Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

ray2012 wrote: »
    I keep saying ''next weekend i'll start studying'', but I notice myself saying the same thing every weekend now and doing no study. NEXT WEEK!.....maybe.

Same! I amn't able to find time to study with the amount of homework that I'm getting. I spent a good 6 hours on homework today, no study! Feel like I'm so behind with studying :/ Ah well, there's always next week :p

My mocks start the week after the February mid term, so still a while away. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Its not easy lads and lasses, not easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Just wondering how do ye all study for Irish? I like Irish but find it the hardest to study!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

David1994 wrote: »
    Just wondering how do ye all study for Irish? I like Irish but find it the hardest to study!

Right now I'm going over grammar on Eircom StudyHub, if you have that? :)

0mega wrote: »

Yeah I have it :) I have never used it for Irish..Is it good? I normally go over grammar and vocab because I hate learning off answers! :P

• Advertisement

Yeah I have it :) I have never used it for Irish..Is it good? I normally go over grammar and vocab because I hate learning off answers! :P

Fairly basic but good revision all the same. I find it hard learning grammar out of the book, so having it explained to you by a teacher suits me much better. :P

Fairly basic but good revision all the same. I find it hard learning grammar out of the book, so having it explained to you by a teacher suits me much better. :P

Yeah I need to brush up on some stuff so will have a look :P Yeah sometimes its just nicer to have someone explain it!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Poufsouffle

My mocks start on the 28th of January :(. I don't know why, but I always thought mocks were on in March or something, until this year.

You could try reading a book in Irish to help. I read one while I was in the Gaeltacht because the idea of not reading for three weeks was horrific, but I didn't keep it up when I got home, unfortunately. I am reading a novel in French at the moment, which is actually a lot funner than it sounds. I've noticed an improvement in my vocab and grammar but I'd agree that perfecting basic grammar is the key to languages.

Anyone else writing up their geographical investigation? Trying to keep within the word count is so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I don't really study Irish to be honest! I need to start though. I'm quite good at Irish so I can come up with fairly good sentences etc but basically I know a few nice sentences for each topic (my teacher drills them into us!) and well I just write from there! For poetry I just go through the poem on the day and answer it. I would suggest learning nice sentences for each poem, story etc (know the story inside out - I just tell the story referring to the question and it has gotten me As). Then try and piece together nice paragraphs from different sources (Foinse is good) and well I suppose just learn to your style. I learn by repeating it twice or three times but maybe writing would be better for you.
    Sorry if this is a bit jumbled up, I've taken a break in the middle of studying biology so my head just isn't right :P

I don't really study Irish to be honest! I need to start though. I'm quite good at Irish so I can come up with fairly good sentences etc but basically I know a few nice sentences for each topic (my teacher drills them into us!) and well I just write from there! For poetry I just go through the poem on the day and answer it. I would suggest learning nice sentences for each poem, story etc (know the story inside out - I just tell the story referring to the question and it has gotten me As). Then try and piece together nice paragraphs from different sources (Foinse is good) and well I suppose just learn to your style. I learn by repeating it twice or three times but maybe writing would be better for you.
    Sorry if this is a bit jumbled up, I've taken a break in the middle of studying biology so my head just isn't right :P

Yeah I will definitely start learning some nice phrases but at the moment I am focusing on grammar.Yeah I think I might start reading a book as poufsouffle suggested :D I might look into getting Foinse now and again...Ah yeah thanks for the advice and I am actually doing Chemistry atm so I know how ya feel! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

There are so many useful things I should be doing. But instead I'm on boards "researching for my English essay".

I need to stop kidding myself.

decisions wrote: »
    There are so many useful things I should be doing. But instead I'm on boards "researching for my English essay".

I need to stop kidding myself.

Boards.It's a dangerous place.

Da interwebz is a dangerous place.

Da interwebz is a dangerous place.

Well played sir.However, Boards as a subcoordinate of the great web is equally dangerous.

How dare you call me sir, I am in fact a girl.

I always automatically assume posters are male if it's not obvious from their usernames, so this is news to me too. :P

Fair enough, I do the same thing :P

Sorry man I honestly just assume they are male posters :P Not a good habit I suppose...I've learnt my lesson ;)

Tiz grand.

What is everyone been up to recently?

I've been to 2 18ths and the Leinster v Munster match.

Tiz grand.

What is everyone been up to recently?

I've been to 2 18ths and the Leinster v Munster match.

Not much tbh...Got shoes if you count that as news :P As you can see my life is very interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Is eircom study hub good?? I've been trying to get my parents to switch over but amnt sure how good it is?? :)

Is eircom study hub good?? I've been trying to get my parents to switch over but amnt sure how good it is?? :)

Not worth switching over for alone, but handy enough if you're an Eircom customer.

I would not leave UPC for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Not worth switching over for alone, but handy enough if you're an Eircom customer.
    My parents are with Vodafone atm which doesn't really have much and does eircom have tutorials or something as I am finding maths hard :( thanks :). So just wondering is it useful for maths and should I switch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

It's theoretically possible to borrow a studyhub password from a friend, at least it used to be.
    Colm! does not endorse using Eircom Studyhub without paying for it and is speaking entirely hypothetically here.

Colm! wrote: »
    It's theoretically possible to borrow a studyhub password from a friend, at least it used to be.
    Colm! does not endorse using Eircom Studyhub without paying for it and is speaking entirely hypothetically here.

Or alternatively, if you're a moral person, you can purchase each video individually without being an Eircom customer.. for €12.95 :eek:

http://examsupport.ie/

My parents are with Vodafone atm which doesn't really have much and does eircom have tutorials or something as I am finding maths hard :( thanks :). So just wondering is it useful for maths and should I switch

Yeah, the maths isn't bad. It mainly just goes over solutions to exam questions rather than teach you the cirriculum. It's more revision than tutoring.

potential.png

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

sorry for predictions ALREADY for the Leaving but anyone else thinking maybe something on the Junior Cert plans to be abolished may crop up as an Irish/French essay ? :P Or else something on the Education Department since they make the LC papers in October(as far as I know) and a lot is happening with it.. Just a thought ! :smirk:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

So just wondering is it useful for maths and should I switch

Wouldn't switch just for Maths tbf. Maths tutorial videos are everywhere. Just search Youtube :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement