Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1: Round 7 - Canadian Grand Prix

Options
  • 09-06-2011 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

Bit of a rush job this weekend, I'm off to Silverstone for the MotoGP so apologies for any errors in the preview, I'm sure there is loads!
    After six superb races in 2011 Formula 1 travels across the Atlantic to Montreal for the sports annual thrill ride that is the Canadian Grand Prix.

Year upon year the Quebec street circuit consistently provides one of the most exciting races of the season, given the quality of racing so far this year the thoughts of a “typical” Canadian race has Formula 1 fans frenzied ahead of this weekend’s action.

Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

circuitmap.png?w=634&h=360

The Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is named after one of the sports most beloved former racers and the challenge presented to teams and drivers is quite stark. With three high speed straights mixed in with a wide variety of corner types this somewhat bumpy circuit on public roads provides a range of challenges.

Cars need to be fast in a straight line, stable under braking, have good mechanical grip for corner exit from the hairpins and be able to bounce over kerbs with ease for the chicane. With walls lining the circuit any mistake can be punished and the safety car is constantly on standby waiting for the next crash.

Red Bull’s Mark Webber is a fan of the circuit and eager to be the first Red Bull driver to win a race in Canada. The Australian has stumbled throughout the current campaign but he has shown signs of life in recent races and is looking forward to the weekend:

“The track should provide all the teams with a fresh challenge this year,” said the Australian. “as it will be the first time we run the cars with a completely different aerodynamic set-up to deal with the long straights, but the RB7 should be pretty tidy."

William’s outgoing technical director, Sam Michael, was keen to discuss the challenges facing the teams in terms of setup this weekend in his pre-weekend discussions:

“The Montrealcircuit is a great layout for overtaking and never fails to produce an exciting race.” he said. “With the new tyres and DRS on two straights, I think this year's race will be no exception. Set-up is geared towards aero efficiency on the straights and maximising traction out of the slow speed corners. We will have a new front wing, brake ducts, barge boards and modified diffuser to test during practice, as well as the obligatory new rear wing for the lower drag level required inCanada.”

The activation of a second DRS zone has been met with excitement from the majority of fans. The challenge will still remain for drivers but it is clear that the experiment has been successful in assisting the potential for overtaking rather than guaranteeing a successful move.

The other factor that needs to be remembered aboutMontrealis just how abrasive the track surface is. Last year’s race, won by Lewis Hamilton, was dominated by the fragility of the usually incredibly durable Bridgestone tyres, how will the high degradation Pirelli tyres last this weekend?

Formula 1 2011 revolves around Pirelli tyres….

Paul Hembrey, the sporting chief of Pirelli, was keen to point out just how durable the Italian rubber was inMonaco:

"Monaco was a fantastic race, with three drivers battling closely for the win even though they were using three very different strategies,” he said. “From the data we can see that Sebastian Vettel's tyres would have gone the distance if he had continued to drive on them in the same way that he had been doing up to the red flag period. This means that he could have covered 62 laps, the equivalent of more than 200 kilometres, on the PZero Yellow soft tyre, with an extremely close finish.”

It is worth remembering that with overtaking so difficult it is highly unlikely that Vettel was pushing his tyres to the maximum inMonaco, he is unlikely to have such a luxury this weekend.

"The characteristics of Canada mean that we're unlikely to see a one-stop strategy this weekend,” Hembrey continued. “But we're hoping that the racing will be just as close and that the opportunities for overtaking will give teams even more possibilities than Monaco in terms of race strategy. The pure performance of the PZero tyres was demonstrated by the fact that we were able to set the fastest-ever qualifying lap of Monaco, adding to our record of success, which now includes more than 50 grand prix wins throughout our time in Formula One."

Ross Brawn, the Mercedes technical director, is one of the sharpest tactical minds on the pitlane but the Englishman knows that there are some unknowns for this race:

“All of the teams suffered with big tyre problems because of graining last year,” said Brawn. “So it will be interesting to see how the new Pirelli tyres behave next weekend. It's not easy to predict whether the tyre situation will follow what we experienced in 2010 or whether we will have a different situation. We have two DRS zones which will increase overtaking at a circuit where passing was already possible. With the combination of DRS and the tyres, this should lead to an exciting and eventful weekend."

What to expect this weekend

McLaren have come on leaps and bounds in terms of race pace and while the team still lags behind Red Bull in terms of sheer outright qualifying pace they should not be underestimated this weekend.

The performance of Lewis Hamilton in Barcelona and Jenson Button in Monaco, when both could have been victorious will surely encourage the team in their bid to claw back the title leads of Red Bull and Sebastian Vettel. Also in their favour is their proven record inMontreal, especially forHamilton:

"Montrealis a very special place for me,” said the 2008 world champion. “It's where I took my first Formula 1 pole position and won my first race. I've always got on really well with the track, the layout seems to suit my driving style, and I won there last year from pole position.”

While McLaren has made superb progress since the opening race of the season the team should be able to avail of a much better KERS unit as well as superior traction out of slow corners.

Vettel has opened a commanding lead by winning all but one race in 2011 but the German has been looking vulnerable in recent races. Vettel has driven unbelievable well, particularly by not making a mistake while under supreme pressure inBarcelonaandMonaco. With Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button bearing down hard on him the reigning champion looked ever inch the superstar that he has become but given the speed of McLaren in race trim it is likely that this will be his toughest challenge thus far.

The most interesting element of the weekend could be centred on Ferrari. Which Prancing Horse will appear inCanada, the Monaco Grand Prix runner up or the car that was easily lapped inSpain? Fernando Alonso’s speed and bravery has come to the fore inCanadain the past, particularly in 2006, but the challenge presented to the Spaniard this weekend is the biggest of the season so far.

