Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam summer sale

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

ShaneU wrote: »

Couldn't recommend Far Cry 2 to anyone, those respawning checkpoints were just a stupid decision.

Did you ever consider just driving through them? You don't have to clear them out every single time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Everyone get Jamestown (got it up and running even if I had to return to the depths of Windows XP :P).

It's bullet heaven.
    On your esteemed recommendation so be it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Did you ever consider just driving through them? You don't have to clear them out every single time.
    And then they chase you down in their jeeps.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Hmm. Never seems a problem for me. I just hit them at speed and was long gone before they got their jeeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭Nollog

Everyone get Jamestown (got it up and running even if I had to return to the depths of Windows XP :P).

It's bullet heaven.

What is this game all aboot then?
    Looks meh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a bullet hell shooter that will chew you up and kick your ass and is supposedly far from meh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Manach wrote: »
    On your esteemed recommendation so be it :)

Just make sure you don't play it on normal! Knock it up if you can.

Old school shooters ain't for everyone, buy at that price it's worth the risk :) it's a damn good introduction to one of gamings nichest but most rewarding genres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

/\/ollog wrote: »
    What is this game all aboot then?
    Looks meh.

There's a 'Quick Look' on Giantbomb: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-jamestown/17-4400/

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

Is it just me or do direct2drive seem to be doing better deals than Steam this summer? Steam seem to be just rehashing old sales from Christmas whereas direct2drive currently have Civilization V for €12 and Empire: Total War for €4.50 all on the same day, way better deals than anything I've seen on Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Just bought the GTA IV pack. 32GB :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I've managed to not spend any money this week yet. Everytime I feel like getting something I just look at the list of 231 games already in my steam library. Most of which I've never installed. Although I was tempted to get the most recent King's bounty to complete the trilogy of games I haven't played....

I've managed to not spend any money this week yet. Everytime I feel like getting something I just look at the list of 231 games already in my steam library. Most of which I've never installed. Although I was tempted to get the most recent King's bounty to complete the trilogy of games I haven't played....

This...

I've got a fair couple of games this week but I'm worried about my capacity to actually get through them - and worse, I feel bad having them there and not having them completed or at least a fair stab made at them.

Having kids and the associated lack of time and sleep makes gaming less enticing. At least until he is old enough to play along with!

In terms of todays sale - I've heard GTA4 is just a good fun title to own that has enough content and style to keep people entertained for at least 9 quids worth of time.

Batman AA was a great play for me, I got the entire way through and enjoyed all of it.

Killing floor is fine provided you have people you know to play with, for a Horde based shooter it is actually somewhat scary, but I don't like the way some of the "creatures" get a little random as you progress.

Prototype is meant to be sandbox fun - again with plenty of scope for style. I heard it described as a little bit Just Cause 2, a little bit Spiderman 2 (on console) and a few other titles thrown in, in a somewhat satisfying experience.

Lost planet co op is meant to be fairly good - not sure though as its metascore aint great. I didn't get it.

Zombie Atom Smasher is meant to be brilliant - I didn't get it but people on reddit seem to love it.

How many more days will the sale run? I'm already down around 70 quid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

They have only a limited chase distance but even so simply park 100m away and kill them with your minigun on the roof.

I liked it myself, I played through every side mission, got every weapon unlocked etc. The only side mission I could not see was the
    Option of saving your friends in the bar or the church, I went for the bar but forgot to save before hand so never got a chance to see what happened when I saved the church

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

So I picked up Batman AA.

Question, is it one of those games that runs fine with a keyboard and mouse, or will I have to use my gamepad to get the best out of it - control wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

So I picked up Batman AA.

Question, is it one of those games that runs fine with a keyboard and mouse, or will I have to use my gamepad to get the best out of it - control wise?

I played through it with keyboard and mouse no problem.

Burgo wrote: »
    I played through it with keyboard and mouse no problem.

