Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€25k invested in prize bonds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

realies wrote: »
    Like where ;)
    Apple, six months ago.

$600 for a share now, 50ish% jump ina few months thanks to a new miniature TV (with a few extra features) that they are bringing out that is nearly identical to their last one.

Gullible people are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

uberalles wrote: »

My Cousin won 25K Punts (real money) on the PBs about 30 years ago and built a house with it and had money left over.

When the house was finished the front garden was covered in tall nettles. He got a load of petrol and burned them all to the ground, reminded me of NAM.

Sounds like the start of a bad detective movie...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brownbeard

Winnings from yesterday's draw:€0

Total winnings since Mar 2011 on €1k: €225
    Total winnings since Jan 2012 on €1k: €0

ctrl+c ctrl+v

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

Winnings from yesterday's draw: €0
    Total winnings since Feb 2012 on €12k: €75

• Registered Users Posts: 28 robwhit

Just went to buy some of these and there's a disclaimer saying

"Please Note : If you use Laser as your payment method your bank may impose a maximum trasaction value of €1500"

Really?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

robwhit wrote: »
    Just went to buy some of these and there's a disclaimer saying

"Please Note : If you use Laser as your payment method your bank may impose a maximum trasaction value of €1500"

Really?

Laser maximum transactions vary, but yeah, they would impose such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Called FEXCO today, and was I disappointed when they informed me that the winning prize was in fact of low value.

Expect to receive written confirmation tomorrow.:(

Looking on the bright side, a win is a win but no party!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

What are FEXCO at requesting you contact them even though it was probably €250 at most. Bunch of clowns! Sonnen, keep the faith!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thethingis

turbobaby wrote: »
    What are FEXCO at requesting you contact them even though it was probably €250 at most. Bunch of clowns! Sonnen, keep the faith!

What are they at? I suppose it is a govt dept so expect BS and as much admin as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

thomasm wrote: »
    Grandparents got the kids 6k of prize bonds in March. Have had 3 €75 wins to date

Have now had 7 * €75 wins on this since March last year which is an 8.7% return over the year. One of the kids has won 4 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

So, what does it generally mean if Fexco ask for you to write to them? Just checked the website there, haven't in ages, and it says I have two unclaimed prizes and to write to them. Am I right in saying that the €75 prizes get posted out to you but anything over has to be gotten through this route? Is the minimum I think I'm getting about €500 (2*250)? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings from today's draw: €0
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €525

So, what does it generally mean if Fexco ask for you to write to them? Just checked the website there, haven't in ages, and it says I have two unclaimed prizes and to write to them. Am I right in saying that the €75 prizes get posted out to you but anything over has to be gotten through this route? Is the minimum I think I'm getting about €500 (2*250)? :)
    You have the option for winnings to be paid directly into your bank account. That's probably a better route than waiting on cheques, and presumably you don't haev to go through the hassle of writing to them for amounts > €75

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brownbeard

Winnings from yesterday's draw:€0

Total winnings since Mar 2011 on €1k: €225
    Total winnings since Jan 2012 on €1k: €0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Total winnings since Feb 2010 on €500: €75
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €50: €0

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭XrayMike235

Winnings from todays draw : €75

Total winnings on 18K since October 2008: €750

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Winnings from todays draw : €75

Total winnings on 18K since October 2008: €750

In 3.5 years, that's a win of roughly €215 a year. Thats a return of less then 1.2% per year! Most one-year fixed rate accounts are at circa 4%, with 18K thats €720 a year. So in 3.5 years that's circa 2.5k.

That's made my mind up, bye bye prize bonds!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭askU

In 3.5 years, that's a win of roughly €215 a year. Thats a return of less then 1.2% per year! Most one-year fixed rate accounts are at circa 4%, with 18K thats €720 a year. So in 3.5 years that's circa 2.5k.

That's made my mind up, bye bye prize bonds!

No DIRT on PB's. 30% on 4% return...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

askU wrote: »
    No DIRT on PB's. 30% on 4% return...

You're right,still better over the 3.5 years.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I know. It's a shocking rate of return. I'd be better off on deposit at 4%.

But I really believe I'm going to win and get the €20K, thereby doubling my money. Excited every week when I check (usually followed by crushing disappointment).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Yeah, I know. It's a shocking rate of return. I'd be better off on deposit at 4%.

But I really believe I'm going to win and get the €20K, thereby doubling my money. Excited every week when I check (usually followed by crushing disappointment).

