Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam summer sale

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

none whatsoever

i havent played clear sky, but i've heard it's the weakest of the 3. pripyat (imo) didn't have the same atmospheric feel to it as chernobyl but it was still a very solid game, and there are complete mods for all 3 games which you should install as soon as you get the games. They just improve everything about all 3 games.

there are different complete mods for each of the 3 games, and they're straightforward to install. just download, hit install. done.

what you could do is start up chernobyl and run around for 10-20 minutes, then install the complete mod just to get a feel for how much of an improvement it is.. graphically at least.

==edit

just bought clear sky \o/ \o/ \o/

wont be able to play it until next week though :(

I enjoyed Clear Sky. It's the weaker of the 3 but still a good game imo. The opening section is a bit crappy but it gets much better after that.

@Agricola re. the first game being difficult bear in mind that early on you can't go running and gunning. You need to be very careful. The first combat mission is tricky but take it slow and steady, aim with iron sights and you'll get through it. Grab as much stuff as you can and sell it, take all the side missions going in the first area, make cash and get better weapons and so on. One of the all time greats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

ríomhaire wrote: »
    Some quality games on sale. Anyone who doesn't own S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or Deus Ex
    A) Shame on you!
    B) Buy them now.

Nah, I have low tolerance for frustration and inventory management. Even the most streamlined modern RPGs annoy me at times. As such, I'm especially reluctant to delve back 11 years (in the case of Deus Ex) to experience some ugly, UI nightmare. :p

Was tempted to buy the most recent STALKER title, but seems you can only get it for three fiddy if you own one of the prequels on Steam.

Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Is King Arthur any good? It has a decent metascore but reviews are a little mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Deus Ex didn't age well at all, don't think i could replay through the ugliness. System Shock 2 still looks great though, wouldn't mind replaying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Oh, just saw that the two Penny Arcade games are on sale for less than two euro.

Yoink!
    You can really get some good deals if you go into the games for less than a fiver section, and then sort by price.
    Both OddWorld games (Odyssey and Exodus)are 84c each. Munch's is €1.69
    Second sight is €3 (kinda tempted by that one despite not knowing too much about it)
    The Longest Journey (never played it but it's supposed to be brilliant) is €2.49

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

KilOit wrote: »
    Deus Ex didn't age well at all, don't think i could replay through the ugliness. System Shock 2 still looks great though, wouldn't mind replaying that.

System Shock 2 definitely looks worse than Deus Ex. My advice is to get the DX10 fan mod for Deus ex that adds pixel shaders, high res textures and HDR lighting. Looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Is King Arthur any good? It has a decent metascore but reviews are a little mixed.

The battles aren't as well controlled or defined as in Total War, which would be the main comparative game series. This is the main weak point of the game, but in itself it's not bad at all. Just not as good as TW.

The campaign map side of things is more or less the same - with one addition. Quests. You can have your heroes (read as - Generals) do quests as well as fight battles, which allows them to gain themselves or your realm various abilities or buffs, etc. Some of those abilities stray (a lot) into the realms of magical spells, etc - time of Merlin after all.

Religion is also decently done - pagan vs new Christianity, and similar to in Shogun if you accept one you piss the other off. Both choices with bonuses and penalties.

If you like the Total War series, but won't get pissed off with a little less polish, go for it. Well worth the sale price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You can really get some good deals if you go into the games for less than a fiver section, and then sort by price.
    Both OddWorld games (Odyssey and Exodus)are 84c each. Munch's is €1.69
    Second sight is €3 (kinda tempted by that one despite not knowing too much about it)
    The Longest Journey (never played it but it's supposed to be brilliant) is €2.49

Longest Journey has a fascinating story but there's some seriously obtuse puzzles in it that stalled my progress :(

Second Sight is good fun, probably would need a gamepad though.

And I'd love Munchs Odyssey (only Oddworld game I haven't played) but again most games aren't kind to us Mac users. On the plus side, means sales are safer to wade into ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Second Sight is good fun, probably would need a gamepad though.
    Have a 360 controller. Think I might purchase it. Looking at the steam forums for it though, seems there might be a problem with Vista 64-bit. Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Got Deus Ex (can you believe I've never finished that ?) and King Arthur Collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When does the Steam sale end? Hoping it lasts after payday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

July 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

the_syco wrote: »
    When does the Steam sale end? Hoping it lasts after payday.

We lost anather soul lads!! ;)

I just don't turn on the damn thing now. I already blew 20 quid and haven't even played the games!

+1 on stalker lads. It's awesome game. Not buying it for 2.5eu is the stupider thing to do!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Thanks to kearneybobs and The Amazing Dot Cotton for the invites, one more achievement in the bag, now to spend some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

the amount of games i have bought because "hey its so cheap why wouldnt i" is getting ridonculous, im bloody buying games i already own just to have them on steam ffs :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I just bought my first few games from the sale, nothing to incredible though, so far I'm a bit disappointed as the games I am interested in aren't discounted anything more than usual, although it did finally get me round to buying a few independent games I always wanted to have a go at.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

topped up my o2 card so I hope to maybe get something tonight,I've got 19.95 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

I don't have the time to play half of what I bought, I thought that'd stop me from buying anything, but oh no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

ríomhaire wrote: »
    Some quality games on sale. Anyone who doesn't own S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or Deus Ex
    A) Shame on you!
    B) Buy them now.

Which is the best of the S.t.a.l.k.e.r. series?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Which is the best of the S.t.a.l.k.e.r. series?

original +oblivion lost mod

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

chernobyl is the first and best, get the complete 2009 mod for chernobyl first and once you finish the game like that you can check out the oblivion lost mod or whatever other mods there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Picked up Deus Ex and a few other indie titles, but am very dissappointed by the sale so far.
    Was tempted by Stalker pack, but I already have Chernobyl and not really interested in the sequel and prequel

Is there an add-on for Deus ex to improve the graphics. In work at the moment and cant really go searching.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I too would like some direction of deus ex mods to improve things please :)
    Just bought it at lunchtime today.
    Add stalker chernobyl to the list too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I bookmarked these Deus Ex mod links the last time they were mentioned on boards. It's been a while and I never got around to trying them, so I'm not sure of the current quality/life of the mods:

http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision
    http://www.offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Picked up Deus Ex and a few other indie titles, but am very dissappointed by the sale so far.
    Was tempted by Stalker pack, but I already have Chernobyl and not really interested in the add-ons

clear sky and pripyat aren't add-ons, they're full length games. And I mean full length in terms of the stalker series, probably 4-5 times longer than a regular fps game.

clear sky and pripyat aren't add-ons, they're full length games. And I mean full length in terms of the stalker series, probably 4-5 times longer than a regular fps game.
    I know that, I just didn't have a better term to descibe them in terms of the original game.
    Saying "I already have Chernobyl and not really interested in the 2 full length games, and I mean full length in terms of the stalker series, probably 4-5 times longer than a regular fps game, that are from the same series" just didn't roll off the keyboard as well

i believe the words are sequel and prequel

i believe the words are sequel and prequel
    Happy now? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Dcully wrote: »
    I too would like some direction of deus ex mods to improve things please :)
    Just bought it at lunchtime today.
    Add stalker chernobyl to the list too :P

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3291047#post375169971

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

GTA IV Complete €8.74 http://store.steampowered.com/app/901583/

on sale

Killing Floor
    Left 4 Dead Franchise
    Batman: Arkham Asylum: Game of the Year
    Sims 3 Franchise
    Gothic Franchise
    Far Cry Franchise
    King's Bounty Franchise
    Lost Planet 2