Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

€50 approx in today's values (March 1957 to summer 2010) left in PBs from about 2K tops in 2010. No winnings to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings from today's draw: €0
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €375

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭XrayMike235

Winnings from todays draw €0
    Total winnings on €18K since October 2008: €675

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Have received a notification to contact office for a winning! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

€75 won today. Total won since March 2011 on 22k is €525.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brownbeard

This should be interesting, could be a biggie, I hope you'll let us know.

Winnings from yesterday's draw:€0

Total winnings since Mar 2011 on €1k: €225
    Total winnings since Jan 2012 on €1k: €0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

Any update? Surely you have wifi in your hotel in the Bahamas....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Oh dear, the absence of a reply confirms my long held view of Prize Bond "winners".

turbobaby wrote: »
    Any update? Surely you have wifi in your hotel in the Bahamas....

Awaiting reply to my letter;)

BTW does anyone know what happens when you're asked to contact PB Office? I've previously won small amounts, AFAIK I just got a cheque in the post? Been a while since I won anything on PBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Awaiting reply to my letter;)

BTW does anyone know what happens when you're asked to contact PB Office? I've previously won small amounts, AFAIK I just got a cheque in the post? Been a while since I won anything on PBs.

You get the €75 cheque in the post if you've won. I know of 1 person who was asked to contact the Prize Bonds office, they had won €20,000. What can I say but good luck!!!!!! Let us know what happens (and where the party is).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

A letter?!

Phone or E mail! the suspense is killing us!

A letter?!

Phone or E mail! the suspense is killing us!

I know and yes, they specifically requested that I write to them. :rolleyes:

Trying to push it all to oneside but i hope I have good news to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Wow :eek:

Best of luck to you, hope it's great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

I've sent back 8 of mine from different years requesting new numbers. I think my present ones are "stuck to the drum"

Anything for a change of luck.

I've won 175 on 1k over 20 years but nothing for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

Newbie alert:

I wanted to set up a direct debit of €100 a month to buy prizebonds. Am I correct in saying that I would then be sent prizebonds 'tokens' or receipts to that value each month, and that this is the only way of recording my balance? This seems very precarious to me. What if they get lost in the post? What if the prizebonds are stolen from my house? Can I not log in somewhere to see my 'account' and the increase in prize bonds on a monthly basis?

Sorry for being a dope if I have got this wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

Best of luck over the next couple of days Sonnen.

I'd be like a hound looking out the window for the postman!

I know and yes, they specifically requested that I write to them. :rolleyes:

Trying to push it all to oneside but i hope I have good news to share.

Kill the suspense and do a search in their website. Please!:D
    Dig up your prize bond and punch in the bond no. range
    http://www.prizebonds.ie/winning/winning.html

EDIT: The last time €1,000,000 was given away was the draw on the 27th of January. So you can rule out that :-P
    Most you could have won is €20,000

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

justo wrote: »
    Newbie alert:

I wanted to set up a direct debit of €100 a month to buy prizebonds. Am I correct in saying that I would then be sent prizebonds 'tokens' or receipts to that value each month, and that this is the only way of recording my balance? This seems very precarious to me. What if they get lost in the post? What if the prizebonds are stolen from my house? Can I not log in somewhere to see my 'account' and the increase in prize bonds on a monthly basis?

Sorry for being a dope if I have got this wrong.
    The number on each bond is assigned to your name and PPS number, you get the bonds in the post but they're just receipts, you have an account with them in Kerry and you can ask for a statement of your holdings, replace lost bonds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

Thargor wrote: »
    The number on each bond is assigned to your name and PPS number, you get the bonds in the post but they're just receipts, you have an account with them in Kerry and you can ask for a statement of your holdings, replace lost bonds etc.

Excellent. Thanks for the information.

The girl in the post office didn't know this!

Sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

I often wonder how the numbers are secretly picked? Id prefer to see it like the old sweeps.

If randomly, how does a random picker know what number and letter exist to pick them in the first place.

e.g. a bond could be DI 704888

Does a computer ap just keep picking letters and number from thin air until there is a match?

Or is it a scrabble set and a few dice that are kicked around a room till there is a match?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

It's a good question and many of us have pondered the same, posted in various ways and threads over again.

From what I read and understand, it's modelled on ERNIE, the UK Premium Bonds draw system in which the output of a random signal generator is coupled to a computer to provide an Alpha-Numeric result.
    More than that and how it does it is a mystery.

http://www.nsandi.com/savings-premium-bonds-history-ernie-and-premium-bonds
    Electronic Random Number Indicator Equipment

(Now a normal signal generator is similar to a frequency generator as used to create sine/pulse/ pwm etc wave of a specific Hz, say from 10Hertz to 20MHz w mainly used in testing by AudioVideo electronics and Controls industries. It can be triggered and stopped by external source).

The computer matches drawn numbers against those valid bonds residing in the database I expect.

The computer matches drawn numbers against those valid bonds residing in the database I expect.

That's a big assumption, do we have any proof only registered numbers are selected?

BTW - no news yet

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

That's a big assumption, do we have any proof only registered numbers are selected?

I thought it a logical assumption but what's your theory about all this?

To my mind .... currently in the weekly draw:

Residual valid PB's = Total sold since 195x - Total Redemptions

Why would it be different?

As I said several times, all we, as punters, can do is speculate here.
    Only AnPost can really clarify the process that exists.

I thought it a logical assumption but what's your theory about all this?

To my mind .... currently in the weekly draw:

Residual valid PB's = Total sold since 195x - Total Redemptions

Why would it be different?

As I said several times, all we, as punters, can do is speculate here.
    Only AnPost can really clarify the process that exists.

Fair assumption, but not wishing to start any conspiracy theory about profiteering, but how can we be assured? Afterall the whole PB is a big mystery, there is scant information about the draws, little statistical data etc in the public domain about the whole process.

The winning numbers are computer generated but does anyone know if or how only the pool of valid numbers is factored in?

What if numbers published also contain redeemed PBs etc

Less Payouts = More Profit

Who is supervising the draw process? I would certainly like to see much more transparency.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brownbeard

Winnings from today's draw:€0

Total winnings since Mar 2011 on €1k: €225
    Total winnings since Jan 2012 on €1k: €0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Bought €3,000 of PB's in late July 2011

Todays draw = €0

So far on the €3,000 invested, total winnings = €75

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Fair assumption, but not wishing to start any conspiracy theory about profiteering, but how can we be assured? Afterall the whole PB is a big mystery, there is scant information about the draws, little statistical data etc in the public domain about the whole process.

The winning numbers are computer generated but does anyone know if or how only the pool of valid numbers is factored in?

Who is supervising the draw process? I would certainly like to see much more transparency.

Maybe Black Rock of the NTMA can illuminate proceedings with more cut and pastes from official Prize Bonds and NTMA press releases and policy documents. See posts #220-#222. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings from today's draw: €75
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €450

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

While I obviously don't know exactly how the draw works, but I would imagine it's pretty simple, the PB office have a DB of Prize Bond numbers, with a status indicator to identify live from cancelled/invalids, a random picker program runs every week, targeting only valid numbers and spewing out the required number of winners in the relevant order. I don't imagine its any more complicated than that, despite what the conspiracy theorists might have us believe.

BTW, any news, the suspense is bloody killing me!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Almost had a heartattack with excitment when i saw todays winner of the million was from cork and the numbers started with "PZ",alas twas not me...:(

winning from today's draw: €0
    Total winnings since Aug 2011 on €5k: €75

Advertisement