I'd prefer the chance of a windfall as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

When your tracking bonds online do you put the two letters in front of your bond numbers or omit them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 alco22

put the letters in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

alco22 wrote: »
    put the letters in

Crap! I would have had two unclaimed prizes without the letters!oh well

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Was thinking of putting 10k into these...has there been any instances where people win but don't get informed?

Don't fancy checking each number :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Was thinking of putting 10k into these...has there been any instances where people win but don't get informed?

Don't fancy checking each number :D

You can create an account on the Prizebonds website that lets you save your numbers. No need to type in a range of numbers every time.

I've started with only €250. Came in the post this morning. Here's to lifelong success!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

How do you know?? The draw results aren't published until 1230pm, no?

They're there now, I'd check again if I were you, thou millionaire :-D

• Advertisement

An Ri rua wrote: »
    How do you know?? The draw results aren't published until 1230pm, no?

They're there now, I'd check again if I were you, thou millionaire :-D

I'm psychic, knew I'd win nought :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bigben121

Just checked my unclaimed prizes on prizebonds.ie , It said i have one unclaimed prize but it says this "In order to claim your prize you should write to us at the address below"

Is this unusual?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

bigben121 wrote: »
    Just checked my unclaimed prizes on prizebonds.ie , It said i have one unclaimed prize but it says this "In order to claim your prize you should write to us at the address below"

Is this unusual?

No. But the prizcoos probably as little as 75 euros !
    Don't expect a bigger amount as there are 1000s of x 75 euro wins for every 1 bigger amount

keep us posted here on the win.

Best of luck

uberalles wrote: »
    No. But the prizcoos probably as little as 75 euros !
    Don't expect a bigger amount as there are 1000s of x 75 euro wins for every 1 bigger amount

keep us posted here on the win.

Best of luck

But , I thought that they sent it out in the post without the need of me doing anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thethingis

bigben121 wrote: »
    But , I thought that they sent it out in the post without the need of me doing anything?

Things have changed. God knows why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

No winner since December.

Just a couple of stats for you all, who might be expecting frequent wins.

By my reckoning, in the last 22 years, 423 million approx prize bonds have been sold, that's an average of 19 million per year, or 1.6 million per month. Last month (early February to early March) almost 4.1 million were sold. No idea how many were sold prior to 1990, and of course a significant amount would have been cashed in in the meantime, but that's a quare lot of numbers in the auld draw drum every week.

Keep the faith though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    No winner since December.

Just a couple of stats for you all, who might be expecting frequent wins.

By my reckoning, in the last 22 years, 423 million approx prize bonds have been sold, that's an average of 19 million per year, or 1.6 million per month. Last month (early February to early March) almost 4.1 million were sold. No idea how many were sold prior to 1990, and of course a significant amount would have been cashed in in the meantime, but that's a quare lot of numbers in the auld draw drum every week.

Keep the faith though!

Yes C.H. , I remember you , me and a few others did some quick estimations on this last year. The numbers in the hat are just staggering now and the weekly sales are rapid.
    Even making the 2% p.a. return will sound like a good proposition soon.:rolleyes:
    Myself, had 3 more x 75E wins since last posted in Feb 2012.

Winnings from today's draw €75

Total winnings since October 2008 on €18K: €825

Is it just my imagination or have the number of weekly prizes gone from 4000+ to 8000+ ? When did this happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Bought €3,000 of PB's in late July 2011

Todays draw = €75

So far on the €3,000 invested, total winnings = €150

Thats a 5% return after tax, on just over 9 months investment time. I am happy tbh, but still plan to cash them in once the year is up unless I win again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

Does anyone know if it's possible to get an individual 'statement' of prize bonds from the post office? We bought about €10k worth years ago but currently can't locate the receipts.:( Could do with taking some of the money out now!

I always thought it was strange that they never give you any kind of statement - like a bank does - especially if you have a significant amount (to us anyway!) invested with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

Winnings from today's draw €75

Total winnings since October 2008 on €18K: €825

Is it just my imagination or have the number of weekly prizes gone from 4000+ to 8000+ ? When did this happen?

This could explain why I've started winning a lot more recently. Have won 3 times since late Feb.

I've made a return of 2.33% in the last year but this is the equivalent of a 3.33% return on a bank deposit. Happy enough with that. Still keeping my fingers crossed for a big win someday!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

€75 won today. Total won since March 2011 on 22k is €600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

'Nowt today but it was a Fri 13th ,,,,

I wrote a letter to 'The Prize Bond Company' 2 weeks ago to claim a prize, but i still got no reply , does anyone know how long they take to usually respond?

• Advertisement
Advertisement