Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

went last night, great show, got the crowd going, one guy was forced to leave after throwing a bottle at the ring, "I didn't meant to throw it" feck sake tried begging not to be thrown out,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Nah would have loved to have gone but am way too much of a Eurovision junkie! :o How did it go anyway? Would love to see far more of these over 18 events. It's high time the Irish scene started getting the finger out and trying to cultivate a more mature audience the likes of which you get in countries like Germany, Canada and the States. It just takes a bit of imagination and clever marketing. Well done for this initiative lads and for others that have been put on in recent years! Now get your asses down the South East here one of these days and target WIT and places like that for starters. :cool:

It's unfair to compare Ireland to those countries. For a start, there are many more people there which means bigger markets for more niche products (to quote a recent episode of 'Episodes': "say what you want about Americans...there are a lot of them.")

Also wrestling is perceived differently in different parts of the world. In Canada, Germany and Japan, for example, it's respected as if a competitive sport. In Ireland, it's seen as children's entertainment. As such, adults who follow it are somewhat sneered at and, thus, slow to come out of the woodwork for events like this (you wouldn't believe the amount of people who've gotten onto me since the Mania party saying they'd have loved to have gone, for example).

Then you divide the number of adult WWE fans down considerably to people willing to support Indy wrestling. That's a low, low amount of people. And they're in an age bracket where disposable income isn't very plentiful right now. So if there was one every week, people would start picking and choosing and it would go downhill fast.

So fair play to MSW, when I heard the idea I thought it was genius. Perfect location, perfect market and a perfect way to get the brand out there. I saw some pics and it looks great, delighted they got the weather for it and it went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭sockmo

Fantastic show last night, the main event was particularly great. Hope they have more regular shows in fibbers cos the venue was perfect and looked very professional, some quality wrestling, cheap beer and best of all no scummer kids wrecking your head, success!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Smithey88

Nah would have loved to have gone but am way too much of a Eurovision junkie!
    It's high time the Irish scene started getting the finger out and trying to cultivate a more mature audience the likes of which you get in countries like Germany, Canada and the States

Says the person who didnt go.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Whiplash

the show was unreal. The best photojob ever. Thank you MSW for having me! heres a few of the 600+ photos i took.

546389_10150847233663946_614466529_n.jpg

560702_10150847237823946_1752140580_n.jpg

544766_10150847238298946_1313738002_n.jpg

560202_10150847248008946_602943945_9941269_481905935_n.jpg

525769_10150847274643946_602943945_9941418_1915776802_n.jpg

578106_10150847289243946_602943945_9941499_1580999487_n.jpg

165985_10150847292923946_602943945_9941521_2066278197_n.jpg

544818_10150847318973946_602943945_9941718_28746024_n.jpg

535805_10150847332368946_602943945_9941815_1017179596_n.jpg

537540_10150847346913946_602943945_9941926_1057305822_n.jpg

547716_10150847358793946_602943945_9942009_1333402362_n.jpg

556270_10150847373683946_976422158_n.jpg

403423_10150847374758946_602943945_9942195_1194852115_n.jpg

543024_10150847397543946_602943945_9942503_879944321_n.jpg

150104_10150847402363946_602943945_9942578_790072853_n.jpg

If anyone would like to look at them all the album is public for the time being so feel free to have a look

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150847224143946.409090.602943945&type=3&l=268cf667d7

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Does anyone have a basic rundown of results?

Never really thought about the actual setting. Super bright night to run a show too.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Whiplash

Paddy Morrow d. Robbie Morrissey in a great opening match

A drinking contest is announced. Kazza brings vodka to the ring. This is interupted by Father Soul who dumps the booze over the ropes. He gets on the mic and runs down the crowd for being smelly drunkan rockers and sinners. Lycan confronts him and then is attacked with a chair from behind by Omen. Lycan is helped out of the ring by security.

Damien Corvin with Leah Owens d. Tucker after an exciting match

Irish Dragon d. Go Tapa and Johnny Notaro is a highflying 3 way dance.

The fibbers crowd are met by 2 Justin Beiber wannabes forming thier own boy band( The Justin Beiber Experience). Danny Butler enters and beats the hell out of them and saves the crowds ears from the wannabes version a beiber song. Big Bad Hynesie Comes to the ring and sneak attacks Butler.

Big Bad Hynesie d. Danny Butler in a hard hitting entertaining match with the aid of a chair and lots of interferance from the Justin beiber experience.

Pierre Marceau and Katey Harvey d. Bonesaw and Kazza in mixed tag action which seen Kazza get gorilla press slammed by the french man.

Lycan d. Omen with father Soul in an insane Street fight which seen the use of many weapons such as kendo sticks, chairs, crutches and thumbtacks to name a few. Lots of brawling throught the crowd and at one point Omen was thrown into the ajoining pubs beer garden onto some unsuspecting punters!

If i have left anything out I'm sure someone from Msw will post up the official results at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

rovert wrote: »
    Ive been following Bam Katraz's blog:

Very interesting stuff on peak IWW, DCW!!!!, himself, Blake Norton, Sheamus, Simon Rochford etc.

Enjoyable reading alright, but the bit about Rochford went on forever and ever. It was almost like a blow for blow account of everything that ever happened.

Ill have a nose again later for more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Smithey88

gimmick wrote: »
    Enjoyable reading alright, but the bit about Rochford went on forever and ever. It was almost like a blow for blow account of everything that ever happened.

Ill have a nose again later for more.

Whats with Irish wrestlers blogs lately? :confused:
    I just don't get the aspect of them.

- Sadly theres barely an Irish wrestling scene. It aint uncommon to get 50 people at a venue. Let alone how many of that 50 would view your blog? So who are they blogging too? ... Friends, family, trainees / fellow wrestlers? ... Then why use your gimmick name? :confused:

- How intriguing can the content they blog about be? ... for those reading please dont take that as a disrespectful comment by me. But think of it this way. Whos blog would you rather read? jennifer aniston or the recurring extra in the background talking about Friends? ... By that I mean I would rather read Sheamus or Fergal Devitt's blog than, again must state i'm not being disrespectful, an unknown indy wrestler who may or may not make it. As who has more to write about. Fergal wrestling in the Toyko Dome or Sheamus at mania ... compared to someone getting on the 78 bus from town to wrestle in GAA halls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Smithey88 wrote: »
    Whats with Irish wrestlers blogs lately? :confused:
    I just don't get the aspect of them.
    - How intriguing can the content they blog about be?

It's interesting to learn about the politics of wrestling. That they even occur in Irish wrestling is interesting enough, learning about the motives and small mindedness behind them intrigues me.

The work that goes into being an indy wrestler has interest to me.

Anybody can have a blog these days. Even the most uninteresting of my friends has one. I'd much rather read Bam's blog, than any of theirs.

• Advertisement

Stop being a dope mate. It's a blog, like an online diary, in that anyone can have one and you don't need to read it and the writers don't need to have it validated by having x amount of readers. People have blogs about their cats. I'm sure somewhere out there there's a blog about a cat who was once in the Tokyo Dome. Apparently 'taking place in the Tokyo Dome' is a must for you to find a story interesting. So maybe you'll appreciate that. There's really something for everyone, it's the joys of the Internet.

You can find out who I am by the links in my sig if you want, though it looks like you're a bitter ex-trainee looking to have a go anyway, so I'm guessing you know me. Now stop thinking that using smileys frequently :) makes :p you sound ;) intelligent :o. It doesn't. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Why is everyone being real ratty with each other here this morning? Leave it off.

Ah I just hate when people use boards and anonymous aliases to air their gripes and get digs in. And yer man kinda outed himself with how much he knows in the last post. But yeah, you're right, no point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I found the things said about the behind the scenes IWW quite interesting. If you don't like it Smithy thats your deal, but please do not be so condescending and ratty about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

With so much Pro Wrestling blog and podcast material out there, it's about cherry picking the most intriguing for you and I find it interesting that an Irish wrestler has decided to open up about the going ons behind the scenes in one of the Irish feds.

I don't know if there's a thing about Irish wrestlers begin reserved online about the business because I don't use Facebook but none are regulars on here so it's a cool unique read.

Wouldn't hold my breath on Devitt writing anything about his career even when it is done. I know someone who flat out asked him that. He is just a private guy who doesn't think anyone would be interested.

Shoot interviews or books with lower level or never were wrestlers are much more interesting and introspective than big stars. Books by big stars are usually up their own hole.

Anyway's blogs hardly require a high standard of writing or viewership. So blah. Bam went into the writing the blog with the expectation that no one would read it. Lo and behold it was well written and considered about things people here are interested so people are reading.
    gimmick wrote: »
    I found the things said about the behind the scenes IWW quite interesting. If you don't like it Smithy thats your deal, but please do not be so condescending and ratty about it.

IWW left a lot of people wondering what happened as they really had something going for a while then it totally fell off the cliff post-IWW Whiplash TV then re-emerging as a cheap as chips Irish version of Brian Dixon's All Star Wrestling with pretty much a completely different roster with most of the old names calling it a day or wrestling elsewhere. Personally I am not looking for SLEAZE just what happened to that promotion I invested time in.

He gives a great account, in fairness. I was only saying that to him a while back. I dunno if I agree with everything he says, but that's his perspective and it's what makes it interesting for me. And, to me, that stuff is a good story.

Some people mightn't like this but, for me, Irish Whip made pro-wrestling possible in Ireland on the scale it is today. You've no idea how, every time I see or hear something to do with Irish wrestling today, it resembles something that we started. I see Simon's handprints everywhere, stuff Darren Burridge brought over in training, right down to things the ring crew did or things I did in promotion and organising. And to then see companies like MSW come along, take that all and go a new direction (like with the Fibber's show), and for it to work is really cool.

Some day Irish wrestling will get the kind of mainstream appeal it deserves (and it already is, in a way, with the success of Sheamus) and the stories Bam is telling are all a part of how that begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bring Back Celtic Pro Wrestling. CpW

I'v heard DCW did a show in Lexilep yesterday. Anybody know how true this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

havent heard anything from any sources so would say its a load of rubbish

montyrebel wrote: »
    havent heard anything from any sources so would say its a load of rubbish

There was a fair that advertised "Wrestling"

• Advertisement

Yesterday and today as part of the Leixlip Festival but no idea if it was DCW.

http://www.leixlipfestival.com/pages/theEvents.php

Could also have been Irish Whip Wrestling, they did a wee fair in my town last year

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bring Back Celtic Pro Wrestling. CpW

I'v just been giving word that it was indeed DCW, they used the DCW ring with DCW on the ropes. They had 5 wrestlers on the show. Working Class John, LA Warren, Anthony Idol, Space Cadet and some fat kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭NLW_Info

I'v just been giving word that it was indeed DCW, they used the DCW ring with DCW on the ropes. They had 5 wrestlers on the show. Working Class John, LA Warren, Anthony Idol, Space Cadet and some fat kid.

There goes wrestling in Leixlip anyway!!
    Its a shame when a group puts on what sounds like a lack-luster show. I didn't see the show, and I'm taking nothing away from the lads that worked it. I'm sure they all did their best to make it something decent. But with 5 wrestlers I could probably safely assume it was a let-down. And one of them is described as "some fat kid". I'm not saying NLW get it right every single time, but we damn sure try. Whoever orgainised a 4 man card featuring "some fat kid" clearly didn't try very hard.
    Its just a shame because all shows fall under the same category to the casual fan. Not many ppl know the dif between MSW, NLW, DCW or whatever. So for everyone's sake, all the groups should be putting on good shows with wrestlers that look like wrestlers and have talent. Again, nothing against any names mentioned. it's not a dig at them. It's a dig at the promoters who clearly didn't want to produce the best show possible because with those 4 names mentioned and maybe a Dunkan Disorderly, and maybe a Shawn Maxer, and a Mandrake for example the show would certainly look better on paper and that would most likely mean a better show in reality.
    Just my opinion. And i realise that it was probably a short show as part of the Leixlip Festival, but still... come on, make an effort!

To be fair (no pun intended) it was a festival and not a wrestling show. If five guys show up and put on 2 or 3 wrestling matches for free for a few local families then I think that's pretty decent and i'm sure those kids had a great time.

The wrestlers probably had two matches, and then a 5-man battle royal or something, gave the families a good 20-30 minutes entertainment, then let them move on to the next festivity. They had Brazilian Samba dancers at the festival for competition though so all the Dad's were probably keen to move on quick enough.

This is from 2010, don't recognise any of the wrestlers though (think that's IWW's Skater Boi Jeebus with the bandana in his shorts) but it looks like just five guys too maybe the same guys as yesterday. Hopefully they weren't running the ropes with the kids that close to ringside -

HPIM0915.JPG

HPIM0919.JPG

HPIM0918.JPG

HPIM0923.JPG

HPIM0920.JPG

HPIM0921.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

from what I heard lexlip contacted LA warron to get DCW for the festival so the ring was given to LA to use

Looks like the IWW ring, has one of their wrestlers competing, maybe a super wrestling company starting, DCW+IWW combined?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

montyrebel wrote: »
    Looks like the IWW ring, has one of their wrestlers competing, maybe a super wrestling company starting, DCW+IWW combined?

Those photos are from 2010, look at Charisteas' post. I made the same mistake first time I looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TandL

Can Thunder and Lightning become an impressive and record breaking 4 time tag team champions?

Come find out this Saturday

270883_373891725993813_887031611_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 dcw4life

TandL wrote: »
    Can Thunder and Lightning become an impressive and record breaking 4 time tag team champions?

Come find out this Saturday

270883_373891725993813_887031611_n.jpg

So they are the Tag Team Champions, and now next month MSW will be 2 years old, how ****ing great how these guys are still in business? they drove my company DCW away. DCW was the best promotion company and all you bastards took it away from me with your silly ****. Maxizoo now supports them thanks Darren all you MSW heads rot away you'll never mount to me or my DCW.

DCW will live one day and kill all other promotions

Regards
    David Long/Power

Advertisement