Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSX Lion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

faceman wrote: »
    I installed Lion last night on a Core 2 Duo 2ghz iMac with 4gb RAM. No performance issues.

Upgrade went fine but reading back on the thread I havent tested Front Row.

after installing Lion I was then prompted to download an updated iTunes.

Dont like reverse scrolling on the magic mouse so I reverted it to normal setting.

Is there way to swipe between tabs in Safari?

I found to swipe between tabs, you have to set the page swipe option to 3 finger swipe, and turn off the 3-finger window move gesture. That works on Chrome, so I can only assume it works on Safari.

Not sure if this has been posted, but here is the most complete review of Lion you are going to see: http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars

Some really interesting changes under the hood.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

SMB still works fine on my Freecom NAS but AFP has issues with authentication since DHX is dropped in favour of DHX2. I can use SMB until QNAP get their promised updates out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Can you use spaces like you could in snow leopard?

Like is there hot corners on the desktop to activate spaces or at least mission control?

Can you upgrade from snow leopard to lion and keep the dock and all applications installed and as is?

Nope Spaces is gone.

I set up a hot corner for mission control.
    System Preferences > Mission Control > Hot Corners
    But it's also a four fingers up gesture so I might disable the hot corner.
    You can also use four fingers down for expose.

Spaces seemed less messy than mission control since the desktop image wasn't shown and you could activate expose in it and drag windows around clearly.

Can you upgrade from snow leopard to lion and keep the dock and all applications installed and as is?

yes,
    it leaves your dock as is,
    even leaves the wallpaper you had on the desktop when you began installing Lion.
    After leaving the install complete, the only initial difference i could see was the
    addition of the Mission Control, Launchpad & Facetime icons to the dock.

• Advertisement

I've noticed that you can add unique backgrounds to different desktops, which is a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Liking mission control a lot. I was a moderate user of spaces in the past, but merging Exposé and Spaces works quite well for me.

Basically, the Exposé aspect makes it easier to go and organize your spaces.

It's also pretty awesome that instead of a space, apps you fullscreen get their own tile in Mission Control and OSX remembers all this stuff.

I didn't think fullscreening would be much use on a high res screen, but it works quite well for Terminal, Mail and iTunes.

I dunno about XCode in fullscreen mode yet. It's nice to have a little more screen space, but it doesn't suit my dev workflow. Similarly, Safari makes webpages a bit too wide for me, but it's useful for gmail and other sites I'd have open a lot, so I have those in another Mission Control space fullscreen.

I don't really get Launchpad though. Is there a clever way to organize everything that I'm missing apart from laboriously dragging tiles from one page to another?

I also miss the old dashboard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

fasty wrote: »
    I also miss the old dashboard!
    Dashboard is still there, just three finger swipe to the right and it appears, or will appear if you keep going, depending how many windows are open and where you are. It just seems a bit empty now because of the background it is on, but I guess I can just add more widgets....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

As you'd expect, Chris Pirilo has some thoughts/vids up.

Not sure whether to go for this yet. Could probably go for it on my 2008 iMac, though I'm sure if Lion printer drivers will be out yet. Also have a 2007 Macbook which I upgraded from Leopard to SL (did the same on iMac) a while ago, didn't really have any issues. Haven't checked if Office 2004 will still go, but all your apps should remain in tact from an upgrade, right? Including an iLife stuff originally bundled with Leopard? Hesitating slightly in case anything were to go wrong as my Macbook will likely be my workhorse when I start my thesis.

As you'd expect, Chris Pirilo has some thoughts/vids up.

Not sure whether to go for this yet. Could probably go for it on my 2008 iMac, though I'm sure if Lion printer drivers will be out yet. Also have a 2007 Macbook which I upgraded from Leopard to SL (did the same on iMac) a while ago, didn't really have any issues. Haven't checked if Office 2004 will still go, but all your apps should remain in tact from an upgrade, right? Including an iLife stuff originally bundled with Leopard? Hesitating slightly in case anything were to go wrong as my Macbook will likely be my workhorse when I start my thesis.

AFAIK Office 2004 runs on rosetta so it won't work on Lion.
    Anyway if you're writing a thesis you should really be using LaTeX. MacTeX is a great distro to use.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Good site here for seeing what apps are Lion compatible:

http://roaringapps.com/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Installed Lion this morning and so far I've mixed feelings about it.

One major problem I have is how it's changed gestures - I had it set up so three fingers up was to see the desktop and three down was Exposé (or what would now be Mission Control)... is there any way I can put those back in place?

Three finger & a thumb pinch out just isn't a very intuitive way to clear the desktop IMO - the idea of "pushing" things out of the way with a few fingers was though.

Would like to put Mission Control on a downward push too, rather than up.

tl;dr version: There seems to be very little (sometimes no) flexibility in setting what gestures are for what action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

OK I'm definitely holding off on this for a while. Seem to be too many teething problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

I'm the same, could be a while holding off though. historically how soon do apple bring out the .1 update after first release?

Earlier and earlier with each release of OSX! :D

You guys are wusses though, do a backup and take the plunge! It runs find on two Macs for me!

Earlier and earlier with each release of OSX! :D

You guys are wusses though, do a backup and take the plunge! It runs find on two Macs for me!

Working on reports. Can't take the risk that Office won't work or something. Don't have time to be dicking about with installations and reinstalls etc if it doens't work. It can wait a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

My desk top now is empty except for the bar with.

- Finder
    - Chrome
    - Launch Pad
    - Parallels
    ----
    - NW drive1
    - NW drive2
    - Documents
    - Downloads
    - Trash.

everything else is in launchpad.

Other then that I don't see any real improvement yet in the upgrade. They did away with Front Row which is a negative imho.

[edit] Installing I had no issues at all. Spotlight has to run again so the machine runs at a crawl until that caught up.
    - Parallels I had to reconnect to the bootcamp drive as it was looking at the wrong drive.
    - Parallels spammed the launchpad with windows shortcuts (update to parallels last night fixes this).

Working on reports. Can't take the risk that Office won't work or something. Don't have time to be dicking about with installations and reinstalls etc if it doens't work. It can wait a month.

Fair enough! Office 2011 seems to work find for me!

Fair enough! Office 2011 seems to work find for me!

Cool. Hey does it support Fullscreen ?

Office 2011 works fine for me too, but I hardly use it anyway to notice anything minor broken. However I did notice the Solver plugin for Excel crashes, but I never use it.
    It probably won't support fullscreen until it gets updated with the new APIs.

In other third party software news Matlab R2011a and MacTeX are also working fine for me. TeXShop got an update a few days ago and appears to use Resume which is nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Seems to be working fine for me. I'm not sure how i feel about it yet though.

I did a clean install so i'm trying to put some of the essentials back on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Have to say, the new photobooth effects are a scream!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Bleh, first ever freeze on this machine just there. A bit disappointed that Lion was shipped with so many bugs in it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

nesf wrote: »
    Bleh, first ever freeze on this machine just there. A bit disappointed that Lion was shipped with so many bugs in it to be honest.

im in serious trouble here, installed this am and everything seemed to be fine until 10 minutes ago, my first ever mac freeze which it wouldnt shake out of, then i just pulled the plug.

Now all i get is a flashing folder after resart, i suppose Lion has legged it and im most likely left with getting the startup disc out.

Just aswell i backed up before installing lion.

Anyone any ideas what i should do?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭finno

finno wrote: »
    Me too on the serial number. so i did the online form, again more errors but finally got it done just now. Got an email of apple saying it be processed once its validated they will send me a code.

Anyone got an email address for apple i'm still waiting on my code :mad:

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted, but here is the most complete review of Lion you are going to see: http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars

Not read it all yet, but this is excellent. Some very questionable design decisions described on page 3, particularly the scrollbars, will be changing those back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

im in serious trouble here, installed this am and everything seemed to be fine until 10 minutes ago, my first ever mac freeze which it wouldnt shake out of, then i just pulled the plug.

Now all i get is a flashing folder after resart, i suppose Lion has legged it and im most likely left with getting the startup disc out.

Boot from the install disc and try repairing the hard disk using Disk Utility (in the Utilities menu). Then try restarting.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

Boot from the install disc and try repairing the hard disk using Disk Utility (in the Utilities menu). Then try restarting.
    Cheers prof, hard disc is dead just got confirmation so this iMac is going back tomorrow and it's only 8 months old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

i paused lion download and turned off computer, came back on later and it wont come out of the pause, when i click resume it asks for my apple id and password which i put in and still nothing, its stuck on 'paused' do you have to download it all in one sitting no pauses or computert shut down?

• Advertisement

Cheers prof, hard disc is dead just got confirmation so this iMac is going back tomorrow and it's only 8 months old
    I suspected as much. Hard luck it failing just after the installation. At least you have a backup!

Advertisement