Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Lads, Berocca boost to help with the ol' study... Yes or no? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Don't be a wuss, caffeine pills or bust!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Yes. Well I feel it helped me slightly, placebo effect and all that :rolleyes:

Oh and also, Hamlet is a play of epic proportions. Who can forget the bants Hamlet had with Horatio as his wingman? The shifts he got off Ophelia (who later rejected him, awwh). It was a Single Text to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sexi Mama!**!

Can somebody please tell me exactly how many poems and pros are expected to be studies for Higher level Irish?
    I'd love you even more if you told me what they are, my teacher aint that good :(:(

does everybody do the same? Cos I heard that some teachers do different poems with their students (not including the 5poems v an dráma).

Thanks guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Can somebody please tell me exactly how many poems and pros are expected to be studies for Higher level Irish?
    I'd love you even more if you told me what they are, my teacher aint that good :(:(

does everybody do the same? Cos I heard that some teachers do different poems with their students (not including the 5poems v an dráma).

Thanks guys! :)

5 peoms - geibheann, colscaradh, spailin fananch, an tearrach thiar and mo ghra-sa and 5 pros but theres a bit of choice within that so your teacher probably picks them

Then you do either 5 extra peoms, an triail or someother book

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

subz3r0 wrote: »

Gave it a go this evening. I can confirm, it works ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

subz3r0 wrote: »

Oh and also, Hamlet is a play of epic proportions. Who can forget the bants Hamlet had with Horatio as his wingman? The shifts he got off Ophelia (who later rejected him, awwh). It was a Single Text to remember.

I wish we got Hamlet! Macbeth starts out pretty good, but ends up feeling really choppy and rushed in the second half with too much going on and not enough build up or aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sexi Mama!**!

Glee_GG wrote: »
    5 peoms - geibheann, colscaradh, spailin fananch, an tearrach thiar and mo ghra-sa and 5 pros but theres a bit of choice within that so your teacher probably picks them

Then you do either 5 extra peoms, an triail or someother book

do those 5 poems mentionned include both ordinary level and higher level poems?? i thought you had to do more than 5.

thanks a mil :D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

do those 5 poems mentionned include both ordinary level and higher level poems?? i thought you had to do more than 5.

thanks a mil :D

Those 5 poems are the only ones on the ordinary level course, so you have to cover them for higher level too and they are the only ones you may be asked to read in your oral. The option is there then to do either five extra poems or part of the novel...don't know what the story is for the novel as my teacher picked the extra poems option! :)

Then you have to do 5 prós too but as far as I know there is a choice with those as well. :)

Those 5 poems are the only ones on the ordinary level course, so you have to cover them for higher level too and they are the only ones you may be asked to read in your oral. The option is there then to do either five extra poems or part of the novel...don't know what the story is for the novel as my teacher picked the extra poems option! :)

Then you have to do 5 prós too but as far as I know there is a choice with those as well. :)

The options for the novels are an Trial (I'm not sure how much of that cause our teacher did all of it :rolleyes:) and tigh ná thit orm is the other option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

The options for the novels are an Trial (I'm not sure how much of that cause our teacher did all of it :rolleyes:) and tigh ná thit orm is the other option.

You only have to do the first 8 chapters of An Tigh Ná Thit Orm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I have no motivation to finish my homework.

ConorCBS wrote: »

You only have to do the first 8 chapters of An Tigh Ná Thit Orm.
    That's it, I met Micheal What's his face when I was at Irish college, really interesting and funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Fert94

Isn't Gafa one of the novels? If not my class has spent the last month on it for nothing :/

So what does everyone make of the idea for the new Junior Cert?

I think personally it sounds like a total joke, the plan is to examine everything at common level (except in English Irish and Maths where it'll still be higher and ordinary) this will mean it'll be totally dumbed down going into your leaving cert, soon they'll be going into 5th year and they'll be learning how to add.

Also this idea of continuous assessment will mean that rather than a load of pressure at the end of 3rd year, it'll just be constant pressure from the very start.

However the point that really irks me is the phased roll-out, this'll mean some people will be doing the new English continuous assessment while all other subjects will be the old end of 3rd year junior cert. If they've learned anything from Project Maths (which they clearly haven't) is that rather than rushing it in on a "phased basis" they would take their time and plan this properly so that everyone knows clearly what's going to happen and then one group of 1st years do the whole thing, that way they don't end up in the same position like us this year where we don't have a clue what's going to happen come next June.

Also it takes away the most basic reason of having the Junior Cert, as an elaborate practice-run for the Leaving Cert.

This is all going to end in tears, the NCCA and the Dept of Education couldn't organise a p**s-up in a brewery never mind change the Junior Cert. Makes me glad I'm done and dusted my Junior Cert, god help the poor fúckers who have to suffer under *King Ruari's*reign.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Also this idea of continuous assessment will mean that rather than a load of pressure at the end of 3rd year, it'll just be constant pressure from the very start.

So, the JC exams will have to be sent away from each school, every month, corrected, and maybe sent back to the school again ? Seems like an awful hassle, plus the examiners/correctors will be píssed!

ray2012 wrote: »

So, the JC exams will have to be sent away from each school, every month, corrected, and maybe sent back to the school again ? Seems like an awful hassle, plus the examiners/correctors will be píssed!
    No seemingly their own teachers will be correcting it :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

That is a beyond stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I see many faults to the new system! There will be a lot of bias. I mean one teacher may have different standards to another and may mark harder/easier. As well as that they may have a particular disliking to one student/loves another. So glad it's all behind me!

I see many faults to the new system! There will be a lot of bias. I mean one teacher may have different standards to another and may mark harder/easier. As well as that they may have a particular disliking to one student/loves another. So glad it's all behind me!
    Yeah exactly why seem like an incompetent useless teacher when you could boost your grades!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Are they going to get feedback after their tests are corrected? Like will they get them back to go through them and see where they went wrong with things?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I haven't really heard a lot about it but it all sounds like it'll be a load of rubbish and will never be implemented properly. Tbh they'll make a hames of the whole thing......

In other news we had our retreat today. It was definately worth it after all. Our group's leader was scottish and absolutely hilarious. Without doubt the best day I've had in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

New JC is a bit of a joke really, your going to have a load of students not used to rote learning getting the biggest shock of there life's when they get to Leaving Cert plus the system just seems like its generally dumbing down everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I think continuous assessment would be better for the Leaving Cert to be honest..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Two tests tommorow. Still haven't started studying for the leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

0mega wrote: »
    I think continuous assessment would be better for the Leaving Cert to be honest..

I fully agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

what a mess they'll make out of the JC. It's grand the way it is IMO, that cramming session that goes on the days leading up to your first exam.. :smirk:
    If they change the Junior Cert to continuous assessment, it doesn't make sense not to also change the Leaving to continuous.. The JC is suppose to prepare you for the leaving cert and to give you an idea what the leaving cert exams will be like.
    Would eliminate the purpose of the junior cert. stupido rialtas na hÉireann.

Junior cert should stay the same but with maybe a quarter less subjects. Maybe 6. The Leaving cert is quite fair as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

Junior cert should stay the same but with maybe a quarter less subjects. Maybe 6. The Leaving cert is quite fair as is.

I don't think doing 10 subjects is too hard for the Junior Cert. it's very manageable.

• Advertisement

ConorCBS wrote: »
    I don't think doing 10 subjects is too hard for the Junior Cert. it's very manageable.

It's not hard but doesn't make sense. I didn't give two ****s about Biology or TD/DCG. Although I did get an A in the former but still you should be allowed to choose subjects you like doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement