Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Have you tried khan academy for Maths, it's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

David1994 wrote: »
    Yeah I will definitely start learning some nice phrases but at the moment I am focusing on grammar.Yeah I think I might start reading a book as poufsouffle suggested :D I might look into getting Foinse now and again...Ah yeah thanks for the advice and I am actually doing Chemistry atm so I know how ya feel! :P

My teacher has gotten a deal with the Irish independent where we get Foinse and the independent delivered to our school every week for the whole year at only 7 euro something :) maybe ask yours about it?

I don't really study Irish though, I kind of just pick up phrases and vocab as I go along. It's something I don't actually know how to sit down and study :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

ray2012 wrote: »
    sorry for predictions ALREADY for the Leaving but anyone else thinking maybe something on the Junior Cert plans to be abolished may crop up as an Irish/French essay ? :P Or else something on the Education Department since they make the LC papers in October(as far as I know) and a lot is happening with it.. Just a thought ! :smirk:

'Tá an Teastas Sóisearach tabhachtach mar chúiseanna líonmhar éagsula' could be a possible generic title that you'd get, but then again are they really going to contradict their decision with a title like that.. hmm :P

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

My teacher has gotten a deal with the Irish independent where we get Foinse and the independent delivered to our school every week for the whole year at only 7 euro something :) maybe ask yours about it?

I don't really study Irish though, I kind of just pick up phrases and vocab as I go along. It's something I don't actually know how to sit down and study :)

All the stories are on the website anyway for free! :)

http://www.foinse.ie/index.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

decisions wrote: »
    Have you tried khan academy?

It's one of the better ones alright. I always found it pretty helpful anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

We had our last opening school mass today. It's a strange thought to think that we'll never have one of those again. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

0mega wrote: »

All the stories are on the website anyway for free! :)

http://www.foinse.ie/index.php

Still, its pretty good value for a paper a week! :) Plus I like the idea of having a collection of foinse built up by the time June comes along :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

deise_girl wrote: »
    Fairly annoyed at myself and how little Ive done for the past 2 weeks now. Bare minimum is even pushing how little I've done. Gonna need to think up some drastic plans coz Im just not arsed doing anything :/

And yea our mocks 30th January too.
    I'm on this boat. I've taken to doing homework for other subjects during Biology instead of at home, as the class gets fuck all covered anyway, and I haven't done a scrap of learning this year either.
    decisions wrote: »
    How dare you call me sir, I am in fact a girl.
    I always got the impression you were a guy as well, just look at your post history:o
    264480-109201213134am.png
    Rugby, motorsport, soccer and GAA are all up there /blatant sexism

How's the Applied Maths going anyway?
    We had our last opening school mass today. It's a strange thought to think that we'll never have one of those again. :(
    We'd ours 2 weeks ago. I was given a reading, meaning I had to go to the mass for the first time in 2 years. I generally just stayed in a classroom with atheist friends.

I also frequent to Cooking and recipes forum, A&A and fashion but to lurk rather than post. But yeh, I'm a huge sports fan and I do subjects like applied maths and physics so I totally get why some people mistake me for a dude.

Loving applied maths, Circular and SHM is defonatly a question I'm going to do in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

[rant]Fecking furious had the worst day in school, firstly we were in a study class and I was whispering with on girl and the teacher lost it saying how she had told us many times before to stop doing that! (Never happened before!) Then took our names and our class and saw it fit to tell this to our class teacher and the principal! She needs to get some serious perspective! [/rant]

Also it sort of occurred to me today, I'm 16 I'm waaayyyy too young to be making long term career choices! I feel like Elizabeth Bishop in "In The Waiting Room". . . . . .except without the naked African tribeswomen!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I'm on this boat. I've taken to doing homework for other subjects during Biology instead of at home, as the class gets fuck all covered anyway, and I haven't done a scrap of learning this year either..
    Stick together for morale support then! We'll either motivate or bring out the worst in each other... >.<

Are people open day-ing it up this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Stick together for morale support then! We'll either motivate or bring out the worst in each other... >.<

What colleges have open days?

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    What colleges have open days?

UCC, UL, MIC and LIT.

UCC, UL, MIC and LIT.

You were fair quick answering that one!

You were fair quick answering that one!

Cause I was torn between going to UCC or UL, decided on UCC in the end!

If you really wanted to go to both couldnt you have just gone to UL Friday and Cork Saturday? :)

If you really wanted to go to both couldnt you have just gone to UL Friday and Cork Saturday? :)
    I decided in all honesty I was very unlikel to end up going to UL so I dropped the plan altogether ;)

List of Open Days.

Might be of some use to somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Yep going to UL with the school on Friday :D
    Also chemistry question here:
    I just cannot remember how to find the number of orbitals i.e. say Nitrogen's
    electronic config is 1S2,2S2,2P3......I understand it all(sublevels,energy levels etc.) but I cannot remember how to say the number of orbitals it has :o

If anyone can decipher what i am trying to say :P could they give the no. of orbitals for Nitrogen and just tell me how they got it? :P Not having the best day today :/

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

electronic config is 1S2,2S2,2P3......I understand it all(sublevels,energy levels etc.) but I cannot remember how to say the number of orbitals it has :o

If anyone can decipher what i am trying to say :P could they give the no. of orbitals for Nitrogen and just tell me how they got it? :P Not having the best day today :/

... don't really understand what you're on about but is it the 1s2, 2s2, 2p3 (2px1,2py1,2pz1) you're on about by any chance? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

Could anyone here doing Biology let me know their opinions on teaching myself Biology outside of school?

ray2012 wrote: »
    ... don't really understand what you're on about but is it the 1s2, 2s2, 2p3 (2px1,2py1,2pz1) you're on about by any chance? :p

Yeah thats it :P Just unsure how many orbitals it has(the number of orbitals)...Basicall coz we are doing Q's involving writing out the electronic configuration and the stating:
    No. of energy levels
    No. of sublevels
    No. of orbitals
    For each....I know I probably made it really confusing :P Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

yeh i know what u mean, basically u need to know that s has 1 orbital, p has 3 orbitals so you count them all so nitrogen has 7 electrons therefore the electronic configuration is 1S2, 2S2, 2P3 AND SINCE s has one orbital and p has 3, there are 5 orbitals in nitrogen(2 's' sub-levels and 1 'p' sub-level).

hope thats somewhat comprehendible .... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

ConorCBS wrote: »
    Could anyone here doing Biology let me know their opinions on teaching myself Biology outside of school?

It's possible, with a lot of hard work. The course is fairly long with a lot of complicated parts.. You also have to do experiments (not sure how many), and write them up .. so I'm not sure how you'd manage that part of it. It's possible, but I wouldn't recommend it. Would seem quite daunting IMO.
    If you really want to do a subject by yourself, I'd recommend Economics or Ag Science if you're not doing either of them now. Ag Science is similar to Biology in parts, but a much shorter course I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Hairycopper

Never posted in here because I'm still in denial that I'm doing my leaving cert. In a state pf panic and thought it would be appropriate time to post. Searching for 5 hours for my pink home ec write up booklet, nowhere to be found. Freaking out, pretty sure the teachers do not get spare.

yeh i know what u mean, basically u need to know that s has 1 orbital, p has 3 orbitals so you count them all so nitrogen has 7 electrons therefore the electronic configuration is 1S2, 2S2, 2P3 AND SINCE s has one orbital and p has 3, there are 5 orbitals in nitrogen(2 's' sub-levels and 1 'p' sub-level).

hope thats somewhat comprehendible .... :D

Thank you so much! :D I remember now thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Never posted in here because I'm still in denial that I'm doing my leaving cert. In a state pf panic and thought it would be appropriate time to post. Searching for 5 hours for my pink home ec write up booklet, nowhere to be found. Freaking out, pretty sure the teachers do not get spare.

Welcome aboard :p Chill... You're not gonna miss out on like 40% of your final grade because you lost a bit of paper :) Think they can get extras through some way.Be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

UL one is this Friday and Saturday actually

UL one is this Friday and Saturday actually

FYI there's no shuttle running between MIC, UL and LIT on Saturday only on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Hairycopper

Welcome aboard :p Chill... You're not gonna miss out on like 40% of your final grade because you lost a bit of paper :) Think they can get extras through some way.Be grand

After searching few hours yesterday and all evening today, i found it! Behind the microwave, smells horrible but I'm SO happy!!

Oh god this whole LC is real now..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement