Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

I bought €500 of PB about 6 months ago, got a cheque dated 2 days before Christmas for €75, think that works out at around 30% p/a... for the moment, probably wont win now for another 40 years...

thats not fair :mad:
    i had €250 for three years. won nothing
    you should just cash them in now. its very very unlikely you'll win anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings from today's draw: €0
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €300

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Winnings from todays draw: €0 :(
    Total winnings since Sep 2010 on €75: €0
    Total winnings since Dec 2011 on €1000: €75

* Now come back to me o great spirit of boards.ie prizebond winners! * :D

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭XrayMike235

Winnings on todays draw €75 :D

First prize since November 2010.

Total return on €18k since October 2008: €675 :(

Keep thinking I'm going to hit the €20k prize so left them there instead of savings account. Worse off financially for sure, but I love the anticipation of logging in every Friday to see if I have won. You can't put a price on that.

OK, well you could.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Has anyone cashed in their prizebonds? I'm just wondering how easy it is to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brownbeard

Has anyone cashed in their prizebonds? I'm just wondering how easy it is to do.

Have done once before, It's easy enough. Get a form from the post office and send it off with your bonds. They either send you a check or put it in your account depending on what you specify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

ya, and state guarenteed.
    all winnings are tax free.

it's impossible to lose money

Lots of people still don't get we're bankrupt and if the troika pull the plug a state guarantee is worthless.

Oh, and...

Winnings from today's draw: €0
    Total winnings since Mar 2011 on €1k: €225,

I bought another 1k there in January, but it still hasn't arrived. When it does, I'll post results for both individually for clarity's sake, much like howamidifferent does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I've had varying investments in Prize Bonds over the last 5 years, ranging from €2K down to €300. I usually put it in across the summer and whittle it down over the winter. So not really an investment, more of a rainy day fund. Never won anything.

I have a Prize Bond registered on the online tracker on behalf of my 98 year old Granny. She bought it in March 1957!! i.e the very first draw !! Like for a lot of other trusting Irish people. It has NEVER WON a bean. My God, what was €5 worth to the average family then. Think about it. It was half an industrial week's wage in 1968, I am told.

I keep a few now, less than €50 worth, out of an interest in gambling and the little fun that it brings on a Friday. But Prize Bonds are a mug's game. And this is from an eternal dreamer who backed 2010's white Christmas winnings on another one for 2011 !! :rolleyes:

ps The odd innocent (or not) Boardsie on this thread has wondered can state-monitored draws be fixed? read my post #119 here for a link to Frecnh Lottery scratchcard fixing and WAKE UP http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71319851. edit. Here is a valid link to to that EYE-OPENER http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/french-lottery-in-the-dock-over-players-fraud-claims-91058.html ps My original link showed that the Lottery had settled; this one only shows the case unfolding. Here is a link showing that they attempted to settle :- http://egamingpulse.com/archives/1132-French-lotto-loser-wins-315,000-to-halt-lawsuit.html

All forms of madness, sadness and despair are possible where wealth is concerned.

Edit: More useful reading for raffles like Prize bonds http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2025069/Joan-Ginther-Maths-professor-hits-multi-million-scratchcard-lottery-jackpot-4-times.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Black Rock

NTMA State Savings - Prize Bonds

1. Application for Repayment of Prize Bonds
    http://www.ntma.ie/Publications/2012/PrizebondsRepaymentForm.pdf

2. Independence of draw process
    The FAQ on Prize Bonds FAQ 8 on page 3
    http://www.ntma.ie/Publications/2012/FAQPrizeBonds.pdf
    How are prize bond winners selected in the weekly draw
    [FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]The Prize Bonds winners are selected in a computerised draw each week. The numbers are randomly generated by a computer and every draw is observed by an official from the National Treasury Management Agency. The results of every draw are independently analysed to confirm the randomness of the draw.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

• Advertisement

Black Rock wrote: »
    NTMA State Savings - Prize Bonds

1. Application for Repayment of Prize Bonds
    http://www.ntma.ie/Publications/2012/PrizebondsRepaymentForm.pdf

2. Independence of draw process
    The FAQ on Prize Bonds FAQ 8 on page 3
    http://www.ntma.ie/Publications/2012/FAQPrizeBonds.pdf
    How are prize bond winners selected in the weekly draw
    [FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]The Prize Bonds winners are selected in a computerised draw each week. The numbers are randomly generated by a computer and every draw is observed by an official from the National Treasury Management Agency. The results of every draw are independently analysed to confirm the randomness of the draw.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Is there something wrong with the font size and colour settings on your keyboard? You can probably post on forums here to have that solved. All very helpful here....

I note from ALL of your contributions since february 2011 that you have an unhealthy interest in laying out the facts, nay defending NTMA / An Post / State savings. In the interest of disclosure, what are your connections to NTMA / State Savings? Surely you hardly feel that, as a punter, a consumer of State savings products, YOU are best suited to using Google to find and paste information here for our consumption? We are all, I assume, literate and also financially so. All manner of policies and stated objectives (and even good intentions, old chap) do not and would not deter from any system being gamed. As has been shown before (in the links I have provided), such gaming is always possible. I am still unsure as to the true purpose of your cut and paste 'communication', but, as such, it is a very POOR form of communication on an interactive forum.

I leave it to others here and Mods to decide if you are shilling but I am reporting your post. EVERY post you have made so far has been directly linked to state savings vehicles. Is that pure shilling? I'm not a mod. But I do like honest and sceptical / inquisitive minds, not boors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

interesteing....is that you Enda?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

gaz wac wrote: »

Thanks.

OP, sorry for this OT on your excellent thread. I still have Prize Bonds. I just like to be fully financially aware of upsides and downsides and don't appreciate when some Boardsies like the one I've reported take it on themselves to ram 'official' stated facts (policies) down others' throats.

ps I think I just might win this Friday now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

To be honest, ive been following this thread since day one as I was gonna put 20k into PB, for one year, just cos im a gambling man ;) but tbh its now one year since PBW ( op) put the cash in and he is at €300, I cant help but think that if he had just put it into a fixed rate account for the year, he would have over double what he has now in winnings...but then again...he could have won a million :p

great thread OP..

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Marcus_Crassus

I've had €8000 in for approximately the last year and a half and I've won €475: €250 once and three instances of winning €75. I actually won one of those in last Friday's draw.

Btw, I know the money's state guaranteed while in prizebonds, but would that mean much if everything went tits up? Hmm.

I've had €8000 in for approximately the last year and a half and I've won €475: €250 once and three instances of winning €75. I actually won one of those in last Friday's draw.

Btw, I know the money's state guaranteed while in prizebonds, but would that mean much if everything went tits up? Hmm.

Congrats :) Lovely stuff. Not a bad return.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

newbie question, but once you buy some PBs how do you keep an eye on your savings and how much you have? Are the PB slips you are sent just a guarantee or do the have value? Can you log on to a web portal to see your PB numbers and balance?

thanks.

justo wrote: »
    newbie question, but once you buy some PBs how do you keep an eye on your savings and how much you have? Are the PB slips you are sent just a guarantee or do the have value? Can you log on to a web portal to see your PB numbers and balance?

thanks.

yes, www.prizebonds.ie and its Bond Tracker

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Marcus_Crassus

justo wrote: »

thanks.

As An Ri rua said, it's quite easy to track them via the website. Once you buy them they send a certificate to your house which outlines how many bonds you own, their code numbers and their cash worth (€6.25 per bond).

You can log on and check if you won, and if you have won, they send a letter to your house; you can either take the winning money out and spend it or keep it to buy more bonds -- they give you that option on the sheet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

An Ri Rua made some valid comments and with respect to all new posters, this is an excellent thread with some open and honest discussion & comparisons amongst small and big investors, amateur and professional punters who knows - basically all of us Irish citizens who for whatever reasons of economic uncertainty or having a small nest egg to invest in something 'useful' are trying to figure out if PB are a worthy investment.

No need for any 'put downs' or condescending attitude by new arrivals or veterans to the thread. The OP, BrownBeard and some others make this a very worthwhile thread.

My clan of 5 people around country had 1 x E75 win since Christmas with close on 100K in PB since 2010. Seems like the 1-2% win-trend still on for 2012!

Ruaille Buaille I say - scaoil amaich an Bobailin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

So excited: I've been following this thread for months and today I took the plunge and purchased €1,000 worth of Prize Bonds.
    *sits back and waits for €75 cheques to come rolling in*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

How easy and quick is it to cash in prizebonds?

How easy and quick is it to cash in prizebonds?

Very easy, answered earlier in thread. larger time limit when first bought. Decreases after.

11 hours and counting. Let the good times roll folks !

Edit: 1pm. No Win for me or mine :(

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings from today's draw: €75
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €375

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

winning from today's draw: €0
    Total winnings since Aug 2011 on €5k: €75

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Winnings from todays draw: €0 :(
    Total winnings since Sep 2010 on €75: €0
    Total winnings since Dec 2011 on €1000: €75

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

pbwinner wrote: »
    Winnings from today's draw: €75
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €375

Works out at 1.5% return, why not double your return this year:

http://www.rabodirect.ie/savings-ireland/default.aspx?gclid=CMLskZrBk64CFUG9zAod0VRdMA

• Advertisement

Winnings from yesterday's draw (sorry I'm late) :€0

Total winnings since Mar 2011 on €1k: €225
    Total winnings since Jan 2012 on €1k: €0

EDIT:yesterday's not today's, oh the hazards of ctrl+c ctrl+v...

Advertisement