Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSX Lion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

Cheers prof, hard disc is dead just got confirmation so this iMac is going back tomorrow and it's only 8 months old
    I suspected as much. Hard luck it failing just after the installation. At least you have a backup!
    Backed up before install so I won't be missing anything.

What's involved with hd replacement and how long will PC world have my machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I suspected as much. Hard luck it failing just after the installation. At least you have a backup!

Is it hard luck ? Installation related perhaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

I missed the tutorial on the initial startup after lion installation. I had an icon with a tux show up. how do i get this going again?

apparently its quite common, was speaking to one of the guys from our IT dept over the last hour and he says its more common than you think during and just after an OS install, he works on the mac side of the IT dept as apposed to the windows/regular failure or problem side

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think the installation creates a hidden Restore partition, so could be related.

• Advertisement

apparently its quite common, was speaking to one of the guys from our IT dept over the last hour and he says its more common than you think during and just after an OS install, he works on the mac side of the IT dept as apposed to the windows/regular failure or problem side

just had a thought for a good T-Shirt

"come to the Mac side (with jobs saying) i am your father"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What's involved with hd replacement and how long will PC world have my machine?
    It's pretty straightforward. A technician would be able to do it in 30 minutes or less. But it's PC World, so... I'd give them a few days.
    It's possible all the hard drive activity during the install killed it sooner, but it would have died anyway.

8 months is actually pretty good for a hard drive. I've had them fail after 8 weeks. The HDD is a crappy, antiquated technology that can't be replaced soon enough.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

im in serious trouble here, installed this am and everything seemed to be fine until 10 minutes ago, my first ever mac freeze which it wouldnt shake out of, then i just pulled the plug.

Now all i get is a flashing folder after resart, i suppose Lion has legged it and im most likely left with getting the startup disc out.

Just aswell i backed up before installing lion.

Anyone any ideas what i should do?

You don't mean literally:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

actually i think its called the set up assistant. does anyone know how i can restart this as i closed it down before i finished it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anyone having bother with the Internet on lion? Mine keeps loosing connection and I have to switch wifi off and on to get it back. Machine was 100% before the update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

gah, i was bored so i went for it.

now i have this bloody screen, no progress in the last hour. Seems like a lot of people are having this problem.

might cancel it altogether I have a bad feeling about Lion that i just cant shake

Screen_shot_2011_07_21_at_205446.png

whiterebel wrote: »
    im in serious trouble here, installed this am and everything seemed to be fine until 10 minutes ago, my first ever mac freeze which it wouldnt shake out of, then i just pulled the plug.

Now all i get is a flashing folder after resart, i suppose Lion has legged it and im most likely left with getting the startup disc out.

Just aswell i backed up before installing lion.

Anyone any ideas what i should do?

You don't mean literally:eek::eek:
    Yep straight out without touching the sides!

I'd be dangerous in icu in any hospital just pulling plugs out all over the gaff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You should never pull the plug. Just hold the power button to force a restart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Sometimes it feels good to hurt the computer back!!! :P

It should be just happy that the magic mouse didn't follow the keyboard through the screen, the plug is the least of it's problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

gah, i was bored so i went for it.

now i have this bloody screen, no progress in the last hour. Seems like a lot of people are having this problem.

might cancel it altogether I have a bad feeling about Lion that i just cant shake

Screen_shot_2011_07_21_at_205446.png

have same problem, when i click install nothing happens, the button disappears as if its about to start downloading but reappears back up 5 secnds later. i too have a bad feeling about lion!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

No SMB support, installation problems etc. Lion is looking more and more like Vista.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭backthephilup

Installed Lion on my iMac and MBP yesterday. Took approximately an hour each and other than having to uncheck the upside down scrolling its working perfectly. In fairness i didn't "have to" uncheck the natural scrolling i just prefer it the unnatural way

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

silvine wrote: »
    No SMB support, installation problems etc. Lion is looking more and more like Vista.

SMB works fine. They just dropped Samba.

SMB 2.0 works okay. SMB 1.0 doesn't work at all. This is a problem for people with media players that use SMB.

• Advertisement

SMB 2.0 works okay. SMB 1.0 doesn't work at all. This is a problem for people with media players that use SMB.
    I prefer smack my bitch(SMB) 1.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭talla

Having a very weird problem. Upgraded lion on iMac and Macbook Pro without any issues. Went to try and upgrade on 2010 Macbook Air, launch App store and go to purchases tab. Either the tab doesn't load or it will just say no purchases. If I try the app store on my iMac and Macbook Pro, same problem happens now. Nothing appears in the purchases tab or it doesn't load.
    It was fine at 9pm when I started the upgrade process on the Macbook Pro.
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

So apparently the new EULA allows this sort of thing...

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/45875/167949.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I thought SMB was short for Samba?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Samba is an open source implementation of the SMB protocol.

talla wrote: »
    Having a very weird problem. Upgraded lion on iMac and Macbook Pro without any issues. Went to try and upgrade on 2010 Macbook Air, launch App store and go to purchases tab. Either the tab doesn't load or it will just say no purchases. If I try the app store on my iMac and Macbook Pro, same problem happens now. Nothing appears in the purchases tab or it doesn't load.
    It was fine at 9pm when I started the upgrade process on the Macbook Pro.
    Any ideas?

Just downloaded and installed a new app. Still nothing appearing on purchases tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Gone back to Snow Leopard for a while. Lion doesn't have support for my stuff at the moment.

I think on first impressions Snow Leopard was a more solid OS in comparison. Lion has the iOS feel about everything and i'm not sure i like that. I'm glad it was only €23.99!

And they took 'Front Row' away for no reason which i used a lot.

Must have been a glitch with the App Store itself. All purchases have re-appeared in the App Store on all machines and I'm now able to install on the Macbook Air.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Downloading now!

• Advertisement

lads,

in case anyone is using Logic Express 8.0.2 , don't upgrade to Lion yet.
    it pops up and error saying it not supported
    167967.png
    there's a work around by typing this into terminal
    work around
    or just follow the path to the file itself and click it.
    it opens the program and seems to work ok but don't now how stable this will be in the long run.
    Unlikely as it is, i hope they release a patch for this.
    Its the one and only problem i've had with Lion, otherwise i'm really liking it so far

Advertisement