'pumps' .....

The internet is great :D Care to substantiate any of that? Officially Nissan say the battery pack will still have 80% capacity after 10 years, that includes with occasional fast charging. Where are you getting your information? In the US the Leaf has an 8 year warranty with the battery, so I think that's Nissan backing up their claim.

I think you're also assuming battery technology will stay the same forever. The Nissan Leaf's battery technology is already old. It's on the market now, but it was developed and researched years ago. What's coming in future will be far superior.

Dutchie wrote: »
    EV's can't even get from Dublin to Monaghan, how much fuel did the tow truck use getting there.

I personally know a Nissan Leaf owner who travelled from Clonee, Dublin to the Topaz in Monaghan. So I guess you're wrong :) I don't know if he took a picture of his car there, but if he has I'll ask him to post it up. He has an account on Boards.

*edit*

Curiosity has gotten the better of me, so I've forwarded your picture to the head of ESB ecars marketing asking for a comment :) That's obviously their car and I know they only got it very recently. As I said I know personally another Leaf owner who drove from Clonee, Dublin to Monaghan without an issue. So I'd love to know how ESB ecars managed to mess this up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Tito Ortiz

i was in Dublin yesterday and the garage on the Quays was 1.39 and my local is charging 1.46 :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

my fuel suppliers prices seems pretty steady as well :D
    But your fuel supplier's price will jump by 12% in one go, and will do it again in 3 months. I know your fuel still works out comparatively cheaply but it would be nice to be able to convert natural gas into electricity at home, or maybe have a few solar panels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

If you mean the FCP? Fast Charging Points in Topaz/Texaco etc. They're free at the moment
    Do you know how much of your total consumption so far has come from these?

Advertisement