Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1: Round 7 - Canadian Grand Prix

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

bbk wrote: »
    I accept that, I never said he could have defended against Button. Webber is who I am on about.
    And I also accept that you cant define DRS setup (as in where it is used) by judging from just two cars. If its perfect for two cars it would be woeful or too easy for others.
    Ah yeah fair enough, however I think that Webber having DRS held Button up more than the benefit Button got from the DRS.
    As I said Button was always going to pass him but Webber was losing so much traction in the important bits that I think it would have been much more interesting to have no DRS then Webber DRSing past. The only good thing I saw from that was Webber underestimating the speed at which he was going into the last corner and messing it up a few times.

The only point I want to really make is that the DRS coming up to the last corner was a bit too much in length. When Webber got it right it was just a breeze past when in reality Schumacher had the edge on Webber or at least more 50/50 before the DRS was enabled. Having said that Schumacher was close at the end but my problem is a car breezing past another like a back marker.

With all that said it contributed greatly to one of the best races I have seen the BBC got coverage back.
    Funny enough there were a few times I was wondering if the DRS was a little too short because it started quite a bit along the straight. I would've loved to see Webber without DRS because I'm certain he still would've gotten alongside Schumi easily, he had good mid-range acceleration and seemingly a pretty good top gear and was unbelievable once he got in a draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Why the boo's for Vettle on the podium?
    i wondered that too, what did he ever do to deserve a bad reaction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

For anyone who missed it it is on satanta now.

Highlights on Red button just at Button and Alonso's altercation, gonna be great from here. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

What a race!! :eek::eek::eek:
    Just had a look at the lap chart on the android F1 app for Button.....
    He started 7th, then was 6th....... fell down to 12th and then 14th.....started to move back up to 11th.. 10th... and 8th....but back down to 11th..... back up again to 10th ... 9th.......then down in 13th, but moved up to 11th......... ended up being last in 21st...... then the charge came and he moved up to 12th, 8th, 9th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd and finally 1st!
    What a rollercoaster ride!
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    Didn't notice that, but did anyone spot the clip board beside Rob Smedly during race - it was partially covered but all you could see at the top was "ME HARD". :eek:

:D:D:D:D

I think it might have said PRIME HARD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Great race even though the officials tried their best to rune it! What were the marshals at, they took ages to remove Alonso's car and the messing about with Heidfeld's wing was amateurish. They didn't even get rid of the all the debris. Charlie probably just brought the SC in to get them off the circuit!

Vettel was unlucky Red bull were caught engine saving. The team didn't see the danger from Buttons pace and get on to Vettel to pick up the pace early enough.
    Amazing race from Button and Schumacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Wow Epic race and epic thread! Was something else. Want to see more like this!
    Missed some of the action due to the change over as I was recording but was happily surprised to still see it going after nine!
    Fair play to Button, a fine race win. was gutted to see Schumacher miss out tho - he also raced fantastically.

Is it just me or does anyone else think the Mclaren garage is starting to look like something from a hip hop video of late?

11811 wrote: »
    Wow Epic race and epic thread! Was something else. Want to see more like this!
    Reverse grids ftw! :pac:
    Is it just me or does anyone else think the Mclaren garage is starting to look like something from a hip hop video of late?
    Money.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bigboy123

11811 wrote: »

Ya and I don't think it's a good thing, hamilton's hip hop entourage look ridiculous in the mclaren garage, fair enough if he wants them there they can stay in the motorhome but rianna in the garage mid race FFS! Compare this to button who just has his father and girlfriend in the garage and are always shown at the very back, not impeding the mechanics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

bigboy123 wrote: »
    Ya and I don't think it's a good thing, hamilton's hip hop entourage look ridiculous in the mclaren garage, fair enough if he wants them there they can stay in the motorhome but rianna in the garage mid race FFS! Compare this to button who just has his father and girlfriend in the garage and are always shown at the very back, not impeding the mechanics

In fairness, Hamilton had been out of the race and the race had been red flagged when they were in the garage looking at the wreck. I don't understand why people are upset about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭v10

v10 wrote: »

Other than Karthekeyan. :pac:

Just watchin a replay and that Heidfeld crash was pretty damn scary.

Just on the last restart I said at the time Schumi had Vettel into the chicane but for the yeloow, would like to see another angle on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭ando

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    i wondered that too, what did he ever do to deserve a bad reaction?

Think people just don’t like when drivers dominate the sport and make it boring. Vettel is doing a great job but he is dominating 90% of it and to some people this is disliked. I enjoyed Button putting Vettel under pressure and passing him, even though Im not a Button fan.. I remember it was the same with Hakkinen and Schumacher when they dominated the sport and made it somewhat predictable and boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

amacca wrote: »
    ah balls

fcukin bbc coverage switching to bbc2.....have recorded all of the stoppage and nothing from midway into the first lap after the restart

just seen the last lap

why cant sky or bbc have something that recognizes when you have set something to record and ensure the recording follows the event to the other channel if they must switch

wonderful piece of tek-nol-o-gee my arse hook.

they are saying it was amazing on the commentary..did i really miss the best race of the season so far?

balls..all the suspense etc is gone out of it

The BBC red button will be repeating the race for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

Fantastic race, gutted for Schumi at the end , but great drive by Button.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭McBauer

Why the boo's for Vettle on the podium?

Apparently the boo's weren't directed towards Vettel. The person who presented the 2nd place trophy to him was the mayor (or some other political figure). Supposedly he isnt very well liked by the people of Montreal and so they were booing him. Makes sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    The BBC red button will be repeating the race for the week.

No red button on the NTL though. Just heard about the channel switching from a mate of mine as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

People are being a bit harsh on the BBC. Fair play to them for staying with it. I'm sure it pissed a lot of non sports fans off. And the channel switch was pretty sensible. The number of people recording the grand prix I am sure was dwarfed by the the number of people who had set their tv to record the new drama at 9 on bbc1. If I was the BBC controller I'd rather piss off a few sports fans than thousands of core viewers.

The beeb coverage was superb yesterday. People talk about vettel being lucky. He's not as lucky as Jake humphries - what a feckin life!!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Have to say it was one of the most exciting racing, imo, in a long time....

I went home at lunchtime today from work to watch the last 8 laps again on my sky box! Brilliant brilliant, brilliant.

I used to travel to races to watch Schumi when he was driving for Ferrari... my last trip was the Nurburgring back in 2005 I think. It was the same year Jordan stopped racing. A rapidly growing family has stopped my F1 weekends since..:)

I would have liked to see him on the podium yesterday... if for no reason than nostalgia. Having said that the 1st place did go to the best driver; that was some ground to make up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

No red button on the NTL though. Just heard about the channel switching from a mate of mine as well.

I was recording the race yesterday using UPC (I was watching it live at the same time anyway), but the recording stopped at around 8.15pm when the original broadcast should have finished! So you mightn't even get to see up to 9pm when they switched the channels.

Overall I thought the BBC coverage was excellent yesterday (as it always is imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Well, i seem to be on my own here but I think the race was a joke. Ruined by the FIA with the safety car on both starts,the tv director, who thinks that we want to constantly see the family members in the garage during the most critical parts of the race and the stupid tyre regs which ruined the end of the last race and I'm sure affected this one too. When they missed webber passing scumacher at the end because they had to show buttons c*nt of a bird dancing around the garage I nearly smashed my TV in frustration.

If I had spent 300+ quid on a grandstand seat, and then only get to see half of the race with the cars actually racing each other I would be fuking pissed. In 16 years of watching F1 religiously, I've never been to a race and I certainly never will now.

Load of b0ll0x.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    16 years and you have never been to a race, armchair fan :) That said if you had been at that race you would have been treated to one of the longest F1 events, decent value for money if you ask me!

I know, I know! But its just too bloody expensive, when you compare to other top categories like Moto GP etc.

Even though I consider the racing to be the best I think its ever been, and there's never been so many top drivers int eh sport at the same time, it just seems to me that the FIA do their upmost to ruin it.

The SC was a joke, Whiting must have watched Senna and come over all safety conscious or something. He's got to be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Electric Red

I thought it was a great race. I agree with EJ on the BBC that we shouldnt have had the safety car start, it robbed us of some great first corner action, especially with the short run up meaning a tightly bunched field.

I also think the bbc did a great job (though felt a new low in commentary when Martin asked DC if he knew that Racecar was Racecar spelt backwards). They had an exceptionally long job to do and was surprised that Jake and EJ werent brought in quicker to interview some of the team principles or anyone that was around!

Roll on Valencia!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

amacachi wrote: »
    I'm really struggling to think of anyway. I suppose he'll insist Turkey and Belgium last year were. :pac:

Funny how you can recall those races & not the ones in Bahrain, Australia & Korea to name a few last year, where Vettel was genuinely unlucky:rolleyes:

On another note it would seem to me that wet weather racing is a thing of the past in F1. More than half the mileage racked up by the wet weather tyres yesterday, were done behind the safety car. Why bother creating a wet weather tyre if there is going to be no racing taking place with it on:mad:
    It seems instead, we have entered a new era of "drying track racing" where it would appear Button is the master of. Fantastic wins yesterday & Australia last year, where he won against all the odds.

Schumi was pretty hot on the inters too, maybe if the safety car had not been out for so long after the second restart he could have been on the podium. Once they changed to slicks and the safety car came out at the end he was a sitting duck with those tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

What do we make of DRS after yesterday then ? Did it mug Schumacher ? He was a sitting duck down that back straight when Button and Webber opened their rear wings.

For me, the weather and the Pirellis threw up enough overtaking moments. DRS yesterday was a bit of overkill.

What a race though, just wow.

Lionbacker wrote: »
    Funny how you can recall those races & not the ones in Bahrain, Australia & Korea to name a few last year, where Vettel was genuinely unlucky:rolleyes:
    My tongue was firmly in my cheek. This year though he's had nothing but luck.
    On another note it would seem to me that wet weather racing is a thing of the past in F1. More than half the mileage racked up by the wet weather tyres yesterday, were done behind the safety car. Why bother creating a wet weather tyre if there is going to be no racing taking place with it on:mad:
    It seems instead, we have entered a new era of "drying track racing" where it would appear Button is the master of. Fantastic wins yesterday & Australia last year, where he won against all the odds.
    Few of us were saying that yesterday when they were putting inters on straight after the SC, ridiculous.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    As soon as it started drying up Schumacher was in trouble, that Merc isnt quick enough in the dry. It was his excellent driving in the Wet that got him up to 2nd.

Yeah, it was nice to flashes of the old rainmeister. In those conditions its the driver who makes the difference and less so the car and I think he showed that he still can fight with the big boys once the playing field is levelled.

This would probably be good for another topic, but I think maybe alot of people are underestimating how good Rosberg actually is and how difficult it must be for Schumacher to adapt to a difficult car with DRS, KERS, erratic tyres and the best teammate he has ever had, where both are equal in the team. All while in his 40's, after 2 years out and with some very good young drivers in the field too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

ratedR wrote: »
    What do we make of DRS after yesterday then ? Did it mug Schumacher ? He was a sitting duck down that back straight when Button and Webber opened their rear wings.

For me, the weather and the Pirellis threw up enough overtaking moments. DRS yesterday was a bit of overkill.

What a race though, just wow.
    I think DRS is necessary, Races have been better since it was introduced.

Advertisement