Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSX Lion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Annoyed that two finger swiping for back and forward doesn't work in Chrome. Which means I have to use crappy Safari until they get it to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

bettertouchtoolicon.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Annoyed that two finger swiping for back and forward doesn't work in Chrome. Which means I have to use crappy Safari until they get it to work!

whats wrong with safari?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Very handy website to check compatible Apps before you make the switch. If i had have read it i could have saved myself hours yesterday! Switching over and then back.

http://roaringapps.com/apps:table/tags/_l/index_tags/_l

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Nodferatu wrote: »
    whats wrong with safari?

Nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Assuming magic mouse?
    System Preferences > Mouse > More gestures > Change "Swipe between pages" to Swipe with one or two fingers

Presume you can do similar for trackpad.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

One annoying thing about Lion is the swipe to navigate in Finder is gone. Otherwise so far it seems okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I did a clean install last night which went well but I forgot that my iPad 2 and iPhone were synced with iTunes, am I right in thinking that if I sync them now they will update to iOS 4.3.4?
    Also is it possible to change the default search in safari to google.ie instead of google.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You should never pull the plug. Just hold the power button to force a restart.

Holding the power button is the same as pulling the plug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Nodferatu wrote: »
    whats wrong with safari?

Everything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yep straight out without touching the sides!

I'd be dangerous in icu in any hospital just pulling plugs out all over the gaff

That's a hard drive killer move, right there. Once can be enough to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Hi guys,

I'm running a 10.5 version is it worth my while upgrading to 10.6?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Anyone here using Reeder? Lion seems to have made scrolling rubbish in it.

Anyone know how to get the three fingers up and down scrolling (switching between articles and messages) back in Mail and Reeder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

SMB 2.0 works okay. SMB 1.0 doesn't work at all. This is a problem for people with media players that use SMB.

OK I have an Iomega Media Drive which I now can't connect to:o ...any free opensource Samba fixes ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

DominoDub wrote: »
    OK I have an Iomega Media Drive which I now can't connect to:o ...any free opensource Samba fixes ?

Check and see if it works with media server software. I suggested Yazsoft's Playback in the other thread. However, external subtitles don't work; they have to be embedded.

Alternatively you could install Samba using MacPorts. But after seeing what that involves I've decided life is too short. Let me know how you get on if you try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Wow just saw another thread where a guys macbookpro won't shut down post lion installation

seems like there are alot of bugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Anyone try the Airdrop feature yet? Can't see any of my Macs on it. Also can no longer file share between Macs on same network via finder - can screen share though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Anyone try the Airdrop feature yet? Can't see any of my Macs on it. Also can no longer file share between Macs on same network via finder - can screen share though

Yeah, Airdrop worked grand for me for transferring a photo over from one to the other for use as a screensaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

So you can set a hotcorner for expose and mission control?

Was I one of the few people who used spaces on a daily basis?

When you upgrade does it leave apps installed and the desktop icons laid out? Fullscreens apps go proper fullscreen would i still have to use rightzoom to get fullscreen like windows?

Is there still an app folder aswel as that iOS fullscreen crap page? Do all apps whether gotten through appstore or not appear with appstore apps in one view?

Airdrop is basically like shared folders? but it gives you a popup notification and an option to open automatically?

Scrolling is going to annoy me more than some games that have reversed up is down type controls like goldeneye(?) and red faction etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Airdrop isn't supported on my older Mac so I can't test it out! Fuuu!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

DominoDub wrote: »

Iomega are working on a solution. Was raging. Only bought the drive a couple of months ago!

https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28279/notif/1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

According to the XBMC forums the SMB server on Lion works if you specify an IP address as an XBMC client instead of a share name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

T-K-O wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm running a 10.5 version is it worth my while upgrading to 10.6?

yes, 10.6 slimmed down the overall footprint of the OS and removed a lot of legacy, largely now unused stuff. I felt that the move from 10.5 to 10.6 made my mac a little faster.

On a more practical note, upgrade to 10.6 and it'll allow you to upgrade then to Lion for only €23. It's worth it for that alone.

I'd recomment that if you have access to a friend's copy of OSX 10.6, upgrade with that and then buy your copy of Lion.

Actually, what kind of Mac have you got? If it's very old, e.g. ppc, then you can't go with Lion. I'm unsure if 10.6 supported PPC apart from Rosetta. Rosetta is definitely gone in Lion so if you've old PPC software, stay away from Lion.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

im in serious trouble here, installed this am and everything seemed to be fine until 10 minutes ago, my first ever mac freeze which it wouldnt shake out of, then i just pulled the plug.

Now all i get is a flashing folder after resart, i suppose Lion has legged it and im most likely left with getting the startup disc out.

Just aswell i backed up before installing lion.

Anyone any ideas what i should do?

Same thing happened to me and I killed the power as well

This is how I solved it.

Booted from the Snow Leopard disk (Put the disk in and hold C "i think" during startup)
    Ran all the diagnostics and it turned out there was some issue with my hard drive
    Erased the hard drive and restored the last Time Machine backup I had
    Started up in Snow Leopard then installed Lion and it worked fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

squonk wrote: »
    Actually, what kind of Mac have you got? If it's very old, e.g. ppc, then you can't go with Lion. I'm unsure if 10.6 supported PPC apart from Rosetta. Rosetta is definitely gone in Lion so if you've old PPC software, stay away from Lion.

Also, your Mac requires an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor to run Lion. Core Duos aren't supported. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Organised my launchpad icons, think I'll be using it from now on instead of the applications folder.

screenshot20110722at145.png

Set it up as a hot-corner because I can't do the 4-finger pinch gesture very reliably.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭milltown

Ditto. Dunno how many times already I've seen that widgets page trying to go back a page with a two finger swipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hmm, Spinning Beachball of Death problems on Safari now on and off. I miss SL's stability tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

nesf wrote: »
    Hmm, Spinning Beachball of Death problems on Safari now on and off. I miss SL's stability tbh.

Safari always did this to me, which is why I ditched it for Chrome ages ago. Try clearing the cache, cookies, history. You have to do this frequently to keep it running smoothly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Anyone notice this bug?
    Start a full screen app (in my case it's chrome).
    Swipe three fingers to the right which will open dashboard.
    The dock at the bottom will appear and will not disappear when you go back to the full screen app.

Advertisement