The Italian team will have new parts available this weekend and it remains to be seen if they will have made a difference but given the recent removal of Aldo Costo as technical director there is little reason for there to be optimism emanating from Maranello.

While the battle at the front of the track always holds garners the majority of headlines the ability of Sergio Perez to race this weekend will also be a major storyline.

The Mexican suffered a sizeable accident inMonacowhile exiting the tunnel and suffered concussion from the incident. The Sauber driver is confident of returning this weekend but will have to undergo a medical examination by FIA doctors before he is allowed to compete.

Perez though was in fine form when he spoke with a Mexican newspaper:

“Everything is fine," he said. "I hope I will be able to race this weekend in Montreal and I am looking forward. It was quite a big shunt but it is part of the game and luckily nothing big happened. I lost consciousness in the accident but I am looking forward to the next race."

When asked about having to undergo the medical exam he added: "I just have to do an exam, and I feel I will be 100 % for the tests. I am looking forward to my next grand prix. I am looking forward to get some points, get some points for the team, and get a good momentum. I am ready for it."

The midfield battle should be intense with Sauber, ForceIndiaand Williams set to snap on the heels of Mercedes and Renault in the battle for the final points scoring position.

This weekend’s weather forecast

With the circuit sitting on an island the weather can be quite fickle inCanadaand as a result it was of little surprise to see rain forecasted this weekend. Friday is expected to be warm and sunny but clouds are set to close in when the weekend starts with rain expected to arrive at some point during the race.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

anyone know where the 2 DRS activation zones are. I Imagine one is on the straight coming into the last chicane. Is the otehr one going into the hairpin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

anyone know where the 2 DRS activation zones are. I Imagine one is on the straight coming into the last chicane. Is the otehr one going into the hairpin?

Afaik it's the last straight(hairpin to chicane) and pit straight. They're consecutive DRS zones with a single detection point if i remember the initial plan right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

I want to see some brave head going DRS open thru chikane :D

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

Cant wait for sat and sun. Last year was one of the worst races for tyre degradation. So expecting (hoping) it will be the same this year. The two compouds at Monaco held up better than expected tho so will b very interesting to see what happens in with the tyre. Also wonder if Mclaren will break the bulls qualy domination. Should be a Cracker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Hamilton said on F1.com that the 3- and 5-stopper are close so I would expect plenty of 3 and 4 stop strategies. Qualifying should be damn interesting to see. Passing is very possible here so track position isn't as important as it might be but if everyone is taking it easy on tyres then all the extra stops might not be worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

I see Button is tipping Mercedes to be at the front this weekend. Was thinking of putting an each way bet on Schumacher at 70-1 on PP...

What's he basing that on? :S Mercedes have been nearly the worst on tyres this year, particularly under traction.

He said it was because they have the best DRS system and therefore, have the highest straight line speeds and that is something that is very important in Canada.

Here is the link:
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92100

Just had a quick look at the weather forecast and it's meant to get rainy over the next couple of days. :)

He said it was because they have the best DRS system and therefore, have the highest straight line speeds and that is something that is very important in Canada.

Here is the link:

Whilst their straight line speed is excellent i reckon they'll need a 7 stopper given their tyre degradation this year.

• Advertisement

Here is the link:

Nah, not gonna happen.

You would think because of the lack of high speed corners that tyre degradation would be low but we all know what happened last year so I can definitely see Mercedes struggle with that. Will be interesting and especially so if the rain does indeed come. Time for RedBull to find a win harder work, for a change!

You would think because of the lack of high speed corners that tyre degradation would be low but we all know what happened last year so I can definitely see Mercedes struggle with that. Will be interesting and especially so if the rain does indeed come. Time for RedBull to find a win harder work, for a change!
    I've a feeling that traction may be the big issue with tyre-wear this year. Monaco was fine because of the huge downforce levels. Canada with skinny wings and traction zones would be something else. Even if the Mercs gain half a second a lap from DRS there's still a LOT for them to still make up.

Surprisingly decent pace early on, Alonso was on for about a 1.18 dead on his first lap before he backed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Can I listen to the BBC 5live guys commentate on the practice, in a legit way?

IF so anyone got a link?

I thought radio stuff on the BBC site wasn't geolocked. My net is throttled so I can't really check it out.

Vettel should be out of FP2 after that anyway. First time I've ever said this but I think I spotted the crash coming before the driver did, don't know what he was at.

For anyone not watching he messed up into the last chicane, tried to get through it anyway and just went straight into the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,065 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Redflag for Vettel crash into wall of champions

At least it was a short walk back to the pits for him.:pac:

lord lucan wrote: »
    At least it was a short walk back to the pits for him.:pac:

Looked like he got a lift

• Advertisement

Looked like he got a lift

Missed that,only seen him arrive back outside his garage. Probably gone to the medical centre now to make sure THAT finger is ok!:D

New pair of jocks for Massa i think!

He did well to straighten up

What tyres are being used?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Rosberg puts in a cracking lap.
    Ferraris look good, schumi struggling.

No picture :(

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

amacachi wrote: »

For anyone not watching he messed up into the last chicane, tried to get through it anyway and just went straight into the wall.

Hey, was this on tv or the net?

Red Button on BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

dEst2.gif

Marshal fell over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Vegeta wrote: »
    Can I listen to the BBC 5live guys commentate on the practice, in a legit way?

IF so anyone got a link?

they are covering tennis and rugby league - sorry. Wanted to listen to it myself as i dont have sky and hence no red button (how I long for the red button)

Advertisement