Same - was fine, bit consoley but I didn't feel I was hampered by using keyboard mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Everytime I feel like getting something I just look at the list of 231 games already in my steam library.
    Aside from games such as BLOPs, Duke, Battlefield which I'll buy anyhoo's, any of the other games I buy, I will play the "demo" for a few days before I buy it, to check if I'll actually play it when I buy it.

Have saved me money in the past when a game looks great, but plays like a blindfolded small pig trying to jump through a hole in wall 5 feet from the ground with a ball of lead attached to its tail... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

i bought gta4 pack there. feck it, 8 quid. biggest reason i stoped playing it on ps3, becouse it looked like arse... phone calls from twats i dont want hang out too.

do car mods and bits by bits work on steam version? i know that epic hd mod is not, but car mods and separate addons?

any good website for such stuff?

Im pretty sure alot of the car mods will work with the latest version of the game. I have the boxed version of GTA4 and had it fully up to date about 12 mths ago (the last time I had it installed) and i could get all the car mods I wanted working.

Heres what I think is the best site for all the mods you'd want -
    www.gta4-mods.com

Just read the readme before installing anything obviously.

Anyone whos bought the complete pack on Steam; I want Episodes from Liberty City but already have GTA4 on DVD. Will this allow me to just download the DLC from Steam. I really cant cope with 31gb on my connection.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Agricola wrote: »
    Anyone whos bought the complete pack on Steam; I want Episodes from Liberty City but already have GTA4 on DVD. Will this allow me to just download the DLC from Steam. I really cant cope with 31gb on my connection.

Yep, the episodes will show up as a separate item in your library so if you install your disc and activate it on Steam you should be able to download and play just the DLC AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭jigsaw 1

Im pretty sure alot of the car mods will work with the latest version of the game. I have the boxed version of GTA4 and had it fully up to date about 12 mths ago (the last time I had it installed) and i could get all the car mods I wanted working.

Heres what I think is the best site for all the mods you'd want -
    www.gta4-mods.com

Just read the readme before installing anything obviously.

The game and dlc are seperate downloads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

You dont need to install GTA4 to play episodes. I have GTA4 on disc too, bought the pack and just installed episodes, works fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭Nollog

there are complete mods for all 3 games

Where these be?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A google of 'stalker complete' brings up this as the first result:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Can't believe I've spent 55 quid so far in the sale, just did a quick review of my purchases:

Zombie Smasher 2,99 EUR
    King's Bounty: Collection 5,99 EUR
    Gothic Universe Edition 5,74 EUR
    AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! 3,06 EUR
    Monday Night Combat 2,87 EUR
    AI War Bundle 3,74 EUR
    Beat Hazard - Ultra 1,12 EUR
    Fallout: New Vegas - Dead Money 2,99 EUR
    Fallout New Vegas Honest Hearts DLC 2,99 EUR
    The Void 4,49 EUR
    Borderlands 4,99 EUR
    Terraria 7,49 EUR
    Borderlands DLC Pack 5,99 EUR

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Damnit. I'm buying Batman again. I've already finished the regular and GOTY edition on the 360, but I'd love to see it running full whack on a decent PC. At only 7.49, it would be rude to not....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

chrislad wrote: »
    Damnit. I'm buying Batman again. I've already finished the regular and GOTY edition on the 360, but I'd love to see it running full whack on a decent PC. At only 7.49, it would be rude to not....
    The PhysX addition on the PC are a nice touch (if you have a Nvidia card that will allow it). Nothing ground breaking, but only adds to the immersion. Makes it look even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The PhysX addition on the PC are a nice touch (if you have a Nvidia card that will allow it). Nothing ground breaking, but only adds to the immersion. Makes it look even better.

Have a 1gb ATI Radeon HD 5700. Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

chrislad wrote: »
    Have a 1gb ATI Radeon HD 5700. Any good?

Nope. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Todays deals:

Risen - €7.49
    Command & Conquer 4 - €5
    CS:Source - €4.99
    Rift - €12.49
    Cities XL - €7.99
    Quake - €2.49
    Audiosurf - €1.49
    Sanctum - €3.75